The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JD-990 Vintage Card Question? Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 25th August 2010
Gear Maniac

JD-990 Vintage Card Question?

I feel like a bit of a dunce but I have been having a play with the JD-990 this morning and can’t seem to access any of the vintage expansion card sounds.

The screen says expanded upon boot up so according to the manual the card has been installed correctly.

When I scroll through the internal sounds it only goes up to B88 which is the last of the factory presets?

Where do I find the vintage sounds from the expansion board?
Old 25th August 2010
Lives for gear

You have to access the sound on the ROM boards from the Utilities button.... you have the choice of overwriting a complete bank or auditioning the Vintage sounds one at a time and then copying from the board to the Preset memory or card memory if you have one.
Old 25th August 2010
Mr Arkadin
Or scroll down to aeonflux's post with the sysex files:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-jd-990-a.html
Old 25th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys.
Old 25th August 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Roland JD-990 Vintage Card patches (how to load)

Since this question has been asked many times, here is full info for archive purposes. I hope it will pop up first when ppl searchin for infoz.
tags: roland jd-990 jd990 vintage card patches syx load

This is how you load Vintage Expansion (or any other SR-JV expansion) card patches into JD-990:
  • Press the UTILITY
  • Press CARD
  • Press Ld PRM
  • Use cursor keys to reach top left parameter that should say PCM CARD
  • Use INC(rease) button to change it into EXP BOARD/JV
  • We are getting close!
  • Now you can go two ways. You can use cursor and shift to the right to select number 001 (which you probably will do)
  • At this moment you are in real time browse mode
  • That means, from now on, as you increase / change the patch number, the new patch from the card can be heard instantly
  • By increasing the number, you are browsing 255 Roland JV-80 patches
  • Alternative point is to skip JV patches while you were at EXP BOARD/JV just press INC once more time, you will enter the JD area (exclusive club for JD-990 owners only!). At this point you should see EXP BOARD/JD with "Portamental" patch name written below. Congratulations!
  • If you are lazy to play the keyboard, push the volume knob instead
  • To rapidly move through patches, push the VALUE knob while rotating it. This gives you x 10 per tick that even Capt. Picard wouldn't be ashamed of
  • When editing: to select two or more tones at the same time - while holding Tone 1 press any other(s) - although i think you know this one
Alternative solution:

If you don't want to go through this procedure each time, you can load them bank by bank into JD-990:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...ches_sysex.zip (it's a link link to Aeon's post attachment)

Extract only vs-jd-0*.syx files (4 x 64 patch banks for 256 total). That's 4 banks of JD patches.
The other 4 banks vs-jv-0*.syx are for JV series and they somehow don't sound well in JD. Skip those.
Old 26th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Nice one Don!

Old 26th August 2010
Gear Maniac

When loading in the patches from the vintage card into the main memory of the JD-990 do they appear as additional sounds or do I have to overwrite existing factory patches?
Old 26th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Tripper View Post
When loading in the patches from the vintage card into the main memory of the JD-990 do they appear as additional sounds or do I have to overwrite existing factory patches?
They should just load into the "user int" bank, with the factory banks in "preset A +B' being left untouched ( i dont think you overwrite these). Whatever's in your "user int" bank will b overwritten.

Its nice to have the additional Roland M-512E Ram card to use too.
Old 26th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Tries to do some research on these cards but couldn't find much info.

How many patches can the Roland M-512E Ram card hold?

I had a quick look on ebay and they seem to go for around $70-80USD.

Are they pretty much an essential addition to the JD-990?
Old 26th August 2010
Mr Arkadin
The cards double the user memory (i.e. an extra 64 patches). Note you can use an M-256E too. The M-512 does not give you extra patch memory as it's formatted to JD standard.

Fairly essential I would say, don't we always want more storage space? I have three with all my fave sounds on that I swap around.
Old 26th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
The cards double the user memory (i.e. an extra 64 patches). Note you can use an M-256E too. The M-512 does not give you extra patch memory as it's formatted to JD standard.

Fairly essential I would say, don't we always want more storage space? I have three with all my fave sounds on that I swap around.

Cool - so the M-256E is the one I should be looking to get?
Old 26th August 2010
Mr Arkadin
Whichever is cheaper. As the M-512 can store more patches in certain Roland devices it is probably slightly more sought after as those devices will not be able to use the M-256. However the JD is compatible with both. I have two 256s and one 512.
Old 16th October 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Since this question has been asked many times, here is full info for archive purposes. I hope it will pop up first when ppl searchin for infoz.
tags: roland jd-990 jd990 vintage card patches syx load

