The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone used the NEW Roland GAIA SH-01?
Old 31st May 2010
  #61
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
This may be your opinion, but it's also a stereotype, delivered in a more or less condescending way ("they regularly buy and sell gear to one another on eBay"), and is thus no better than the negative stereotype about people who use ROMplers (i.e., to the effect that they only use presets, can't program anything, have no idea what an "LFO" is, and only want a "Jump" patch that they can call up at the press of a button). And the contrast between "collecting," on the one hand, and "playing/performing/composing/recording," on the other, is misleading, since plenty of analog synth enthusiasts are probably doing a lot of parts of the latter, even if they're not doing all of it (so, for example, I play almost every night, compose regularly, and sometimes record what I'm doing, but haven't performed live in ages).

On other hand, I do like your videos!
He has a point though. To be honest, the only thing I've got that I'd gig with is the Taylor, the Takamine and the Virus B. Everything else is too heavy, too fragile, too buggy, too unreliable to haul around in a van and too expensive to fix when some random shirtless guy spills his pint all over it.
Old 31st May 2010
  #62
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak View Post
Generated by our "eco-friendly" solar panels of course. And when it rains, a treadmill. heh

Not sure how the PA rig will be powered though lol heh



Whilst it's true that battery production cannot be 0 environment impact, they can be recycled.

(Not that this necessarily happens in real life but in bunny hugger Utopia this is how it would work).
OT, I just heard a news report a few weeks ago that basically said that although the cost of construction is twice that of a coal power plant, building a geothermal power plant would basically generate power for the cost of maintaining the power plant. No fossil fuels needed and about zero emissions. Now that's something I'd like to power all of my gear with.
Old 1st June 2010
  #63
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
OK, so i spent about an hour with the Gaia today at a surprisingly quiet Best Buy. Overall, i liked it. Especially for the $699 price tag. Pretty decent sound, easy enough interface to get around w/o a manual. All the controls felt nice, even the keys felt pretty decent. What i didn't like is the fact that the Pitch knob for the Osc stepped like a bitch! I also didn't care for the PWM sound. Just wasn't as smooth as it could have been.

I think they'll sell a lot of them at the price they're at. I dig that it'll run on batteries =o] But in the end, i prefer the Mopho! it just has way more balls! Now who wants to buy a Micromoog!
Old 1st June 2010
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
Oh, another thing that Roland dropped the ball on was using Osc Sync bypassed the Filter on Osc One. I mean, come on! WTF!
Old 1st June 2010
  #65
Lives for gear
 

Could anybody confirm what the Gaia doesn't have? For example is it:

- Possible or not possible to send midi control change parameters to the Gaia, example, filter, resonance, envelopes, lfo's etc? It appears like it may not be possible?

- Does it have any Osc X-mod? (I couldn't find it)
Old 1st June 2010
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
No X-Mod. Only Sync and Ring Mod. No idea if any of the parameters send/receive CCs.
Old 1st June 2010
  #67
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
OT, I just heard a news report a few weeks ago that basically said that although the cost of construction is twice that of a coal power plant, building a geothermal power plant would basically generate power for the cost of maintaining the power plant. No fossil fuels needed and about zero emissions. Now that's something I'd like to power all of my gear with.
Could be an option if one lived in Yellowstone or Iceland heh
Old 3rd June 2010
  #68
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
I was surfing around Youtube and I found some video where a Roland rep says, "We've designed this for the education market." So there you have it. This is supposed to sit in classrooms and get sold to people looking for an entry level instrument that's easy to program. It's not for a gearslut that's got an MS-20, minimoog and OBX sitting in their studio.
Old 3rd June 2010
  #69
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I was surfing around Youtube and I found some video where a Roland rep says, "We've designed this for the education market." So there you have it. This is supposed to sit in classrooms and get sold to people looking for an entry level instrument that's easy to program. It's not for a gearslut that's got an MS-20, minimoog and OBX sitting in their studio.
The Yamaha NS-10's were not designed for the studio either
Old 3rd June 2010
  #70
Lives for gear
 
Spectral Climax's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I was surfing around Youtube and I found some video where a Roland rep says, "We've designed this for the education market." So there you have it. This is supposed to sit in classrooms and get sold to people looking for an entry level instrument that's easy to program. It's not for a gearslut that's got an MS-20, minimoog and OBX sitting in their studio.

