The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Duran's Nick Rhodes is recording new album with all analogue synthesizers
Old 18th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
BTW, Nick still uses his trusty Jupiter 8 for live shows.

And for Save A Prayer...

The arp sound on "Save A Prayer" was actually the Roland SH-2

And many people think the "Hungry Like a Wolf" arp sound was the Jupiter 8, but it was actually the Jupiter 4 (I believe "Rio" was indeed the Jupiter 8... talking arps for all this)

If you had to choose three synths that truly hit that classic Duran sound...

1. Crumar Performer
2. Jupiter 4
3. Jupiter 8

-Andrews
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
DD are a huge influence on me as well, and I don't even write pop music!

Anywho, I don't doubt Nick wants to and would use analog synths on the new album - I wished he had gone analog during the 90s - but let's not forget DD actually used two Korg Radias's during their "electro" set on their last tour... to great effect I may add, and I've seen studio photos with the Radias being used as well as a Fantom (probably just during rehearsals). Point being Nick does seem to like the Radias and M3 and I can't help but think they recorded some bits of the new album with these and other digital synhs... but perhaps he's now re-recording all the digital synths with analog?

Regardless, this album HAS to be better than Red Carpet Massacre.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
a lot of times in the live env there isn't the fidelity to notice

esp with women in the 40's & 50s throwing their bloomers on stage

I kid i kid.

in the studio env using a real jp8 makes complete sense. why not?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post

And for Save A Prayer...

And many people think the "Hungry Like a Wolf" arp sound was the Jupiter 8, but it was actually the Jupiter 4 (I believe "Rio" was indeed the Jupiter 8... talking arps for all this)

If you had to choose three synths that truly hit that classic Duran sound...

1. Crumar Performer
2. Jupiter 4
3. Jupiter 8

-Andrews
Actually, you got it backward. Rio is the JP-4 arpeggiator. Hungry is the JP-8. Watch the Classic Albums video if you don't believe me.

I would say the synths you mention are the quintessential Duran sound of the early 80s, but you should also add the SH-2 as it was the sequence for Save a Prayer, Hold Back the Rain, and Chauffeur.

And so say it again, yes Nick does use the Radias but only live. In the studio it's all vintage gear. And yes, even if you got lots of money you're still gonna take free gear from a manufacturer if all you gotta do is a 15-min. phone interview. And isn't it funny KORG interviewed John... that should tell you how much Nick really uses his new KORG stuff.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
Actually, you got it backward. Rio is the JP-4 arpeggiator. Hungry is the JP-8. Watch the Classic Albums video if you don't believe me.

I would say the synths you mention are the quintessential Duran sound of the early 80s, but you should also add the SH-2 as it was the sequence for Save a Prayer, Hold Back the Rain, and Chauffeur.

And so say it again, yes Nick does use the Radias but only live. In the studio it's all vintage gear. And yes, even if you got lots of money you're still gonna take free gear from a manufacturer if all you gotta do is a 15-min. phone interview. And isn't it funny KORG interviewed John... that should tell you how much Nick really uses his new KORG stuff.
do you mean this video? YouTube - Duran Duran (From "Rio - Classic Album")

I'm sorry, I can't really detect any JP-4. In fact, I can't really detect any classic analog. Mostly digital, and an Andromeda.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteblues View Post
do you mean this video? YouTube - Duran Duran (From "Rio - Classic Album")

I'm sorry, I can't really detect any JP-4. In fact, I can't really detect any classic analog. Mostly digital, and an Andromeda.
that's a new live performance, the documentary part of the show is more like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI***...eature=related
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Yes, the other way around and in the same post of mine you quoted, I also had the Roland SH-2 as the arp for Save a Prayer... a great secret weapon.

It's sort of funny to note that Marc Ronson (who is producing the new duran album and is also a huge fan) went out and bought one of every synth Nick has so he could work with him! heh

I believe he bought a Jupiter 8, Jupiter 4, Wasp, Crumar, and a few others.

I'll also add that Nick did start using some chords around the Seven & the Ragged Tiger and Arcadia (one of THE best) album eras, he used the Korg Poly 800 and the Korg Poly 61

-Andrews
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
that's a new live performance, the documentary part of the show is more like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI***...eature=related
that url is malformed
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteblues View Post
that url is malformed

can't get link to copy.
search You Tube.. Duran making of Hungry Like The Wolf
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
can't get link to copy.
search You Tube.. Duran making of Hungry Like The Wolf
found the video, still no JP-4 though
Old 20th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi, if you check on the ask katy section of the duran duran website and search jupiter 4 there is a question and answer about rio and nick does confirm its the jupiter 4 arrpeg on rio. What do you guys think of the sh2? i would be intersted in it to recreate the sequences mentioned above
Old 21st June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

And for Save A Prayer...

