The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Giorgio Moroder - The chase. Which synths?
Old 4th July 2010
Lives for gear

Giorgio Moroder - The chase. Which synths?

Does anybody know which synths and equipment (arpeggiator, harware sequencer?) Moroder used for "The Chase"?

In this TV interview they've got him set up playing what looks like a Minimoog, not sure what the other devices in the shot were. (See 2:32 for a brief shot)

Old 4th July 2010
Lives for gear

this song allways gives me goosebumps for some reason.
Old 4th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Talk View Post
this song allways gives me goosebumps for some reason.
Because it's ****ing awesome?

I've remixed this for use in live sets because I love it so much.
Old 5th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak View Post
In this TV interview they've got him set up playing what looks like a Minimoog, not sure what the other devices in the shot were.
I think the Minimoog was just a stage prop for an audience that didn't know better. He could have been playing a DX-7 and they wouldn't have known the difference. heh

He actually used his Moog modular system in his studio:
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed A. View Post
I think the Minimoog was just a stage prop for an audience that didn't know better. He could have been playing a DX-7 and they wouldn't have known the difference. heh

hah i think i still see a minimoog in the back left there!!!! lol but you're probably right.
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

He's the third member of Justice!
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Not really on point, but there's a wonderful video on the making of E=MC2 with his Roland Microcomposer, his vocoder, and his modular.

The announcer has some great lines, including;

"The sound is stricly moogs, memory banks, and moroder."

"If there's a limit to computerized electronic music, he hasn't found it yet. But he's looking!"

Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

He used the Moog Modular for everything but the snare drum. It's run through an analogue delay for the main sequence. It's actually only an 8th note sequence. Great song! But the original in the movie isn't really like the discofied version. It's also only played for about 5-10 seconds.
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Cheers to everybody for the replies

Quote:
lol heh

Yeah I suspected as much but wasn't sure whether the MM could have made it into the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard
He used the Moog Modular for everything but the snare drum. It's run through an analogue delay for the main sequence. It's actually only an 8th note sequence. Great song! But the original in the movie isn't really like the discofied version. It's also only played for about 5-10 seconds.
Thanks!

And as far as remixes go (which sometimes turn out awful), Jam & Spoon's kinky tribute video / rmx to Moroder is fairly entertaining and contains a few jokes. Of course the original is still the best by far.

Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

As far as the album version of the soundtrack is concerned: Greg Mathieson recorded every synth and keyboard part in one day!

Says Greg: "The bass parts were done with my Mini Moog. Anything that sounds sequenced wasn't. For the bass parts I would play 8th notes and an AMS digital delay would play the 16th notes. I remember that Giorgio had some small cheep, preset synth that we used for a lot of the melody sounds. I don't remember what it was, I'm sorry. All the other keys were real."

I believe the cheap preset-keyboard that Greg's referring to was a Roland SH-2000, because that's one of the synths used by Giorgio and Faltermeyer for the actual movie score (Faltermeyer told me that a while ago). Some of the melody sounds in the movie sounds pretty much identical to those heard on the album and that's the reason I think it's the same synth.

The other keyboards used on the album (including "Chase") include an
ARP/Solina string ensemble, Fender Rhodes ep, Hohner Clavinet and piano.

They used a lot of Phase and Flange boxes on these instruments.

"The drums were a tape loop. They had a piece of 2 track tape stretched between a mike stand and a 2 track machine and they would VSO it for different tempos."

All the synth & keyboard parts were recorded at Larabee studios in Hollywood.

The synth parts for the movie version was recorded by Giorgio and Harold Faltermeyer at Dan Wyman's Sound Arts studio in LA. Moog modular programming by Dan Wyman.
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

That's Dan Wyman's Sound Arts studio in LA (John Carpenter's early scores were recorded in this studio too). All the instruments you see
were owned by the studio. This photo was taken around the spring/summer of 1978, about the same time the soundtracks to
Midnight express and Halloween were recorded there.
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

wow this is real history, thanks so much Mikael
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

You're welcome, asbak
Old 5th July 2010
Gear Nut

I LOVE COAST TO COAST!!!!!
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Nice thread! Thanks for the info and the video! I always loved his work.

Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Here's another studio shot from Sound Arts, taken during the recording of Sparks' "No. 1 Song In Heaven" album in late '78.
This photo appears to have been taken from about the same angle as the other shot posted above with Moroder.
Note the expanded Moog modular system 55 on the left (out of frame in the other shot).

