The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Gap Band - Dropped A Bomb on Me "Shooting Star" sound Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1
Here for the gear
 

The Gap Band - Dropped A Bomb on Me "Shooting Star" sound

So I'm sort of obsessed with re-creating this "shooting star" sound in the tune. I've tried a number of things, but I'm not getting it quite right. If your not familiar with the song or the sound I'm referring to... the sound happens 16 sec in YouTube - The Gap Band - You Dropped a Bomb on Me

I understand The Gap Band employed a Mini Moog, but imagine the patch could be created with any capable synth. At first I tried using some lead sounds with a mono/glide effect which comes close, but something is still definitely missing. I've also tried messing with the Amp Attack envelope, and the Cutoff Filter attack setting, as well as the pitch wheel with lesser success. Was wondering if anyone knew straightaway which techniquie or combination of techniques is used for this?

Much thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
Old 2nd April 2010
  #2
Gear Head
 
jholmes's Avatar
 

That's a friggin' badass song, man. I was rockin' it this morning. heh

Try turning the resonance all the way up and having the EG rock the cutoff down when you hit it. Probably some EQ on the track too, via the mix/master process, but that should do it.

There's also this video, btw:

YouTube - The Gap Band - You Dropped A Bomb On Me
Old 2nd April 2010
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Thanks J,

I'm gonna try that this weekend.

Best
Steve
Old 2nd April 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 

If your synth has self-oscillating filters, crank resonance all the way up, turn off all osc waveforms or turn them down in the mixer, set the envelope with 0 attack, slow decay, 0 sustain, and release the same as decay. Set the filter envelope level so the filter sweeps downward. Adjust decay/release to adjust the rate of the drop, and you're golden! (This is how a Minimoog does it)

If your synth doesn't have self-oscillating filters, use a sine or triangle wave, or a filtered square wave, and have an envelope drop the pitch in the same manner as the filter cutoff above. Have the amp EG fade the sound out at the same rate as the pitch drop.

Easy peasy on most synths.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #5
yep filter resonance
Old 2nd April 2010
  #6
Gear Head
 

Bad tune.

Personally I prefer Burn Rubbers bass melody esp. around the 3:28 mark. As for that, well, the I can hear two synth basslines going on. The lead gruffy and pitch bent one, which is clearly hand tweeked, and another more subtle line with shorter/lower VCF decay. Both sound mint IMHO.. but then I am a sucker p-funk and 80's groove synths re: Panache (every brother), Fat back (girls on my mind) Lowrell (mellow, mellow right on), Maze (twilight)

YouTube - The Gap Band - Burn Rubber

Ive got a Mini, so Ill try and get something similar to see.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc View Post
So I'm sort of obsessed with re-creating this "shooting star"

the sound happens 16 sec in YouTube - The Gap Band - You Dropped a Bomb on Me
this Risign Star is much better... funny video too!
01:11 - 01:24
Old 3rd April 2010
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
If your synth has self-oscillating filters, crank resonance all the way up, turn off all osc waveforms or turn them down in the mixer, set the envelope with 0 attack, slow decay, 0 sustain, and release the same as decay. Set the filter envelope level so the filter sweeps downward. Adjust decay/release to adjust the rate of the drop, and you're golden! (This is how a Minimoog does it)

If your synth doesn't have self-oscillating filters, use a sine or triangle wave, or a filtered square wave, and have an envelope drop the pitch in the same manner as the filter cutoff above. Have the amp EG fade the sound out at the same rate as the pitch drop.

Easy peasy on most synths.
Cool. I only have soft synths, so I'll give try the 2nd technique if my soft synths can't do that (I use mostly NI Komplete - FM8, Massive, Abynth, Pr-53).

Cheers
Old 3rd April 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc View Post
Cool. I only have soft synths, so I'll give try the 2nd technique if my soft synths can't do that (I use mostly NI Komplete - FM8, Massive, Abynth, Pr-53).

Cheers
Pr-53 should do it (that's the Prophet 5 simulator, right?) Or FM8, just use 1 operator (sine waveform) and use a pitch envelope.
Old 10th September 2010
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Might be a bit of an unexpected request...

I know most folks look for that awesome dropping bomb sound, but not me. I want that synth bass sound. It's so friggin phatt and funky and perfect.

Was this done on a moog? I've been trying to nail down what they used, but I can't find any details about it specifically. There's a couple of early Youtube vids that show a moog on stage, but I can't figure out what the other keys are (There are at least two) or which one is being used for the bass part. On later vids, they started masking off the make and model of the synths.

Can anyone help me reproduce that sound?
Old 10th September 2010
  #11
Gear Nut
 

I always thought the synths sounded like it was mostly a Juno 6 or Juno 60. You can here the Juno chorus in the sounds. As for the bass, not sure. Could be a Moog.
Old 11th September 2010
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc View Post
So I'm sort of obsessed with re-creating this "shooting star" sound in the tune. I've tried a number of things, but I'm not getting it quite right. If your not familiar with the song or the sound I'm referring to... the sound happens 16 sec in YouTube - The Gap Band - You Dropped a Bomb on Me
Start with a noise source. Run it through a lowpass filter with resonance almost to self-oscillation but not quite.

Set filter cutoff fairly low and envelope depth fairly high. Set filter attack and sustain to zero, with decay and release fairly high (but not all the way up unless you want the bomb to really take it's time).

Set amplifier envelope attack to zero, with decay , sustain, and release all the way up.

It's the simplest sound in the world and you can get it on pretty much any synth with a noise source and two envelope generators.

Here it is on a V-Synth: I just did if for this. Sorry about the YouTube thing, the quality isn't good but it's the quickest way to get an example up.


Listening to it now that it's up, I should have lowered cutoff and raised envelope amount a little. But you can mess around with those settings as you create the sound on your own synth.
Old 29th March 2013
  #13
Here for the gear
 

How to make that Bass patch?

Agreed. anybody got the dirt on that bass synth sound??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass_killah View Post
I know most folks look for that awesome dropping bomb sound, but not me. I want that synth bass sound. It's so friggin phatt and funky and perfect.

Was this done on a moog? I've been trying to nail down what they used, but I can't find any details about it specifically. There's a couple of early Youtube vids that show a moog on stage, but I can't figure out what the other keys are (There are at least two) or which one is being used for the bass part. On later vids, they started masking off the make and model of the synths.

Can anyone help me reproduce that sound?
Old 14th May 2016
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Has anyone re-created that Gap Band "Shooting Star" "Bomb Drop" sound with the Yamaha Motif ES or the MOXF
Let me know please and thanks.
Old 14th May 2016
  #15
Gear Head
There's a video on youtube saying elements of the song were done with a Korg Poly 61 . If you browse through the comments here you can see talk of its use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VphBfMfVRNo
Old 1st May 2017
  #16
Gear Nut
 

Like more funk bands back than it's very likely the Gap Band uses two minimoogs for their signature sound, or a mini for the bottom and a prophet 5 for the gritt.

This video, does at least show two mini's and a P5.
The playing is staged in favor of the video esthetics but the instruments could be real!
I guess it's possible to link those machines.

Old 1st May 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Isn't the bass as simple as: triangle wave does the low body, saw or square does the grit ?
Just 2 oscillators, no envelope filter modulation, no resonance.
Old 1st May 2017
  #18
Gear Nut
 

A single mini ? Could be, but with some heavy compression on top then!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Etch-A-Sketch / Post Production forum
1
beau_mckee / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
5
Stoneroses6300 / So much gear, so little time
4
genericperson / So much gear, so little time
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump