The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite Analog Filter Emulator AU/VST Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazebag View Post
AdmiralQuality NaiveLPF. It has all you ask for, sounds nice, and is free.

AdmiralQuality.com - Products
Nice Lookin, but Windows only tutt

Edit: oops! I meant this: "Minimal Systems Inc's Filterbank and Moogi vst's."
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

LFO Tool | Xfer Records

Been getting my money's worth out of this in Maschine...
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Soundtoys filterfreak all the way, at least until cytomic's 'the drop' comes out
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
LFO Tool | Xfer Records

Been getting my money's worth out of this in Maschine...
Moneys worth is an understatement with that thing, probably best overall use vs price ratio out there.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 15th June 2011
Gear Guru

I'm a huge fan of Dr. Device by Audiodamage.
Old 19th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman View Post
Up until a few weeks ago, I'd all but forgotten that DCAM came with FX versions as well. Ran a few things through Strobe's filter and rather liked the results.

Andy/Cytomic's forthcoming new filter plugin, The Drop, is sounding rather promising.
Dang, I hadn't heard about Drop until reading this thread... Now I want to be cryogenically frozen until December :-(

On the plus side... had totally forgotten again about the potential to use DCAM & Xils as effects to utilise their filters... still haven't yet tried that.
Old 20th June 2011
Gear Maniac

I love the UAD Moog filter which i got recently.

it really really sounds like a Moog ( although obviously very 2-D, thin, and 'lacking in bass', because it's software)

But for software, it's pretty good.
Old 20th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
I love the UAD Moog filter which i got recently.

( although obviously very 2-D, thin, and 'lacking in bass', because it's software)
Yes, I mean No!
Old 19th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
On the plus side... had totally forgotten again about the potential to use DCAM & Xils as effects to utilise their filters... still haven't yet tried that.
After many hours lost, I've found that neither DCAM or Xils-3 will currently function as a filter for external stereo audio.

I can't get Xils-3 to work at all, Xavier acknowledged the problem & says he is going to do some testing.

DCAM will work... but only accepts a mono input signal (stereo gets summed to mono.).

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ting-mono.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ilter-etc.html

:-(

Oh dear, let's pray for an early release of The Drop.
Old 25th July 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
dont you understand-I have owned this and have a UAD card. Nothing about this plugin makes me want to suck anyones balls. In fact-there are very few plugins that make a UAD card stand out these days...
well.. that sounds very analog also to me.. probably you are saying about "VERY GOOD" analog. just analog doesn't mean sucking balls situation.
Old 25th July 2011
Lives for gear

Simonator, have you tried using a plugin host within Logic? Something like Bidule?
Old 25th July 2011
Gear Head

I just Love my PSP N2O (former nitro) it's a sweet sounding modular filter....and more. And it has som crazy wouderful feedback routing to..

My go to filter
Old 25th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Simonator, have you tried using a plugin host within Logic? Something like Bidule?
Thanks for your suggestion.

FXPansion actually suggested that I get Bidule too.

The problem is-

* That is going to cost me £80... For marginally more, I could purchase Nebula, which is top of my shopping list anyway, and features great filters.

* There is no demo of the plug-in version of Bidule, so I can't even be sure of how well this would work in reality without taking a leap of faith & splashing the cash.

* Cytomic The Drop will be out in a matter of months, and will clearly be superior to Strobe's filter... so this would be an expensive sticking-plaster solution until then.

* I would still be running TWO instances of CPU hungry, oversampling DCAM synths (plus Bidule itself.), just to filter one stereo signal... which is inefficient use of system resources.

* Using some messy routing-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Yep, I think this should be possible. But for each instance (in Logic at least.) you'll need a dedicated instrument track for the filter + a dedicated aux per filter.

Thus, to apply the filter to a stereo mix, I figure I'd need to:

* Route all my tracks/busses to an aux channel; as though that were the master. Apply any pre-filtering master channel fx to this aux.

* Route that aux to TWO additional aux channels. Pan one hard left & the other hard right.

* Create two instrument tracks with StrobeFX opened as a midi-controlled effect. Route one of the L/R panned aux's into the sidechain input of each of these. Hard-pan the output in the same relevant direction.

* Set up both instances of StrobeFX with identical settings, and assign a single midi-knob to control the filter cut-off on both instances of Strobe (or cut & paste the same identical automation to both tracks.)

* Route both of these to the master output 1-2, apply any post-filter FX.

... So five additional channels to achieve stereo filtering of the mix.
I can actually achieve the same thing as what Bidule would do for me in this situation... so I'm not really inclined to spend semi-serious cash just to tidy that up a little.

Ultimately, having experimented with a whole bunch of filters on my master channel, I've ended up just going back to Fabfilter Simplon... it sounds good (if a little too clean perhaps.), and importantly, it has the least effect on the signal when the high-pass is swept all the way down to minimum (something like 4Hz.); it's hardly noticeable, whereas all the other filters I tried had an obvious, audible affect of the sound.
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Addict

This thread's given me major GAS for the Mutronics Mutator and/or AKAI MFC 42..

Edit: This was meant for the French/Filter House Analog Filter Thread. This window was open and got confused.. oops lol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search