The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elka Synthex Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 14th June 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by backindauk View Post
You will need to fix the one that is in there. I'll get a parts list for you.
thanks andrew, did you get my emails?
Old 14th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daylon Faine View Post
thanks andrew, did you get my emails?
Got your emails. Will reply later today when I have cleared some of my work
Old 14th June 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by backindauk View Post
Got your emails. Will reply later today when I have cleared some of my work
glad they came through, sorry if they dont make much sense, ive found it quite difficult getting my head round the multimeter. its 2.15am here in the uk, best get a few hours sleep
Old 15th June 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
Whoa! I am not big on emulations/VSTs but sadly I will never own a real Synthex. It has become one of my fave synths. The sounds, at least on that one well known demo, is gorgeous. One of the best sounding synths ever.

I will check out the XILS lab emulation.
once ive got mine up and running im going to work hard to make a large sample library and sell them to help fund my art. If i didnt need the money i would love nothing more to give them all away for free. Capitalism, dont you just love it!
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Nut

IT IS ALIVE!!!!! Holy **** what a sound, ethereal, sublime and transcendental. I have never ever heard anything like this. I really cant explain in words how amazing this synthex really is! **** im lost for words .........

Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
IT IS ALIVE!!!!! Holy **** what a sound, ethereal, sublime and transcendental. I have never ever heard anything like this. I really cant explain in words how amazing this synthex really is! **** im lost for words .........

Good stuff. What was wrong in the end? I didn't hear back from you...
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Nut

hi mate, i sent you an email on the 15th but i didnt get a reply so i tool it to james walker; this was his findings:-

The Elka Synthex is an odd one , I'm not sure why the Digital 5 Volt line fuse was removed and changed for a panel mounted fuse holder . The fuse holder was only partly wired up . Hence the Elka Synthex would never have worked as it was shipped . Once the fuse holders were replaced a short on the 5 volt line would blow the fuses the second power was applied . The other problem connected with fuses is that the main fuse on the rear panel was a 6.1 Amp Fast blow, it should have been a 1 Amp Anti Surge Fuse .
The reason for the Short on the 5 volt line as that the SCR on the output was blow , shorted to ground . Once removed the power supply unit functions correctly . I have recommended that the main parts in the power supply be replaced, i.e the smoothing capacitors , regulators , rectifiers and power transistors .
The only other problems are a VCF Fault on one voice card . It seems to be a problem with either the ENV Mod or the Cut off CV . The problem with the patches jumping to panel mode after a series of button pushes is a problem with the EPROMs . I've added a set of new EPROMs to the quote .
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Daylon Faine;6784359]IT IS ALIVE!!!!! Holy **** what a sound, ethereal, sublime and transcendental. I have never ever heard anything like this. I really cant explain in words how amazing this synthex really is! **** im lost for words .........

Probably my favorite synth. It is a tragedy that most people did not know about it when it came out.

What a sound. Who knew Italy could make such a fantastic synthsizer.

The guy who made the best demo on youtube said he owned a JP 8 and P5 and kept the Synthex. He said their was no competition. Yeah it is just his opinion but the JP8 and P5 are lengendary synths.

Old 25th June 2011
Gear Nut

i have a jp8 and a prophet 5 rev3 and all these 3 synths sound totally different, if i had to pick 1 it would be the synthex, its just magic!!!. But the 3 are a great combo. My andromeda and prophet 08 turned white when they heard the synthex. looks like they will be off to ebay
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
i have a jp8 and a prophet 5 rev3 and all these 3 synths sound totally different, if i had to pick 1 it would be the synthex, its just magic!!!. But the 3 are a great combo. My andromeda and prophet 08 turned white when they heard the synthex. looks like they will be off to ebay
I watched a Roland video on the new Jupiter-80. What a piece of ****. $3300.

I would rather scour the ends of the earth to find a Synthex versus the new Roland rompler.
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear
i have heard about this synth and the synth is not new but it sounds good.

i like this synth..
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
hi mate, i sent you an email on the 15th but i didnt get a reply so i tool it to james walker; this was his findings:-

The Elka Synthex is an odd one , I'm not sure why the Digital 5 Volt line fuse was removed and changed for a panel mounted fuse holder . The fuse holder was only partly wired up . Hence the Elka Synthex would never have worked as it was shipped . Once the fuse holders were replaced a short on the 5 volt line would blow the fuses the second power was applied . The other problem connected with fuses is that the main fuse on the rear panel was a 6.1 Amp Fast blow, it should have been a 1 Amp Anti Surge Fuse .
The reason for the Short on the 5 volt line as that the SCR on the output was blow , shorted to ground . Once removed the power supply unit functions correctly . I have recommended that the main parts in the power supply be replaced, i.e the smoothing capacitors , regulators , rectifiers and power transistors .
The only other problems are a VCF Fault on one voice card . It seems to be a problem with either the ENV Mod or the Cut off CV . The problem with the patches jumping to panel mode after a series of button pushes is a problem with the EPROMs . I've added a set of new EPROMs to the quote .
Sounds like it was buggered by the previous owner in a repair attempt.

