The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Going soft??????? Yep, finally seen the light. yippeeeeee! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

Going soft??????? Yep, finally seen the light. yippeeeeee!

Why I choose VSTs over hardware

1 – Face it, I love instant. Instant instant instant. What I cannot stand is learning curves. Each hardware synth requires a learning curve where if your all in the box you learn the DAW what you have to learn anyhow for the hardware and that’s it. You’re done. The technology never gets in the way.

2 – Interested in a new plug in? Well trial it with a new demo version. Try trialing hardware. Buy the time you’d done the learning curve it would be time to take it back. That’s if it was even feasible to do this.

3 – No need to learn wires or MIDI or have them hanging everywhere.

4 – Space saving. No need to fill up your room with huge hard synths.

5 – Electricity saving. Instead of having to turn on and boot up a tone of outboard you just switch on your DAW, DAC and Mons.

6 – No need for an expensive mixer or expensive multi in out soundcard as its already in the box.

7 – Instant recall of all your presets and settings.

8 – Facility to be able to back up the above instant recalls and sets to a disk.

9 – Price. In 1990 as £250,000 is now available on a Mac for well under 5 grand. (and then some)

Ok, so what does hardware do better?

1 – Cant beat the hands on feel of a dedicated synth with dedicated knobs. How Id wish they would make dedicated controllers for soft synths.

2 – Hardware looks way cooler towards other geeks. Face it, no girls are exactly going to swoon over a guy with a large keyboard collection, infact quite the opposite. You may as well mention your into stamp collecting.
Guess im a geek as I think hardware looks superb. My wife and her friends see it all as irritating clutter.

3 – ermm – ok scraping here, sentimental reasons. I grew up in the early 90’s and hardware was a big thing back then. Suppose you’re a product of you environment. This is hardly a plus but I cant think of anything else.

4 – Hardware sounds better. Hmmm, not the VA stuff or anything digital anymore. Certainly 10 years ago but now the gap is 1% at best. I will say Analogues still should better, but in my circles music has pushed forward in directions now different to analogue probably because of this. Early 90’s you couldn’t move for the 101 and Juno 106. These days I struggle to find how to older classic stuff these days (I make trance predominantly.)
Give me Predator and a Vangaurd and Ill give you trance. Give me a 60/106 and a 101 that costs twice as much and ill give you something very limited.

To compare with an Andy A6 and a Voyager is more a fair comparison. In this respect I totally agree the hardware sounds better but then again at £5000 for just two instruments it should blow my macbook pro out of the park. It doesn’t. Its 25% better at absolute best. For the 5 grand I have a macbook pro, Focal Twins, Apogee DAC, Room Treatment, Logic Pro, Piano action controller, etc etc. For 25%?

Summery:-

As much as the above is wrote from a Software lovers point of view I am actually a hardcore synth addict for the days of acid and techno.

However the final final final straw came yesterday when I tried to get my JPs filter to be controlled from live. I put 6 hours into this. I gave up. Downloaded a demo of Vangaurd (an low budget soft synth) and within 5 minutes I had it sorted without any manual or socks and shoes off.

As such I have to acknowledge my sentimentality is getting isn the way of my productions. I sooooooooooooo don’t want this to be true.

As such if anyone wants to buy my Ti, 60, JP, MOTU 24, Kenton Pro 2000 give me a shout. I know where im putting my money.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

You're into trance, the only hardware you need is a nord modular. The rest you can do better in the box.

Now you're not only doing the same as everyone else, it will also sound like everything else. I suggest you go for Reason as daw. It will definately make your music faceless.

Congratulations, now you have nothing to put you apart except musically better tracks than everyone else.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

OP, you are sooo right... Hardware is no good, I mean... why the hell would they be expecting 60,000 for a buchla on ebay right now???

Ridiculous.... leave the analog synths for the suckers and take you VST's
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

ha, sarcasum.

Do you really think because I have a 60, a Ti and a JP I sound any different to people mixing in the box??

Really???
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

P.S. You are the reason Trance SUCKS
:p
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

hardware is no good for me.

You spend you 60,0000 on ebay. Ill take the family on a world cruise.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
ha, sarcasum.

Do you really think because I have a 60, a Ti and a JP I sound any different to people mixing in the box??

Really???
Yes and more. But it's a big debate. Unless that JP is a 8000/8080

Again, now at least you have to make better tracks than everyone else, that is a good thing.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

no one any serious points?

Van burrin mixes totally within the box. Suppose trance sucks because of him too?
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

there is nothing my Ti and my JP can do that a very humble VST cannot do.

There all just digital synths.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
no one any serious points?

Van burrin mixes totally within the box. Suppose trance sucks because of him too?
You make the correct suppostition in my opinion.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

???????
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

If having the old syths there doesn't inspire you then sell them, you dont deserve them.

Sure maybe they are limited compared to VST's ... but why are those limits BAD? maybe you have to learn to work within those limits.

Think outside the box.l pun intended.
Old 27th March 2010
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

With a silver spoon:

Van Buuren is much the reason why trance sucks.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

each to there own. Im not trying to tear you away. But I have seen the way forward for myself.

With hardware the technology always seems to get in the way.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

P.S. Van Buren seems like a ****** to me
:p
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetty View Post
With a silver spoon:

Van Buuren is much the reason why trance sucks.
hahaha he looks like he would be in weekend at bernies VI
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
each to there own. Im not trying to tear you away. But I have seen the way forward for myself.

