The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
John Bowen Solaris Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th April 2010
Mr Arkadin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorfuture View Post
I've had a Sonic Core Xite-1
Oh, did you get rid of it - I thought you liked it?
Old 7th June 2010
Deleted 46dc28f
Well, it's June. Have any of you first production run Solaris pre-order customers received any word on a ship date?
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

Back in April I predicted end of year 2010 and I stick by it. Supposedly the earliest production can take place is late July. Delivery to the US at best is late August (my guess) and more likely some time in the fall at best.

I'd love to be proven wrong because I do want the Solaris to ship and be successful sooner rather than later.
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

Yep, last update was that production would begin around the last week of July. Not sure how long the production run will take, or how long it will take to ship the units.
Old 7th June 2010
Gear Maniac

christmas present, maybe?
Old 7th June 2010
A few days ago while reading some specs I noticed that the first units released will not be multitimbral. Maybe some OS update will fix that later. At that price and being digital, I'll pass until at least then. ymmv.

And then there's still the open question in mind if this thing is really going to sound worth that cash. I haven't heard anything yet that convinced me, and I've looked at most if not all of the recent demos.

I want to like this synth though, so I'm still lurking around, still waiting...
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgit View Post
christmas present, maybe?
Which year?

Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

Alright...

Messe 11 thoughts?

Is this thing becoming a reality?

I find myself wanting a keyboard at some point this year.
The Schmidt is out of the question... and I like some wavetable
stuff regardless. Doesn't need to be "vintage analog" sounding.

Circling perhaps Solaris, Q Phoenix, Kronos, Virus Ti, Accelerator...
in that order. Only 1 though, and it's doubtful that any retailer
in my area will have anything but the Kronos on the floor for
playing.

So I have to decide from online demos, specs, and user opinion.
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
What... videos of a not fully finished unit?

They put out the damn video to the public, they open themselves for critique. What? Dude can't have an opinion?
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
They put out the damn video to the public, they open themselves for critique. What? Dude can't have an opinion?
This is an old thread... maybe I should start a new one?
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

I'd love to try one out. He said it was being produced in Germany and will be in shops here. When it is, I'll give it a go.
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Alright...

Messe 11 thoughts?

Is this thing becoming a reality?
Bowen has 4 final production units at Musikmesse so the production is finally underway. I think his estimate was that the second batch of Solarises (non-preorder) would likely begin in the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
I find myself wanting a keyboard at some point this year. The Schmidt is out of the question... and I like some wavetable stuff regardless. Doesn't need to be "vintage analog" sounding.

Circling perhaps Solaris, Q Phoenix, Kronos, Virus Ti, Accelerator... in that order. Only 1 though, and it's doubtful that any retailer in my area will have anything but the Kronos on the floor for playing.

So I have to decide from online demos, specs, and user opinion.
I imagine in the next few months there will plenty of demos of both the Solaris and Kronos coming out. I know a number of people on this forum are getting one or the other.

I have the Solaris preordered and I already have a TI Desktop. The Q Phoenix sounds good from the demos I've heard, and some people here have it so hopefully they'll chime in. I'm not personally interested in the Kronos since I already have two VAs and a ROMpler and I have the Korg plugins on my computer, but it looks great for someone that wants a ROMpler + VA all wrapped up in one tidy package.

Once I get my Solaris I can compare it with the TI, but not the others you mentioned.
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Nut

Not rich round here, though I'm sure there are a few Solaris preorder customers who might be. I actually sold other gear to pay for my preorder.

I do know what the Solaris is capable of because I'm lucky enough to live in the same city as JB and got to sit in front of one for a few hours!

John Bowen is one man. Not some huge corporate conglomerate like Roland, Yamaha or even Moog for that matter! The preorder customers helped to fund the production. Knowing his past reputation why wouldn't I have faith it's going to sound awesome? Guess what? It does

Sonic State - News (Video Item) MESSE11: John Bowen Slolaris In Production, There's three of them right here
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matocaster View Post
Not rich round here, though I'm sure there are a few Solaris preorder customers who might be. I actually sold other gear to pay for my preorder.

I do know what the Solaris is capable of because I'm lucky enough to live in the same city as JB and got to sit in front of one for a few hours!

John Bowen is one man. Not some huge corporate conglomerate like Roland, Yamaha or even Moog for that matter! The preorder customers helped to fund the production. Knowing his past reputation why wouldn't I have faith it's going to sound awesome? Guess what? It does

Sonic State - News (Video Item) MESSE11: John Bowen Slolaris In Production, There's three of them right here
Couldn't have said it better myself! heh

The Solaris really sounds fantastic in person - more organic-sounding than any other digital synth I've ever played.
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Slow-laris!

