The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions on Arrangement
Old 11th June 2010
Gear Addict
Opinions on Arrangement

Hi!

I was wondering if I could get my fellow slutz' opinion on this track of mine. Not so much concerning the production quality or sound design, but purely composition and arrangement.

I was also curious where you think this fits in the current EM genre-landscape.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread.

kailaigo - Saba saba 1MP3 - SoundCloud
Old 15th June 2010
Gear Addict
bump!
Old 1st July 2010
Here for the gear

contrasts

I'm thinking a lot about arrangement these days myself, hence I felt I might chip in... Funny thing: I was listening to Black Sabbath when I stumbled upon your thread. after listening to you song I returned to BS... let me tell you it felt weird. I believe it's called contrasts...

About your song: I would try to find a more solid bass-sound, something a little more analogue sounding (or might I say Moog-ish), to get a steady foundation for the more digital sounds to rest upon. Through the whole song I felt that the bass played the leading role, and all the other sound were just there as decoration. You could try to introduce some sort of theme. I felt the the bass was the theme, and maybe it was, but then you need to diversify, maybe also find a countermelody in the lead register. The challenge is to catch the listeners attention and draw them through the whole song. It's easy to believe this is best done by adding more and more sounds. But having an early Black Sabbath recording in my headphones, history tells me simplicity often goes the longest way!
you could also try breaking it up a bit, creating a few different compartments with variations on the theme. listen to it and try to find the source, or the core of the song. Find the core, and decide upon a direction. Not a very hands on advice, I know, But for me this is what it's all about; it's as much a mind game as a gear game. Even more so, actually.
Hope there was something in here you could use.

good luck!

ps. one more tip on the art of arranging... see the headline!
Old 1st July 2010
Lives for gear

it feels like im playing a video game. not a bad thing!

sounds very romplish, heard some seinfeld bass in there hehe.

keep at it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search