The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elka Synthex Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

How many people know that the Elka Synthex actually uses DCO's for its oscillators and CEM filters?

Very warm and vintage despite people criticizing DCO's for their stability and those CEM's are found in the Prophets and early Oberheims.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

As an ex-owner of this beloved synth, I can tell you that the chorus is just part of the equation. To me, it slays the Matrix-12 at pads with or w/out the chorus on.

It's not super punchy in the bass department but it's not intended to be a Memorymoog wannabe either. It does use CEMs on the filter section and the envelopes aren't very snappy. Yet, the sound is just gorgeous.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

As I mentioned in the JP-8 thread, I decided that I'm going to sell my Synthex to pay for a second JP-8. I'm on record (in various forums, mailing lists) of saying I think the Synthex is the greatest sounding polysynth ever made, but in the end I prefer the JP-8 because of the better realtime control over the sound (I prefer the left-hand section and arpeggiator of the JP-8 to the joystick, sliders, and sequencer of the Synthex).

So, do I throw it up on eBay or ???

This is an early Synthex and the circuit boards differ from the regular production models. I don't think this is a prototype, but it doesn't have a serial number plate and the boards don't have the first digit (they are labeled 750 instead of 5750 - I may have the numbers off, but you get the idea). It has been fully recapped (power supply and all boards) and sounds wonderful.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
As I mentioned in the JP-8 thread, I decided that I'm going to sell my Synthex to pay for a second JP-8. I'm on record (in various forums, mailing lists) of saying I think the Synthex is the greatest sounding polysynth ever made, but in the end I prefer the JP-8 because of the better realtime control over the sound (I prefer the left-hand section and arpeggiator of the JP-8 to the joystick, sliders, and sequencer of the Synthex).

This is an early Synthex and the circuit boards differ from the regular production models. I don't think this is a prototype, but it doesn't have a serial number plate and the boards don't have the first digit (they are labeled 750 instead of 5750 - I may have the numbers off, but you get the idea). It has been fully recapped (power supply and all boards) and sounds wonderful.
sell it to me!
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
The link in post #16 lets you download the manual, which gives some useful details about how the delays are modulated. I used the info to create a Nord G2 chorus patch that uses the same configuration (screen shot attached). It doesn't sound exactly like the chorus in the Elka Synthex soundclips yet, but just a bit more tweaking should get very close. I can't attach G2 patch files here, but if anyone has a G2 and wants the patch, shoot me a PM or email and I'll send it to you.

I am very very interested , please send it to my email **** (see below) or pm me , both will do just fine. And thank you 1000 times.

EMAIL:

Last edited by Don Solaris; 1st April 2010 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: changed e-mail link into a picture (to prevent spambots)
Old 1st April 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
You know i would take it but I can't offer that much how you can fetch on ebay. You'd better bay it. Good luck with the sale. thumbsup
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Does it have MIDI?
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
I am very very interested , please send it to my email **** (see below) or pm me , both will do just fine. And thank you 1000 times.

EMAIL:
Email sent with G2 patch. Enjoy!
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
Does it have MIDI?
No MIDI. Based on the photos of the production model, this one is different in the casing too - no stuff on the side of the wood to mount to a stand and the bottom is completely made of the same wood as the rest of the case.
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
Aaaahhh stereo in as well now.....no, no don´t do this to me

Now I REALLY have to get one

btw, would be cool to incorporate the Synthex multimode filter based on the CEM 3320 in other CEM 3320 polys...like OB-Xa, P5 etc

CEM3320 Filter designs
(scroll down to the Synthex design)

Allrighty...get me a tech ASAP heh
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Am I the only one who thinks that demo posted sounds like a Juno?

It has way more control options, but the character sounds like a Juno to my ears. Crazy money for a DCO synth.

Scott
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogholic View Post
Aaaahhh stereo in as well now.....no, no don´t do this to me

Now I REALLY have to get one

btw, would be cool to incorporate the Synthex multimode filter based on the CEM 3320 in other CEM 3320 polys...like OB-Xa, P5 etc

CEM3320 Filter designs
(scroll down to the Synthex design)

Allrighty...get me a tech ASAP heh
This might get you close:

Matrix Filter 68B
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
Email sent with G2 patch. Enjoy!
Can't thank you enough
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam View Post
To me, it slays the Matrix-12 at pads with or w/out the chorus on.
Easy now...

Amazon.com : Music Sampler

All M12...Gorgeous !!!

And for those of you who have spotify:

Allan Holdsworth – Distance Vs. Desire

I would say that the Matrix-12 SMOKES the Synthex and more or less everything else as well when it comes to pads...YMMV
Old 11th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogholic View Post
Easy now...

Amazon.com : Music Sampler

All M12...Gorgeous !!!

And for those of you who have spotify:

Allan Holdsworth – Distance Vs. Desire

I would say that the Matrix-12 SMOKES the Synthex and more or less everything else as well when it comes to pads...YMMV
Let's put it this way. They are both great synths but I obviously prefer the Synthex. If you have tried both, it really becomes a matter of taste rather than feature sets.
Old 12th June 2011
Gear Nut

Hi all, ive recently become a proud owner of an elka synthex. However i cant seem to get it working. It switches on but theres no functionality or sound working. None of the LED's come on. Ive checked the fuses and all seem fine. I have just purchased a multimeter and getting hold of the schematics but my head is completely puzzled. I have no electronic skills and no analog synth repair skills.