They don't mention it anywhere else, so, what is this? A secret marketing method?
Old 3rd June 2010
  #71
Lives for gear
 
seen-da-sizer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I was surfing around Youtube and I found some video where a Roland rep says, "We've designed this for the education market." So there you have it. This is supposed to sit in classrooms and get sold to people looking for an entry level instrument that's easy to program. It's not for a gearslut that's got an MS-20, minimoog and OBX sitting in their studio.
LOL, a training device but no "real life" instrument to back it up. heh
Old 7th June 2010
  #72
Lives for gear
 
rolo's Avatar
 

I played one for a couple of hours. here's my take...

Sounds much better than a JP8000/8080 SH201 but is still in that ballpark.

The layout is easy to get into and resembles what Roland Analogs used to be.

I love the fact that each OSC has it's own editable LFO!!!

I love the fact that each OSC has it's own filter!!!!!!!

The presets suck (no surprise) but you can get some good sounds out of it.

I like the price!

It's not going in my studio as I have a crap load of vintage analog, but it's perfect for the electronic musician on a budget.

I spoke to a Roland Rep about the Gaia and I asked him why Roland is not following DSI, MOOG, Tom OB, and Korg's lead by coming out with a true analog synth. He said...

"Yeah I know... I keep telling the higher ups at Roland to come out with Analog Software" !?!?!? WTF?

I said "No, I mean real analog filters on a HARDWARE board"

He Said. " No, that would never sell! Too limited! Who would want that?"

He obviously does not have a clue.

He also left me with this remark...

"Rolands thing is never looking backwards... we move forward."

Uh.... yeah.... right.
Old 7th June 2010
  #73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post

I spoke to a Roland Rep about the Gaia and I asked him why Roland is not following DSI, MOOG, Tom OB, and Korg's lead by coming out with a true analog synth. He said...

"Yeah I know... I keep telling the higher ups at Roland to come out with Analog Software" !?!?!? WTF?

I said "No, I mean real analog filters on a HARDWARE board"

He Said. " No, that would never sell! Too limited! Who would want that?"

He obviously does not have a clue.

He also left me with this remark...

"Rolands thing is never looking backwards... we move forward."

Uh.... yeah.... right.

lmao wtf?!?
Old 7th June 2010
  #74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post

I spoke to a Roland Rep about the Gaia and I asked him why Roland is not following DSI, MOOG, Tom OB, and Korg's lead by coming out with a true analog synth.."

Uh.... yeah.... right.

I asked a Roland Rep why don't they bring back out analog synths and he said that they cannot find the equipment to reproduce analog synths and the factory's have closed down where they use to make them

I said "How come Moog, DSI and Oberheim can manage to do it then?"...............(long pause)..................He said "I dont know!"

WTF is , "I dont know". These reps dont have a clue
Old 7th June 2010
  #75
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
He obviously does not have a clue.
No, he does. 7 billion people on the planet. 10% of 'm have the disposable cash. Only a small percentage of those plays a musical instrument. Yet another part plays keyboard instruments, and a part of that again is actually interested in something beyond ROMplers. Economy's in the ****ter, and you're trying to convince them that they should re-assemble a team, do R&D for 4-5 years to pick up all the skills again, only to find out that people are still going to pay $10K for a Jupiter 8 because - unlike the new thing - it's actually 3 decades old, with a proven track record and lots of mojo.

Even the DX7 sold "only" 100,000 units, and that was by far one of the most popular synths.

Internet forums are a drop in the bucket, populated by mostly the same people.

Quote:
"Rolands thing is never looking backwards... we move forward."
If you like synthesizers because of their futuristic sounds, it's deeply ironic that you insist on using a 40 year old machine - or at least 40 year old technology to make these sounds with.

Kraftwerk got over it. Why can't you? heh
Old 8th June 2010
  #76
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
They don't mention it anywhere else, so, what is this? A secret marketing method?
Roland U.S. - Insider - Keyz

They probably retail directly to schools too. Makes sense. Apple gained a lot of ground early by doing this and later lost it when they fumbled that ball. Obviously Roland's not making the current SHes to sell to the guy who's got an SH-03 and a Jupiter 8. It wouldn't surprise me if these showed up in college media labs. If I were a gigging musician and needed a board, I'd pick one up for sure over a more delicate and less versatile true analog. Trust me, the raver kids won't notice, and could possibly even like the Gaia more.

I'd love it if if they did a Jupiter 08 or SH-2v2... if they did it right for a reasonable price... but then again, they're mothballing the Andromeda, so that doesn't bode well for people waiting for Roland to do a true analog. Not like there aren't a fair amount of people making them anyway. If you can't find one you like from Studio Electronics, Metasonix Moog, DSI, Doepfer or one of the many tiny boutique synth devs, then I guess you're SOOL.
Old 8th June 2010
  #77
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
He also left me with this remark...

