The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

UPS trashed a V Synth I sold on ebay once, it arrived with the end cheeks smashed to bits

it arrived damaged but the buyer got fully reimbursed for the item + a few hundred on top (I always overinsure) so wasn't that big of a deal really

I guess if you are buying a super rare item or jupiter 8 it would be a bigger problem
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Ive had a few nightmare sellers...
The two worst were an MPC2000XL in a real big ****ty thin card board box, no packing what so ever, with a stand for it (also in the auction) also in the box. ZERO packing.
The MPC was banged up to **** and broke the LCD, slider broke off, the metal stand moved around and scratched the **** out of the MPC.
You can imagine that i sent that one back to the seller LOL.

The other that springs to mind was a JD800 which arrived in ONLY a thin layer of bubble wrap all round the unit. Both end cheeks/ corners totally smashed up. That one also went back to the seller for a refund.

Dumbass's the pair of them.
Ive shipped OBX's, Jupiters, hell even a Waldorf Wave to europe/ US, never, never had a complaint about something ive packed and sent.. makes me wonder why other people cant do the same, lazy i guess.. or stupid. Or both LOL.
Old 22nd April 2010
Gear Maniac

unless it ships in a clam shell skb style case as well its hard to pack a synth properly. i sold my motif 6 a while back, bubble wrapped the entire synth using the thicker type of bubble wrap. extra wrap over the display. i filled the box with padding, peanuts, and those plastic air bags. synth arrived fine shipped from cali to florida. it was a pain to pack that synth! took at least a few hours. but i knew it would arrive safe unless the shipper went out of their way to destroy it

like others, i care about packaging and making it right. last thing i'd want is an item to arrive damaged.
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Not in my experience. Get a bike box from your local bike shop. Bubble wrap the synth with large bubblewrap, 2" all round. Fill ends / bottom / top with packing material to fill out box, just to stop synth touching the sides / top / bottom. Hell, even screwed up newspaper is OK, quite effective even, when used to pad out a box after the synth has been wrapped in bubble wrap. I rarely double box either, never needed to really, i find the one box if packed properly is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monads View Post
unless it ships in a clam shell skb style case as well its hard to pack a synth properly. i sold my motif 6 a while back, bubble wrapped the entire synth using the thicker type of bubble wrap. extra wrap over the display. i filled the box with padding, peanuts, and those plastic air bags. synth arrived fine shipped from cali to florida. it was a pain to pack that synth! took at least a few hours. but i knew it would arrive safe unless the shipper went out of their way to destroy it
Old 22nd April 2010
Gear Maniac

you don't need to pack it in an skb case for sure. i was just throwing it out as additional added protection (specially for a vintage synth). you're right, it's not difficult, just time consuming. of which some people don't care about taking the time to pack it right, hence the difficulty/lazy factor.
Old 22nd April 2010
For those who don't know: Some kinds of gaffer tape don't work on paper or cardboard!
Some years ago I had wrapped a synth very carefully with a custom-fitted cardboard box and and nearly a whole Sunday edition newspaper. Great package, but too late for the post office.
Thank God!
The next morning it had completely unwrapped itself - I shiver to think that could have happened on its way!

So only use the tape especially made for wrapping paper and cardboard!

Cheers,
Bert
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

I have sworn never to buy another keyboard off of ebay again unless I can do local pickup.

Sound modules are usually okay, but I've bought two keyboards off ebay (a Juno 106 and an Akai AX-80) and both got damaged in shipping.

It's just not worth the hassle...
Old 22nd April 2010
Gear Guru

I've had an AN1x arrive in a DIY box. It had to visit the tech rightaway :(.

I've had an Alpha Juno 1 arrive in the same way - luckily they don't have much in the way of protruding parts.

When I ship, I offer people to take pictures of the process of wrapping things up - that way they can see I do my best to protect the gear I send and if they're not happy, I can follow their suggestions for improvement.
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

What an apropos subject considering this arrived today laden with styrofoam that took me 1/2 an hour to clean off and there's still some. I took this picture after I had already cleaned off 90% of that crap. Thank God is comes in it's own case, well, and the fact that it's an EML 101 makes it not hurt so bad. But still, what a dumbass!
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

could have been worse... they could have totally smashed the case on that eml-101. ive seen that happen too, thanks to sellers who dont follow packing instructions.
:(
mini
Old 29th April 2011
Here for the gear

I couldn't decide if it were better to create a new thread for my question or post it here...I am sorry in advance if this appears to be a hijack attempt. It is not really.