At least it is working, I wouldnt have been able to decipher those problems via email
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetty View Post
Try a Dimension D.
Hell yeah. If you can't afford it, a Dimension C will do the trick.
Old 30th August 2011
Aof
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotuZia View Post
Off topic or ... not so off topic you'll decide ....

but Xils-Lab is about to release the first Synthex emulation

Some details here :

XILS-lab - X-Synth

More details later

LtZ
First I would like to say that I really like XILS lab, their PolyKB II and XILS 3 VSTi sound really great, and have that analog sound feeling.

But I found The Synthix to be lacking. Just comparing the laser harp sound to the real thing I realized they were different.

This guy makes a much better sounding laser harp than the preset:
XILS-lab Synthix - JMJ Laser Harp (Elka Synthex) Sound Test - YouTube
But it still lacks compared to the real thing:
Elka Synthex - original Laser Harp sound - YouTube

Perhaps the major difference I hear is that the Synthex has a lot of "punch" in their sounds. The Synthix lacks more impact, and has that feeling that you are hearing something from a computer and not a real synth. It sounds OK, just not like the real thing.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aof View Post
First I would like to say that I really like XILS lab, their PolyKB II and XILS 3 VSTi sound really great, and have that analog sound feeling.

But I found The Synthix to be lacking. Just comparing the laser harp sound to the real thing I realized they were different.

This guy makes a much better sounding laser harp than the preset:
XILS-lab Synthix - JMJ Laser Harp (Elka Synthex) Sound Test - YouTube
But it still lacks compared to the real thing:
Elka Synthex - original Laser Harp sound - YouTube

Perhaps the major difference I hear is that the Synthex has a lot of "punch" in their sounds. The Synthix lacks more impact, and has that feeling that you are hearing something from a computer and not a real synth. It sounds OK, just not like the real thing.
The Laser Harp preset is used by JMJ with doubled octaves. This is also the way Paul Wiffen ( original creator of the Synthex creator, and the one who introduced Synthex to JMJ ) demonstrates it on a old video.

Also the Double Mode ( wich sometimes implies two stacked different chorus ! ) of the Synthex is not currently emulated by the Synthix atm because this would imply doubling all the signal path, and therefore lead to a major CPU stress. We might find a solution to reduce it by modifying the signal path though, but this can only be made at the occasion of a major update, as its a major modification/added feature

JMJ sound is also processed ( compressor, reverb etc, and eventually a phaser etc )

I based my preset on the Paris Concert version, where the sound is a bit different from the original version of the 46 preset : the filter decay is more pronounced, and the sustain stage more quiet, my feeling is that with a proper compressor it would sound very close to the Paris version ( But I'm definitely biased on this one ). If you want to stick to the original CD version I think its better to raise the sustain of the filter EV, so that the sound remains more brilliant during the sustain stage.

Wich is probably what the guy did in the second video. Imho he made it a bit more of a "simple pluck sound" and it lacks the subtle "warp" of the glide + Filter EV, but basically I'd say it misses the fact that my preset is targeted to be played with double octaves like the original, and that his preset already embed a bit of the double octave feel in the preset itself. But its an interesting variation. So the right comparison should have been : my preset played with double octaves, then his own preset.

As soon as I will create an account on youtube, wich I intend to do to publish videos of my soundbanks, I'l contact him and try to get his preset and include the variation in the Xils factory content or an add on.

Last thing is that when I finally met Paul Wiffen in Paris, and that we compared the Synthix with an original Synthex we could put our hands on ( Courtesy of Stephane Bonvallet from Spectrasonics ) we were all amazed by how identical the Synthix could sound VS the real Synthex in most cases.

Wich was confirmed later by a lot of Synthix users lucky enough to have a real Synthex to compare. This is the same with a comment on the second video, where a guy has a real Synthex, and says that the sound is "Synthexish", besides the fact that it is more, or less, faithfull to the JMJ version of the 46 preset ( or one of JMJ versions ....) Anyway tweaking presets is good and I'm glad this gentleman posted this example wich proves that you can do interesting and valid variations of the preset, and make them sound good.

