The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
John Bowen Solaris Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd April 2010
  #31
Deleted 46dc28f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
We hear ya but we don't understand why are you trying to convince your self (weird...) to buy or preorder anything (weird...really weird..) in the first place and why are you trying to make product marginally same with already available software version while in fact product is still in development...
"We"? Are you a think tank?
Old 3rd April 2010
  #32
Lives for gear
 
droolmaster0's Avatar
 

I don't feel obligated to come to a final opinion based on some demos, which (from the ones I've heard so far) seem focused on showing a narrow range of sounds.

Potentially, I could be interested down the road if indeed the thing has the kind of power that the nord g2 has, but is better sounding, and easy to program without a computer. I suspect that it sounds good, but sound quality is subject to taste, and I haven't really heard much in the way of specifics about the programming.

As another user posted, the price doesn't seem out of line for a high powered digital synth/keyboard, but that of course doesn't translate to it being easy to find $4,000 for what is in essence a va. The degree to which it goes beyond that, is easy/fun to program while doing so, and also has a powerful sequencer on board (I'm not sure, but I vaguely recall that it would only have basic sequencing), would influence me - but in general I prefer to work in the cv/gate realm anyway, so I won't be too disappointed if I decide that this isn't for me.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #33
Lives for gear
 
teamsterjim's Avatar
This synth was meant to get you out of your bedroom and onto a stage.
Attached Thumbnails
John Bowen Solaris-0705hens2.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2010
  #34
Deleted 46dc28f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCOrhubarb View Post
It invariably sounds digital. I love digital but not when it's trying to do analogue.
The market for non-emulative digital synthesis is there. I seems like manufacturers and developers just don't realize it so they go the VA route which they assume is a safe bet.

The Scope library has a granular synthesis module and JB has implied he might add a wave sequencing engine which would load user samples, but not until after the Solaris has been released. Those two things would make it a lot more interesting.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #35
Lives for gear
 

I shared a booth with John Bowen at the Musikmesse;

1) He's a super-nice guy and great to hang out with.

2) He's got a damn fine synth on his hands. The new vocal-formant widget (I assume it's a filter type but I forget exactly) is very fun; pick up to five vowels and sweep through them using any modulation source... envelopes being a natural, of course.. also the Solaris now sports the most enormous ribbon-controller I've ever seen.

anyway, it sounds very good and offers a LOT of options for sound design. I don't see any need to give it a hard time.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #36
Deleted 46dc28f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 View Post
Potentially, I could be interested down the road if indeed the thing has the kind of power that the nord g2 has, but is better sounding, and easy to program without a computer.
I agree. It would potentially make a great Nord G2 substitute but without the cold, bland sound character of the Lead 3 sound engine.

BTW, it might interest you to know I'm considering selling my Tetra and Prophet '08 to finance a Solaris. heh
Old 3rd April 2010
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Westlaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by T71 View Post
The market for non-emulative digital synthesis is there.
I agree, but I suspect that this market is closely tied to the market for real analog. Now that there are so many analog options out there, old and new, expensive and affordable, many hobbyist studios now include an analog synth or two, which frees up the digitals from having to perform "analog" duty. A good development, methinks.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #38
Lives for gear
 
teamsterjim's Avatar
Also worth noting is there is controllable seperate Oscillator Glide.
MemoryMoog and Oberheims come to mind.
It was a built in feature with no surface control but each Oscillator had a slightly different amount, especially on the Oberheims.
Solaris has this feature with adjustable controls and is stackable just like an Analog synth.
The Digital options are just as deep.
Ever mix the Wavetables from a Prophet VS w/ a Waldorf Wave..?
Solaris can do this and still have a CZ Res. Oscillator and SEM Saw for a nice slow attack pad bleeding through in the background.
The options of Modulations and Sources is staggering.
I real feel sorry for the poor bastard that has to draw the flow chart.........
Old 3rd April 2010
  #39
Lives for gear
 
alexp's Avatar
I didnt. I dont have to thumbsup



alexP
Old 3rd April 2010
  #40
Lives for gear
 
MonoBrow's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
I didnt. I dont have to thumbsup



alexP
You totally have to! And you know it.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #41
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T71 View Post
Uh, I would be pre-ordering the "next build".
Since that batch probably won't be shipping until the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2011, you might as well put down your deposit. Then, after batch #1 finally ships and maybe you get a chance to play someone's in person, you can determine if you want to hold your place in line or sell that spot to someone else.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #42
Mr Arkadin
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
I didnt. I dont have to thumbsup
If you're going to dismiss something as sterile you better be able to back it up. Obviously you have no idea. I know this is GS but do we have to h8te on eveything new?
Old 3rd April 2010
  #43
Lives for gear
 
alexp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
If you're going to dismiss something as sterile you better be able to back it up. Obviously you have no idea. I know this is GS but do we have to h8te on eveything new?