After reading the posts about poor packing. I, as an ebay seller who needs to ship something this weekend, would appreciate any tips on how to effectively wrap and ship a keyboard. The board in question is an old sequential circuits. It is mostly made of metal and seems pretty sturdy but I have never shipped a board before. The one time I bought a fantom x from ebay it arrived with broken knobs and a bashed up frame. Of course I don't know how much happened in transit.

BTW, I am planning to use the cardboard box that my fantom x came in (I don't think it was the problem) but rather loose packing and general lack of care.
Old 29th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean maru View Post
I couldn't decide if it were better to create a new thread for my question or post it here...I am sorry in advance if this appears to be a hijack attempt. It is not really.

After reading the posts about poor packing. I, as an ebay seller who needs to ship something this weekend, would appreciate any tips on how to effectively wrap and ship a keyboard. The board in question is an old sequential circuits. It is mostly made of metal and seems pretty sturdy but I have never shipped a board before. The one time I bought a fantom x from ebay it arrived with broken knobs and a bashed up frame. Of course I don't know how much happened in transit.

BTW, I am planning to use the cardboard box that my fantom x came in (I don't think it was the problem) but rather loose packing and general lack of care.
My K5000S (metal, weighs a ton) arrived, in excellent shape, as follows:

wrapped in 2" or so of the big/heavy bubble wrap, and the last 8-10" on each end was wrapped about 4-5", and there were air-filled plastic bag/bubbles tucked all around it, with a judicious amount of foam peanuts (not styrofoam) for good measure.

I would probably put extra wrap in the middle, too, to support it better in case the big bubbles shift or something when UPS tries to punt it onto your porch.
Old 29th April 2011
Lives for gear

If you want it to be covered for UPS or FedEx for damage is has to be double boxed, no exceptions. I've shipped 1000 pound freights to england and a 500 year old clock, and $100,000 worth of china.

We treated it all the same 'sans' the freight items, if its expensive it gets double boxed and packed accordingly:

#1 make sure the item is at least two inches away from all sizes of the first box to figure out how big the box you need. The item should never touch the insides of the boxes.

#2 Have about an inch or so of bubble wrap before it goes into the box, and then fill it with peanuts.

#3 With the item in side and the box taped put some half inch to an inch thick Styrofoam board around the first box.

#4 The best trick is to get a box ever so slightly larger than the first box that it slides in the second box without any real play and 'hugs' the styro board.
If not put the item in the box and fill it up with peanuts.

Getting it done right is going to cost you some cash. I've shipped a JP6 and an OB8 1300 miles away UPS ground with the insurance cost me close to $125 for everything. People will scoff at it and think shipping ANYTHING that costs more than $20 as 'out of control'. I've had people complain a $90 boxing/shipping charge on a $50,000 instrument. LOL

REALLY you'd rather be out the 50 grand than pony up the 50 extra dollars to even insure the damn thing.

Take your time, and or spend some cash.
NEVER ever be cheap, only frugal.

Cheap people always have broken crap and eat walmart plastic food.
Old 29th April 2011
Lives for gear

UPS sucks! UPS store packaging sucks!!
Old 29th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
UPS sucks! UPS store packaging sucks!!
Sure are probably some UPS stores that suck but I see most of the damage come from the sorting device of a 100 pound box slide down the conveyor and hit another box full force.

Thats where 99% of the damage come from hence the recommendation for the double box.
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Sorry to hear about the state of your SR.

Although, even if you take care to package them, its not always a cert they will arrive in good condition.

I sold a Roland JX8P and spent literally all day wrapping it. Seriously well wrapped, foam, airbags, the lot. It arrived at the recievers end smashed to bits. When it was unwrapped the keys were smashed the display cracked, caseing bent. I couldn't believe it.

I decided from that day on, to only sell synths if they were collected in person. Some of these couriors are either ex WWF or are reletives of John McEnroe.