"Rolands thing is never looking backwards... we move forward."

Uh.... yeah.... right.
Or make daft imitations of their original 80s technology, hoping it will sell based on the historic Roland name. Not exactly moving forward.
Old 8th June 2010
  #78
Gear Nut
 

Hi guys, long time reading but first post here...

Does anybody knows if it has detuning option on the supersaw osc?
On the demos I see the man stacking supersaws oscs but I don't know if you can detune them.

It's not a case of RTFM, it doesn't tell it heh

I'm not really after this synth but maybe it's a good option when I don't want to bring the polar out...

cheers!!!
Old 8th June 2010
  #79
Lives for gear
 
rolo's Avatar
 

You are forgetting that most of the census that relates to synthesizers or keyboards are migrating more and more to software for sounds.

I have spoken to several buyers for Music Instrument Resellers. All seem to have the same thing to say... Synth Workstation sales have severely decreased in the past 4-6 years. I've been told by these buyers that the main client for Motif's, M3's, Fantoms are Church players as well as Live players.

One retailer told me that their sales on brands like DSI, MOOG and Access grow stronger by the year. There is indeed a viable market for Modern Vintage SYNTHS.

Also, yes the DX7 was indeed ground breaking and it did sell over 100,000. But by todays standards, I'd still prefer a DX7 against a Motif. That's my opinion, but I feel that there is a significant amount of others that would feel the same way. Brian Eno is one. Even today the DX7 is still used and ought after. I hardly picture a Motif being of essential use in 20 years.

I don't think an new analog synth from roland would be a disaster as far as sales are concerned. It can't be anymore of a lemon as the V-Synth GT was for them. They spend an Extreme amount of money in R&D and production. They lost their ass on it.

I think they are putting their creative energy in the wrong areas.

Anyone else agree?

Finally, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream and others may have "gotten over it", but have you seen Jarre's current live rig?
Vangelis' Recording rig?






Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
No, he does. 7 billion people on the planet. 10% of 'm have the disposable cash. Only a small percentage of those plays a musical instrument. Yet another part plays keyboard instruments, and a part of that again is actually interested in something beyond ROMplers. Economy's in the ****ter, and you're trying to convince them that they should re-assemble a team, do R&D for 4-5 years to pick up all the skills again, only to find out that people are still going to pay $10K for a Jupiter 8 because - unlike the new thing - it's actually 3 decades old, with a proven track record and lots of mojo.

Even the DX7 sold "only" 100,000 units, and that was by far one of the most popular synths.

Internet forums are a drop in the bucket, populated by mostly the same people.

If you like synthesizers because of their futuristic sounds, it's deeply ironic that you insist on using a 40 year old machine - or at least 40 year old technology to make these sounds with.

Kraftwerk got over it. Why can't you? heh
Old 8th June 2010
  #80
Lives for gear
 
rolo's Avatar
 

"If you like synthesizers because of their futuristic sounds, it's deeply ironic that you insist on using a 40 year old machine - or at least 40 year old technology to make these sounds with.
[/QUOTE]


That's a very ignorant and a totally incorrect statement. I don't use analog synths for "futuristic sounds" I use them because they are more versatile real time sound manipulation. That on top of them sounding bigger, bolder, better than a korg r3 or ableton live software, or reason software, or a yamaha motif. and the most important part... i simply "connect" to the analog synth.. i PLAY the synth in the truest sense. real time modification on several levels allows me to feel what i am playing as a guitarist would a Les Paul.
I have NEVER been able to do that with a modern synth or workstation, much less software. Again, I get the notion that I am not alone here.
Old 8th June 2010
  #81
Lives for gear
 
ChristianRock's Avatar
The last time I heard, DSI had 5 employees. FIVE! I be that is making Roland very jealous, that huge operation DSI has going there

Considering the wait time on those little Oberheims, Tom is probably wiring them himself with the help of a trained monkey. heh

Jupiter widows, it's time to move to the next stage of grief and finally get over the denial that Roland analogs are dead.
Old 8th June 2010
  #82
Lives for gear
 
Jetty's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
The last time I heard, DSI had 5 employees. FIVE! I be that is making Roland very jealous, that huge operation DSI has going there

Considering the wait time on those little Oberheims, Tom is probably wiring them himself with the help of a trained monkey. heh

Jupiter widows, it's time to move to the next stage of grief and finally get over the denial that Roland analogs are dead.
Indeed. Get over it. Why is it so important that Roland and Korg make an analogue? Do you still buy IBM PCs because they made them back in the days?