Probably sounds good with some delay on it.

Thanks, I'll be here all week.
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSooner View Post
Once I get my Solaris I can compare it with the TI, but not the others you mentioned.
Awesome! Thanks.

I've been doing even more research... and I trust the Carbon111 too.

This thing is looking mighty fine. Those Rotor oscillators...

and the layout and editing already appear intuitive to me, even advanced
options are right there, not 3-4 levels deep.

It'll probably come down between this and TI, not depending on features
or sound... more on available resources when the time arrives, which is
still months away.
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds pretty good, for a camera mic, but it could be enhancing it
Although it sounds like a direct feed
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
Meh. JD800 did it better, in 1994.

It looks cool, and I like some of its features, but its far far to sterile for me. I guess if your a plugin dude its cool. Wouldnt integrate well around here though. Prolly the most expensive VA ever to.

alexP
I paid 3.5k for an expanded Korg Z-1 when it came out.
All other va were 2.5 ++ or there abouts
4 k is nothing and I'm far from wealthy

Misinformed opinions such as "rich hobbiest market" "plugin dude" >>>>lol

Who doesnt want to see a great new fantastic sounding instrument?

dfegadIdiots of course
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Solaris presentation
I think this is from last year.
I'll try it out when it's ready. Looks interesting enough to me.
Old 8th April 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Anyway, the point is for 4k there should be much nicer demos online. HD quality. Make it real pro. 4k for f*** sakes
Easy solution for you, don't buy one.
Surely tearing down a boutique outfit providing a unique offering that is not yet even available to the general public with an argument as well crafted as this deserves attention. tutt
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Well since John largely makes his own videos, I guess his HD video skills have direct bearing on how well the synth will perform eh?
Old 8th April 2011
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Well since John largely makes his own videos, I guess his HD video skills have direct bearing on how well the synth will perform eh?
Lets hope not. heh
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

i was just checking out a youtube demo yesterday and liked what i heard.
the talking patch was pretty sweet. 4k seems like a fair price for a synth like this. i cant wait to try one!
mini
Old 8th April 2011
Deleted 46dc28f
I wish John would condense it to the size of something like the Origin desktop. It's too much keyboard for me.
Old 8th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF_ View Post
Easy solution for you, don't buy one.
Surely tearing down a boutique outfit providing a unique offering that is not yet even available to the general public with an argument as well crafted as this deserves attention. tutt
your solution for lack of effective advertising is for people to not buy the product? thats a kind of pointless marketing strategy aint it?
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Oh no.Internet.
Arg.
ARG.
Must not Comment.
Old 8th April 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminallysmooth View Post
your solution for lack of effective advertising is for people to not buy the product? thats a kind of pointless marketing strategy aint it?
I don't offer solutions, I'm just here to tear people down.
It just seems like a lot of people have opinions of what an instrument of this budget and caliber should be, yet for some reason not that many that are making them. Is there really a lack of effective advertising? It seems that those who understand John's vision are perfectly happy with how John is handling things. If your primary complaints of a boutique instrument are the cost and the lack of High Definition Video before an instrument is even available, I'm thinking you might not be part of the buying population anyways.
Not being part of or affiliated with John Bowen Synth Design, I don't know how my comment could be viewed as a marketing strategy.
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

And you can just listen to a few demos which ofcourse do not represent the hardware solaris but the overall quality of his work.
Zarg Music - Synthesizers created by John Bowen
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Nut

The big companies(you know who they are) shove the same thing in our faces every 3 years or so. There's usually very little improvement over the previous model except for a couple features or new color scheme.
So I'm very happy to support the little guy who's trying to create something that separates him from the herd. So it took a little longer to get to the people, it's only improved since it was introduced. Although it may not have Jordan Rudess or _______ (insert whomever you wish) demoing it and giving his seal of approval, Solaris will be one of the most sought after new synths once it gets into the hands of of the users who preordered them
There have actually been quite a few well known synth users who've expressed excitement about the Solaris like Hans Zimmer, Larry Fast and Brian Kehew just to name a few.

I hope these posts can remain positive. We are all here because we love our gear.
Old 8th April 2011
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matocaster View Post
Although it may not have Jordan Rudess or _______ (insert whomever you wish) demoing it and giving his seal of approval
Jordan Rudess and his sponsor, Starbucks, are in negotiations with JB for exclusive demoing rights.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search