So true. It's a gamble every time you ship something. You have to spend the time to make sure it has a fighting chance of arriving in one piece. I sent this one to Europe a nd it just arrived. The outer box was badly damaged but luckily it was enough to buffer the inner box and everything works fine on the synth. I used a modified heavy cardboard plasma TV box with pieces of custom cut foam all the way around the inner box. Inside the case was bubble wrap and neoprene to prevent shock to the keyboard in case it was dropped. or tossed around like it most certainly would be at some stage in it's journey.
Attached Thumbnails
Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-chateua-gran-rentals-080.jpg   Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-chateua-gran-rentals-082.jpg  
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean maru View Post
. . . would appreciate any tips on how to effectively wrap and ship a keyboard. The board in question is an old sequential circuits. It is mostly made of metal and seems pretty sturdy . . .
BTW, I am planning to use the cardboard box that my fantom x came in.
When packing a synth you want to accomplish a few things: prevent the delicate bits from getting snapped off, keep the synth from moving around, and provide a solid overall package that won't get crushed. If you look at the way a new laptop, TV, or stereo is packaged, you'll see that they do all of these things. Notice that they use custom end pieces made of styrofoam or cardboard to support the item. You won't see packing materials supporting the knobs or screen.

Double-boxing is ideal. If you can only use a single box, make sure it is sturdy and in good shape. The box will carry all of the impact and load. If the box is wimpy, your precious synth will have to carry the weight of the other packages stacked on top of it.

Wrap the entire keyboard in a plastic bag and seal the end with tape. This will prevent damage to the keyboard if the box gets wet.

Wrap each end of the keyboard with several layers of bubble wrap. Secure the bubble wrap with tape. You want at least 2" thick of bubble wrap at the top, bottom, front and side of each end. Do this ONLY on the ends. Do NOT wrap the entire keyboard.

Place the wrapped keyboard in the box. The box will probably be bigger than your wrapped synth. If so, wrap extra bubble wrap at the ends to ensure that the synth fits snugly within the box. Make sure that the wrapped keyboard is centered in the box. Once the box is in transit, there's no such thing as "This Way Up".

When heavy boxes are placed on top of yours, all of the weight will be carried by the corners of the box (that's the strongest part) and by the end frame of your synth (that's the strongest part of the synth). When (not if) something pushes on the middle of the box, there will be a few inches of free space before the box makes contact with the knobs and keys of the synth. If you make the mistake of wrapping your synth with an equal amount of bubble wrap all around, then when something pushes on the weak center of the box, the load will go into the delicate knobs and keys.
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monads View Post
you don't need to pack it in an skb case for sure. i was just throwing it out as additional added protection (specially for a vintage synth). you're right, it's not difficult, just time consuming. of which some people don't care about taking the time to pack it right, hence the difficulty/lazy factor.
I shipped this one with no issues. But it took some real time to make it all fit properly. I hot melted the foam pieces and corners then constructed the cardboard box around it all. I used about two rolls of packaging tape for the end caps. The E Synth is very large and heavy. I wonder if a large package pisses shippers off more than small ones , hence they treat them with more contempt?
Attached Thumbnails
Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-esynthpack-003.jpg   Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-esynthpack-006.jpg  
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftree View Post
Wrap each end of the keyboard with several layers of bubble wrap. Secure the bubble wrap with tape. You want at least 2" thick of bubble wrap at the top, bottom, front and side of each end. Do this ONLY on the ends. Do NOT wrap the entire keyboard.
This never once occurred to me, but after hearing it, it sounds not only logical, but a very efficient use of material. thumbsup
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

Here's a G5 that I purchased. it was packed in bubble wrap and seemingly a good attempt at protecting it for the journey. But it arrived badly damaged. The DVD drawer wouldn't open. The inside of the unit was caked in cobwebs and dust. The seller vanished and I ended up finding a used case and rebuilding the whole thing. A royal pain in the ass with a G5.
Attached Thumbnails
Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-g5-damage-003.jpg   Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-g5-damage-008.jpg  
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra View Post
I just got what was going to be a mint condition Korg Wavestation SR off ebay. It arrived today in a box not much bigger than the unit which caused the rack ears to bend as they were in direct contact with the box. It also has a lovely scuffed up display from the plastic bag the seller taped firmly against it.

WTF is the matter with some people?

When I sell a synth I pack it like a Fabergé egg 'cause I want to preserve the synth, give the buyer what they paid for, and keep the money they paid me.
Man that sucks....I think we all have a story here. I sold a Virus Desktop about a year ago and packed it VERY well to be shipped via ground from Nashville to Hollywood. UPS managed to do $250 worth of damage. Of course it was the one time I didn't buy insurance because the "UPS Store" was charging 3x the normal rate. In the end it got fixed and in working order
Old 30th April 2011
Gear Maniac

While an avid synthesizer nut, I also am an active trombonist, teaching and performing in classical, jazz, and swing.

