The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Safe to place monitors on top of equipment racks? Channel Strip Plugins
Old 23rd July 2010
Here for the gear

Safe to place monitors on top of equipment racks?

I've got two equipment racks like the one attached on both sides of my LCD and I've got my studio monitors laying horizontally top of them at the perfect ear level. It seems to work fine and I've seen this in other pics.

However I'm about to buy some new DynAudio BM6a to replace the crap I have now and I'm just wondering is it even safe to put speakers on top the equipment like that. I'm concerned the vibrations and thumping of the speaks might cause some harm to the equipment in the rack.

Any one have an opinion on this? I'd really like to keep it that way for space reasons and that I like to have my gear in arms length.

Please help!!

Thanks!

Note, not my pic, but an example of the racks I have, the studio monitors are on top in my case:

Last edited by newjax; 23rd July 2010 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: add pic
Old 23rd July 2010
Gear Addict

Have one of those foam monitor holders, and it should keep them from rattling off....As far as I know, it should be fine, but just make sure the magnets inside the monitors won't damage your rack equipment...
Old 23rd July 2010
Should be fine as long as they are at the right hight and angle for you. You might want to put mopads underneath the monitors to isolate them a bit is all.

Old 23rd July 2010
You want your monitors to be at ear level and preferably isolated so they don't vibrate other things in the room. Thats why they sell hollow speaker stands that you fill with sand with pointy mounting feet.

Other then that, thats a fine location and I have one pair thats similarly setup because of lack of space.
Old 23rd July 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks guys. I still have my concerns but I guess hearing it from other people makes me feel better about it

Guess I'll stick with my plan.
Old 23rd July 2010
Gear Nut

I have those same ikea racks on top of an ikea desk with my monitors on top just like you are wanting to do. It worked out perfectly for me and I'm a tall dude. The only thing though, the desk was just a bit too narrow to have both racks and the monitor sitting on top but I just wall mounted the flat panel monitor and all is good in the hood and I like it better that way anyhow. Go for it!
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear

they'll be fine. i have my monitors sitting on top of 6U racks. i put a dense rubber matt under the monitors. they stay put.

just make sure the listening height isn't exactly equidistant between ceiling and floor. they should either be above or below the halfway mark.
Old 23rd July 2010
i have my monitors sitting on top of glass with those auralex foam things and it's like they're floating on air

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search