The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Polysix vs Juno 60 vs Juno 106
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Nut

Polysix vs Juno 60 vs Juno 106

Looking in tp buy one of theese in a couple of months, which one of them would you recommend and why?

How are they different soundwise?

Would be glad to hear your thoughts!

Thanks
Old 15th April 2010
Deleted 8456dd3
Juno 106 is brighter and more clean modern.
Juno 60 and Polysix are quite vintage sounding.
Polysix ensemble is nice.
Id go with the Polysix for something dark and vintage or a 106 if you want modern.
106 is great for tons of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotkiv View Post
Looking in tp buy one of theese in a couple of months, which one of them would you recommend and why?

How are they different soundwise?

Would be glad to hear your thoughts!

Thanks
Old 15th April 2010
I would never buy a 106. The 60 sounds way better.
The Polysix is an equally good choice, but I just personally prefer the sound of the 60's filter and chorus.
Old 15th April 2010
Difficult to answer in the abstract without knowing (a) what other gear you have and (b) what kind of music you like to make. If you're mainly interested in the sound, you can learn a lot from youtube videos. Not ideal, I know, but sufficient to hear some basic tonal differences. Also, use the search function here and on Vintage Synth Explorer. Endless discussion of both synths.

As an owner of the Polysix and Juno 60, I'll just share some brief thoughts.

Polysix

Pros:

* discrete VCO through SSM filter = gorgeous sound (without onboard FX)
* very powerful in unison mode (can almost stand up to my Pro-One)
* knob per function = simple/efficient layout
* decent onboard FX (though the ensemble effect is a bit overrated, IMO)
* arpeggiator fun for noodling
* relatively fast envelopes (and thus decent for bass and percussive sounds)

Cons:

* risk of battery leakage (MUST CHECK BEFORE BUYING)
* only one oscillator (but the sub osc helps)
* no MIDI, no CV/Gate in (= slightly more difficult to incorporate into a setup)

Juno 60

Pros:

* same filter and (hardware) envelopes as Jupiter 8
* signature Roland chorus = lovely sound
* lightning fast envelopes (excellent for bass, percussive sounds, arpeggiations, brass stabs)
* can combine waveforms on single oscillator
* slider per function = simple/efficient layout
* arpeggiator fun for noodling

Cons:

* only one oscillator (but sub osc helps)
* no MIDI
* signature sound = tendency to sound the same no matter what (but this is exaggerated in my opinion; and in any case, that's a hell of a beautiful sound to begin with)

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts. They're both good analog synthesizers, they each have large and dedicated followings, and it is difficult to make either sound bad. In making your decision, just try to think through how either one would fit into your current setup (that, in my view, is the key issue).

Best of luck.
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

No surprise, I'd go with Polysix,

I quite simply prefer the sound, it has a more american tone, which greatly appeals to me, even though I own a Trident, I still would take a Polysix as there is a definate difference, Its also quite a transparent synth, Its hard to identify it in a track, where a Juno is normally quite obvious (though not nessarsarily a bad thing) Something about the SSM sound really soothes my ear drums.

...also It seems everybody and there dog seems to have a Juno which would put me off given the choice of the three heh When I see all these 'Im gonna get a Juno' threads, it always astonishes me that other synths such as P6, DK-600/Opera 6, AX60 aren't taken into consideration, as they are equally good if not better, to some ears.

I have spent quite a bit of time with a Juno, as I owned a Juno 6 for quite a while. I found it to be an excellent sound designing tool, great hands on control interface & having no patch memory, made you program it. Got to a point where I could dial in sounds almost without thinking. Just got tired of its sameyish sound eventually and got rid of it. (I did find that by turning off the internal chorus and processing it externally somewhat helped though)

imo of course
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

Hi. I have been fortunate enough to own a Juno 106 and 60 over the past year. To my ears they are completely different beast.

The 106 rules on bass and strings, the 60 for pads chords stabs and arpeggios.

To me the 106 sounds like what we all wish a soft-synth could sound like and the 60 sounds like it is a real, old, synth.

I first owned the 106, sold it and bought the 60.

I have since sold the 60 and would love to own another 106 for bass.

I did not like the 60 on bass.
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

To elaborate I felt that the 60 could not hold a candle to my P5.

Everything the 60 could do my P5 can do better, exept for pulse width modulation on the envelope.

The 106 however does something the p5 cannot.

It has its own sound

Shiny and smooth.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks for all great replies!

My setup at the moment:
Korg MS-20
X0xb0x
DSI Mopho (though I do consider of selling it)
SP-404
Roland S-330
Jomox Xbase09
Tr-606
Mackie 1202

Going to buy:
Kenton Pro Solo
Alesis MMT-8

I'm making electronic/acid house music with a touch of funk and old hip hop like De La Soul.

