The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
recreating a sound
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

recreating a sound

This is a sample I was referring to on a different thread that had a slow attack.. I kinda want to scrap the sound all together so I was wondering how I could recreate this sound with a vst synth.. It has a nice snap to it, which I would like to be able to recreate.. any tips would be great!
Attached Files

beep sound.mp3 (151.0 KB, 1956 views)

Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
This is a sample I was referring to on a different thread that had a slow attack.. I kinda want to scrap the sound all together so I was wondering how I could recreate this sound with a vst synth.. It has a nice snap to it, which I would like to be able to recreate.. any tips would be great!

You've made this, decided you don't like it, now you want to recreate it??

I'm guessing you mean this was a ready made loop, but you've gone off the pattern/melody... but still like the sound and wish to program your own part??

If so, you've got a few options.

BY FAR the easiest is to cut a single hit from this phrase you've posted. Stick it into a sampler, tune its root note by holding a guitar tuner next to your speakers, then mapping it across your keyboard range.

How attached are you to THIS EXACT timbre?...

It's not a MILLION miles away from an 808 conga... if you dig through loads of synth/drum machine conga samples, you'll probably find one pretty close

tbh, I've no idea how to synthesise this sound from scratch, but I'd speculate you could get close with a simple triangle wave, with fairly short times on its amplitude envelope.

If you are happy for a similar sound that's not exactly the same, you can probably find a satisfactory preset in one of the following synths:

U-he Zebra
FM8
Logic's Sculpture
Ableton's Collision
FXpansion DCAM Cypher

... all of which are excellent for pitched percussion.

Sorry I can't tell you straight out how to simply synthesise this, which is all you were asking... I'm sure other slutz can nail this no probs.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

... Could even perhaps be as simple as a sine wave in there.

Maybe try a blend of sine & triangle... with fast attack & decay, and a touch of sustain & release on the amp envelope.

... Possibly with a hint of a fixed fifth interval (seven semitones) chord... difficult to say as it fires so quickly. But I think probably not.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If your sound is abit slow, you can can use a gate together with a compressor to make it more snappy.

This sound , seems like a triangle and a sine with fast attack and maybe a fast lfo on the cutoff.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

I dunno, its one of those things where it sounds good when I'm working on my track for a while, but when I first listen to it the next day or whatever, it sounds kinda off when the beep sound comes in. I'll post a 30 sec clip of the part of the track where the beep sound comes in.. its right after a short two bar breakdown.. see for yourself.. you can here how it slows the groove down.. i think anyways..
Attached Files

beep sound in track.mp3 (1.16 MB, 128 views)

Last edited by mullet; 30th March 2010 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: .
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

This is not to do with your attack... it's all timing.

cut this loop up into slices (Recycle/ableton beats warp/simple audio track/whatever), then move the slices around until it sounds how you want it.

I know what you are talking about... you just need that down beat of the loop to come in earlier so it leads into the kick... but if you drag the whole loop it's going to mess things up.

Just re-groove it.

Fricking awesome sound btw... I'm really impressed. If you had your kick at a decent level in the mix (about double the volume it's at now) you'd have a decent track right there.

Nice production.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonator View Post
This is not to do with your attack... it's all timing.

cut this loop up into slices (Recycle/ableton beats warp/simple audio track/whatever), then move the slices around until it sounds how you want it.

I know what you are talking about... you just need that down beat of the loop to come in earlier so it leads into the kick... but if you drag the whole loop it's going to mess things up.

Just re-groove it.

Fricking awesome sound btw... I'm really impressed. If you had your kick at a decent level in the mix (about double the volume it's at now) you'd have a decent track right there.

Nice production.
Thanks I really appreciate your feedback and I can attribute a lot of the quality to YOUR tips and help... Does the beep sound in key to you tho?. You think the kick needs to be that much louder? I guess the bassline would have to come up as well...
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

That sounds great man! Have you tried even playing with the level of that beep sound? I bet if you brought it down a bit, the groove may remain? Im no expert on this kinda music, its just my 2 cents, but I figured it would be worth a shot! And yeah, like Simonator said, definitely bring up the levels a bit..... Pull the beep sound down in the mix so it sits a bit nicer with the groove, even throw a bit of swing on it, and you may find that the groove returns!

Good luck!

alexP
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
That sounds great man! Have you tried even playing with the level of that beep sound? I bet if you brought it down a bit, the groove may remain? Im no expert on this kinda music, its just my 2 cents, but I figured it would be worth a shot! And yeah, like Simonator said, definitely bring up the levels a bit..... Pull the beep sound down in the mix so it sits a bit nicer with the groove, even throw a bit of swing on it, and you may find that the groove returns!

