The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
John Bowen Solaris Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th April 2010
Mr Arkadin
Quote:
Originally Posted by T71 View Post
I just re-read the entire thread, you are the only one who mentioned anything about filters being crap.
Quote:
The formant filter is just meh, IMO.
Maybe you have a new definition of 'meh' that I'm not aware of.
Old 4th April 2010
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
Maybe you have a new definition of 'meh' that I'm not aware of.
Meh implies indifference. Fortunately I would have several other filter types to choose from.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
Of course none of them have. So T71, you have tried the formant filter on the Solaris in person?

This thread is just uninformed hate for what reason I don't know - maybe because you can't afford it? Get over yourselves.

Cant afford it? Have you seen my studio? Grow up fuuck

alexP
Old 4th April 2010
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post

Zero objection to the synth (how could I?), I only object to the fierce posturing on either end of the spectrum for something few really know ANYTHING about.
Oh yeah? Well I think the pads in this video sound GREAT!

heh
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
After all, 100 people have already paid JB for a Solaris based purely on speculation, low quality demos, and specs.
I suspect a number of the early adopters are also basing their purchase on JB's stature and proven track record. Whether that's a good idea or not I don't know, but there's a bit more there than just specs and demos.
Old 4th April 2010
Mr Arkadin
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
Cant afford it? Have you seen my studio? Grow up fuuck
alexP
Wow, so you're rich and can collect gear. Cool, you must be right then, John Bowen really doesn't know anything about synthesis.
Old 4th April 2010
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
I suspect a number of the early adopters are also basing their purchase on JB's stature and proven track record.
There is also that.

Like I've said previously, from the email correspondence I've had with JB, he seems like a great guy and gives the impression of the type of person/company you want to buy a synth from. Not to mention I absolutely love the Korg Wavestation.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
I suspect a number of the early adopters are also basing their purchase on JB's stature and proven track record. Whether that's a good idea or not I don't know, but there's a bit more there than just specs and demos.
Or you think that it's a low risk investment - if you get it early, there's probably enough folks out there ready to buy and don't want to wait for the next wave, or the next next wave and would buy it for you at face value or higher.

My view (without having played it) is that I believe it is going to fulfill the duties that I had previously used an Xpander/Matrix 12/A6 for - the long, complex, evolving sounds that can be tweaked to death with modulations. If it doesn't work out for that, I have no qualms about finding sommeone else that will be using it more than I would, so it's essentially a no risk investment - I either love it and keep it, or it goes to someone else eager to give it a try. That's the reality for any of the 'extremely hard to find' synths, be they new like the Solaris, or old like a Harmonic Synthesizer, PPG 360, Moog modular, etc.

You don't really know if you're going to get along with a synth until you use it in your studio with your other gear.
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Addict

True. When I get mine I'll spend a bit of time with it and see if we gel. If not, someone will pick it up.
Personally, my decision was based on price/performance/risk in that order.
The long wait is almost over and I'm glad I stuck around.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

So, how long until the first folks will actually have them?

And then how long until the next round is ACTUALLY available?

I'm betting that some frustration here is based on the waiting... I'll admit that's me heh

Problem is, when people wait this long, this sort of idle speculation turns to bickering, mostly out of nothing better to do.

-Andrews
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matocaster View Post
Wow! a lot of folks are missing the point of Solaris. It's amazing that people can tell us what it's supposed to be and never laid a hand on it. A few videos that show the functionality of a synth that's not even in production yet and it's being dismissed as too sterile. That's fine, because I'll have mine this summer and make sterile eighties music

It's not going to be all things to all synth heads.
I hate 80s music, and btw i guess that by following your logic, the synth is great by saying it rulez by also not laying a hand on it and watching some videos, cuz i guess thats what in the end you did..
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
I hate 80s music, and btw i guess that by following your logic, the synth is great by saying it rulez by also not laying a hand on it and watching some videos, cuz i guess thats what in the end you did..
If you'd actually read this topic, you would've also read where I said that John Bowen brought Solaris to my studio for a personal hands on session. So instead of making misinformed statements, read the through the thread or keep your comments to yourself!
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
So, how long until the first folks will actually have them?
May/June probably. The forum on the Solaris site will always have the latest info.

Quote:
Problem is, when people wait this long, this sort of idle speculation turns to bickering, mostly out of nothing better to do.
The contentious nature of the discussion is interesting to be sure but probably says more about human nature than the synth. heh

FWIW, its an absolutely lovely-sounding synth with an insanely flexible signal path. There isn't anything else out there even remotely like it. Extremely organic. For sound design, it's a dream-come-true. The demos so far have been intentionally very simple so as to demonstrate a particular sound component or synthesis aspect (osc, filter, etc...).

I intend to do some more complex demos the next time I get my hands on it that I'll gladly share with the group.

Its still early days yet and I imagine many naysayers will have a different opinion after hearing a production Solaris or laying their hands on one.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon111 View Post
May/June probably. The forum on the Solaris site will always have the latest info.

