The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKAI Z8 or MPC4000 Tricks & Tips ?
Old 14th August 2016
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
well that sounds like a very slow fan. if you had a lot of heat produced then a slow speed can become a problem. especially in a hot environment. that's basically why I had two speeds and an off. just check it now and then. it should be ok for the application.
No, it is not slow at all. It comes with two cable adapters to slow down the fan and I didn't use any of them. The fan is directly connected to the power source for the HD - an adapter cable for this was included. It is a clever designed product.
Old 14th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
No, it is not slow at all. It comes with two cable adapters to slow down the fan and I didn't use any of them. The fan is directly connected to the power source for the HD - an adapter cable for this was included. It is a clever designed product.
so what is its rpm specs ? because 16,-€ aint bad for a quiet fan which can shift air
Old 14th August 2016
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
so what is its rpm specs ? because 16,-€ aint bad for a quiet fan which can shift air
NF-A6x25 FLX
Old 14th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
yeah it's a smaller fan with 3 speeds.

60x60x25 mm
50x50 mm mounting hole spacings

3000 RPM = 19,3 dB(A)
2400 RPM = 14,5 dB(A)
1600 RPM = 8,2 dB(A)

the MV I think was an 80 x 80 x 25mm
maybe around 1200 to 1600 RPM and maybe not as deep
a replacement which I didn't install because it wasn't any quieter
probably had around a 17.5 dB(A) level. so it's around the louder rating at a lower RPM

getting a good quiet fan is a pita, and partly why I decided to find a switchable solution
which included a mode for total silent running. but that one looks like a good quiet fan.
I don't know what dB(A) I get at my slow speed setting.
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

Hey Muser, maybe you could edit the first post in this thread to add a link to the chapter & verses post#318
Old 14th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
Hey Muser, maybe you could edit the first post in this thread to add a link to the chapter & verses post#318
that's what I tried first, but it doesn't allow me to edit it. I thought it was some kind of time limit thing .
Old 15th August 2016
Gear Guru

some of the pictures are disappearing from the first page for me. not sure if it's happening for anyone else.
Old 28th September 2016
Gear Head
this thread is golden!
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Thread revived

I've become disenchanted with the the MPC1000 + JJOS I got recently to replace my 3K and I want a deeper sampling engine. The Z8 / MPC4K could be just the ticket but the 4K is massive and unpractical. My idea is to combine a Z8 with an Ableton Push2 as the sequencer. This would be a great combo in the studio but still allow for portability with the Push and a laptop on stage.

The Z8's detachable front panel will sit right next to the Push to create a hybrid machine basically using Push as the Z8's sequencer. Interface midi out to Z8 in / Z8 midi out to interface in. My main concern is how to record qlink movements? I don't have access to either a Z8 or the Push right now and I'm trying to figure out if this can be done smoothly and effectively giving me a powerful combo with smooth workflow or if it will just be a drag.

Thoughts?

p.s
I dislike the new MPCs so not considering them.
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flextone View Post
Thread revived

I've become disenchanted with the the MPC1000 + JJOS I got recently to replace my 3K and I want a deeper sampling engine. The Z8 / MPC4K could be just the ticket but the 4K is massive and unpractical. My idea is to combine a Z8 with an Ableton Push2 as the sequencer. This would be a great combo in the studio but still allow for portability with the Push and a laptop on stage.

The Z8's detachable front panel will sit right next to the Push to create a hybrid machine basically using Push as the Z8's sequencer. Interface midi out to Z8 in / Z8 midi out to interface in. My main concern is how to record qlink movements? I don't have access to either a Z8 or the Push right now and I'm trying to figure out if this can be done smoothly and effectively giving me a powerful combo with smooth workflow or if it will just be a drag.

Thoughts?

p.s
I dislike the new MPCs so not considering them.
If you get rid of the sequencer....what next? the sampler.And then all in one ableton>>>>>>>>>and then get the 4000 again lol
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Addict

Q links are setup on a multi basis
in my MPC4k they can/are recorded with the track
-i don't know if the Q links appear at the MIDI out-
but since there is such an extensive (modulation) matrix
and only 4 (possible) Q links (per multi) (on a Z8?)
why not assign some MIDI cc in the matrix
and record in your Push?
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger001 View Post
Q links are setup on a multi basis
in my MPC4k they can/are recorded with the track
-i don't know if the Q links appear at the MIDI out-
but since there is such an extensive (modulation) matrix
and only 4 (possible) Q links (per multi) (on a Z8?)
why not assign some MIDI cc in the matrix
and record in your Push?
the question is whether this can feel as tightly integrated as an mpc does, or at least close. i think cc's behave a bit differently than the internal sampling engine signal flow, like keeping the parameter value where it is without defaulting back to 0 or 63 or whatever.

possibly too big of a headache. I'll keep researching.

I don't even use Ableton...

Last edited by flextone; 19th June 2017 at 08:37 AM..
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Addict

this (on the MPC) is a setting and can be changed
(to return or not to default)
probably true, but Qlinks can point to CC's too
so you get best of both worlds (?)
-on the MPC you have a MIDI screen where you can define the MIDI flow (intern-extern etc)-
i never experienced tight issues with this sampler
everything as narrow as a virgin ...
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

I know that people are putting effort into internal SSD drives to replace the old IDEs, but you need converter cards and alternate mounting etc. and frankly I couldn't be bothered. Now that USB flash drives are getting much bigger I thought I'd look at that as a storage solution. I had great success with this tiny 64GB SanDisk drive. At first I couldn't format it FAT32, Windows only offered exFAT (and NTFS), but the solution for this was to partition it (in half) and try again. Success! This allowed me to format each partition FAT32 and the MPC4000 recognised it. By the way, I couldn't format the drive on the MPC.

