The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elka Synthex Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Elka Synthex

I have been accused many times here that I think that Andromeda is the best synth in the world ,obviously because I won one and have defended many times in the past, but the truth is that I would not put it even in the top 10 of the best sounding analogues.

Curently for me there is only 1 synth that goes straight to top 1 , only on the merits of sound quality. Elka Synthex.

To my ears, its sound is extremely huge, awesome and unbelievable.

So I was wondering if there is any luck bastard here that owns one can offer his experience and opinion on this amazing instrument.

I leave you with a video for those not familiar with its sound.

I also would like to ask how difficult is to find one, and how much they usually cost.

Thank you sluts.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

I'm not an owner but I experienced the power of THREE of the things live in concert last year when I saw JM Jarre last year. Absolutely mindblowing, Rendez-vous made the earth move!

Not sure it's ever a synth that'd fit in with what I do but I absolutely adore the sound of the thing.

Cost wise it's Jupiter 8 league, usually between £3000 - £6000.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

From what I've heard much of the sound comes from the inbuild chorus.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Ah yes, also my fantasy synth #1.

There is currently one for sale on Ebay, three days to go and already over €3000. Supposedly mint with original case and stand as well as non standard features on the sequencer.

A testament to the fact that DCOs sounds just as good as VCOs, just different.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetty View Post

There is currently one for sale on Ebay, three days to go and already over €3000. Supposedly mint with original case and stand as well as non standard features on the sequencer.

They went for 1500-1800 EUR 1-2 years ago...
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
yeah so I have heard, but it seems the ring modulator is very strong as well. There is some aggresiveness in the sound usually found in digitals but with full analogueness. Its a combination that stimulates my G spot
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
They went for 1500-1800 EUR 1-2 years ago...
damnnnnn mannnnn
thats DEAD CHEAP!!!!

I would love to own one, are they reliable ?
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetty View Post

links are more than welcomed, I did a search in the US and UK ebay and returned only manuals.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
links are more than welcomed, I did a search in the US and UK ebay and returned only manuals.
Ebay.de
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Chorus fx are not on all sounds but some of them benefit immensely. That bandpass filtered texture that is heard at 01:24 is a preset which is also used precisely as is in Jarre's Rendez Vous.

But, the Chorus #3 in the Synthex does wonders for pads and stuff like that. After a LOT of tweaking, I have managed to get close to that with the A6 and the algorithm "Allan's Chorus" from the H-8000FW. Can't really say that I nailed it, though...

In any case I rank the Synthex as #1 poly-vintage. If I had a lot of cash and I had to get a vintage poly, I would hit it right away.

Just in case someone has 5500 euros, RLMusic has one.

Last edited by OurDarkness; 31st March 2010 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Typo :-(
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear
It sounds like it would make great organ sounds.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

@JEtty : Doh, I completely forgot about the german ebay, thanks , I just located, I will watch with great interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
The Chorus fx are not on all sounds but some of them benefit immensely. That bandpass filtered texture that is heard at 01:24 is a preset which is also precisely as is in Jarre's Rendez Vous.

But, the Chorus #3 in the Synthex does wonders for pads and stuff like that. After a LOT of tweaking, I have managed to get close to that with the A6 and the algorithm "Allan's Chorus" from the H-8000FW. Can't really say that I nailed it, though...

In any case I rank the Synthex as #1 poly-vintage. If I had a lot of cash and I had to get a vintage poly, I would hit it right away.

Just in case someone has 5500 euros, RLMusic has one.

Is the chorus analogue ? Will analogue chorus help Andy sound like that ?

I would love to bring this type of timbres into my Andy. I would not want to part with 5500 euros just for a better chorus, even though the sound is so much better than I can curently get from my Andy.

Maybe its time to look into some good analogue effects ... what you think guys ?
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

I have one.
Its bloody great.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Try a Dimension D.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=kilon;5259538
Is the chorus analogue?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[QUOTE=kilon;5259538
Will analogue chorus help Andy sound like that?[/QUOTE]

Not all analog chorus sound the same. The Dimension D for instance, sounds different. To my ears the Chorus in the Synthex sounds more like a vibrato, not artificial but very organic.
Old 31st March 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe its time to look into some good analogue effects ... what you think guys ?
I think you're right. This uses the same chip used in the Solina and Elka Rhapsody choruses. I've wanted a chorus like this for ages. This one doesn't only seem absolutely fantastic, its price is also not insane (like.. Dyno My Piano..).
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

You wont get one machine to sound like another machine.
They all sound different.
A chorus wont help your A6 sound like a Synthex at all.
I found that the A6 didnt gell well with my Dimension D or SBF chorus.
Sold my A6 a while back and it isnt missed.
The Synthex has a lively vintage sound, the oscillators are precise and they dont drift like an OBX or CS80 does. The glide is programmable for either or both oscillators which is nice and gives you some twangy Laser Harp type sounds when using osc sync.
The filter is great. Love the sharp band pass filters.
What else.. EGs are fairly standard ADSR, attack is pretty quick, percussive sounds are nice. Chorus is great, mode 1 is like a gentle thickening. 2 is more like a Roland affair. 3 is serious String chorus.
No unison sadly.

