The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A6 vs JP-8 (Die JP-8 Die!) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

@golden beers,

thanks for that. cheers mate I can whip up more. now where's this Klion?

@don,
yea I agree the MPG80 is over priced for a controller but if it were me I'd spring for it anyway. as we both know the jupiter 6 has no velocity or aftertouch but it makes up for that by [your] realtime control. tough call between the mks and jupiter but as you heard the filter is what makes the jupiter. Drehbank? well if it works for you. Do you hear much stepping using the Drehbank/mpg? cos I don't using the front panel.

that 'tinkle' bit was inspired by the jupiter 8 'piano' patch i heard utilising a inverted envelope and i added bpf. the times my jupiter 8 actually worked the duo were awesome, totally complementary. although (i find) the jupiter 6 is amazing at high frequency sounds.
Old 7th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
now where's this Klion?

it seems he'd rather tap some fine white ass, surreptitiously take photos of her and then post it all over the interwebs in some kind of testosterone fuelled ego madness than piddle around on a synth for hours. dude has got his priorities all wrong man!

he needs to check himself before he ribberdy-wrecks himself
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
is this an april fools joke? i hope so!

if not, i'd like to see how close you can get to this (all JP8, with a yamaha SPX1000 FX (EDIT just verb and one part with pitch change)). i've posted it a few times on GS...

Keerist are you sure that wasnt a real thunder and rain storm you went out and recorded there. Really really inspirational stuff. I wonder all these years later are there soft synths that could bring the rumble like that.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Am far to busy to do soundscapes for GS on my A6 but here are a few vids i found, most of you may have seen before but still guessed i would post as Klion hasn't risen to challenge yet.

Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

of the jp6 demos, the last one i think will be the hardest for the andromeda to get there. it's filter doesn't like to do that warm fat BWARP.

the others 80% or so which isn't bad.
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Holy ****, if planes, bird song and boiling water ever become a successful musical genre I've gotta bookmark this thread. heh
Old 7th April 2010
i can make an ugly alien crying baby sound on the 8 if you want..

could be popular in a few years

@bunny, thanks!
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
of the jp6 demos, the last one i think will be the hardest for the andromeda to get there. it's filter doesn't like to do that warm fat BWARP.

the others 80% or so which isn't bad.
ok thanks what do you mean by 80%?

golden beers you're always the humourist.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
@don,
yea I agree the MPG80 is over priced for a controller but if it were me I'd spring for it anyway. as we both know the jupiter 6 has no velocity or aftertouch but it makes up for that by [your] realtime control. tough call between the mks and jupiter but as you heard the filter is what makes the jupiter. Drehbank? well if it works for you. Do you hear much stepping using the Drehbank/mpg? cos I don't using the front panel.
it's not as bad as you think if you consider a jupiter 6 is going for like $2000-2500 these days, and a mks80+mpg80 together is going for about the same. if you buy a mks80 and mpg80 separately, you might spend a little more than if you find them together.
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee View Post
Am far to busy to do soundscapes for GS on my A6 but here are a few vids i found, most of you may have seen before but still guessed i would post as Klion hasn't risen to challenge yet.

Haha, the plane landing vid sounds more like the THX sound fading out
Not wanting to diss the Andy. It's an awesome synth, but the programming could've been better.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteblues View Post
Haha, the plane landing vid sounds more like the THX sound fading out
Not wanting to diss the Andy. It's an awesome synth, but the programming could've been better.
Well its all i could find for now, but i really don't see the point of "well i bet your synths can't do this", anyone with good programming skills and a synth with descent enough modulation and routing possibilities, including soft synths, can design most things with in reason. Now the real question is are they all going to sound the same, tone wise, from machine to machine and the answer is always no.
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee View Post
Well its all i could find for now, but i really don't see the point of "well i bet your synths can't do this", anyone with good programming skills and a synth with descent enough modulation and routing possibilities, including soft synths, can design most things with in reason. Now the real question is are they all going to sound the same, tone wise, from machine to machine and the answer is always no.
Very true, and very true.
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
it seems he'd rather tap some fine white ass, surreptitiously take photos of her and then post it all over the interwebs in some kind of testosterone fuelled ego madness than piddle around on a synth for hours. dude has got his priorities all wrong man!

he needs to check himself before he ribberdy-wrecks himself
very very very very true! heh

And yes I am here, and I am working on it. On the ass I mean.
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

@ peteblues it sounds like there is some kind of reverb on the train vid you posted. NE1 else noticed that?

That was the only demo that pretty much impressed me.

Neat, but whats the point other than that.

Anyone put up some impressive, expressive, and musical examples that convey emotions?

Haven't really seen anything that captures that from any of the posts here. I don't mean to pee on any fires but...

I'm sure you guys have a TON more synthesis experience than little ol me (not trying to be patronizing) but what about music?
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Just listened to the Bach Andy example and its kind of boring and doesn't convey the intent of the composition.

Again I'm not trying to pee on anyones fires but I'd like to be shown something musical that the Jupiter 8 vs the Andy can do.
Can anyone put something up more substantial than sfx? I'd really like to try out an Andy here myself but what I've heard (and I haven't done a ton of listening for it to be honest) doesn't really blow me away for $3000. Yes the sound quality is very good for the money, but what about musicality?

BTW Goldenbeers great sfx, really liked it, and I'm very impressed with your synthesis skills brocef.

update:

just saw lain's post,
Thanks lain for posting some music on here, very noice. Anyone else??

