The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
John Bowen Solaris Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra View Post
Jordan Rudess and his sponsor, Starbucks, are in negotiations with JB for exclusive demoing rights.

Oh yeah I forgot he checked it out! If he does demo it, great! But so far, just looking... He'd better stand back with that liquid caffeine though!
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Anyway, the point is for 4k there should be much nicer demos online. HD quality. Make it real pro. 4k for f*** sakes!
I suspect there will be high quality demos when it's time to market the thing. It's only just now in production (the last week or so) and the entire first production run is sold (and has been for quite some time) so there's nothing to market yet. Presumably he'll have plenty of audio and video samples available by the time the synth is actually available to buy. Not much point in putting money into marketing a synth that isn't available.
Old 8th April 2011
Is it bitimbral/multitimbral?
Old 8th April 2011
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminallysmooth View Post
Is it bitimbral/multitimbral?
Monotimbral for now, and 15 voices.
Old 8th April 2011
that's pretty rough for a $4000 VA
Old 8th April 2011
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminallysmooth View Post
that's pretty rough for a $4000 VA
I agree.
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

It's monotimbral both because that's where the current focus of development was put (to complete as many features as they could *besides* multitimbraility) and because it shows the focus of most of the preorder customers. While many expressed an interest in multitimbrality, most are looking at it as a performance instrument not something to sit in a rack and provide 8-16 backing tracks.

One side benefit of this is that many other synths use 'tricks' to keep voicecounts high, like lowering control rate signals and internal calculations when voices starting using up dsp. The Solaris does NOT. Eventually it may gain 4 part multitimbrality but if this is a concern, or the cost is a concern, then certainly you might have a different product in mind than Solaris.

The Solaris runs at 96khz internally for *everything* including almost all control signals. This means that LFO's run at audiorate and use dsp just like the main oscillators do. So the choice to keep it monitimbral right now reflects the fact that there aren't many (if any) compromises made in its voicing. On top of this it's common for many other VA's don't even run close to full audiorate for their control signals to begin with (when voicecounts are low), it's typical to run at at least 1/4 if not 1/10th-1/16th the audiorate for a control signal.

For the sake of disclosure I am waiting on a Solaris myself, and I help John with his website (I host him) and a few other IT related things and have the opportunity to chat with him periodically on the phone about the decisions he's made so hopefully this info helps.
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

Demo's aren't everything!
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
It's monotimbral both because that's where the current focus of development was put (to complete as many features as they could *besides* multitimbraility) and because it shows the focus of most of the preorder customers. While many expressed an interest in multitimbrality, most are looking at it as a performance instrument not something to sit in a rack and provide 8-16 backing tracks.
I agree that most preorder customers didn't rate multitimbral features very highly when he sent out requests about what features were most important, but I disagree that it was because it was considered a performance instrument. For some I'm sure it will be, and I'm sure it would be fine for that, but myself and I suspect a number of others don't care about multitimbral support in 1.0 because we have tons of other synths and don't need it to generate every sound in a song. I don't need my ARP 2600 to be multitimbral either. I want a great sound design synth and if I need more than one sound I can record it one track at a time in my DAW.
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

I dunno most people would want to hit a chord and do a lead, and some FX

for the price , it's the least they could have done, so meh
It's digital after all
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
The Solaris runs at 96khz internally for *everything* including almost all control signals.
One of the reasons I want to demo one.
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matocaster View Post
Oh yeah I forgot he checked it out! If he does demo it, great! But so far, just looking... He'd better stand back with that liquid caffeine though!
Nooooo!!! Not another Rudess demo!!! He is totally uninspiring for sound synthesis...He only shows off his skills and typical synth tricks...He is good for electric organs and pianos but not for synthesizers IMO. His playing style ruins everything by presenting modern keyboard instruments like this, as parts of progressive rock era...only.
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
Nooooo!!! Not another Rudess demo!!! He is totally uninspiring for sound synthesis...He only shows off his skills and typical synth tricks...He is good for electric organs and pianos but not for synthesizers IMO. His playing style ruins everything by presenting modern keyboard instruments like this, as parts of progressive rock era...only.
Yeah, he's like 100 notes, 1 patch.
Then you have Richard Devine on the other end, 100 patches, 1 note, 10 seconds.

Somewhere in the middle is me, 1 note, 1 patch. Beep beep beep beep
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSooner View Post
I agree that most preorder customers didn't rate multitimbral features very highly when he sent out requests about what features were most important, but I disagree that it was because it was considered a performance instrument. For some I'm sure it will be, and I'm sure it would be fine for that, but myself and I suspect a number of others don't care about multitimbral support in 1.0 because we have tons of other synths and don't need it to generate every sound in a song. I don't need my ARP 2600 to be multitimbral either. I want a great sound design synth and if I need more than one sound I can record it one track at a time in my DAW.
Well those are my words not his, but I didn't mean performance as in 'stage'. But rather as an instrument that will be used for what it does, rather than as a one stop shop for all their sounds, which is pretty much what yuo're saying too.

