The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Empty Space, Empty Heart - looking for feedback Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Empty Space, Empty Heart - looking for feedback

Hi all,

This piece has been playing in my head for about the last six months. I was a bit fed up and frustrated with my usual synthpop stuff, so it was a chance to do is something completely different.

Just don't let anyone tell you you can't do emotions with synthesizers.

I'd be very interested to hear what you think:

Empty Space, Empty Heart by DanielB
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

You might want some help with the drums, I don't think they've been done right at all, even for 80s standards...
The break in the middle is also sounding empty... it needs a little something that a top producer would know to put there. At least that's what I hear. If it was a vocal piece the vocals would fill that void.

Having said that, it's a beautiful melody and the synth sounds are great. I really enjoyed listening to your song, especially when it builds up.
Old 9th June 2010
Oli
Lives for gear

I agree that the drums could use some work.

As for something missing, I think an extra pad in the less busy parts may work, and possibly some more verb send, or a thicker verb.

Melody works. Nice job.
Old 9th June 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone . . .

I admit that I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to drums. It's an occupational hazard of doing everything on your own, composing, keyboard playing, recording; you can't can't be equally expert at every aspect of production.

In tracks like this I leave the drumming to Jamstix. If someone could give me some idea of what needs fixing with the drums I'd really appreciate it.

BTW, for the curious - in this piece there are two JX-8P parts (piano and pad), the bass is played on a Yamaha TX802, and the solo lead is a DSI Mopho.

No VAs were harmed in the production of this track.
Old 9th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hi all,

New version uploaded with somewhat different drums.

The link is the same.
Old 9th June 2010
Lives for gear

i knew that was the jx-8p in there.

if you want to colab and have me do drums i'm all for it...PM me if interested. i could also do a slightly more modern mix to have it live up to todays retro sound.
Old 11th June 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

The synths are nicely recorded very pleasant an smooth. But as it has been said some reverb from here and there and punchier (not heavy hitting but more present like) drums... and that Yamaha bass is just juicy.. mmm

Cheers
DSK
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
The synths are nicely recorded very pleasant an smooth. But as it has been said some reverb from here and there and punchier (not heavy hitting but more present like) drums... and that Yamaha bass is just juicy.. mmm

Cheers
DSK

Thanks thumbsup

The smoothness is a result of using analogue synths, I think. You don't always want it of course, but if you do then with analogue synths (or at least, with the two analogue synths that I used) it's just part of the package.

I think the DX7 bass sound is one of the greatest, most iconic sounds in synth history. It's become a bit of a cliche now, unfortunately, but it's up there with the true greats, IMHO.
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

The drums sound weak in comparison to the great song....

Maybe keep the drums the same but change the VST to drumkit from hell or something...try out alot of kits and see what works.

Drums can be a big pain in the ass with lots of programming to get things just right.... I know all about it. This is very 80's...but in a good way....

Love the retro sounds, they sound very fat and analog....way to go brotha.
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

80's synth pop needs 80's drums. That sounded like a preset pattern from a Casio. Get some Linn Drum samples, try to make the drum arrangement really simple and the drums really powerful. Use gated reverb on the snare.

The song is very Miami Vice, which is a great thing in my books.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search