I have seen brass instruments shipped in the most LUDICROUS fashions imaginable, including a trombone assembled, then just dropped into a box of packing peanuts.

You can NEVER assume a seller knows or cares a thing about getting your merchandise to you in a secure manner. As such, I recommend giving them instructions about packing and shipping and am quite willing to pay extra for the time and materials and insurance to do so if they're selling a desirable item. It may cost more, but it seems to reduce the amount of heartache for both parties in the long run. When suggested properly, the advice is usually well received...most people simply don't THINK well enough to come up with good packaging ideas.
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

For any aussies who are thinking of using Pack & Send they do a really good job, I got my JUNO-60 through them, the seller just took it in to the place and they did all packing...and it was in heavy big bubblewrap plus lots of cardboard and a thick perfect sized box which was glue gunned, just excellent.

Too bad the JUNO-60 had to be sent back cos some of the voice chips were stuffed.
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

this is way how to pack an expensive keyboard

BUT THAT IS EXPENSIVE WAY!!!!

I recived few ****ed up synths and i blame post and delivery!!
they play football with packages ... you dont wanna know in what shape I got some synths and I asked for insurance.. and they told me like ..you opened package allready.. or we cant cover that ...or...
Attached Thumbnails
Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-img_0003-1.jpg   Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-img_0022.jpg   Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-img_0028.jpg   Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-img_0027.jpg   Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-img_0032.jpg  

Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-mellotron.jpg  
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator View Post
this is way how to pack an expensive keyboard

BUT THAT IS EXPENSIVE WAY!!!!

I recived few ****ed up synths and i blame post and delivery!!
they play football with packages ... you dont wanna know in what shape I got some synths and I asked for insurance.. and they told me like ..you opened package allready.. or we cant cover that ...or...
Yes, a wooden crate is almost impervious to crushing issues. Adds a lot of weight to the shipment and requires a lot of effort to fabricate, but definitely effective.
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Head

There's a Minimoog in this box...
Attached Thumbnails
Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-moogbox1.jpg   Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-moogbox2.jpg  
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

I bought a Roland JD800 from Touched By Sound in Germany a few years ago. It was packed really well but customs cut opened the packaging and didn't repack it properly then the delivery courier left it in my garage leaning up against the wall, naturally it fell over and destroyed the casing.

I was absolutely fuming and couldn't do anything about it because Australian customs were the ones who opened the packaging!
Old 14th April 2016
The contents were not moved before I took this picture.
This was the actual packing material. Total laziness on the seller's part.
Before opening the box, I noticed holes where the rack ears had stuck out of both sides sometime during the trip!

The module was tested and sold as working but arrived DOA. The main circuit board inside was fractured.

I've had so many mishaps with eBay synths in the mail that I now send an eMail before sending payment.
I ask the shipper to double bubble wrap and make sure the synth doesn't touch the side of the box.
Once I get a reply I send the payment.
After that rule... so far 100% good shipments and working well.

Old 15th April 2016
Lives for gear

JD-800's Don't Fare Well

My first JD-800 was sold as mint, "professionally" packed by the UPS Store.
Attached Thumbnails
Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-just-removed-box-left.jpg   Ebay Sellers Who Don't know How to Pack a Synth Suck-just-removed-box-right.jpg  
Old 16th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrod View Post
My first JD-800 was sold as mint, "professionally" packed by the UPS Store.
This is exactly why every gear purchase really needs to be insured, ESPECIALLY when it's pack and ship store. A lot of people are probably looking at that and thinking that it wasn't packed by the UPS Store and that it's a cover story, but I've been on the other side of this story before. I once sold a Virus B to a guy on eBay. Guy receives it and is pissed because it was badly packaged. He wasn't pushing for a return or refund or anything because it survived, just wanted to know what the hell was going on, especially since I had messaged him before shipment to tell him that it was being 'professionally packed'. Then he sends me a picture of how he received it.

Not a single sheet of bubblewrap.

Not one packing peanut.

Not even loose papers to buffer it.

The pack and ship I was using literally put it into an empty box and shipped it like that. I was so embarrassed that I refunded him the whole purchase and never went back to that pack and ship. This actually happens.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search