I do have quite an idea thanks. I dont know you are to feel I need to 'back up' anything to you. If you dont like my opinion move along.


alexP
Old 3rd April 2010
  #44
Lives for gear
 
dualflip's Avatar
 

Well i dont know, but from the music being played in the videos, it just sounds too 80s for me, and i think that there are better "80s" synths out there...
Old 3rd April 2010
  #45
Lives for gear
 
MonoBrow's Avatar
 

OK this is getting far to wiered to pass.This synth when finished.Will be a remarable instrument with features that arent there in any digital hardware synth available.I wonder why people try to judge it so hard without even trying it.The mentioned osc glide is just 1 awsome thing.Formant a e i o u filters?CMON!
Old 3rd April 2010
  #46
Deleted 46dc28f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
OK this is getting far to wiered to pass.This synth when finished.Will be a remarable instrument with features that arent there in any digital hardware synth available.I wonder why people try to judge it so hard without even trying it.The mentioned osc glide is just 1 awsome thing.Formant a e i o u filters?CMON!
The formant filter is just meh, IMO. But I have an FS1R so I'm biased.

Things like the sample playback feature which doesn't support multi-samples are what make me hesitate to drain my bank account for a Solaris. Even the lowly Blofeld can do this.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #47
Lives for gear
 
MonoBrow's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T71 View Post
The formant filter is just meh, IMO. But I have an FS1R so I'm biased.

Things like the sample playback feature which doesn't support multi-samples are what make me hesitate to drain my bank account. Even the lowly Blofeld can do this.
Meh? Have you really heard it?
Multi samples on a synth????
Please.This isnt a motif or anything.
Try one then decide to drop the cash.Internet boards are really no ground to test features or sound.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #48
Deleted 46dc28f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
Meh? Have you really heard it?
Yes, in the Messe 2010 videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
Multi samples on a synth????
Are you serious? Ever tried a Blofeld with the sample option?
Old 3rd April 2010
  #49
Mr Arkadin
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
Meh? Have you really heard it?
Of course none of them have. So T71, you have tried the formant filter on the Solaris in person?

This thread is just uninformed hate for what reason I don't know - maybe because you can't afford it? Get over yourselves.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #50
Deleted 46dc28f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
This thread is just uninformed hate for what reason I don't know - maybe because you can't afford it? Get over yourselves.
Hate? LOL. I'm contemplating selling synths to finance one. I could afford one today with the balance in my checking account, but that wouldn't leave left over cash for other planned gear. Why don't you get over yourself?
Old 3rd April 2010
  #51
Lives for gear
 
MonoBrow's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T71 View Post
Yes, in the Messe 2010 videos.



Are you serious? Ever tried a Blofeld with the sample option?
The videos are kinda low quality tho.I can only assume its the same vocal AE I O U filter then in the modular on scope which i know pretty well.

I have not tried the blofeld.Cant say anything about it.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #52
Lives for gear
 
MonoBrow's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T71 View Post
Hate? LOL. I'm contemplating selling synths to finance one. I could afford one today with the balance in my checking account, but that wouldn't leave left over cash for other planned gear.
Yeah dont do that.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #53
Mr Arkadin
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
I have not tried the blofeld.Cant say anything about it.
Sure you can, that's what everyone else around here does.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #54
Deleted 46dc28f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
I have not tried the blofeld.Cant say anything about it.
Like the Nord Wave, it supports multi-samples.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #55
Gear Nut
 
Matocaster's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Well i dont know, but from the music being played in the videos, it just sounds too 80s for me, and i think that there are better "80s" synths out there...
Wow! a lot of folks are missing the point of Solaris. It's amazing that people can tell us what it's supposed to be and never laid a hand on it. A few videos that show the functionality of a synth that's not even in production yet and it's being dismissed as too sterile. That's fine, because I'll have mine this summer and make sterile eighties music

It's not going to be all things to all synth heads.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #56
Deleted 46dc28f
Guest
I don't know why some people are opposed to discussing and speculating on this synth before it's been released. After all, 100 people have already paid JB for a Solaris based purely on speculation, low quality demos, and specs.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #57
Deleted 46dc28f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matocaster View Post
Wow! a lot of folks are missing the point of Solaris. It's amazing that people can tell us what it's supposed to be and never laid a hand on it. A few videos that show the functionality of a synth that's not even in production yet and it's being dismissed as too sterile. That's fine, because I'll have mine this summer and make sterile eighties music

It's not going to be all things to all synth heads.
Yeah, not '80s or sterile sounding to my ear.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

It reminds me of the conjecture about the Hartmann Neuron (although not half as fueled by the growth of forums)

BTW- I love my Hartmann, but it was a massive leap of faith because not too many people could try one out and there wasn't much to compare it to as reference... much like the Solaris, I believe.

Zero objection to the synth (how could I?), I only object to the fierce posturing on either end of the spectrum for something few really know ANYTHING about.


-a
Old 4th April 2010
  #59
Mr Arkadin
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by T71 View Post
I don't know why some people are opposed to discussing and speculating on this synth before it's been released.
Speculation yes. Comments like the filters are crap, sounds sterile etc. based on a youtube video is not speculation or discussion. It's just silly
Old 4th April 2010
  #60
Deleted 46dc28f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
Speculation yes. Comments like the filters are crap, sounds sterile etc. based on a youtube video is not speculation or discussion. It's just silly
I just re-read the entire thread, you are the only one who mentioned anything about filters being crap.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ryankraft / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
81
greenlights / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
37
CarLofgren / So much gear, so little time
0
analogaddict / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
31
ninjaneer / Mastering forum
10

Forum Jump
Forum Jump