My biggest influences in the genre are early Daft Punk (pre-2000 Daft Punk) and Mr Oizo. I know that Daft Punk heavily used a Juno 106 but it doesn't stop me from looking in to other options. I'm not going to copy their early sound but it certainly do inspire and influence me.

Hope that will give you all a better idea what fits me.

Thanks!
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

Juno 106 is a sub-bass monster. "Why does my heart feel so bad" is good example of it. "Power of Goodbye" is another. Great for many other stuff too, trully workhorse. I like it more than a Juno 60.
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

A Juno 60 or a Polysix would be a great synth and it's basically personal taste between them.
Never liked the 106 as much as the 60 (despite having used one for years!)
Loads of the polysix have battery leakage, so watch that.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Nut

Ok, feels like this is a competition between the Polysix and the Juno-60.

Watched this video and loved it, think it will compliment my MS-20 just great. Will watch some Polysix videos too. Meanwhile, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks

EDIT: Gotta ask, did a quick research on Ebay to get a price idea, but it was pretty variated and alot of non-finnished auctions. What is the "average" price for theese beauties?
Old 15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

Problem is, if you do a search in google asking Polysix vs Juno 60, you will find this question has been asked so many times.

The outcome is always divided. Theres no winner. Its a personal choice.

Polysix's and Juno 60's seem to go in UK for inbetween £350 - £600.

I wouldn't pay more than £400 for either though.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Addict

Sold my Polysix. Much prefer the Juno sound.
Old 15th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post

On this side of the pond, I'd say that Juno 60s go for between $450-$900, and Polysixes btw $600-$800. Not sure why the range on Junos is so much wider. I think $700 is a reasonable ceiling for both.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Problem is, if you do a search in google asking Polysix vs Juno 60, you will find this question has been asked so many times.

The outcome is always divided. Theres no winner. Its a personal choice.

Did a search on google before creating this thread. There were some results and threads about it, but didn't find one covering exactly this subject at gearslutz, which I have the most trust in when it comes to electronic music. There were a thread though covering the subject at FutureProducers, but actually I don't have so much trust in that forum.

Actually, I thought about a price around 500€ including shipping, which is the most I will pay for one of theese. Will probably sell my Mopho and therefore skipping buying a BCR 2000 cause of no need then, so thats like 300€ covering the cost already. I do think my MS-20 is enough for me when it comes to monosynth and I do think that the MS-20 + a good polysynth pretty much will be enough for me for a long time, maybe forever. I do think it's better to keep it less when it comes to equipment and get to know the stuff you have better, two badass synths (like MS-20 & Juno/Polysix) is enough in synthway to create an entire electronic album...

Thanks!
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

I really would also consider Siel DK-600 and Akai AX60. Im very surprised these aren't discussed more often here.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
I really would also consider Siel DK-600 and Akai AX60. Im very surprised these aren't discussed more often here.
Will check them up, thanks for the suggestions! Just the way I want it
Old 15th April 2010
Quote:
I do think my MS-20 is enough for me when it comes to monosynth and I do think that the MS-20 + a good polysynth pretty much will be enough for me for a long time, maybe forever.
OK, if you're thinking of a single polysynth to go with your MS20, as part of a long-term, two synth setup, you might want to consider -- just to muddy the waters -- a Prophet 600. Slightly more expensive (but 500€ might get you close), but then you're getting a dual VCO machine with signature "Curtis" or "American" sound. That would go swell with the MS20, I'd think...
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

Not alot of vids for the Siel DK600/Opera 6 but this one gives a taste of its sound at the last quarter (3:54 onwards) of the video.

I've always wanted one, but alas, they seem quite rare these days.

Old 15th April 2010
Gear Nut

Hey there!

I actually own all three and do like them all. Here's my 2 cents. Here are a couple things to keep in mind.

The Poly 6 has no Midi and no CV/Gate, so you'll have to have a Midi kit installed if you want to use it with a sequencer. The battery leaking and ruining some of PCB's is common. Also the maintenance on the Poly 6 has been a pain. The cool things about the synth. It's has a "old" sound to it, really nice though. The chorus/phaser/ensemble is awesome. The PWM is fantastic as well. Also I send a rimshot out of my sequencer and lock the Arpeggiator to the seq. That's always fun.

I personally think the 106 is awesome. I've had mine for 15 + years and it's only been in the shop once. Also remember you can send send and receive all fader movements into your seq. That's huge for me. While the 106 isn't as "warm" as the other's it can rip your head off or be mellow. The portamento and unison mode are really cool too. You can do MC202 or 303'ish basslines.

