The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha V50 instead of TX81Z? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 weeks ago
The option I was favoring for TX81Z sound + midi stability was the WT11. Sounds excellent, multitimbral, small and has a pitch envelope. Only 32 patch memories tho and editing it is a pain even by Yamaha FM standards: http://www.windsynth.net/documents/W...ret%20Mode.pdf
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The v50 is interesting but I’d recommend an sy77 or sy99 instead if you really want your controller to also bring hardware fm.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDelmarva View Post
Anyone know of tone differences between TX, DX and V50? Is V50 cleaner and with less mojo?
V50 is cleaner but definitely doesn’t lose mojo. It’s essentially two DX11s (or TX81zs) plus a sequencer and a drum machine. Editing is slightly easier than on the DX11 but much better than the TX.

All 3 are great for layering patches to come up with sounds that a DX7 can’t do. But the V50’s extra polyphony and workstation capabilities are why I chose it over a DX11. You have to read the manual to get the most out of the V50, but if you’re familiar with FM synthesis, you can crank out great sounds in no time because of the simplified envelopes. The keyboard feels great, on the level of my SY77 but less clacky (the SY gets more use).

I’d be hard pressed to get rid of it. I also do not recommend an SY77 unless you are into programming. The TQ5 is a TX81z/DX11 with a overly simplified interface. But the pitch envelope and all the other good stuff is accessible only by sysex.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
The TQ5 is a TX81z/DX11 with a overly simplified interface. But the pitch envelope and all the other good stuff is accessible only by sysex.
The TQ5 doesn't support pitch envelope or portamento. It will take patches with them but does not use it.

This is making me want to try out a V50 tho!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDelmarva View Post
Anyone know of tone differences between TX, DX and V50? Is V50 cleaner and with less mojo?
V50 is cleaner but definitely doesn’t lose mojo. It’s essentially two DX11s (or TX81zs) plus a sequencer and a drum machine. Editing is slightly easier than on the DX11 but much better than the TX.

All 3 are great for layering patches to come up with sounds that a DX7 can’t do. But the V50’s extra polyphony and workstation capabilities are why I chose it over a DX11. You have to read the manual to get the most out of the V50, but if you’re familiar with FM synthesis, you can crank out great sounds in no time because of the simplified envelopes. The keyboard feels great, on the level of my SY77 but less clacky (the SY gets more use).

I’d be hard pressed to get rid of it. I also do not recommend an SY77 unless you are into programming. The TQ5 is a TX81z/DX11 with a overly simplified interface. But the pitch envelope and all the other good stuff is accessible only by sysex.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I started with a DX11 and programmed it a lot. Then in a keyboard cull I sold it, missed it and then acquired a TX81Z. I never programmed that bastard. Terrible interface and the sound didn't seem as good as the DX11. Finally sold the TX after many years and bought an FB01. I really like it, it's stuffed with the classic 4-op patches and takes up less space.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search