The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone used the NEW Roland GAIA SH-01?
Old 28th May 2010
Anyone used the NEW Roland GAIA SH-01?

Just wondering if anyone has got any experience with this new synth from Roland.

Link :- YouTube - Roland GAIA SH-01 Review Sonic LAB

I know its "analogue modeling", but it does sound really good from the reviews I've seen. It looks very fun to use and it would be much easier & quicker creating new sounds on this compared to ITB.
Old 28th May 2010
can the 3 layers have different midi channels? i didnt see that info covered anywhere
Old 28th May 2010
Gear Guru

Seems like it's a good value for the Trance orientated with all those supersaw oscs. The only VA from Roland that I ever played was an SH-32 and although it was very cheap, (I think I got it new for $250 when Musician's Friend was blowing them out) I liked it a lot.

Then I started using software and I found the VA hardware wasn't giving me any noticeable sound quality. That was 5 years ago or so I guess so maybe their tech has improved... but then again so have VSTs. Of course, a VSTi doesn't have knobs and a dbeam, so there's that. It sure does look cute, I just wish they'd stop pillaging their classic synth names and come up with something new.
Old 28th May 2010
Gear Head

I played with one at Best Buy in Union Square here in NYC. Sounded pretty good, the knobs were quite nice. The effects section left a bit to be desired, but I probably wouldn't ever be using them anyways. I wasn't planning on ever getting one, but would recomend one to a knob-twiddler comtemplating buying a microkorg. Just save a bit longer and get this guy.
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

It looks pretty cool for what it is, but I'm really tired of this VA stuff. The reality is, the best VA's ever made (IMO) are the Nord Lead 2, Access Virus TI, and the Korg MicroKorg/MS2000.

Nothing that has come out besides those really doesn't anything better or different than the other. They're pumping out these VA's like crazy and they really have absolutely no personality.

The only guy who really has the right idea is Dave Smith and I guess Moog (not sure if they're doing anything new or just riding on Voyager , Little Phatty), but Roland created so many of the most classic analogue synths. Juno 6, 60, 106, tr 808, tr 909 (semi anologue), tb 303, sh 101, etc. Why cant they invest in a modern analogue? I guess the market for it just isn't as big as I think.

I mean, can you imagine how much money they'd make with a new Juno???? It cant be THAT expensive, and they are being sold constantly on the used market.
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby33 View Post
Roland created so many of the most classic analogue synths. Juno 6, 60, 106, tr 808, tr 909 (semi anologue), tb 303, sh 101, etc. Why cant they invest in a modern analogue? I guess the market for it just isn't as big as I think.

I mean, can you imagine how much money they'd make with a new Juno???? It cant be THAT expensive, and they are being sold constantly on the used market.
don't forget the jupiter 8 heh i think i have all the stuff you listed too...lol well i only have just the juno 60 tho

it's probably cause they fired all their analog engineers long ago...all the guys who work there are likely people who graduated their electrical engineering college after the days of analog and into the days of all digital surface mount land...things aren't even made the same way, none the less the analog circuitry...

a shame really, i mean i'm sure they could get back into it, but the initial investment would be a lot higher now that they have no infrastructure in place for it any longer...
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear
You mean the "gay-a"? There are threads on this already. I played it at Musik Messe. Cheap feel to the whole thing, basically no different-sounding than any modeling stuff Roland has done since JP-8K. For a beginner synth maybe OK but I would never buy one.
Old 28th May 2010
Quote:
The only guy who really has the right idea is Dave Smith and I guess Moog
Funny you mentioned Dave Smith, the other synth I am looking at is the DSI Tetra. The only thing about the tetra is the editing, but you cant really complain for the price.

I had the Moog Little Phatty and even though it was nice sounding, I never really used/liked it that much. I should of brought a Voyager instead
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ape View Post
can the 3 layers have different midi channels? i didnt see that info covered anywhere
From what I saw / read I don't believe so.

(I'm not 100% certain though)
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taktheride View Post
I played with one at Best Buy in Union Square here in NYC.
Wow,Best Buy from all places??
I'll go and check it this wknd.
I know the one in UES doesn't have one to demo.
Old 28th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauvin View Post
Funny you mentioned Dave Smith, the other synth I am looking at is the DSI Tetra. The only thing about the tetra is the editing, but you cant really complain for the price.