With hardware the technology always seems to get in the way.
Good luck when you have to choose sounds and effects between 150 synths, 247 compressors, 0 decent reverbs, 6434 different small effects and tools.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

hmmmm, you guys are bordering trolling here.

Van Burrin's show ASOT is one of the reasons trance is so successful
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Good luck when you have to choose sounds and effects between 150 synths, 247 compressors, 0 decent reverbs, 6434 different small effects and tools.

again - ??????
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmmmm, you guys are bordering trolling here.

Van Burrin's show ASOT is one of the reasons trance is so successful
Forced child labour is one of the reasons why Cocaine is so successful among plumbers and shop attendands (keeps the price down).
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetty View Post
This is what I'm saying... sometimes having too many options "gets in the way".... limitations also make it easy to make decisions.

80% of decision making in audio is unnecessary... learn how to write a song and play a keyboard..
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

well then limit your pool of effects daft arse!!

Jetty - have you got a point??? You baffle me
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

this argument is pointless... you are saying that one is better than another when they are in fact 2 totally different things.

Hardware synths aren't VST's...
if you think VST's truly sounds better than analog then you are just wrong.

I say use both... if you really need the control that VST's offer then use the VST. I use both and find it very rewarding
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
well then limit your pool of effects daft arse!!

Jetty - have you got a point??? You baffle me
I've been down the VST road just to find that everyone else was there with me and we were all blinded by so much VST(i) that there was no more music, just programs. Same point as Tyler's.

And just so you know where today's trance comes from:

spotify:track:2o2efsNHB0vtPlyfqk3zhu
spotify:track:23Je6ShOvIMht4QPAkhcL8

That's the sound that made the jilted generation see the lights (that, MDMA and LSD). Not Sash or Energy 52. That's pop.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

I applaud your change for the fact that this is what you feel is best for you. I like the move. I think I'd rather have software than digital hardware most of the time too. Simplicity is definitely a good way to go. Workflow is important and if hardware is hurting that, then it is definitely time to move on. Everything all in one spot is very streamlined.

I just won't do it because I would need to buy hardware to have the instant knobage tweaking I need. In that case, I'd rather have a full synth. Each piece of hardware I have I use in different ways, even though they're all synths, it's because each interface causes me to use it differently. Most important, is sound. You can master a turd, but everyone knows what was mastered. Analog synths jump out of the speakers and say loudly 'hey, listen to me'.

I have friend hated the digital vocoders they used in his previous band he played in . He always said they sounded like crap. And while I wouldn't say that, and like the effect of vocoding either way, hearing analog vocoding has made me realize I'm not going with lifeless digital vocoding ever. You can hear organic quality of an analog vocoder, not so with digital.

I would probably still be pretty happy going with only soft synths, but I would miss the analog. You should check out Omnisphere, that's one of the best softies I've bought.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
this argument is pointless... you are saying that one is better than another when they are in fact 2 totally different things.
^^ What argument? Just posting how I now see it and why.

Quote:
Hardware synths aren't VST's...
If you honestly think a VST and a Ti or JP or any other digital synth are different to VSTs apart from the fact they are tangible then id say your mistaken. There all just digital synths and sound quality is the same. (Again in my original post)

Quote:
if you think VST's truly sounds better than analog then you are just wrong.
I dont. Thats why I said analogues sound up to 25% better than VSTs (Again in my original post!!!)

Quote:
I say use both... if you really need the control that VST's offer then use the VST. I use both and find it very rewarding
I say do whats right for the individual. As I am doing.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

@ Rids,

Thanks for your intelligent post.

I accept some of your views are slightly different and am pleased you can see mine.

Anyone else with a brain like Rids also welcome
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

I can honestly not believe tyler.

He thinks VA synths like the Ti and the JP sound different to any VST and openly preaches this crap.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Manipulated post, let's have fun!

Kola my man, you're on a hardware fetishist forum boldly posting why hardware is starting to suck and you're changing to software. Now, let's play a bit with your original post.

For the sake of the game, we pretend that you are a man, a bisexual man. You hang on a forum for gay and bisexual people called..uhmm....Gayslutz.com

Here's your post, VERY edited

-------------------------------
Why I choose women over men

1 – Face it, I love instant. Instant instant instant. What I cannot stand is hard curves. The pussy never gets in the way.

2 – Interested in a new woman? Well trial her after clubbing. Try trialing men. Buy the time you’d done the learning curve it would be time to take it back. That’s if it was even feasible to do this.

3 – No need to learn penises or have them hanging everywhere.

4 – Space saving. No need to fill up your room with huge hard cocks.

5 – Energy saving. Women eat less

6 – No need for expensive toys as its already in the box.

7 – Instant recall of all your preferences (just give flowers)

Ok, so what does men do better?

1 – Cant beat the hands on feel of a cock with dedicated knobs. How Id wish they would make dedicated controllers for women.

2 – ermm – ok scraping here, sentimental reasons. I grew up in the early 90’s and men was a big thing back then. Suppose you’re a product of you environment. This is hardly a plus but I cant think of anything else.

Summery:-

As much as the above is wrote from a women's lovers point of view I am actually a hardcore sex addict for the days of acid and techno.

However the final final final straw came yesterday when I tried to get my men to be controlled from live. I put 6 hours into this. I gave up. Met a woman (an low budget bar) and within 5 minutes I had it sorted without any manual or socks and shoes off.

As such I have to acknowledge my sentimentality is getting isn the way of my sex. I sooooooooooooo don’t want this to be true.
----------------

Did it ever occur to you that the other people on this gay and bisexual forum would make a reaction?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search