This is how you load Vintage Expansion (or any other SR-JV expansion) card patches into JD-990:
  • Press the UTILITY
  • Press CARD
  • Press Ld PRM
  • Use cursor keys to reach top left parameter that should say PCM CARD
  • Use INC(rease) button to change it into EXP BOARD/JV
  • We are getting close!
  • Now you can go two ways. You can use cursor and shift to the right to select number 001 (which you probably will do)
  • At this moment you are in real time browse mode
  • That means, from now on, as you increase / change the patch number, the new patch from the card can be heard instantly
  • By increasing the number, you are browsing 255 Roland JV-80 patches
  • Alternative point is to skip JV patches while you were at EXP BOARD/JV just press INC once more time, you will enter the JD area (exclusive club for JD-990 owners only!). At this point you should see EXP BOARD/JD with "Portamental" patch name written below. Congratulations!
  • If you are lazy to play the keyboard, push the volume knob instead
  • To rapidly move through patches, push the VALUE knob while rotating it. This gives you x 10 per tick that even Capt. Picard wouldn't be ashamed of
  • When editing: to select two or more tones at the same time - while holding Tone 1 press any other(s) - although i think you know this one
Alternative solution:

If you don't want to go through this procedure each time, you can load them bank by bank into JD-990:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...ches_sysex.zip (it's a link link to Aeon's post attachment)

Extract only vs-jd-0*.syx files (4 x 64 patch banks for 256 total). That's 4 banks of JD patches.
The other 4 banks vs-jv-0*.syx are for JV series and they somehow don't sound well in JD. Skip those.
This why I love this forum. I had forgotten the steps to access the vintage card. Thank you Don!
Old 28th April 2016
Lives for gear

This thread should be made a Sticky.

Roland is VERY cryptic on how to access expansion cards in the JD-990. A person would logically think expansion cards in the JD-990 are accessed like other Roland Romplers of the era, such as the JV-2080. In the 2080 you can access any of the 8 available cards (if installed of course) directly through the front panel or through MIDI Bank Change messages. It is not necessary to copy patches to internal memory first. This is obviously not the case with the JD-990, although, I really wish it was. I assumed it was possible to access the Vintage Synth card through MIDI Bank change messages before I bought the JD-990. I often program Bank changes in this way. Not having direct access to patches without copying them to internal memory first certainly means a different approach is required for the JD-990. It took a lot of digging to finally find this info here. Thanks!
Old 28th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
This thread should be made a Sticky.

Roland is VERY cryptic on how to access expansion cards in the JD-990. A person would logically think expansion cards in the JD-990 are accessed like other Roland Romplers of the era, such as the JV-2080. In the 2080 you can access any of the 8 available cards (if installed of course) directly through the front panel or through MIDI Bank Change messages. It is not necessary to copy patches to internal memory first. This is obviously not the case with the JD-990, although, I really wish it was. I assumed it was possible to access the Vintage Synth card through MIDI Bank change messages before I bought the JD-990. I often program Bank changes in this way. Not having direct access to patches without copying them to internal memory first certainly means a different approach is required for the JD-990. It took a lot of digging to finally find this info here. Thanks!
Well the thing is nearly 25 years old. It had whooping 3x64 patch memory, which was amazing (the 800 had 64). How else could you handle the 255 patches that came with the card? Back in the days the cards came with everything one needed to know. It wasnt cryptic to understand and compared to most other electronic instruments it was quite easy. One could even install the card by himself, without paying a technician to do it. Stunning at this time.

The JV 2080 came like 4 years later, which in regards to memory equaled lightyears in the 90's . However it was already solved for the better when the 1080 came out, which was 2-3 years after the JD series.
Old 1st June 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks for this info.

Just got a JD-990 last weekend, installed the 04 card (because that's apparently what you're supposed to do) and ran into the same question. No obvious patch select feature from the front panel, and the internal / user banks were so small it seemed baffling how you would access 512 patches from the card any way at all.

Reading through the manual was no help, of course. It basically just mentions that an expansion card can add waveforms. (So, I wondered, the patches need to be imported by some other means? Hope it's not from the CD -- I didn't get one!)

Makes sense now, in retrospect. The JD-990 is sort of a step between the D-550 (where patches are meant to come and go, and there are so few that it has dedicated buttons to cue them up by index number) and the JV/XV-x080 (where there are so many patches that you need a SQL database just to help locate them.)

Newcomers be advised, there's a free technology history lesson involved in using vintage gear.
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

Yep, you should definitely consider getting a memory card, such as the M-256E. The presets on the 990's I bank are quite good and usable, so I've basically just loaded my favorites from the Vintage board onto the memory card.

Of course, the presets on the Vintage board are even better than the internal ones, so at a certain point, you've just got to grab a second M-256E card so you can store another 64 patches.
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
Of course, the presets on the Vintage board are even better than the internal ones, so at a certain point, you've just got to grab a second M-256E card so you can store another 64 patches.
Or four cards in my case.

There was some guy making a card that would access many more memory locations but I'm not sure what happened to that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search