The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reason Question Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 25th April 2010
Here for the gear

Reason Question

Hey all,
new here. i make all types of house, techno and all that goood stuff. i've been using reason for a while but still can't figure out the best way to create a hi pass filter to apply to drums for breaks, intros etc. In Logic they jsut have a simple hi-pass filter but i can't find one in reason.

also is there any auto pan type of effect in reason for applying to synths or fx. i can automate the pan but was wondering if there was sa better way, like the tremelo in logic.

thanks for your help!
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by solflixx View Post
Hey all,
new here. i make all types of house, techno and all that goood stuff. i've been using reason for a while but still can't figure out the best way to create a hi pass filter to apply to drums for breaks, intros etc. In Logic they jsut have a simple hi-pass filter but i can't find one in reason.

also is there any auto pan type of effect in reason for applying to synths or fx. i can automate the pan but was wondering if there was sa better way, like the tremelo in logic.

thanks for your help!
Look through your Factory Sound bank they should be some customizable auto panning combinator effects.

As for a high pass filter for your drums, you can route the audio through into Thor or Maelstrom's filters. If you are using any of the samplers (NNXT, NN19, Dr REX) for your drums they all have inbuilt filters.
Old 25th April 2010
Here for the gear

awesome...thanks for your help..l
Old 25th April 2010
Gear Addict

Does Logic have rewire? I usually just run Reason through Sonar since I'm on PC, and effect each track using my plugs that aren't tied to Reason.
Old 25th April 2010
Gear Guru

Auto panning should be possible if you use the Matrix sequencer and route it to Thor and use its inputs. I'll make some diagrams if you want.
Old 25th April 2010
Here for the gear

for the auto pan i'm just using the combi patch with the malstrom, easy enough. i was using reason rewired through logic but found thatr using the two i have wayyy to many optionns with synths samples ways to program drums etc and really want to slim down my setup using just mainly just one program. logic is great but i find i am much quicker with reason. i'm the type that nneeds less to make more if you know what i mean. i'll still rewire the individual outputs to logic though for better sound and here and there use some vst's.
Old 25th April 2010
Gear Head

pan
to create panning effects the best way IMO is to route an LFO to the pan on the mixer. so you need to flip the rack round and use the cv connections between mixer pan and something that has LFO out - personally i would use the subtractor synth. this is the basic setup - lfo modulating the pan on the mixer's channel strip. simple and quick, and you will get plenty of ways to create interesting panning by playing with the LFO settings on the subtractor.

if you understand the cv/gate facility in reason then this will be easy. if you don't, then definitely learn about it because its the thing that makes reason so interesting.

hi pass filter
reason is a bit weak in this area and setting up a proper hi-pass is a bit of a pain, but can be done as said above by routing the audio through a synth. personally i would recommend trying the vocoder in it's 'eq' mode - you can set the number of eq bands to play with. its not really a high pass filter, but i think it will do what you want and might be more fun. for example, set it to 4 band eq and you can use it like a dj-mixer style eq where you get the ability to bring in and out the low, mid and high parts of the track.

i think 'Record' might be good as you get a proper mixing desk instead of the out of date piece of crap that reason has had since day one. if you're not using another DAW then that might be an option. if i didn't use logic i might be tempted.

cheers

md
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search