The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does an Arp 2600 sound better than an Odyssey? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Does an Arp 2600 sound better than an Odyssey?

Just got an Arp 2600. Learning it.

Never played an Arp Odyssey, so I can't compare. Would love to ehar from anyone who knows.

Other than routing flexibility, how do they compare sonically?

-Andrews
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

sound wise they are fairly similar. Obviously the 2600 is more flexible.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathfinnie View Post
sound wise they are fairly similar. Obviously the 2600 is more flexible.

Is there technically anything with the design or architecture (again, sonically over just flexibility) that would give an advantage over one or the other?

-Andrews
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Basically sound the same, but less features on the Odyssey, however the Odyssey does have some extra features that the 2600 doesnt have like osc sync, dedicated lfo and hpf.
2600 is patchable, has a preamp, spring reverb, extra oscillator, lag processors.. Odyssey doesnt have those features.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

the 2600 sound varies so much from unit to unit. As with any analog machine I guess. . I want one with a mixer section that overdrives easily.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack View Post
the 2600 sound varies so much from unit to unit. As with any analog machine I guess. . I want one with a mixer section that overdrives easily.
I recently snagged a "Grey Meanie" and am getting to know it.... sounds different from another one that convinced me to get one (I may even prefer this one more)

I'll admit though, I'm a bit intimidated!

-Andrews
Old 4th April 2010
The audio processing on the 2600 was what slayed me.
Firstly, it's a truly nice sounding synth (similar to the Odyssey), but when you add the semi modular patching, the spring reverb and the audio input, it makes it a fantastic creative machine IMO.
The spring reverb is really great IMO.
The audio input can add light character to monster grit.
Both audio input and reverb are useful in any genre of music I think.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
The audio processing on the 2600 was what slayed me.
Firstly, it's a truly nice sounding synth (similar to the Odyssey), but when you add the semi modular patching, the spring reverb and the audio input, it makes it a fantastic creative machine IMO.
The spring reverb is really great IMO.
The audio input can add light character to monster grit.
Both audio input and reverb are useful in any genre of music I think.
And THAT is exactly what tipped me in favor of the 2600, can't wait to get it hooked into the patchbay and tweaking vocals and drums through it

Always open to tips.

-Andrews
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Get yourself a copy of the 2600 owner's manual (you can find copies on line in various places), even if you already know quite a bit about synthesis. It has more than just info on the specific functions of the 2600's modules, it is a very useful source of info on subtractive synthesis in general and has tons of 2600 patching tips.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
Get yourself a copy of the 2600 owner's manual (you can find copies on line in various places), even if you already know quite a bit about synthesis. It has more than just info on the specific functions of the 2600's modules, it is a very useful source of info on subtractive synthesis in general and has tons of 2600 patching tips.
Yes, I will. Thanks

-andrews
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

as to your original question...

the differences are minimal or huge in sound. there are 4 major revisions of the 2600 and 2 for the oddy.

2600 oscs changed 3 times and the filter was changed as well as the complete gain staging on the last series. oddy has 2 major revisions the second being closest to the last series 2600 the first being close to the non marvin version 2600's with the moog filter but the newer oscs.

the 2600 is superior to the oddy osc sync be damned. the oddy is still a great and versatile synth the 2600 is just so much more awesome in range of possible sounds. just take a patch cord from osc 1's output to the fm input of osc 3 and you'll get r2d2 with some slider fiddling. also the 2600 being semi vertical doesn't suffer as much from slider gunkyness as the oddy does.

be glad you didn't save the cash and get an oddy instead and went for the 2600...
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post
be glad you didn't save the cash and get an oddy instead and went for the 2600...
You really think its worth it? As you can tell, I'm having a bad bout of buyer's remorse... ok, no remorse for the Arp 2600 itself, just worried I went overboard and hope its worth it. I know, I know
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
You really think its worth it? As you can tell, I'm having a bad bout of buyer's remorse... ok, no remorse for the Arp 2600 itself, just worried I went overboard and hope its worth it. I know, I know
you got a grey faced 2600. just get some cables and you'll not regret your purchase trust me, it's muuuuuccchhhhh better than an oddy. anyone trying to tell you there isn't much the 2600 can do the oddy can't is someone with an oddy and no 2600.

the oddy for sure is a great and versatile synth and can do a hell of a lot. the 2600 is that much more. the minimoog is a piece of crap compared to the oddy.

for comparison...

an oddy is a ferrari the mini a volkswagon bug.
the 2600 is a semi truck the mini is a bicycle.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post
you got a grey faced 2600. just get some cables and you'll not regret your purchase trust me, it's muuuuuccchhhhh better than an oddy. anyone trying to tell you there isn't much the 2600 can do the oddy can't is someone with an oddy and no 2600.

the oddy for sure is a great and versatile synth and can do a hell of a lot. the 2600 is that much more. the minimoog is a piece of crap compared to the oddy.

for comparison...

an oddy is a ferrari the mini a volkswagon bug.
the 2600 is a semi truck the mini is a bicycle.

heh... I love it. Feeling less guilty already
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

come on, the mini owns fat. It is pure liquid fatness. Maybe not versatile. Well, definitely not, but it is pure quality. Its sound is perfection really.
Old 4th April 2010
The earlier 2600's are fat enough.
They sound as good as a Mini and have the semi-modularity to add a bonus.
Andrews,
Don't have remorse.
You've bought an all time classic, a keeper.
It has a sound of it's own, which is a plus in a world where everything strives to sound vanilla.
I sold mine when I bought a Serge system.
I should have kept it. It was a fantastic sounding synth, one of the best i've ever owned.