Quote:
@JEtty : Doh, I completely forgot about the german ebay, thanks , I just located, I will watch with great interest.

I would love to bring this type of timbres into my Andy. I would not want to part with 5500 euros just for a better chorus, even though the sound is so much better than I can curently get from my Andy.

Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

I can't believe Synthexes used to go so cheaply. I'm going to cry now.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
You wont get one machine to sound like another machine.
They all sound different.
A chorus wont help your A6 sound like a Synthex at all.
I found that the A6 didnt gell well with my Dimension D or SBF chorus.
Sold my A6 a while back and it isnt missed.
The Synthex has a lively vintage sound, the oscillators are precise and they dont drift like an OBX or CS80 does. The glide is programmable for either or both oscillators which is nice and gives you some twangy Laser Harp type sounds when using osc sync.
The filter is great. Love the sharp band pass filters.
What else.. EGs are fairly standard ADSR, attack is pretty quick, percussive sounds are nice. Chorus is great, mode 1 is like a gentle thickening. 2 is more like a Roland affair. 3 is serious String chorus.
No unison sadly.

I feel envious that you own this monster synth , but then I was feeling envious of anyone owning an Andromeda before I got one.

Well I cant say precisely how Synthex sounds, as I never tried one, and I dont care. I care more about the final timbre, there some sounds made with Synthex like the ones in the video that I posted , which I would love to do with my Andy.

I am now at a period that I could afford the next purchase, I was thinkg of getting soemthing protable , but I was nto satisfied with what the market offers so now I am thinking instead an effect unit that can bring more life to my andy.

The goal bringing some timbre of Synthex inside my andy, well even if it is a partial win, I wont complain.

I dont have the money at the moment to pay for 3000 euros or more, and I would feel uncomfortable to invest all this money to an old synth that may brake at any moment. So buying a synthex is not an option. Some thing are meant to remain just dreams.

So my question is how I can get there, closer , without selling my kidney.

I would like to thank Shy for his suggestion, Elkorus is certainly looks very sweet and 400 euros for an analogue chorus is not bad at all. I am seriously considering it and investigating further.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Crumar bit synths are quite similiar in some ways, MUCH cheaper and would get you some of those Synthex sounds. Id look into that if i were you.

Quote:
I feel envious that you own this monster synth , but then I was feeling envious of anyone owning an Andromeda before I got one.

Well I cant say precisely how Synthex sounds, as I never tried one, and I dont care. I care more about the final timbre, there some sounds made with Synthex like the ones in the video that I posted , which I would love to do with my Andy.

I am now at a period that I could afford the next purchase, I was thinkg of getting soemthing protable , but I was nto satisfied with what the market offers so now I am thinking instead an effect unit that can bring more life to my andy.

The goal bringing some timbre of Synthex inside my andy, well even if it is a partial win, I wont complain.

I dont have the money at the moment to pay for 3000 euros or more, and I would feel uncomfortable to invest all this money to an old synth that may brake at any moment. So buying a synthex is not an option. Some thing are meant to remain just dreams.

So my question is how I can get there, closer , without selling my kidney.

I would like to thank Shy for his suggestion, Elkorus is certainly looks very sweet and 400 euros for an analogue chorus is not bad at all. I am seriously considering it and investigating further.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Maniac

Did you guys see this video? Paul Wiffen talks about the Synthex' preset sounds.

Elka Synthex demonstration by Paul Wiffen
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

I own that very synth he's playing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyKeys View Post
Did you guys see this video? Paul Wiffen talks about the Synthex' preset sounds.

Elka Synthex demonstration by Paul Wiffen
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Btw, my favourite Synthex clip at the moment:

http://synthesizer.at/audio/Synthex_workshop.mp3 @ 12:54 Synthex only.
Old 31st March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
Looks great, but it will be almost $600 USD.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Looks great, but it will be almost $600 USD.
That's not too bad in the grand scheme of things. There are modular modules which cost more, and this includes a power supply and enclosure.
Old 31st March 2010
Quote:
ha ha! sweet.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Yer pretty cool huh..I bought it from a guy that bought it from Martin Newcombe who owned the Synth Museum in the UK (RIP)
Paul Wiffen came over to the opening of the museum and demoed the synth. He load 40 great patches into the user bank too, which ive dumped to my computer as an audio file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
ha ha! sweet.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nice! thumbsup
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

The link in post #16 lets you download the manual, which gives some useful details about how the delays are modulated. I used the info to create a Nord G2 chorus patch that uses the same configuration (screen shot attached). It doesn't sound exactly like the chorus in the Elka Synthex soundclips yet, but just a bit more tweaking should get very close. I can't attach G2 patch files here, but if anyone has a G2 and wants the patch, shoot me a PM or email and I'll send it to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Elka Synthex-elka-chorus.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search