The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Tetra programming!
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DSI Tetra programming!

Following my recent "Guess the Synth" game, here is an example of synth string programming on the Tetra. In the audio example, you can hear 3 little chord sequences, each made with a different synth string sound...

The first is the famous T8 Strings preset, the second has multiple pitch modulations from the LFO in order to simulate unstable oscs plus feedback and subosc (4-pole filter without resonance), and the third has noise as source to modulate pitch osc plus resonance from the 2-pole filter...the latter sounds more "vintage" to my ears...
Attached Files

Strings.mp3 (1.30 MB, 8077 views)

Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really like it, makes me want a tetra. I can hardly afford a mofo though!
Old 6th June 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
very nice! can you send the patches?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I could never get good strings out of the Prophet. These ones sound OK, thoguh. Kind of vintage but kind of not. I've heard way better ones from the original Prophet and other (real) vintage synths.

I'd still rather have the strings from my Andromeda than the ones you've posted but I am planning on getting a JP6 at some point...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzo ➑️
I could never get good strings out of the Prophet. These ones sound OK, thoguh. Kind of vintage but kind of not. I've heard way better ones from the original Prophet and other (real) vintage synths.

I'd still rather have the strings from my Andromeda than the ones you've posted but I am planning on getting a JP6 at some point...
These are just 2 variations of the original T8 Strings preset...I've programmed a ton of other pad sounds on the Tetra, vintagey or not...
Plus, I've used NO effects whatsoever!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Some more examples of pads on the Tetra...
Attached Files

Strings2.mp3 (1.74 MB, 5034 views)

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I don't think DSI synths excell at strings/pads that I like and the Mopho/Tetr4/P'08 family doesn't excell at any kind of sound in my opinion.

If anything from DSI, I prefer Evolvers for their hybrid electronic sounds that are truly unique and amazing. I'm still holding my breath (and money) for MEK PE.

The Tetr4 patches you've created are nice but, I think, the LFOs are a bit too obvious and don't blend well enough in the sound. A matter of taste, of course. I rate the Roland JX3p strings a bit higher than Tetr4's.

As for electronic strings, I usually don't like the 2-oscillator string patches from analogue poly synths - they are usually too simple for what is expected of a strings/pad patch. The best analogue strings I've heard come from old Korgs and Arps. A bit of chorus/flanger is also necessary for a complete string sound, IMO.

While there are no modern analogue stringers (damn!), IMHO Andromeda is the best modern source of synth string sounds.
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektronik78 ➑️
IMHO Andromeda is the best modern source of synth string sounds.
Take away the onboard effects and Andromeda strings and pads sound like they're being produced by a toy keyboard, IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
the LFOs are a bit too obvious and don't blend well enough in the sound
Have you ever heard a synth string sound without an LFO?
Besides, every sound I 've put here has a completely different amount of LFO modulation...in some of them it's reaaally subtle, no?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I didn't say there shouldn't be an LFO going in the patch. I meant the LFOs should blend in the sound without sticking out. Of course, by no means this is the ultimate formula for a string patch. Make whatever sounds you like.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Take away the onboard effects and Andromeda strings and pads sound like they're being produced by a toy keyboard, IMO.
I disagree. Also why should one take away the onboard effects when they're an integral part of the synth? Korg Lambda, which is my favourite stringer has the chorus effect going all the time even when you position the joystick all the way down and that doesn't discredit the synth in any way for me.

I've heard massive and beautiful strings/pad sounds from the A6.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A6 is capable of great pads, onboard A6 EFX however, sucked big time IMHO. Better off bypassing and using quality outboard gear.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I disagree. Also why should one take away the onboard effects when they're an integral part of the synth? Korg Lambda, which is my favourite stringer has the chorus effect going all the time even when you position the joystick all the way down and that doesn't discredit the synth in any way for me.

I've heard massive and beautiful strings/pad sounds from the A6.
In the same sense one can add any outboard effect he/she wants to a synth that hasn't them and create any sound they want...or I, for example, could add a little plugin with phaser or chorus and then maybe you'd like the pads a bit better......oh! I forgot! Then, people would jump all over me because I've processed the sound...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Those pads sound awesome... I imagine with a bit of subtle noise at certain freqs, tiny bit of distortion, tape sat and chorus they'd really shimmer.

Seeing as most of us go ITB at some point, if it can sound that good before effects thats amazing. In this sense I'd never, ever buy a synth for its effects unless I was building a live setup.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
In the same sense one can add any outboard effect he/she wants to a synth that hasn't them and create any sound they want...or I, for example, could add a little plugin with phaser or chorus and then maybe you'd like the pads a bit better......oh! I forgot! Then, people would jump all over me because I've processed the sound...
I wouldn't jump on you because of processing. The best synth sounds are made this way. I suppose, Tetr4 would greatly benefit from some effects too.