Actually, the "Hungry Like the Wolf" arp was the Jupiter-8. This has been confirmed by Nick Rhodes. "Rio" on the other hand was the Jup-4.
Old 21st June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

And don't forget the Prophet 5. Nick used it on quite a few DD songs.
Old 22nd June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael488 View Post
And don't forget the Prophet 5. Nick used it on quite a few DD songs.
I don't doubt it, but do you know of specific songs and sounds with the Prophet 5?

Anyone know what the pulsing and arp from songs like "Sound of Thunder" and "Planet Earth" were?

Love to know! LOVE THOSE SOUNDS!!!

-Andrews
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't doubt it, but do you know of specific songs and sounds with the Prophet 5?

Anyone know what the pulsing and arp from songs like "Sound of Thunder" and "Planet Earth" were?

Love to know! LOVE THOSE SOUNDS!!!

-Andrews
The "pulsing" in Planet Earth and Friends of Mine I am not sure about, it's obviously just a heavily flanged (probably MXR 117) sound and to me seems to come more from a guitar pick than a synth. The rest of the sounds on PE are the Crumar for strings and the P5 for the bells. Sound of Thunder is Performer strings.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hello, the sequencer on planer earth, careless memories and sound of thunder are from a prophet 5, this has been confirmed by Nick, if you serach the ask katy funtion on the duran duran website you will find the info. Does anyone know for the arrpegiator on hungry like the wolf, is it 2 octive on a random pattern
Old 19th July 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
and as an addition, while not exactly their 'classic' period - the agressive sounding octave leaping main synth on 'All She Wants Is' (1988) is JX10 through a distortion pedal. That info is from NR himself, related to me via a very kind person who is in personal contact with him.

It's not as suprising or interesting as the early stuff of course as we all know he had a jx10 from Notorious era onwards, but good to confirm where we can.

NR's synths are always a hot topic - cos they created such great songs with them.

And I'd say SH2 and Pro5 are important to the classic sound as others have stated. Their place in DD sound history are undisputed (actually my all time favourite dd riff is the SH2 through roland space echo sequence on Save a prayer - the song that first got me into them as a very young kid).
Old 4th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I saw this thread and listened to this hyped "all analog" album just now online. I don't get it. The synths sound buried in the mix. It might as well be a Nord Lead doing all the parts. It sounds very modern to me, sort of distorted rhythm section and guitars with little bits of keyboard. I'm not a mastering expert but it sounds like everything is pushed up. Anyone have thoughts to share?
Old 5th July 2017
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
I saw this thread and listened to this hyped "all analog" album just now online. I don't get it. The synths sound buried in the mix. It might as well be a doing all the parts. It sounds very modern to me, sort of distorted rhythm section and guitars with little bits of keyboard. I'm not a mastering expert but it sounds like everything is pushed up. Anyone have thoughts to share?
The analog gear does it for Nick and inspired him to create some music?
Old 5th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 46dc28f View Post
Yes, he doesn't touch softsynths (though his producers might) and prefers the immediacy and experimentation possible with knobby, analog synths. On top, Nick has acquired quite a lot of other analog synths that weren't part of the original DD sound such as Elka Synthex, Arp Quadra, Moog Voyager, Roland Juno-6 and even a Teenage Engineering OP-1. These all create a different sound than the classic DD stuff which as already noted here was more about Jupiter-4/8, Performer, SH-2 and P5.
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Yes, he doesn't touch softsynths (though his producers might) and prefers the immediacy and experimentation possible with knobby, analog synths. On top, Nick has acquired quite a lot of other analog synths that weren't part of the original DD sound such as Elka Synthex, Arp Quadra, Moog Voyager, Roland Juno-6 and even a Teenage Engineering OP-1. These all create a different sound than the classic DD stuff which as already noted here was more about Jupiter-4/8, Performer, SH-2 and P5.
Sounds like a kindred spirit of many a slut, like myself.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 46dc28f View Post
I suppose that is the best explanation. I wasn't aware of this album (and was never a big fan back in the day, although I've always love their synth sounds). So when I read over this resurrected thread, I then got excited to hear that old synth style brought back. Especially if the producer also bought all those classic synths to bulk up on them? I think they are going to waste sonically. I really don't hear it in the music, it's as if the synths were less important than ever.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra View Post
I suppose that is the best explanation. I wasn't aware of this album (and was never a big fan back in the day, although I've always love their synth sounds). So when I read over this resurrected thread, I then got excited to hear that old synth style brought back. Especially if the producer also bought all those classic synths to bulk up on them? I think they are going to waste sonically. I really don't hear it in the music, it's as if the synths were less important than ever.
Are you talking about 2010 "All You Need Is Now"? Because that album is synthalicious. Amazing album and just as good as the first three as far as I'm concerned.

I imagine you're talking about the more recent Paper Gods which has a more modern sound... and not nearly as good.
Closed