The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
John Bowen Solaris Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
^ no direct feed - FAIL
he's done another one. this time direct feed, complete with bonus gound-loop fail

Old 17th July 2012
Lives for gear

Much better though.
I do appreciate people putting the effort in.
It bugs me that almost no affordable cameras have line in anymore..
Anyway, I still think it's a synth that seems to need hands on experience. I would love to try one out.
Old 17th July 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I'm trying, but I do music professionally as a business. And they say Business is war. Therefore Music=War. You can see my predicament!

p.s. Welcome to Gearslutz!

Thanks,
Frank
heh... yeah, the old studio setup had the rack full of gear, but I've redone my studio around a "keyboard desk" vs around a mixing console I was pretty much using as inputs. It's in an ATA case right now (the mixer). The new setup is based around composing, and also moved the Mac for better cooling in Summer here (no A/C).

Black+White Matrix 1000s ... now that's a somewhat fun and esoteric story there, and probably only Oberheim nuts would even spot that.

I used to do music professionally (member ASCAP), did couple of TV show soundtracks back in the 80s, played in bands, put out bunch of cassettes, couple of limited edition CDs, played on radio, etc.

Probably a hobby at this point, but I intend to launch yet another sample based business with usable samples of vintage gear most people can't ever afford or find one (how many people run out and buy a CODE8-OD ?). SO, some rare stuff will be available from me as samples for all the Kontakt, ESX, Reason, sfz, etc. formats at some point. I used to do sounds for peeps for the Prophet stuff and later the MPC3000.

Anyway... I usually don't visit here since I tend to lurk on the more obscure forums for stuff like my Hartmann Neuron, or waiting on the CS80 template for the Arturia Origin KB, etc. ... had to stop myself buying a CS-80 on three occassions this year. Really hard to stop "GAS" ... trying to buy a house, and that is really the "core" reason for selling off 2/3 of my gear. No financial crises, or lack of "love" for circuits... just 3 rooms of gear, and only one room left to use it in :-)

And time... ugh. Time is the one thing I wish I could buy.

Pic attached of the new studio layout on the front wall, with the new desk/console. Much nicer, than what you saw in the YT video of the old setup. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
John Bowen Solaris-simmons-studio-jul12.jpg  
Old 17th July 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
he's done another one. this time direct feed, complete with bonus gound-loop fail

Again, for those who want to do better, please do so.

This was, as noted in the notes for the video (helps if you can read, folks), a quick and dirty limited time better than nothing effort. I didn't rig a multi-camera setup, or do any fancy editing, or anything scripted. This is just to be kind to the peeps who can't ever afford this or might be curious about to have SOMETHING to hear that's better than the crap trade show vids.

Love how peeps will label something a "fail" when they make no effort to do something themselves ;-)

I had a very limited time to do "something" before shipping it out to person who bought it, in my "not yet fully wired" studio revamp.

Doing a video at all for this is better than "silence" ... remember I don't work for the company, nor am I promoting the product in any way, nor are you paying me to do a commercial quality shoot on this. I'm just throwing this up to give you SOMETHING, since YOU don't have one, and likely never will.

Belittling people for posting something to contribute to the exchange of knowledge, when it's not 100% perfect ... sad you can't see beyond the flaws to pick out the good in something. Must be a sad life you live.

Oh well... now I remember why I don't hang out here. Trolls and cretins, and a few people with a soul.

See ya... wouldn't want to be ya. ;-)
Old 17th July 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Much better though.
I do appreciate people putting the effort in.
It bugs me that almost no affordable cameras have line in anymore..
Anyway, I still think it's a synth that seems to need hands on experience. I would love to try one out.
Thanks for that ... at least somebody appreciates me taking some time from my weekend. I make $100+ an hour, so doing this for free to spread some knowledge is a bit annoying that so many people are expecting a 100% perfect effort ... under the circumstances, it was "this or nothing..." and I chose to do "something" vs "nothing at all." ... I'd have liked to see the displays, or the close up of the joystick in action, or the walk through of building up a patch ... but it's not my company. Ask Bowen for that!

I had a couple of hours free to do these, and that's all I had time to do, and yes not perfect, but better than dead silence with no sound at all, right?

Glass is half full in my world, sorry so many others don't share that.

If I were shopping for one of these right now I would find this valuable info, since you cannot go and play one in person prior to purchase except "maybe" at the next NAMM show.

These videos provide some MORE info from what was out there.
So, thanks for the appreciation ;-)

Oh well.. nothing more for me here, just signing off on the topic.

Yes, the SOLARIS does beg to be "touched" to enjoy, much like the Hartman Neuron, or other things. If you can play, you can coax amazing stuff from it, but if all some folks care about is the "world's most perfect sandwich" they will likely never find that in anything - it doesn't exist.