The contentious nature of the discussion is interesting to be sure but probably says more about human nature than the synth. heh

FWIW, its an absolutely lovely-sounding synth with an insanely flexible signal path. There isn't anything else out there even remotely like it. Extremely organic. For sound design, it's a dream-come-true. The demos so far have been intentionally very simple so as to demonstrate a particular sound component or synthesis aspect (osc, filter, etc...).

I intend to do some more complex demos the next time I get my hands on it that I'll gladly share with the group.

Its still early days yet and I imagine many naysayers will have a different opinion after hearing a production Solaris or laying their hands on one.

This may seem like an odd question... but does this synth get into the Hartmann Neuron territory?

Thanks

-Andrews
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well i dont know, but from the music being played in the videos, it just sounds too 80s for me, and i think that there are better "80s" synths out there...
Just so we're clear, how does, say, a 1984 saw wave differ from a 2005 saw wave?
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th Monkey View Post
Just so we're clear, how does, say, a 1984 saw wave differ from a 2005 saw wave?
LOL, well not in any way, but the remaining design may change, however i meant that the sounds they were featuring in the video were 80s sounds.. thats all
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matocaster View Post
If you'd actually read this topic, you would've also read where I said that John Bowen brought Solaris to my studio for a personal hands on session. So instead of making misinformed statements, read the through the thread or keep your comments to yourself!
OOppps i will definetely will
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
LOL, well not in any way, but the remaining design may change, however i meant that the sounds they were featuring in the video were 80s sounds.. thats all
Surely that is down to the player not the synth

I think it looks good thumbsup
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
This may seem like an odd question... but does this synth get into the Hartmann Neuron territory?

Thanks

-Andrews
Well, it doesn't have resynthesis of samples as one of its synthesis types, though you can use samples as an oscillator type to get some weirdly "acoustic" sounds.

Using the rotors at audio rates can get you some of the same kind of organically "gritty" sounds I've heard from the Neuron, especially if swept wavetables and samples are used as rotor inputs, but it's a different kind of thing, really.

To my mind, the beauty of the Solaris lies in the myriad synthesis components included, the ergonomic UI that keeps access to those components shallow and the ability to order said components in any way you want. Routing can be parallel, linear, combinations of the two, and you have the ability to feed back paths into earlier parts of the signal chain. The main thing though, despite the flexibility, is the lush audio quality of the Solaris's output is never compromised.

Last edited by carbon111; 4th April 2010 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: bleary sunday morning
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:

To my mind, the beauty of the Solaris lies in the myriad synthesis components included, the ergonomic UI that keeps access to those components shallow and the ability to order said components in any way you want including parallel, linear, combinations of the two as well as feeding back sounds into earlier parts of the signal chain. Above all, the lush audio quality of the Solaris's output is never compromised.

Perfect description This is the reason I jumped on board straight away!
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Having judged from only one video (probably the least interesting one, fx-unit), I just can't stop thinking about my SY99. It was the display operation that gave it away.

SY99 is a fantastic ultragreat synth that sounds incredible but, I think maybe 1% of the people on this forum could (and would) program it (well). And I'm not in that 1% myself, no
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, it doesn't do resampling as a synthesis
The Neuron doesn't do "resampling".
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
The Neuron doesn't do "resampling".
Pardon me, resynthesis.

Fixed my post.

...it's early yet and I haven't had my coffee. heh
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pardon me, resynthesis.

Fixed my post.

...it's early yet and I haven't had my coffee. heh
Cheers, that's better.

Enjoy the coffee!thumbsup
Old 4th April 2010
Deleted 46dc28f
Well, I slept on it and I think I'm gonna have to get a Solaris. Now I just need to decide if I should sell my Prophet '08 or my Tetra or both.
Old 4th April 2010
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Yes, please.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

I'll never be able to afford one, so i'm just gonna molest Carbon's whenever i'm over at his place =o]
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Addict

...if you must. heh
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Addict

I've had a Sonic Core Xite-1, and have listened to the synths possible with this platform (and SDK) and they are just amazing. Easily the best sounding digital synths I've heard (and I've tried a lot of them).

I believe the Solaris was written with the same SDK.

It also seems that John Bowen has borrowed and improved on certain algorithms he developed for other synths and put them in this thing.

Personally, I've not got a lot of synths already and am not likely to pick this thing up, but it does look very good indeed. I am positive it will sound great.

I'm puzzled by the UI - it looks pretty complicated and I'm not convinced that it's that great for live use (what if you bump a knob? does it have a 'lock' feature), nor does it appear better than a GUI for studio use. I'm not sure about the 5 textual displays personally.

Everyone does agree that he'd be better off if someone else demo'd the unit. He's too close to it to look at his academic demos. But that's not a reflection on the synth at all.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

till this day, Solaris is the best analogue emulation I ever hear. Love it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search