Old 5th July 2010
Gear Maniac

This
Thread
Is
Great!
thumbsup
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

This song for me sums up so many of the things which I love about electronic and synth driven music when it's done properly.

- The hypnotic repetitive arpeggiated figures.
- The evolving character of the sound, always keeping things interesting.
- The rhythmic aspect of it, it grooves!
- Nice chord sequences, cool melody.
- The way the song starts slowly and builds up to a climax before energy levels are taken down a notch again.
- The gorgeous patches

Thanks again to all for the information, we should really collect what is known about all these iconic tunes and compile it into a knowledgebase. thumbsup
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-feld View Post
Not really on point, but there's a wonderful video on the making of E=MC2 with his Roland Microcomposer, his vocoder, and his modular.

The announcer has some great lines, including;

"The sound is stricly moogs, memory banks, and moroder."

"If there's a limit to computerized electronic music, he hasn't found it yet. But he's looking!"

That's Harold Faltermeyer operating the two Roland system 700 modulars.
This promo was afaik filmed during the E=MC2 recording sessions in the summer of 1979.
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Another classic by Giorgio Moroder:

Music recorded in the spring of 1977 at Musicland studio, Munich.
Moog modular programming by Robert "Robbie" Wedel (this was before Moroder connected with Dan Wyman/Sound Arts).

And here's an interesting article on the making of this classic track:
Classic Tracks: Donna Summer ‘I Feel Love’

Don't forget to check out the excellent photo of Moroder standing in front
of the two Roland System 700's, MC-8, Minimoog's and ARP 2600. I think
this photo dates from the E=MC2 sessions back in 1979.
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael488 View Post

They used a lot of Phase and Flange boxes on these instruments.
Hey mikael, any idea what flangers and phasers were used on The Chase. I've tried to find some info before but without success. Such a lovely tonal effect on this record.

Thx,

K
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Nut

One of the best threads I've ever read here.
Thanks a lot.
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikumotoallstars View Post
Hey mikael, any idea what flangers and phasers were used on The Chase. I've tried to find some info before but without success. Such a lovely tonal effect on this record.

Thx,

K

I don't know but will ask Greg if he remembers...
I'll keep you posted.
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Most of the synth parts for the Moroder produced Japan single "Life In Tokyo" (1979) were also recorded at Sound Arts studio in LA. Giorgio's programmer (either Faltermeyer or Greg Mathieson) played the main sequence manually on a Moog modular using delay repeats to get the 16th note effects just like they did on "The Chase" (although that bassline was played on a minimoog as I mentioned earlier). Richard Barbieri did the solina string parts (with MXR Flanger*) and the synthy effects (Roland 'Lab series' 700).

* sounds like it could be the same flanger as used on "The Chase".

Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael488 View Post
"The drums were a tape loop. They had a piece of 2 track tape stretched between a mike stand and a 2 track machine and they would VSO it for different tempos."
Thank you so much for this! I've been wondering how Giorgio did his drums for a long time!

I wonder if he was still using this method in the early 80s...
Old 24th August 2010
Gear Head

And the drums in "I Feel Love"? Is it a tape loop too?
Old 25th August 2010
Lives for gear

No, most of the drum sounds on "I Feel Love" (1977) were done on a Moog modular.
Old 25th August 2010
Lives for gear

Giorgio My Musical Hero!
Old 26th August 2010
Gear Maniac

i finally sat down and learned the B section on this tune. i'm probably going to cover it this weekend at a psytrance party and i wanted to make sure i didn't half-ass it like i used to.

i never get tired of this stuff. these tracks are pure genius.

also, curiously, i find myself really unconcerned with what gear was being used. i'm also not sure i believe any story anyone tells about production on this stuff, no matter how credible the source. for example, there's very clearly a Clavinet playing "ding-ding" every 2 bars on "I feel love" but apparently the whole thing was Moog modular. everything else on the track sounds like Moog though.

and even though i say that, i'd like to thank Mikael for his extensive and informed posting on matters such as this.

am i the only person here who listened to this song for years without noticing there's a backwards triangle part?
Old 26th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitandtieguy View Post
.... for example, there's very clearly a Clavinet playing "ding-ding" every 2 bars on "I feel love" but apparently the whole thing was Moog modular. everything else on the track sounds like Moog though.

and even though i say that, i'd like to thank Mikael for his extensive and informed posting on matters such as this.
Thank you for the kind words

Re "I feel love": from what I understand they also used a minimoog and Polymoog (chord swells). And I'm sure
you're right about a clavinet being used in the song.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search