My approach was to go out and buy the 35 most desirable synths... and I have them. The one with the most gear wins ;-)
Old 17th July 2012
Here for the gear

Hi, okay.... (my bad) ... I didn't actually listen to the video very closely during work the other day while exporting that second video. I'm doing this on a PC vs my Mac for some arcane reasons I won't bore you with, and with the portable A/C and a fan on in here I didn't even hear the hum/noise from the damn Nikon DSLR.

I am 're-rendering' the second video with some noise reduction based on the snapshot of the noise floor, and some 60hz ground loop reduction by about 30db, so it should help immensely.

Sadly I ddn't have time to setup proper shoot with multiple cameras, timecode, and actual view of the panel, or do overlay showing which patches being played.. or any of the sexy stuff that Bowen should do when he gets the first 100 out the door this year.

SO... apologies to anyone whose ears exploded from the hum on the second one. I had everything plugged into the Furman *except* the stupid camera (doh) ... it was sunday and had no brain cells left. So, look for a third video (ugh)... but basically the "B" version of the second video, with better sound.

If I cared at this point I'd go into izotope and "fix" that completely with the spectral noise removal, but no time, and only the trolls really care anyway.

Look on YouTube tonight or tomorrow if you care.

Old 17th July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by simchris View Post
Again, for those who want to do better, please do so.
give me a solaris and i'll happily scroll through some presets for ya.

p.s. apologies for the insulting words. its all in jest. I've got no problems with your videos. I will say however that noise reduction processing after the fact kind of misses the point of an audio demo. you would do better just to record it again, but this time use batteries and unplug the power lead from the camcorder (or laptop) to avoid the dreaded hum.
Old 17th July 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
give me a solaris and i'll happily scroll through some presets for ya.

p.s. apologies for the insulting words. its all in jest. I've got no problems with your videos. I will say however that noise reduction processing after the fact kind of misses the point of an audio demo. you would do better just to record it again, but this time use batteries and unplug the power lead from the camcorder (or laptop) to avoid the dreaded hum.

Yeah. Sadly I had used up the battery the prior video and not realized how big a drain shooting video on the Nikon was ... again, sadly, I had an hour Sat. and an hour Sunday, and "that's it." So ... that's all she wrote.

Since I no longer own the Solaris ... no way to shoot "proper" video; these came about as a ... hey, why don't I take that brand new Nikon I bought and just throw on a t ripod and shoot something, and if doesn't entirely suck, post it. So, maybe these rate a 4 out of 10, but it's not like they are minus 10. Maybe we should have 'failicons' like the smileicons, but for "fails" ... yeah, that's the ticket! (Seriously, though... give this new version a listen... much better.... !)

Luckily, with modern software, removing the 60 cycle hum, is a common issue and notch filters are very good at that (I normally have used the Waves module or Izotope Ozone, or the new one... um... duh... brain lock....), but anyway... noise reduction based on a 'snapshot' of the noise floor is also very easy nowadays. Anybody who has to remaster off old cassettes from the 80s (I have done it!), knows about these tricks.

But ... yes... my two videos won't win any awards, but I could have just boxed the thing to ship off (it's gone, sold, no longer own one...), but instead threw a couple of things together and just did "something" for all the peeps on the Bowen forum lamenting any decent videos for this thing. Admittedly, it was half-assed ... because, well, it was. :-)

In any case, here is the updated video... "2b" with the title loudly proclaiming the hum has been reduced. Funny, you can hear the filter where it listens for the noise floor, takes a second to kick in then the hiss is gone (um, how do we still have hiss on a digital recording? Yes, I know it's not tape hiss ... just sayin...). Didn't help to have a crappy iPod converter cable on hand and nothing else to properly plug into the camera.

This wasn't well planned, because it wasn't planned at all.

Anyway... try this if your ears dare to witness the torment!!!!

John Bowen SOLARIS Demo 2B (HUM REDUCED) - HQ Audio - by Christopher Simmons - YouTube

Last edited by simchris; 17th July 2012 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: forgot fancy link to video... new here (yes, color me dumbass this week)
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simchris View Post
The new setup is based around composing,
That looks really tight yo.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Does anybody know if / when production will restart for the Solaris? Back in Feb of this year, JB had stated April / May timeframe for pre-orders placed then, now it's looking like no deliveries until December. By my analysis of posts on the Solaris forum, there haven't been any deliveries for several months (last s/n posted on the "announce when you receive" thread is 0039). Is this thing falling into the realm of vaporware?
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckardTrinity View Post
..Is this thing falling into the realm of vaporware?
Vaporware is something that never actually got produced, so vaporware it is not.

I'm also confident that Bowen will deliver.

However, whether demand justifies further production in any significant number, I have no idea.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

Latest update as of a week ago has production resuming in mid-late October once a big order of SHARC DSPs arrives with the expectation of producing up to ~70 units by Christmas, depending on exactly when production gets going again.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
I'm also confident that Bowen will deliver.
However, whether demand justifies further production in any significant number, I have no idea.
My understanding is the Bowen has sold out the first and second set of preorders, and is now excepting orders for the third set. Production was halted early this year due various issues (VAT licenses, vacation schedules, etc.), but is scheduled to restart in October and continue through to xmas.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

Apparently when looking through my old emails its up to unit 44.