I had the Moog Little Phatty and even though it was nice sounding, I never really used/liked it that much. I should of brought a Voyager instead
I think a good way to look at this is if you're looking for a performance machine, the Gaia is the way to go. Live, people aren't going to quibble about it not being analog or "as good as a virus." and judging by the audio examples I've heard, I'm not sure it's much worse and it sure is a lot cheaper. Also, all the raver girls will think you're the coolest when you wave your arm around the DBEAM. Their pacifiers will pop right out.

If this is going to live in a studio, go with the Tetr4 for sure, unless supersaws are a must. Frankly I can get that trancey sound out of VST VAs if I want it, so I'm not that worried about not having it.
Old 28th May 2010
Deleted b788fee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
You mean the "gay-a"?

Wow, grow up ... Everyone thinks it -- once maybe -- but YOU say it ... CONGRATS !!!

That said, the name IS ridiculous ... But not because of your juvenile association ...

What does a plastic, resource-consuming synth have to do with an environemental personification of the planet ... ??? How does a synth sound "green ... " For beginners ... ???

It just seems like a farcical attempt at somehow making it appeal in name-only to a certain subset of potential synth buyers with nothing to back it up ...
Old 28th May 2010
Quote:
Why cant they invest in a modern analogue? I guess the market for it just isn't as big as I think.

Speaking from my US-based capitalist perspective, if there WAS significant money to be made making/selling modern analogs, they'd be doing it. Walk into a Guitar Center or Sam Ash store in the US and you will mostly find Motifs, Fantoms, M3s, keyboard controllers, and software instruments. Maybe a Little Phatty, or a stray Nord or Virus. Why? Because this is what the vast majority of keyboardists want.

Honestly, I think there are about 1,000 analog synth enthusiasts, and they regularly buy and sell gear to one another on eBay. And probably quite a few of these people are more about collecting than playing/performing/composing/recording. Just my opinion, nothing more.

Looking at the industry, it is readily apparent that the market for analog synths is a niche market for boutique manufacturers.

Last edited by keybdwizrd; 30th May 2010 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 28th May 2010
POST EDITED:
From visualizing videos of this product, I think it looks awesome. Also to add, it is a very handy mini portable K.B to carry around. The only thing about the GAIA build is that it's made out of plastic. I think the GAIA would of looked a whole lot better being made out of metal, which then it would have a real synth feel and look about it. Also I think it would of been ideal for the control panel to have knobs entirely, instead of configuring with 18 sliders. I only suggest this because of the impressive Nordwave - Synth out-look, which IMO looks totally f$$$$$$ unreal.
Btw, I don't own a GAIA and Nordwave. I'm just giving a bit of phrasing to what I think, respectively.

Quote:
by asbak - Yeah but this would make a mega ding in the affordability and with this synth they're clearly aiming for the mass market to make their $$ back with volume sales rather than keeping it expensive and exclusive.
Imo (of course I could be wrong) they can't fail with this product. It's fairly capable as far as VA's go and there's nothing like it in the price range. Schoolkids and "media studies" students (at a location somewhere near us) are going to have a field day with this.
Quote:
by asbak - Imo sliders rock for envelopes. Agree that I wouldn't want them for the filter cutoff, res, osc x-mod, lfo's and so on.
Yeah ! Good points in both rectangles

Last edited by KRE8A; 4th August 2010 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: typing errors
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
What does a plastic, resource-consuming synth have to do with an environemental personification of the planet ... ??? How does a synth sound "green ... " For beginners ... ???
Bekoz on the Gaia dem soundz can be powered by treehugger friendly rechargeable NiMh batteries innit. heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRE8A View Post
It would of been c00L if the whole machine was made out of metal. Then it would have a real synth feel, I reckon.
Yeah but this would make a mega ding in the affordability and with this synth they're clearly aiming for the mass market to make their $$ back with volume sales rather than keeping it expensive and exclusive.

Imo (of course I could be wrong) they can't fail with this product. It's fairly capable as far as VA's go and there's nothing like it in the price range. Schoolkids and "media studies" students (at a location somewhere near us) are going to have a field day with this.