Still, I'm not hurrying to buy a Mopho/Tetr4/P'08 because of their basic sound character, which is lacking something for me. Even the sub oscillator bass that is widely praised over the web, for me just seems to fall apart in the lower registers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I wouldn't jump on you because of processing. The best synth sounds are made this way. I suppose, Tetr4 would greatly benefit from some effects too.

Still, I'm not hurrying to buy a Mopho/Tetr4/P'08 because of their basic sound character, which is lacking something for me. Even the sub oscillator bass that is widely praised over the web, for me just seems to fall apart in the lower registers.
Then you probably have room node issues.
Old 6th June 2010
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Re: DSI Tetra programming!

I had a little bee in my bonnet about getting an analog synth that was great for strings. I think my prophet 08 does a fair job, but never really sounds "vintage.". I almost got a mks or Matrix of some flavor, but in the end I realized that for something that sits fairly far back in the mix, it was a waste of money and space. Dcam's Amber is close enough for me. I also get great stuff from my Roland soniccell.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hmmm... the first examples posted don't sound any better than DCAM's Himalaya patches. I agree the A6 sounds much better for strings.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Then you probably have room node issues.
No, it's entirely a matter of subjective taste, nothing more.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia ➑️
Hmmm... the first examples posted don't sound any better than DCAM's Himalaya patches. I agree the A6 sounds much better for strings.
Then you should make a thread with your A6 strings so the others can listen to something more than just words...

P.S. I never thought Andromeda people would turn this into another "vs" thread... ...as it seems they hate (envy?) DSI stuff sooo much...I have played with A6 for some time and I simply cannot justify its price for the sound...but as someone already said, it's a matter of personal taste...
Old 7th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
why should one take away the onboard effects when they're an integral part of the synth?.
I disagree entirely. I always use very minimal FX and zero reverb/delay on all of my patches. If you load up my Andromeda bank, the only thing I use is the distortion but even that is quite lightly.

Several reasons:

1) When designing patches, it's very easy for two patches that are otherwise identical to sound completely different because of the FX alone.

2) I like to hear the instrument and only the instrument when goign through sounds. It helps to clear things up.

3) Most likely I'm going to customize the FX for every patch in every track, so I'd rather not attempt to keep myself bound to the FX settings on that particular patch.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks for putting together these programming tips, projectwoofer. The examples you posted sound great!

I'm having a hard time understanding why a $3,000 16 voice synth is being compared to a $800 4 voice.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Those examples are awesome man! I have been curious if the tetra could do stuff like this and it is great to hear it. You got me gassin
gdh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well done! one day I will own a Tetra.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck78 ➑️
Thanks for putting together these programming tips, projectwoofer. The examples you posted sound great!

I'm having a hard time understanding why a $3,000 16 voice synth is being compared to a $800 4 voice.
This. A lot. I guess it's because the choices for a new polyanalog are very slim these days. I can't imagine people fairly judging a Juno 60 versus a Jupiter 8 either, but alas, it's the way of the world right now. Give Moog some time though, methinks they'll have something out in the near future to level the poly-playing-field quite a bit.
Old 9th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzo ➑️
I disagree entirely. I always use very minimal FX and zero reverb/delay on all of my patches. If you load up my Andromeda bank, the only thing I use is the distortion but even that is quite lightly.

Several reasons:

1) When designing patches, it's very easy for two patches that are otherwise identical to sound completely different because of the FX alone.

2) I like to hear the instrument and only the instrument when goign through sounds. It helps to clear things up.

3) Most likely I'm going to customize the FX for every patch in every track, so I'd rather not attempt to keep myself bound to the FX settings on that particular patch.
I agree..!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i always see people saying the a6 effects suck but i think theyre not bad

some of the reverbs are just ugly, but the plate is alright, delay is good too

havent used the others though

and also

16 voice 3000 = 187.5$ per voice
4 voice 800 = 200$ per voice
thats why theyre being compared! :D
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here's another one! This one is layered...
Attached Files

Stringslayered.mp3 (445.1 KB, 4056 views)

Old 6th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Don't buy this synth for strings. Its honestly why I just got a mopho, for bass and leads and arps, cause man these oscs are not creamy enough for pads and strings.
Old 6th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer ➑️
Here's another one! This one is layered...
Sounds very nice to me !

Still debating the Tetr4, but sadly almost all the demos on Youtube are beat loops!
It's refreshing to hear it do something else.

Is it layered in the patch itself, or did you record twice?

Peter.
πŸ“ Reply