Also if I recall correctly, JB said about those who need maybe a bass on the lower octaves and a pad or lead on the right for on-hand access at once-- you can do that just by routing the 4 sources based on they're key-mapped or etc. So those who will want to play more than 1 sound at a time from it are still accommodated somewhat, but it's not a major strength for it right now.
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

"If I play a patch on my cool new synth for more than 300 ms before moving on to the next patch, people might get bored or think I'm an egomaniac..."

John, you're killing me! Just let your beautiful creation sing for a minute or so at time so we can hear what it has to say, please!
Old 15th April 2011
Lives for gear

John Bowen Solaris. I want to like it, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer

Yeah, he's like 100 notes, 1 patch.
Then you have Richard Devine on the other end, 100 patches, 1 note, 10 seconds.

Somewhere in the middle is me, 1 note, 1 patch. Beep beep beep beep
LOL
Old 15th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra View Post
Jordan Rudess and his sponsor, Starbucks, are in negotiations with JB for exclusive demoing rights.

Getting JR to demo your synth would only prove that the instrument is capable of playing 16.000.000 notes per minute. /care
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthdood View Post
Getting JR to demo your synth would only prove that the instrument is capable of playing 16.000.000 notes per minute. /care
Well since the Solaris has not yet been released, there haven't been any official demos done by anyone. The picture just shows John giving Rudess an overview of the Solaris. If John asks someone with a high profile to demo this synth when it's on the market then great! Believe me, there will be plenty popping up all over once the preorders start shipping!
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Nut

YouTube - JOHN BOWEN SOLARIS video demo [Musikmesse 2011]

You can layer different sounds as seen in this video at 5:36.
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can layer different sounds as seen in this video at 5:36.
It's not multitimbral and won't be for a while. What you're hearing is the fact that there are 4 different sound sources (oscillators, samples, etc.) and they can be completely different. You can have two VA oscillators and two samples and layer them together, etc. Not that I'm telling you anything you don't already know. But for those that don't....

You're absolutely correct that you can layer different sounds, but it's not the same as being multitimbral. Eventually it's supposed to have a software upgrade to allow it to be multitimbral but I'm a believer in only expecting what's actually available in an instrument, not what could be there in the future.
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSooner View Post
You're absolutely correct that you can layer different sounds, but it's not the same as being multitimbral. Eventually it's supposed to have a software upgrade to allow it to be multitimbral but I'm a believer in only expecting what's actually available in an instrument, not what could be there in the future.
thumbsup I wonder how many of us in the NW have preorders. There seems to be quite a few of us.
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
thumbsup I wonder how many of us in the NW have preorders. There seems to be quite a few of us.
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthdood View Post
... and that JR is going to figure out how to make it sound like a lead guitar.
Old 16th April 2011
Here for the gear

I think JR did extremely well in his Moog LP and VP550 demos.
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

So, what is the release date for this synth now?

-andrews
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
So, what is the release date for this synth now?

-andrews
John Bowen Synth Design • View topic - Remaining first production pre-ordering
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

Really? Wow, thanks... 6 weeks until the release after all these years! thumbsup

I'm so looking forward to really tyring this synth myself and hearing from actual users (not counting the lucky few who have had the chance to try it a little bit)! Very cool.

-andrews
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Maniac

I want to like it too, but at 4K it's not really in many peoples price range. This is coming from a guy who has his money ready for a tempest on release day too. For that much you could get a nord wave a moog little phatty and still pay the rent. If money is not an option, I still am not overly impressed. Too big and clunky, I think elegant intuitive and creative designs like the OP-1 are the new wave.
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by linndrum9000 View Post
I want to like it too, but at 4K it's not really in many peoples price range. This is coming from a guy who has his money ready for a tempest on release day too. For that much you could get a nord wave a moog little phatty and still pay the rent. If money is not an option, I still am not overly impressed. Too big and clunky, I think elegant intuitive and creative designs like the OP-1 are the new wave.
If it suits you. Some of us like big and clunky Actiually it's not as big as it looks. It is very intuitive. The user interface is the most friendly I've seen on a digital synth. Nords are too whiny for my use. There's too many reasons to mention why I'd take Solaris over a Nord Wave and a Moog Little Phatty. There are at least 1200 parameters in this thing. Endless routing possibilities. Every knob has a function. You can use Waldorf wavetables for wave sequencing one minute and then create an entirely new sound using a Rotor, which isn't available in anything else. You can also load your own samples and mangle them to your hearts desire. What's not to love? If I had to pay the retail price, I suppose I'd be a bit skeptical also. Luckily, I had the good fortune(well I actually sold other gear) and sense to get in early!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search