Quote:
Also, I think it would of been much better with the the entire machine being with knobs, instead of configuring with a percentage of sliders.
Imo sliders rock for envelopes. Agree that I wouldn't want them for the filter cutoff, res, osc x-mod, lfo's and so on.
Old 28th May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
Wow,Best Buy from all places??
I'll go and check it this wknd.
I know the one in UES doesn't have one to demo.
that best buy has a whole music dept. it's strange. new, gigantic store.
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Then I started using software and I found the VA hardware wasn't giving me any noticeable sound quality. That was 5 years ago or so I guess so maybe their tech has improved... but then again so have VSTs. Of course, a VSTi doesn't have knobs and a dbeam, so there's that.
Playing live is another factor to consider. A hardware VA synth is much more reliable and robust than a laptop and far less likely to crash or develop a fault at an inopportune (scuse the pun) moment.

A VA, a rompler + maybe a hardware sampler and most of the keyboard / synths / sound effects bases would be covered.

Yes there are things like Muse Receptors which are reportedly quite solid on the OS front but at the prices they charge not to mention the pain and expense to get the harddrive replaced (it has to be shipped to or from California) in case of failure or just to get the OS upgraded.

No thanks to that expensive hassle.
Old 28th May 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Wow, grow up ... Everyone thinks it -- once maybe -- but YOU say it ... CONGRATS !!!

That said, the name IS ridiculous ... But not because of your juvenile association ...
Wow, adultism galore. I'm ashamed to live in a society where behavior like yours, Diametro, is tolerated at large.
Old 28th May 2010
Gear Addict

Yeah, that things sounds like crap to me.

I will say that I had an SH201.... I learned a lot about how to make the subtractive sounds I wanted, then realized it sounded like it was made by fisher price, and sold it for a 106. So, there is a place in the market for these little buggers...
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Speaking from my US-based capitalist perspective, if there WAS significant money to be made making/selling modern analogs, they'd be doing it. Walk into a Guitar Center or Sam Ash store in the US and you will mostly find Motifs, Fantoms, M3s, keyboard controllers, and software instruments. Maybe a Little Phatty, or a stray Nord or Virus. Why? Because this is what the vast majority of keyboardists want.

Honestly, I think there are about 1,000 analog synth enthusiasts, and they regularly buy and sell gear to one another on eBay. And probably quite of these people are more about collecting than playing/performing/composing/recording. Just my opinion, nothing more.

Looking at the industry, it is readily apparent that the market for analog synths is a niche market for boutique manufacturers.
Hey are you the guy who puts up the different vids? If so then thanks, i've watched them many times.

You are totally right, keyboard players now basically just want jack of all trade rompler machines . . . which is sad in so many ways because if you really wanted that, you're better off getting a laptop hooked to a controller keyboard and some high quality samples in your computer. However, I think most of them have no idea what they're doing, dont do any research, and just buy the second rate . . . no third rate machines that sound like casio keyboards. My opinion of course.

I just find it sad that there was a time when synthesizers were an amazing new tool with limitless possibilities (to an extent) and now all most musicians want are software synths and romplers with no life or personality.

And as an FYI, I'm fully preparing to record and write music that includes analogue synthesizers. I'm not just wanting to noodle in a room (which you are right, a lot of analog collectors/lovers do this), but I'm just saying there are at least a few of us out there that really want to make a product with analogue technology.

I'm currently thinking I may get a Mopho/Tetra combo. I still cant decide what I'm going after.
Old 28th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauvin View Post
Just wondering if anyone has got any experience with this new synth from Roland.

Link :- YouTube - Roland GAIA SH-01 Review Sonic LAB

I know its "analogue modeling", but it does sound really good from the reviews I've seen. It looks very fun to use and it would be much easier & quicker creating new sounds on this compared to ITB.

Interesting sounds in this example, I like it:

VR700 haters skip to 6.45

Old 28th May 2010
Deleted b788fee
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak View Post
Bekoz on the Gaia dem soundz can be powered by treehugger friendly rechargeable NiMh batteries innit. heh
I thought of that ... but the power still comes from electricity ... and then you have the added production of the battery itself, which will still need to be disposed of some day ... It's actually ecologically worse ...
Old 28th May 2010
Deleted b788fee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayLay View Post
Wow, adultism galore. I'm ashamed to live in a society where behavior like yours, Diametro, is tolerated at large.
Did you have your thumb in your mouth when you typed that ... ??? Impressive ...