I don't have any tips for using the audio input really. Just do it!
If you are using electronic drum sounds, just pump a few or a mix through the audio input with the filter fully open. Turn the volume knob clockwise to hear the sounds fatten and become more aggressive.
If you are working with real drums, try sending a room mic to the 2600. Turn the volume knob and blend the 2600 in with the rest of the kit. You'll be adding more grainy bigness.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

The early 2600s used Teledyne opamps. While they had excellent fidelity, they had a tendency to latch up and die.

ARP remedied by switching to LM301 opamps but their fidelity was nowhere near as good and they do not have the high end of the Teledynes.

I would LOVE to own a 2600. A friend has a beautiful specimen that he got from a retired military man. Bastard sold him the 2600 for $600 because he kept his Omni so he could play chords.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

lol, and you know there are lots of old men with 2600's in their garage
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
That's some very good advice indeed.
Old 5th April 2010
Haven't used one in a while, but those greyfaced 2600s are incredible synths. Way more flexible than an Odyssey. Take the time to get to know it and your creative process will change in profound ways...
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Sold my 2600 a while back, I still have two Odysseys. I much prefer the Odyssey to just stand in front of and play for fun, it is a great synth to just rip with. The Oddy is just such an easy machine to engage with.

Having said that, you did the right thing, the 2600 can make some monster sounds and is much more useful in a studio. It can grind in a way the Oddy simply cannot.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Great advice from everyone and you've all eased my buyer's remorse (not so much remorse as just intimidated! heh)

Can't wait to share some tracks with you using the 2600

Thanks all!
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack View Post
come on, the mini owns fat. It is pure liquid fatness. Maybe not versatile. Well, definitely not, but it is pure quality. Its sound is perfection really.
yeah it's sound possibilities are fat...
all 2 of them.

it does a decent bass and a whiny lead. anything else i missed sound wise the mini does?

had one for a brief time, and it frankly sucked ass. would make a good bass sound and would do those horrible wakeman leads. anything else and it just sounded like a cat dying or a fog horn. horrible lack of possibilities. it would do bass easily because of the filter. no mod routing meant no interesting movement in the sound at all beyond analog drift. the oddy kicks it's ass in variety and has good bass and leads too. the 2600 beats it hands down in every way except knobs. those sliders are a pain to move with any precision, but once you get something dialed in your happier than you could ever be on a mini.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

it serves a purpose. I agree its not versatile, but the Mini has a sound like no other synth. If you need that sound than go for it. Im not into this one synth fits all business.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Nice buy Dirty Halo, I think though I would prefer to buy 3 Odysseys for the money and have them all on the same CV for a monster synth
Old 5th April 2010
I own a beautiful 2600 (with the "moog" filter) and an Black and Gold Odyssey.

The Arp 2600 is THE star at my studio, but for some reason, there are certain sounds on the Odyssey, that can't be replicated with the 2600 (or at least I can't ).

I love both beasts, I paid a lot for my 2600 and felt remorse 5 minutes after the buy, but when it arrived and listened to it, I was very, very happy, as I said, it is THE star at my place (Along with my Jupiter 8 heh).

Andrews, if you ever need anything for your 2600, this guys are great: About SE | www.sainteric.eu

They gave me a fantastic service with parts for my ARP.

Best regards and CONGRATULATIONS.

delcosmos.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

I have two 2600's. Grey and Orange. I would definitely recommend getting it modded to do Osc Sync....opens up the 2600 in a very big way.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

I've played two 2600's and one Odyssey. Never said to myself, "OMG the 2600's sound so much better!"

I think they both sound fine.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
I've played two 2600's and one Odyssey. Never said to myself, "OMG the 2600's sound so much better!"

I think they both sound fine.
I would agree. They both sound great. The 2600 just has far greater capabilities.

As I said...add the osc sync and an extra LFO and the 2600 becomes a beast.

I have to say the spring reverb tank commonly found in the 2600 is one of the worst I've ever heard. It was a much cheaper and shorter reverb tank compared to the original design.

If you can get the proper reverb tank in there too. I believe someone sells them
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Arp Odyssey was the first synth I ever owned and sat on a suitcase fender rohdes,my first giging rig back in 75.It was definetly versatile but back then I kept trying to make it sound like a minimoog.I knew another person who had a 2600 and for some reason it seemed to sound fatter and it is more versatile.
There is a great video here on GS about Vince Clark and it shows him using his 2600 for a few minutes along with an interesting interview worth looking at!

Dan P

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search