Ive just joined gearslutz and not sure if ive posted this in the correct place, my apologies if i have not.

Will be happy to contribute in taking pics and offering a step by step repair of the synthex if someoone can guide me through it.
Old 12th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daylon Faine View Post
Hi all, ive recently become a proud owner of an elka synthex. However i cant seem to get it working. It switches on but theres no functionality or sound working. None of the LED's come on. Ive checked the fuses and all seem fine. I have just purchased a multimeter and getting hold of the schematics but my head is completely puzzled. I have no electronic skills and no analog synth repair skills.

Ive just joined gearslutz and not sure if ive posted this in the correct place, my apologies if i have not.

Will be happy to contribute in taking pics and offering a step by step repair of the synthex if someoone can guide me through it.
Ok. Can you check the output of the power supply... Check if you have the right voltages as per the service manual.

Report back and let me know what you come up with...

AK
Old 12th June 2011
Gear Nut

Will do, thanks again.

I could not believe how massive and heavy this monster was when i received it! Its a beauty, i cant wait to hear its sound.
Old 12th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will do, thanks again.

I could not believe how massive and heavy this monster is when i received it! Its a beauty, i cant wait to hear its sound.
It sounds phenomenal, in a word.

Hopefully you got it cheap
Old 13th June 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by backindauk View Post
Ok. Can you check the output of the power supply... Check if you have the right voltages as per the service manual.

Report back and let me know what you come up with...

AK
ive printed of the service manual and looking at the block diagram, it shows the power supply with 5 different readings +5v +12v -12v +2,5v +6,8v - is this what i should be looking at? Ive never used a multimeter before to test anything other than continuity. Is it possible to give me some step by step guidance on how to use it to check the output? one thing i have noticed however, is that on the Power supply their is no lead connected to the lowest prong and on the PCB i only have 2 fuses, one has been removed from the board including its housing, it seems the missing fuse should connect to this prong although their is a connection from the underneath of the pcb to an external free floating fuse housed in a black fuse case. It seems this has taken the place of the missing 3rd fuse as it shares the same rating.
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
ive printed of the service manual and looking at the block digram, it shows the power supply with 5 different readings +5v +12v -12v +2,5v +6,8v - is this what i should be looking at? Ive never used a multimeter before to test anything other than continuity. Is it possible to give me some step by step guidance on how to use it to check the output? one thing i have noticed however, is that on the Power supply their is no lead connected to the lowest prong and on the PCB i only have 2 fuses, ione has been removed from the board including its housing, t seems the missing fuse should connect to this prong although their is a connection from the underneath of the pcb to an external free floating fuse housed in a black fuse case. It seems this has taken the place of the missing 3rd fuse as it shares the same rating.
Can you take a picture of the PSU board and upload? There are a couple of different revisions...

Basically, you will want to connect the (-/black lead) to the ground and then the red lead to the positive voltage terminal that you want to test. I will get the relevant part of the manual ready.
Old 13th June 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by backindauk View Post
Can you take a picture of the PSU board and upload? There are a couple of different revisions...

Basically, you will want to connect the (-/black lead) to the ground and then the red lead to the positive voltage terminal that you want to test. I will get the relevant part of the manual ready.
sure no problem, how do you upload pics exactly? if its easier i can email you them?

thanks
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
sure no problem, how do you upload pics exactly? if its easier i can email you them?

thansk
to upload a picture you need to convert it to a jpeg file and then use the file upload feature which is located below the "submit reply" buttons.

Sure - you can send them to me at work or on the email in my signature.
andrew.kirkby AT au.fujitsu.com
Old 13th June 2011
Gear Nut

here are the pics, hope these are okay
Attached Thumbnails
Elka Synthex-p1060146a.jpg   Elka Synthex-p1060150a.jpg   Elka Synthex-p1060151a.jpg   Elka Synthex-p1060152a.jpg  
Old 13th June 2011
Gear Nut

ive also posted the pics to your email address so you can enlarge them if necessary.

Thanks
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Off topic or ... not so off topic you'll decide ....

but Xils-Lab is about to release the first Synthex emulation

Some details here :

XILS-lab - X-Synth

More details later

LtZ
Old 13th June 2011
Gear Nut

well it looks as if the power supply is faulty, a couple of the readings seem fine but the others im getting nothing at all. Can anyone recommend a replacement power supply?
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
well it looks as if the power supply is faulty, a couple of the readings seem fine but the others im getting nothing at all. Can anyone recommend a replacement power supply?
You will need to fix the one that is in there. I'll get a parts list for you.
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotuZia View Post
Off topic or ... not so off topic you'll decide ....

but Xils-Lab is about to release the first Synthex emulation

Some details here :

XILS-lab - X-Synth

More details later

LtZ
Whoa! I am not big on emulations/VSTs but sadly I will never own a real Synthex. It has become one of my fave synths. The sounds, at least on that one well known demo, is gorgeous. One of the best sounding synths ever.

I will check out the XILS lab emulation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search