"Hi Darren,

Your customer number is 00069. There are 25 persons ahead of you in the list!

Soon!!!"

I have never looked forward to Xmas so much before!
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Maniac

I think I'm 75 or 79 so I'm hopeful I will get mine before christmas :D quite possible it wont arrive to feb though.
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

The email I got from John last week said I could expect to receive my Solaris before Christmas.
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Solaris just landed in my studio 2 days ago .. so Ill give you guys some report on it in few days
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator View Post
Solaris just landed in my studio 2 days ago .. so Ill give you guys some report on it in few days
looking forward to it
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You surprise me Roginator - I thought if a synth has only digital elements in it it won't enter your studio, times are changing ! heh
Tell me your opinion as well, I'm curious !
Cheers
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isham View Post
You surprise me Roginator - I thought if a synth has only digital elements in it it won't enter your studio, times are changing ! heh
Tell me your opinion as well, I'm curious !
Cheers
you thought wrong

last year i had Virus TI and still have V synth
and before that I had … Microwave II, NL2, JP 8000, JP 8080, MS 2000, Motif,

yeah sold all of em long time ago so now from that new VA i have V synth XT and solaris !!

and some older rompers .. that still to my ears sound better than all VA on this planet

I will report about solaris soon…
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Can't believe nobody made a "Solaris vs Modulus002" thread already. GS, i'm disappoint.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX View Post
Can't believe nobody made a "Solaris vs Modulus002" thread already. GS, i'm disappoint.
Think it's because the Modulus002 is designed to be more like a Prophet 12 that sounds good.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
you thought wrong

last year i had Virus TI and still have V synth
and before that I had … Microwave II, NL2, JP 8000, JP 8080, MS 2000, Motif,

yeah sold all of em long time ago so now from that new VA i have V synth XT and solaris !!

and some older rompers .. that still to my ears sound better than all VA on this planet

I will report about solaris soon…
A week ago you were gonna report on this thing and now you're selling it? What's your take.
Old 7th August 2014
I think he's sold everything digital except the Solaris and V-Synth XT.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfellow View Post
A week ago you were gonna report on this thing and now you're selling it? What's your take.
well .. I like sound of solaris and its programming beast .. BUT!!!!

OS is not finished.. it freeze like twice a day ( or more if you work a lot on programming) .. have a bunch of things that still need upgrades in OS … so I'm kinda not sure do I want that ..

Ill give it one more chance .. but if in like few months i don't see upgrade of OS it will fly out of my studio !!!!

thing is .. ITS BEST VA I ever touched !!! … FATTEST VA ON PLANET !!!!
but for that amount of cash .. at least OS should work PERFECT!!

:(

now i pray to synth gods every night to see news OS soon as possible !!!!

…. hope that explains why I wanted to sell it!!
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
I think he's sold everything digital except the Solaris and V-Synth XT.
Just sold V synth too …. to mr. Don Solaris
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
OS is not finished.. it freeze like twice a day ( or more if you work a lot on programming) .. have a bunch of things that still need upgrades in OS … so I'm kinda not sure do I want that ..
Have you reported the issues you're experiencing to John Bowen? I'm wondering if other users have encountered the same freezes because I haven't seen any other such reports. Is it possible that it's a faulty unit?

Apart from the stability issues, what are the things that you would want to see updated? What is "unfinished" about the OS?

I would be really be interested to hear more details. Thanks.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLoudForest View Post
Have you reported the issues you're experiencing to John Bowen? I'm wondering if other users have encountered the same freezes because I haven't seen any other such reports. Is it possible that it's a faulty unit?

Apart from the stability issues, what are the things that you would want to see updated? What is "unfinished" about the OS?

I would be really be interested to hear more details. Thanks.
well .. Mr. Bowen knowa about problem … I found on Solaris forum, ( owners hidden part … that other ppl also have freezing problems too … )

but in general there are some annoying bugs that can hurt speakers, also some parts of OS are still not finished .. LIKE wave oscillators, some simple things don't work .. and if you get deep into device .. YES OS needs upgrades ASAP !

Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
well .. Mr. Bowen knowa about problem … I found on Solaris forum, ( owners hidden part … that other ppl also have freezing problems too … )

but in general there are some annoying bugs that can hurt speakers, also some parts of OS are still not finished .. LIKE wave oscillators, some simple things don't work .. and if you get deep into device .. YES OS needs upgrades ASAP !

Okay, thanks. As a prospective owner I'm also hoping that these issues get resolved soon. My impression is that John has generally been really good at customer service, but I guess we'll see if the OS is updated with fixes in a reasonable timeframe or not. It seems weird that these problems haven't been dealt with in the last couple of years if they're as apparent as you've indicated....
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

How can something be sold for over $3k and not work?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search