The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Tetra programming!
Old 6th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory ➑️
Don't buy this synth for strings. Its honestly who I just got a mopho, for bass and leads and arps, cause man these oscs are not creamy enough for pads and strings.
Apart from the thread resurrection thing...as I am the OP I can assure you that I already HAVE this synth and programmed all these pad sounds that you can hear on this thread plus they sound creamy enough to my ears! Thanks for the advice though...
Old 8th November 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It would be rather interesting to hear what Analog synth Disease Factory would recommend for strings though?

Me myself I do not really like to spend my days refreshing the browser at e-bay to see if somebody is selling their Jupiter 8 for a reasonable price.

I do own both the Tetra and the mopho and mainly use them for bass.
Old 8th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
All those pads & strings @ProjectWoofer posted sound good to me... I use my Tetr4 for pads, strings or whatever random noises I can get out of it. Out of the tracks Ive used it on I have yet to have someone come back and say;

"Man I love this track... but its terribly obvious that your using a DSI synth, this is unacceptable. Can you replace that pad/string sound please? Preferabily with something from a A6 or a Jupiter 8...we'll pay you double for it"

Old 8th November 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The strings sound very pleasant indeed I've been wanting to get the tetra or mopho for quite some time now. Its cool that you show a side to the tetra I havn't much heard
Old 9th November 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riecespieces ➑️
"Man I love this track... but its terribly obvious that your using a DSI synth, this is unacceptable. Can you replace that pad/string sound please? Preferabily with something from a A6 or a Jupiter 8...we'll pay you double for it"
Hilarious
Old 9th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I liked that first example of strings you posted. I think in the context of a nice song/progression they might be just what the doctor ordered.
I was in GC yesterday jammin' on a Mopho for the first time and enjoyed it a bunch! Might have to save up my lunch money and grab one.
Old 17th January 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Projectwoofer, how did you learn how to program it so well? I have had it for a while and I am intimidated by the depth of the beast. I (kind of) understand what you did but I wouldn't begin to know how to do it.

The strings are great by the way.
Old 17th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer ➑️
Some more examples of pads on the Tetra...
Awesome! You're inspiring me to tinker with my P08 some more.
Old 18th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeRiverside ➑️
Projectwoofer, how did you learn how to program it so well? I have had it for a while and I am intimidated by the depth of the beast. I (kind of) understand what you did but I wouldn't begin to know how to do it.

The strings are great by the way.
Thanks a lot. I just spent a lot of time with synths since I was at a very young age trying to learn sound synthesis. My studies also helped me to grasp the basic principles. After fiddling with FM and additive these last years, basic subtractive synthesis seems much easier to me...

Actually these sounds are really old now! I made them when I first got my Tetra and have moved on a lot since then...

More recent programming attempts on various synths can be found here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7312165-post1.html
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
cool sounds.
Old 19th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer ➑️
Thanks a lot. I just spent a lot of time with synths since I was at a very young age trying to learn sound synthesis. My studies also helped me to grasp the basic principles. After fiddling with FM and additive these last years, basic subtractive synthesis seems much easier to me...

Actually these sounds are really old now! I made them when I first got my Tetra and have moved on a lot since then...

More recent programming attempts on various synths can be found here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7312165-post1.html
Dude! I absolutely love your Tetra demos! Those have got to be the best I've heard. What are you recording them through?

I sold my Mopho when it stopped playing nice with MIDI; I hadn't really found that it meshed with the stuff I was doing outside basslines anyway. Now I'm thinking I should have gone Tetra all the way, some of those pads are gorgeous, and not having to worry about voice stealing would have changed things, I <3 my long release times.

Plus, lately I've been hearing some things that really use the Curtis sound in cool ways, giving me a new appreciation for it. I think this or a Moog need to be my next purchase.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Tetra is great, all the possibilities! It's different to old stuff, cleaner... but it can do some filthy things with feedback and noise too. I'm happy it sounds different to old (monosynths) I have. Yep some basic things can get a bit boring on tetra there is so much fun in all of these modulations and complexities and nuances. I like the fact it can sound very modern, yet not like VSTi .
Old 20th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto ➑️
Dude! I absolutely love your Tetra demos! Those have got to be the best I've heard. What are you recording them through?