You're not one of those dudes into diapers, are you ... ???
Old 29th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post

Sorry, have to disagree....sounds pretty ****ty and characterless to me, and I'm listening through my interface/monitors....
Old 29th May 2010
Quote:
Hey are you the guy who puts up the different vids? If so then thanks, i've watched them many times.
Yep that's me. Thanks for watching.

Quote:
You are totally right, keyboard players now basically just want jack of all trade rompler machines . . . which is sad in so many ways because if you really wanted that, you're better off getting a laptop hooked to a controller keyboard and some high quality samples in your computer.
I live in the Chicago area, and there are tons of musicians, tons of bands, and tons of bars and places to perform. There are thousands of weddings and corporate events going on, many of them with live music. There are polka bands, Latino groups, funk bands, and more tribute bands than I've ever seen anywhere.

This creates lots of performing opportunities for keyboardists who need to be versatile, and able to cover lots of musical bases without carting a van load of instruments around (not to say there aren't some who do that). Romplers fit the bill for that perfectly.

Until last fall I played in a cover band - we played a huge variety of stuff: The Who, Elton John, Genesis, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Violent Femmes, The Ramones, Allman Bros, Rush, Bon Jovi, Santana, All American Rejects, Green Day, Jethro Tull, The Police, Dire Straits... and that was just the first set.

I easily covered all the keyboard parts with a Yamaha Motif and a Virus TI. If I were to join another similar band, I would cut the weight in half and use a Yamaha MO6 and a Gaia or a Radias. Sure, I could have carted my P08, Moog LP, and other keys to gigs, but why? It's not like more than 1% of the people we ever played for could actually tell the difference between a lead played on a VA and a lead played on an analog. I'd rather keep those synths safe at home - it's not like I'd get paid any more money to haul them around either.

Obviously this is a different world from those who are making electronic synth music in home studios and/or clubs. But around these parts (and probably many other American cities) an overwhelming percentage of gigging/playing opportunities involve playing something other than electronic music. And that's why Guitar Center is full of romplers.
Old 29th May 2010
One final point re: keyboardists and gigging bands -

Being the lazy schmuck that I am, while playing in the aforementioned band for several months, I rehearsed with my Prophet 08 and Moog LP, with both running through a Lexicon effects unit for delay and reverb. I used these for *real* synth sounds in cover tunes. I kept them 24/7 in the basement of our bass player's house where we rehearsed.

When we gigged (4 - 6 times a month) I would simply take my Motif with me and leave the analogs in the rehearsal studio. I'd grab my Virus TI Polar from home and bring those two to the gigs. I created custom patches on the TI to cover the sounds being done at practice with the analogs. With its onboard effects the TI was easier to gig with than two analog synths and an effects rack.

Anyhow, after a few months I made mention of this, and discovered that none of the other guys in the band noticed that I was gigging and rehearsing with different gear! Not only were they oblivious to it musically, but they never even noticed the white Polar showing up at gigs when it never appeared in Bob's basement!
Old 29th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post

Why on earth would anyone want that horrible electric organ thing?
Old 29th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
Why on earth would anyone want that horrible electric organ thing?
I think your talking about the GAIA sound at around 6:30 or so, that was CRAP...i think thats why he said skip to 6:45

Anyway, except for that terrible sound at 6:30, I liked it; I thought it sounded amazing actually. Really fat sound, and the filter is super smoooooth.
Old 29th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by n***N View Post
I think your talking about the GAIA sound at around 6:30 or so, that was CRAP...i think thats why he said skip to 6:45

Anyway, except for that terrible sound at 6:30, I liked it; I thought it sounded amazing actually. Really fat sound, and the filter is super smoooooth.
No, I was talking about the VR-700 - why on earth would anyone want to play such a horrible thing?

As for the Gaia, I wasn't particularly impressed with the actual sounds in the demo, but it seems to be quite a capable synth.
Old 29th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Did you have your thumb in your mouth when you typed that ... ??? Impressive ...

You're not one of those dudes into diapers, are you ... ???
You take yourself a little to seriously huh?heh
YouTube - Biggus Dickus
📝 Reply