Everyone can buy a modern analogue from a multitude of vendors. They are pricey because they are expensive to make in small quantities. They are not sold in large quantities because they are not bought in large quantities. They will not be desired in large quantities just because they have a "Korg" or "Roland" sticker. Every person who is interested in synths know where to get them if they want them.
Old 8th June 2010
  #83
Lives for gear
 
rolo's Avatar
 

Right, point taken. Which is why I have bought new brands like Analogue Solutions, Doepfer, etc.

But my point was related to how Roland's "analog va" attempts always fall short. It would be nice if they followed DSI's lead and I think it would restore faith in them as an important synth design company, which in my opinion, they have fallen short in the past 10-15 years.

I am not at all holding my breath on them doing this.

My original post was written to show how out of the picture they have gotten and how out of touch their sales reps are.

Again, the Gaia is a great synth at a great price but looks more vintage than IS vintage. It will serve several very well, just not me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetty View Post
Indeed. Get over it. Why is it so important that Roland and Korg make an analogue? Do you still buy IBM PCs because they made them back in the days?

Everyone can buy a modern analogue from a multitude of vendors. They are pricey because they are expensive to make in small quantities. They are not sold in large quantities because they are not bought in large quantities. They will not be desired in large quantities just because they have a "Korg" or "Roland" sticker. Every person who is interested in synths know where to get them if they want them.
Old 8th June 2010
  #84
Lives for gear
 
rolo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetty View Post
Indeed. Get over it. Why is it so important that Roland and Korg make an analogue? Do you still buy IBM PCs because they made them back in the days?


Finally.. your comment seems to imply that we buy vintage synths because the are "old". That's hardly correct.
Old 8th June 2010
  #85
Lives for gear
 
ChristianRock's Avatar
No... his comment implies that you want to buy products from a certain brand, even if a different brand is making the product you say you want.
Old 9th June 2010
  #86
Lives for gear
 
Jetty's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
No... his comment implies that you want to buy products from a certain brand, even if a different brand is making the product you say you want.
And it's not even an implication, it's a clear statement
Old 9th June 2010
  #87
Lives for gear
 
rolo's Avatar
 

This is crazy perhaps i will simplify my O.P. and i'll leave this thread with it...

I gave a personal review of a new synth...

On that post I ciriticized a Roland REP because of his idotic answers to my sincere questions about the product.

I compared a legendary company with huge financial backing which CAN do better in R&D but apparently wont to very small "mom and pops" who have little financial backing but still do make amazing and creative tools.

What's so difficult to understand about that.

No problem... I'll just continue to turn on my 40 year old OLD boards and make some futuristic sounds so that I can say... hey everyone... I own a minimoog... an obxa, a memorymoog and at least another couple dozen synths.

Peace.
Old 9th June 2010
  #88
Lives for gear
 
rolo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
No... his comment implies that you want to buy products from a certain brand, even if a different brand is making the product you say you want.
yup... i got that. and even though I DO have several modern analog pieces, what's wrong with wanting (and wanting does not mean demanding or expecting here) a historic company ,who has the bank roll to do it, to come out with something everyone on this sub forum would use and love? Seriously... how many dog items has roland released in the past 15 years? The last piece they released that was worth a sh*t IMHO was the JD800/JD990 that was 17 years ago!
Old 9th June 2010
  #89
Lives for gear
 
Stephen Bennett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
Right, point taken. Which is why I have bought new brands like Analogue Solutions, Doepfer, etc.

.
I just want any bugger to make a modern, VCO - based analog poly.

I guess the demise of the Andromeda suggests that most of the seeming desire on here for a modern Roland analog would not be translated into sales - unless it cost £500.

Roland flagship polys were never cheap - I think people sometimes forget that.

Regards

Stephen
Old 9th June 2010
  #90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bennett View Post
I just want any bugger to make a modern, VCO - based analog poly.

I guess the demise of the Andromeda suggests that most of the seeming desire on here for a modern Roland analog would not be translated into sales - unless it cost £500.

Roland flagship polys were never cheap - I think people sometimes forget that.

Regards

Stephen
youre 100% right, people are just stupid and have no buisiness sense whatsoever
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 51 views: 10615
Avatar for Keyflo
Keyflo 16th January 2009
replies: 1456 views: 220856
Avatar for Noisewagon
Noisewagon 31st August 2020
replies: 156 views: 32669
Avatar for Derp
Derp 5th December 2016
replies: 0 views: 769
Avatar for Blackholefc
Blackholefc 29th November 2012
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump