The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bucket brigade analog delays: old school or new, rack or pedal?
Old 14th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I have a Biyang AD7 (single chip) pedal that I'm really happy with and it was cheap. It has up to 1100 ms delay and sounds really gritty. The Biyang AD8 is a double chip pedal which has a cleaner sound. I purchased the AD7 because I didn't want clean sound, I wanted something which colour the sound.
If I want clean delays I use the Symetrix 606 or a plug-in.

Kind regards
Demokid
Lives for gear

Have an original moog mf104 delay with control pedal plugged into my minimoog model d with a mpu101 cv-midi interface.
Mostly play the moog live into my sequencer.

Dan P
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan p View Post
Have an original moog mf104 delay with control pedal plugged into my minimoog model d with a mpu101 cv-midi interface.
Mostly play the moog live into my sequencer.

Dan P
Yeah, the only downside to the new Malekko is lack of CV input, but maybe that will be an option at some point.

Old 15th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I got an Ibanez AD-80 about 20 years ago, not knowing that it was such a fetish object for guitarists. Still use it. Amazing tone. Full of dub.

Not strictly analog but the Boss half-rack delays (RSD-10, RPS-10) sound good and can do some incredibly wacky things, like track playback to the pitch of an incoming audio signal. (!) For early digital kit they are super good and warm sounding. I think the built-in compression is part of the magic.
Old 7th September 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

BBD chips here: Visual Sound - Guitar Effects Pedals, 1 SPOT Pedalboard Power Supplies, and more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
i talked to my brother, an electronics engineer, into looking into getting a bucket brigade IC to build a delay unit for me. after a few days of looking he told me they dont really make them anymore. of course, they might and he just doesn't know where to look. so i am very interested if they are making new BB delays.
Lives for gear

Have dozen of analogue delays (Diamond Lane, Memoryman, Moog, Toneczar etc) and dunno why, but I generally prefer early batches of Boss DM2 and Ibanez AD80 (specially on guitars) over anything else (have two of both).
Here for the gear

AFAIK Red Witch Titan dosn't use any BBD chips - its an analogue voiced digital pedal. That doesn't make it any less interesting, though.
Old 15th June 2014
Gear Head

I use a Roland DC-20 Analog Echo and also two Yamaha E1005's (for stereo delays!)

The DC-20 has a deep, dark and fuzzy sound to it with a very distinct feedback ability. A little noisy and doesn't pick up high frequencies at all tho but definitely better than DC-10 which has shorter delay time. Its also the exact same thing as the Boss DM-100 only with the Roland name on it. Very Dub reggae oriented piece.

The Yamaha E1005 is a much cleaner, fuller frequency unit with more capabilities in delay times and modulation (Great flanging abilities too). Very precise reproduction of the send signals. It can be more transparent in the mix or the complete opposite as well. These units (as well as the E1010) are much more in control than most of the other BBD options and are VERY suitable for tracking whereas the DC-20 is more for special effects. AS I said I have two for stereo use or as separate units and used as stereo the sound is amazingly good.

I have used the Mooger Fooger delay and its more along the lines of the DC-20. Very fuzzy sounding but kind of cleaner. The make quality is great but the price is silly when you could buy two of these Yamahas for less money and actually have WAY WAY better outcomes in the studio.

RE AMPING IS A MUST!!!

So many people (including myself at one time) think its ok to use pedals or other guitar intended units in a studio or keyboard/synth setting. Its totally wrong. The inputs of all these units are for guitar/mic which is higher in gain impedance. With this said when you send a synths signal or a send from a mixer you immediately overload the inputs and get a much more distorted sound (which is good if thats what your looking for but usually not). Use a reamp box from Radial or Art and your line levels get converted to guitar level before going into the inputs. More headroom much cleaner delays and output. People fight me on this all the time but its true and I know the difference. Even with the Mooger Foogers you should re amp
Old 22nd July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

dm-100 or ad-100?

Obvious answer is both, of course

But if it's the real world, and you must compromise with only one, which would you choose? The Boss is a chorus too, so I'm leaning towards it. With that said, I wonder if the Ibanez sounds "better" .. Better - for me - is, sweeter and gooier ... like tasty honey (by comparison, the e1005 just sounds hi-fi ... to be fair though, people in the pre-digital world were probably blown away when the Yamahas hit the market). I should add that I'm gathering bits and pieces of the sound of these based on yt videos, so I'm hoping to hear from folks with first hand experience.

I'm just throwing this out there as an afterthought - how is Strymon's brigadier? Can it hold its own against real bbd? Their whitepaper offered a little insight, but there's not as much concrete data as in those old Jensen whitepapers. It's understandable due to the different technologies too, so still, I appreciated the effort.
Old 23rd July 2014
Has anyone tried the DM-2 reissue yet?
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Boss DM-2 here.
It sounds awesome and I use it on everything.

Listened to video clip of DM-2 reissue and it doesn't sound the same.
Original is more blurry, darker and warmer.
Old 23rd July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamexclaime View Post
RE AMPING IS A MUST!!!

So many people (including myself at one time) think its ok to use pedals or other guitar intended units in a studio or keyboard/synth setting. Its totally wrong. The inputs of all these units are for guitar/mic which is higher in gain impedance. With this said when you send a synths signal or a send from a mixer you immediately overload the inputs and get a much more distorted sound (which is good if thats what your looking for but usually not). Use a reamp box from Radial or Art and your line levels get converted to guitar level before going into the inputs. More headroom much cleaner delays and output. People fight me on this all the time but its true and I know the difference. Even with the Mooger Foogers you should re amp
I've always used guitar pedals with synths and its not a "must", only with some pedals and there these delightful things on synths called volume knobs. A lot of vintage synths have low enough outputs that they will hardly bother the majority of guitar pedals.
But guitar signals are so low that trying to get a synth that quiet, then amplifying the signal will be likely to cause issues with noise.
But if you are going to use guitar pedals as send effects from a mixer, then necessary.
📝 Reply