Last edited by peter_martin; 8th April 2010 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: correction!
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_martin View Post
@ peteblues it sounds like there is some kind of reverb on the train vid you posted. NE1 else noticed that?

That was the only demo that pretty much impressed me.

Neat, but whats the point other than that.

Anyone put up some impressive, expressive, and musical examples that convey emotions?

Haven't really seen anything that captures that from any of the posts here. I don't mean to pee on any fires but...

I'm sure you guys have a TON more synthesis experience than little ol me (not trying to be patronizing) but what about music?
I didn't post them
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Maniac

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zAcJnJOqln0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zAcJnJOqln0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_martin View Post
..just saw lain's post,
Thanks lain for posting some music on here, very noice. Anyone else??
Many thanks!
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Little JP8 demo for ya'll..

Kinda stock sounding brassy keys layered with a pad underneath.

No processing, just some Lexicon verb.
Attached Files
File Type: aif JP8 DEMO.aif (5.13 MB, 212 views)
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

so...

safe to assume kilon is full of hot air?

too much

and not enough
Old 17th April 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearAggression View Post
so...

too much

and not enough
He learned something of it. Never estimate the power of the synth you never played. :o)
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearAggression View Post
so...

Yes it is very safe to assume that.

I tried and tried and failed miserably. Either the emulation is beyond my level of skill which is not great or what I try to do is technically impossible.

So as mythbusters say it , I name my theory of Jupi emulation by Andy

BUSTED!!!
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
Yes it is very safe to assume that.

I tried and tried and failed miserably. Either the emulation is beyond my level of skill which is not great or what I try to do is technically impossible.

So as mythbusters say it , I name my theory of Jupi emulation by Andy

BUSTED!!!
You know what, it is awesome that you worked and put in the effort to try

That's a heck of a lot more than most of us here and to add to my respect, you came back here and gave us your honest answer.

Thank you for your work!

-Andrews
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
You know what, it is awesome that you worked and put in the effort to try

That's a heck of a lot more than most of us here and to add to my respect, you came back here and gave us your honest answer.

Thank you for your work!

-Andrews
Well this test enforced what I believed even before buying Andromeda. That Andy even though its deep and powerful , its far from best sounding synth. Yes its sure sounds analogue , and it has that character inside the sound, but at least for me, its far from being the best analogue.

I did however manage to reach a 80% , and I can post some sound samples if people are interested. But Golden Beers sounds , are much more organic than the sounds I can do with my Andy.

Of course an emulation is far from easy task, but even so, I drawn some very useful conclusions of what Andy can or cannot do , in a logical time frame.
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Don't consider a synth as an emulator of another, the Andromeda is the Andromeda in it's own right - cherish what makes it good rather than getting it to emulate the Jupiter. The Jupiter is great because it's a Jupiter and that's what it sounds like!

And don't worry, the A6 will start going for silly money soon!
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Top marks to Sir Kilon for trying. thumbsup

...but no synth can really substitute another 100%. As said above A6 is a fantastic synth, and sounds like .....an A6. (and ditto with every other synth that appeals to your taste).

It is impossible to label a synth 'the best' or 'ultimate'. That can only be a personal opinion, which obviously differs from person to person.
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Top marks to Sir Kilon for trying. thumbsup

...but no synth can really substitute another 100%. As said above A6 is a fantastic synth, and sounds like .....an A6. (and ditto with every other synth that appeals to your taste).

It is impossible to label a synth 'the best' or 'ultimate'. That can only be a personal opinion, which obviously differs from person to person.
I agree... maybe I am stretching myself abit here, maybe the comparison was unfair for Andy all along. Maybe thestars were not corectly aligned with the Andromeda gallaxy . But then I it was a test for me and my Andy.

I still remind myself that I own Alpha only for a few months and invest only a few hour per week for it. I am far from being an authority on this issue. Maybe in a few years I will return back to this thread and with new experience to completely change my verdict.

Yesterday I did with my Motif what I rarely do, designed a sound. I produced something that Andy could not do, and the result was both easy and rewarding.

So I keep reminding myself that there is always room for everything and even time.
Old 19th April 2010
you've proved yourself wrong but you’re man enough to admit defeat.

i guess that's the last word on this utterly stupid question of which is 'best'.....

there's always something that one synth can do better than another. there is no king of the synths. i mean the JP8 can be beaten by a DX7.

apples vs oranges.

JMJ vs Vangelis.

but actually this is a good thread. funny how the 'sensible threads' can turn to ****, eg: music vs sound,

and the 'dumb-ass' threads can turn good...

Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Just whipped this up - all JX10 (sounds done on the spot, i have the PG800 ;-) ) and reverb from the wedge.

Some (unintentional) noise in there, not much stereo imaging and not musically pleasing at all, but hey, what do you expect from a couple of hours fooling around?

Ends with a completely unrelated wide pad sound that has no JX chorus in it.
Attached Files

JX10-jungle_orchestra.mp3 (5.57 MB, 489 views)

Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
Just whipped this up - all JX10 (sounds done on the spot, i have the PG800 ;-) ) and reverb from the wedge.

Some (unintentional) noise in there, not much stereo imaging and not musically pleasing at all, but hey, what do you expect from a couple of hours fooling around?

Ends with a completely unrelated wide pad sound that has no JX chorus in it.
thumbsup

Reminds me of the start to 12" of Frankie's 'Pleasure Dome' heh

Excellent programmimg. (I wish I'd had a PG800 for my JX8P and MKS-70).
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search