For what its worth you can listen to my version of the preset, played live with doubled octaves, in one of the individual instruments audio demos on Xils site ( iirc its in the middle of the Leads demo ) and with the complete line and resolution for those who miss the "last notes"

Synthix is not a 100% correct emulation of the Synthex, and will unfortunately never be, even if we intend to push things further at Xils in future updates. But its the closest, and close enough so that we felt that in certain situations, both units were totally indistinguishable. I'd say that if we reached the 95% bar, it would be enough to be one of the more faithfull emulations I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot and myself own some vintage gear ) But here again I might be biased, so I'd suggest each one to make his own idea by testing the demo.

Also please remember that the Synthix goes FAR beyond the Synthex features wise ( And far beyond a lot of other synths as well ) : There are some true innovations and never seen features in the SYnthix !

Thanks for reading,

LtZ
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Tried one back at a mate's in '86...mindblowing!
The best thing about it? The DCOs never went out of tune - a revelation back in the day...

Will be checking out XILS's emulation - good things are being said about it, although I've never been a fan of mod routing options that weren't on the original, such as on the OP-X, FM8, etc.
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

I just missed one on craigslist for 500 dollars from some guy who knew nothing about it.. Fvck fvck fvck.
Old 3rd January 2012
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
I have been accused many times here that I think that Andromeda is the best synth in the world ,obviously because I won one and have defended many times in the past, but the truth is that I would not put it even in the top 10 of the best sounding analogues.

Curently for me there is only 1 synth that goes straight to top 1 , only on the merits of sound quality. Elka Synthex.

To my ears, its sound is extremely huge, awesome and unbelievable.

So I was wondering if there is any luck bastard here that owns one can offer his experience and opinion on this amazing instrument.

I also would like to ask how difficult is to find one, and how much they usually cost.

Thank you sluts.
You can check my blog to anwser your questions Synthesizers and Musical Electronic Instruments Prices in eBay

One think the is not normal is it's rarity!

A knew a girl that use to have one in mid 80s, to play in rednecks partys !
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANZ KAFKA View Post
I just missed one on craigslist for 500 dollars from some guy who knew nothing about it.. Fvck fvck fvck.
alot of these come up on craiglist for really cheao, all are scams so count yourself lucky, anybody who sells via internet listings have the ability to search prices etc. Ive seen 3 of these on ebay in 2011 that sold for well over £6000, ive been offered alot more for mine by a pro musician, but as crazy as it seems i refused, I waited 3 years for this beast and its just the greatest synth ive ever heard and theres no substitute + these are so very rare and i dont think i would get the chance to get another.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
alot of these come up on craiglist for really cheao, all are scams so count yourself lucky, anybody who sells via internet listings have the ability to search prices etc. Ive seen 3 of these on ebay in 2011 that sold for well over £6000, ive been offered alot more for mine by a pro musician, but as crazy as it seems i refused, I waited 3 years for this beast and its just the greatest synth ive ever heard and theres no substitute + these are
so very rare and i dont think i would get the chance to get another.
I was getting out of doing music in my youth about the time the Synthex was coming out. I doubt that many even made it to the states. You could find one shop selling Crumars but Italian synths were incredibly rare.

I have known most of the old analog models from A-Z. I had never even heard of one until coming here a few years ago.

I think if I had to pick one synth it would be the Synthex.

It is amazing that it is from Italy, not a powerhouse for synths. It was also sad that the Synthex was killed off by something like a DX7 (yeah I know Eno likes DX7's for some reason).

It is like Nick Mason's priceless Ferrari GTO being killed off by a Morris Minor or Reliant Robin.
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
I was getting out of doing music in my youth about the time the Synthex was coming out. I doubt that many even made it to the states. You could find one shop selling Crumars but Italian synths were incredibly rare.

I have known most of the old analog models from A-Z. I had never even heard of one until coming here a few years ago.

I think if I had to pick one synth it would be the Synthex.

It is amazing that it is from Italy, not a powerhouse for synths. It was also sad that the Synthex was killed off by something like a DX7 (yeah I know Eno likes DX7's for some reason).

It is like Nick Mason's priceless Ferrari GTO being killed off by a Morris Minor or Reliant Robin.

Yeah i feel so privileged having one.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah i feel so privileged having one.
It is almost like owning a piece of art that can make art. Very select from Italy like a Michaelangelo painting or sculpture. What an amazing sound.

I think John Foxx used a Synthex on The Garden album. I think he was able to take an extended trip to Italy after making Metamatic. Others said it was based on traveling in England. I think he came back to England he did this album and used a Synthex.

John Foxx The Garden - YouTube

An incredibly beautiful song by a great artist.