I really like the 60 too. It's pads are awesome. ( I don't use the chorus too often, I use outboard..) Oh, I've had the 60 since 96 and it's never been in the shop. Kudos to old Roland's for almost always working. The 60 has no MIDI, so you'll need a Kenton Pro DCB. That's like an extra $200. So I almost always use the 60 for nice warm analog pads. It kills everything else in that regard. But I prefer using the other 2 for Leads, Bass, FX, etc.

Oh if set right the Poly 6 puts out some of the most amazing sub bass around. Piss off your neighbors!

I hope that helps! And honestly, you can't really go wrong with either 3. After all, they are analog synths.

G
Old 15th April 2010
Quote:
Siel DK600...
I've always wanted one, but alas, they seem quite rare these days.
Me too. For a while I kept an eye out and it seemed that every one that came up for sale either had major issues or was just completely broken. I guess these were put together rather cheaply.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Nut

Roland Juno-60 is in the front at the moment, feels like it suits my need perfectly. The Polysix is still very interesting too but it's "midi problem" really is a problem...

But there are a couple of months left to change my mind.

EDIT: Just noticed there is no portamento on Juno-60 nor Polysix, which brings up the Juno-106 to consideration again.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Roland Juno-60 is in the front at the moment, feels like it suits my need perfectly. The Polysix is still very interesting too but it's "midi problem" really is a problem...

But there are a couple of months left to change my mind.

EDIT: Just noticed there is no portamento on Juno-60 nor Polysix, which brings up the Juno-106 to consideration again.

Yea the no Portamento and lack of MIDI on the 60 is a bit of a pain. The PRO DCB works great, but it will up the cost for you. And keep in mind I can get the 106 to sound almost exactly the same as the 60. In a mix, no one would ever know. Also if you have decent hardware or software reverbs and/or delays that will really help out.

I love the 106, it's crazy flexible and almost always makes it into every track or remix I do. Oh, also on the 106 if you have a MIDI editor you can get the PWM to go into DC offset. This makes for really cool staccato type pads, since the DCO's going in and out. Nice warm pads, strange IDM leads and pads, fat basses, thin basses, Sweet Res sweeps, Faders send CC, etc etc etc. I don't think you can wrong! There are a lot of artists that have used just the 106 to make records as well. Watch out for voice chips going bad on these little guys....

G
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge Modular View Post
And keep in mind I can get the 106 to sound almost exactly the same as the 60. In a mix, no one would ever know.
I'd like to agree but can't!
60 is totally different. No way. Sorry.
Certain sounds could get close but they are too different as synths.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:

Flat Earth: I agree! I love the AX60. Totally underrated synth that sounds killer. The DK-600 is nice too. Not as warm to my ears and is a bit moody as well. Some have maintenance problems. Why not buy all of them, then you won't have to choose!

The more synths the merrier! "Brrreeeeoooooooooowwww"
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

If we are throwing other synths in, I'd add the Kawai SX-240. 2 DCO and an SSM filter make it quite powerful.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
I'd like to agree but can't!
60 is totally different. No way. Sorry.
Certain sounds could get close but they are too different as synths.

That's cool! I do use them for different things, but was shocked a couple years back when I got both sounding the same/similar. So messed around trying to get each one to mimic the other and was surprised at the similarties. I could be totally wrong too!

Maybe I should post some A/B sounds tests and see what people think.....

G
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge Modular View Post
That's cool! I do use them for different things, but was shocked a couple years back when I got both sounding the same/similar. So messed around trying to get each one to mimic the other and was surprised at the similarties. I could be totally wrong too!

Maybe I should post some A/B sounds tests and see what people think.....

G

I think some sounds could cross over (and match even) but the 60 sounds SO much richer to my ears. I used one for years and not much could come close and the 106's I have experienced were much thinner sounding.
The 106 was the main synth (when I was doing techno in I guess the late 80's) amongst most my colleagues though. It cuts through a mix nicely but for deeper stuff I think the 60 is miles better.
It's all good though!
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
I think some sounds could cross over (and match even) but the 60 sounds SO much richer to my ears. I used one for years and not much could come close and the 106's I have experienced were much thinner sounding.
The 106 was the main synth (when I was doing techno in I guess the late 80's) amongst most my colleagues though. It cuts through a mix nicely but for deeper stuff I think the 60 is miles better.
It's all good though!
Totally, it is all good!thumbsup

Oh, absolutely beautiful studio BTW. Serge is on the floor! Eeks!
You even have a 2500 too. Phew! You win on having way more cooler stuff than I. What kind of music are you making now?
📝 Reply