It takes up no space whatsoever, and 64GB is plenty of room for samples - these also come in 128GB versions and they are the same tiny size!

I'm guessing that the transfer speed might be slower than an internal drive, but I'm not experiencing what I'd consider slow load speeds so I'm not bothered by this.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/ultra-fit-usb

Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah its crazy.I just put a tiny pen drive with samples into the mpc and recognized it straight away and could load and unload with no sweat.Gotta love the MPC4000.
Old 29th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4thlab View Post
I know that people are putting effort into internal SSD drives to replace the old IDEs, but you need converter cards and alternate mounting etc. and frankly I couldn't be bothered. Now that USB flash drives are getting much bigger I thought I'd look at that as a storage solution. I had great success with this tiny 64GB SanDisk drive. At first I couldn't format it FAT32, Windows only offered exFAT (and NTFS), but the solution for this was to partition it (in half) and try again. Success! This allowed me to format each partition FAT32 and the MPC4000 recognised it. By the way, I couldn't format the drive on the MPC.

It takes up no space whatsoever, and 64GB is plenty of room for samples - these also come in 128GB versions and they are the same tiny size!

I'm guessing that the transfer speed might be slower than an internal drive, but I'm not experiencing what I'd consider slow load speeds so I'm not bothered by this.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/ultra-fit-usb

It might be partly to do with the class of the memory stick. MPC4K was maybe designed around the time of class 4. it possibly is making assumptions about maximum capacity assumed around those times. so it could be the 32GIG which was the factor for unsuccessful formatting routines.

Class 4 is something like a 4 Mega Bit per second read write maximum. so to get a Byte rate, you divide the Bit rate by about 8 times. Bytes are 8 times larger than Bits. so, you could maybe try getting one or two older class 4 sticks of a smaller size.

the reason is that you want to try to avoid failures for any reasons unknown. a Class 10 (might) present problems if the stick is designed to not perform (below) the transfer rate. an older Class might be more reliable for older technology. it's hard to say for sure.

I found very little analysis done on any of these potential issues and there are lots of different memory sticks floating around. including ones which have been hacked to look like they are much larger than they are. so you have to be very careful about where you source your memory.
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Addict

Does anyone have the sysex commands sent by the mpc4000 to start / stop external machines, sync'ed via midi clock

Have an external sequencer hooked up to mpc

Want to send start and stop messages to external sequencer from mpc4000 during song mode - so that i can control when the sequencer plays and stops

I guess this can be done sending sysex messages
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Guru

I don't use an MPC 4K but often MMC is a good one to use for start stops.
though sometimes the Midi clock might have a start stop embedded and assuming it is embedded, a device may or may not respond to it when it is. or a device might have to be properly set up to. and so on.

for MTC Midi Time Code, which is a Midi version of SMPTE, some devices like a Yamaha RM1X can only respond to MTC in song mode and only at 30 frames per second. so these are other device specific properties you can encounter.

Renoise can be a handy clock or MMC source as the Midi messages can be viewed on the Midi scope in Renoise. you don't have to have anything in Renoise or use it in any way in order for this facility to work. but it's tempo probably will determine the frequency of the clock ticks. in any case, it's a good base station for sending out information from a source, where the source info can also be visually scoped as you are doing it. weather you finally dispense with it afterwards or not.

so I just ran a start stop function to visualize what the MMC and Midi Clock Start Stops look like.
then I ran a small section of Midi Clock on it's own.
take into account that, when you load Renoise, it begins generating midi clock and does not stop generating that same clock. even when the Midi clock start / stop is generated. in Renoise preferences you can independently enable both the midi clock, or the Midi start / stops. that's basically how I produced the following image in order to intelligibly display the information.
Attached Thumbnails
AKAI Z8 or MPC4000 Tricks & Tips ?-renoise-mmc-clock.png  
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Question for Z4/Z8/mpc4000 owners:

I just bought a Z8 and plan to connect it digitally with my Metric Halo LIO8 audio interface. The LIO8 has AES i/o. On the Z8, I can choose between consumer and pro digital output "type". Does this mean I can go spdif to aes without conversion? But what about from the LIO8 back into the sampler? I can get an spdif i/o for the LIO8 for really cheap and just stay with "consumer" on the Z8. Alternatively could also get some spdif to AES converter.

Anyway this has me really confused. Anybody running their sampler through the digital i/o and care to share their experience?

Thanks.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Yes. Set it to pro and and get a spdif to aes adapter. Set one to be master wordclock and the other to slave.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsly View Post
Yes. Set it to pro and and get a spdif to aes adapter. Set one to be master wordclock and the other to slave.
Cool thanks, but what's the advantage there? I mean, why go through the impedance conversion step if I can just go straight spdif to spdif? My plan was to go with spdif for both in and out and use a wordclock cable between units, clocking from the Metric Halo.

Cheers
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by flextone View Post
Cool thanks, but what's the advantage there? I mean, why go through the impedance conversion step if I can just go straight spdif to spdif? My plan was to go with spdif for both in and out and use a wordclock cable between units, clocking from the Metric Halo.

Cheers
If you want to go spdif to spdif that's fine. The only advantage for aes is longer cable runs. That's it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search