I sold my Mopho when it stopped playing nice with MIDI; I hadn't really found that it meshed with the stuff I was doing outside basslines anyway. Now I'm thinking I should have gone Tetra all the way, some of those pads are gorgeous, and not having to worry about voice stealing would have changed things, I <3 my long release times.

Plus, lately I've been hearing some things that really use the Curtis sound in cool ways, giving me a new appreciation for it. I think this or a Moog need to be my next purchase.
Thanks a lot man! I have used a humble M-Audio FW 410, soon to be replaced probably by a MOTU 828 mkIII...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Interesting thread. I'd never tried noise as a modulation source so I had a mess around on the Prophet'08 last night and it really beefed up an already big sound.

I now have a string patch with:

PWM on both oscillators at different rates.
LFO to frequency of Osc 1
Noise to frequency of both.
A little filter mod by osc

4 pole, low resonance
Slow attack / release

Sounds great, *huge* sound from just 2 oscillators.
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm high right now & that **** sounds great! End of Story!
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
weird thread.. I thought the OP was a great effort. Sounds like a Juno 6/60 strings.

That said I never really preferred the Juno string sound... too brassy.
Also, to say it's not "creamy" enough for strings doesn't make sense.. I find good strings are usually sampled or digital.. lots of hi-end... or old-school paraphonic... but that's a matter of opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice job!
The Tetra is very versatile. It's got lots of sweet spots. After owning a Tetra, I don't use VST synths anymore, except for occasional background layering.

Is there a place or thread with downloadable Tetra patches, especially Combo patches? I couldn't find it here for some reason.

I'm ideally looking for Combos with a bass, lead, string, brass kind of configuration that sound great together so I can make whole synth tracks for live use or not have to record overdubs into the DAW.

Anyway keep it up!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS7 ➑️
Nice job!
The Tetra is very versatile. It's got lots of sweet spots. After owning a Tetra, I don't use VST synths anymore, except for occasional background layering.

Is there a place or thread with downloadable Tetra patches, especially Combo patches? I couldn't find it here for some reason.

I'm ideally looking for Combos with a bass, lead, string, brass kind of configuration that sound great together so I can make whole synth tracks for live use or not have to record overdubs into the DAW.

Anyway keep it up!
Thanks! In that thread you can find some patches:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ry-thread.html

You'll also find patches on the DSI website and on the DSI/Sequential forum here:

DSI / Prophet Forum :: Index
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I didn't listen to the patches yet, but I'm surprised people are complaining about the oscillators here when a classic string machine such as the Solina is well known to be basically useless without the built-in chorus.
Old 21st January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoPilot ➑️
I didn't listen to the patches yet, but I'm surprised people are complaining about the oscillators here when a classic string machine such as the Solina is well known to be basically useless without the built-in chorus.
It's true that the Tetra sounds very nice with a chorus added! I usually use the TAL Chorus 60 or the Kjaerhus Classic Chorus and it's delicious...a phaser is great too!
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey project, do have some bass patches from the Tetra you can show us? I'm wondering how it sounds in the lows!
Old 18th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=e6400ultra;5470168]Take away the onboard effects and Andromeda strings and pads sound like they're being produced by a toy keyboard, IMO.[/QUOTE]

This can be said about many synthesizers. The question I have is what does one consider an "effect". I don't think removing the effects is a very good measure of the quality of sound a synth can make. However my Moog Voyager has no "effects" of the non-synth specific type and its basic sound is great. The bare oscillators have a sound and character that is powerful and so ready to be tweaked and effected.

Yeah, DSI Tetra is not that different in that regard. Its basic sound is good but it most certainly needs effects such as an LFO and so forth, reverb, delay, etc. etc. etc,
πŸ“ Reply