Gary Numan and John Foxx in conversation with Artrocker Magazine Good Quality Version - YouTube
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

I strongly doubt there's any Synthex on The Garden considering that the album was recorded in spring/summer 1981, over a year before the Synthex appeared on the market. Besides, the first 50 or so Synthexes were not produced until the latter half of '82 (full production began by early 1983 or so).

Anyway, the first recording I know of to feature the Synthex (the prototype) is Fabio Frizzi's soundtrack to the horror-flick "Manhattan Baby" which was recorded in the summer of '82.
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

I don't know what you people mean, dogging Italy like that, there were a few crummy ones, but they have made some fine synths.

Example: completely different animal, but the Farfisa Professional Piano (not remotely like a piano of course) is one of my favorite weapons, and PP's were used a lot by Kraftwerk, Can, Suicide etc- Italian made.

I have only heard recordings, but still really itching to get a Synthex, thanks people! Better pads than a Matrix 12 really? I can't believe that very easily- with the phase filter and complex modulations, I dunno- some synths will do creamier pads than the 12 but not as complex or unique... either way, hmmmm, very interesting! I hope the prices don't keep rising!
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

here's one for sale:

Wavemeister

very well maintained and clean
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
I don't know what you people mean, dogging Italy like that, there were a few crummy ones, but they have made some fine synths.

Example: completely different animal, but the Farfisa Professional Piano (not remotely like a piano of course) is one of my favorite weapons, and PP's were used a lot by Kraftwerk, Can, Suicide etc- Italian made.

I have only heard recordings, but still really itching to get a Synthex, thanks people! Better pads than a Matrix 12 really? I can't believe that very easily- with the phase filter and complex modulations, I dunno- some synths will do creamier pads than the 12 but not as complex or unique... either way, hmmmm, very interesting! I hope the prices don't keep rising!
No doubt Italy made some fine synths. The Crumars were quite good. However, the Synthex is arguably one of the greatest synths made. I knew a guy who owned one and had sold his JP8 and P5 afterwards. He like the Synthex much more.

Oberheim's OBX or others? I don't think so.
Old 28th January 2012
Gear Nut

Franc, im also pretty certain theres no synthex on The Garden, i cant hear any of its sound. Also ive never heard John Foxx use one. It sounds like arp to my ears.

I just stumbled upon this review of the synthex, it also has some sounds. Its a pretty great review, i never realised my synthex had extra features in the sequencer which is missing in the old ones without midi. Its a pretty important feature too. I also did not realise that i could stereo the synthex output by sending one layer out the upper output and the other layer out the lower output. Blimey, as if its not wide enough, with its multimode sweeps and multiple chorus's. I cant wait to try it! so glad i stuck to my guns and declined the offer. Shes here to stay

Elka Synthex – a polyphonic classic | GreatSynthesizers
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
alot of these come up on craiglist for really cheao, all are scams so count yourself lucky, anybody who sells via internet listings have the ability to search prices etc.
I am gonna have to disagree. Not all good deals are scams. Just cause people are able to research there stuff doesn't mean they do. Times are tough and good deals are everywhere.
Old 28th January 2012
agreed but not for Synthex. they are just to damn rare to be found for $300 at a grandma's garage sale who "didn't know what she had".

they were never aplenty in Europe to begin with, let alone in US.. where they were almost non existant, that even a Yamaha CS80 is considered common, compared to Synthex.
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Franc, im also pretty certain theres no synthex on The Garden, i cant hear any of its sound. Also ive never heard John Foxx use one. It sounds like arp to my ears.

I just stumbled upon this review of the synthex, it also has some sounds. Its a pretty great review, i never realised my synthex had extra features in the sequencer which is missing in the old ones without midi. Its a pretty important feature too. I also did not realise that i could stereo the synthex output by sending one layer out the upper output and the other layer out the lower output. Blimey, as if its not wide enough, with its multimode sweeps and multiple chorus's. I cant wait to try it! so glad i stuck to my guns and declined the offer. Shes here to stay

Elka Synthex – a polyphonic classic | GreatSynthesizers
Based on interviews and articles on John Foxx, the following setup was (most likely) used for The Garden album (1981):

ARP Odyssey w/ARP sequencer
Minimoog (unsure)*
Roland VP-330 vocoder/strings
Prophet 5
Roland Jupiter-4
Linn LM-1 (borrowed)
Roland TR-808

Duncan Bridgeman was the owner of the P5 and JP-4.

* I know that Foxx hired in a minimoog for the previous album "Metamatic", and he did have one in the studio while recording
The Golden section album in 1983, but I don't know for certain if he
used one on this album.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search