Good luck!

alexP

I'll try bringing up the levels in my kick and bass first to see how the beep sits.. I think if I brought up the kick AND lowered the beep, it may just disappear..
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks I really appreciate your feedback and I can attribute a lot of the quality to YOUR tips and help... Does the beep sound in key to you tho?. You think the kick needs to be that much louder? I guess the bassline would have to come up as well...
Lol ;-)

Sounds perfectly fine musically to me.

Did you get that oscilloscope I recommended to you?

Drag some finished tunes by producers you like into your arrange window and see where the kick peaks in relation to the rest of the track.
... Saying that... the kick will be at 0.0dBFS.... so a better way of putting it is see how far up the rest of the track comes in relation to the kick!

I think you'll find most released tracks have a lot more relative power in the kick than yours does at present.

... THEN consider that these finished tracks have been mastered (and therefore chances are limited).... so imagine how much louder the kick was relative to the track BEFORE mastering.

Just do a simple A/B comparison to LISTEN to the difference between yours and a released track.... IMO you need much more punch AND weight... basically just lots more volume.... then the track will work much better... currently it feels like a 'dummy' kick as a production trick to tease us before the real kick comes hammering in!

What monitors are you listening on? You really want some 8" to be able to hear the lows properly.

I commonly find I'll have my kick at DOUBLE the dBFS of the bass.... but then once the mastering engineer has done his business, there can sometimes be very little difference as the kicks get squashed & the bass pulled up relatively.

I'd suggest you don't NORMALLY want the bass at the same level as the kick when composing/mixing.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonator View Post
Lol ;-)

Sounds perfectly fine musically to me.

Did you get that oscilloscope I recommended to you?

Drag some finished tunes by producers you like into your arrange window and see where the kick peaks in relation to the rest of the track.
... Saying that... the kick will be at 0.0dBFS.... so a better way of putting it is see how far up the rest of the track comes in relation to the kick!

I think you'll find most released tracks have a lot more relative power in the kick than yours does at present.

... THEN consider that these finished tracks have been mastered (and therefore chances are limited).... so imagine how much louder the kick was relative to the track BEFORE mastering.

Just do a simple A/B comparison to LISTEN to the difference between yours and a released track.... IMO you need much more punch AND weight... basically just lots more volume.... then the track will work much better... currently it feels like a 'dummy' kick as a production trick to tease us before the real kick comes hammering in!

What monitors are you listening on? You really want some 8" to be able to hear the lows properly.

I commonly find I'll have my kick at DOUBLE the dBFS of the bass.... but then once the mastering engineer has done his business, there can sometimes be very little difference as the kicks get squashed & the bass pulled up relatively.

I'd suggest you don't NORMALLY want the bass at the same level as the kick when composing/mixing.

Yeah I did download the oscilloscope called the s(M)exoscope, right?

So what I did was load a well produced track onto an audio channel (we'll call AC) and slapped the oscilloscope on there to check the waveform against the oscilloscope waveform on my master channel of my track (with AC off)... What I noticed is that the waveform of AC was fuller, almost square, whereas the waveform of my track was smaller cone shaped waveforms, so I brought up the volume of the kick to sorta match the waveform of AC, however I cant seem to match it.. Theres way more peaks to the waveform of AC, and a lot more valleys to my own tracks waveform.. I'm assuming this is the effects of having the track mastered?

Is this waveform illustration mainly derived from the kick volume?

The sample I posted earlier had my kick set at -12db.. I brought that up to about -6db... It seems to be louder and punchier.. I also had to back off the threshold on my kick/bass buss compressor as well..

Now, I DO have some mastering already in place on my track, as I generally like to work this way thru a track, so it sounds better and closer to how it'll sound after its fully mastered...

Also, I'm using dynaudio bm6a monitors and a krk 10s sub.

Last edited by mullet; 31st March 2010 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: .
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

so I think I figured out what the problem was with the beep sound.. Its not the right note.. I slapped melodyne on my bass and discovered it to be C#, and my beep sound was C, which explains why it seemed to sound slower or have a slower attack, so I pitched it up to C#.. I think it sounds better now but i dont know.. I'm going insane trying to get this damn sound to sit right.. have a listen..

Also, my kick has been brought up to -6db, from -12db...
Attached Files
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dunno, its one of those things where it sounds good when I'm working on my track for a while, but when I first listen to it the next day or whatever, it sounds kinda off when the beep sound comes in. I'll post a 30 sec clip of the part of the track where the beep sound comes in.. its right after a short two bar breakdown.. see for yourself.. you can here how it slows the groove down.. i think anyways..
Sounds like an analog tom like Simon says.

I'm just guessing you're using a premade drum loop? It's not the best way to learn arrangement. Really.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Addict

sound to me like one of my Enveloped FM sounds from nord modular g2 2 sine oscs or one sine and as modulator whatever wave BUT for this PUNCHY attack in the beginning you need some envelope for modulator osc pitch

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search