The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Going soft??????? Yep, finally seen the light. yippeeeeee! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 31st March 2010
  #211
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
325 quid. Yikes. On the flipside, hes based in Kent where my mum lives so I guess when I go home for christmas I'll check in the Xpander on a Ryanair flight, pay the 120 euros and get it serviced when I'm tucking into xmas nosh? I dunno. Scared to think what it'll cost to get VCOs/VCFs replaced.

Also, really don't like the idea of leaving an Xpander on the runway. I had to do that with a Taylor 712 last year but that can take knocks in a hardcase. Weird things happen when its an analogue synth kissing the asphalt...
Old 31st March 2010
  #212
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
In any way, you'll be $150 poorer
That was my point.

Quote:
(and even more; if you put those $1850 on the bank you'd have interest accumulating on it, or you could spend it on different things).
All the more reasons to go software! heh
Old 31st March 2010
  #213
Lives for gear
 

Interest rates are **** these days. I get like a couple of quid every quarter or something. So the only way you are ever going to benefit from interest is if you are flush to begin with and if you are flush then ehhh, a Synthex is chump change compared to pre war Martins and vintage LPs. You can put a Synthex on your platinum card so no biggie.
Old 31st March 2010
  #214
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
Or you could ask, in a few years, do you want to hassle over what updates you need and ensure everything works properly, or do you want to flip the power switch and start playing?
That's another point entirely.

But I'm pretty sure my current system will still boot up in a few years and work exactly like it does today.
Old 31st March 2010
  #215
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
On the other hand, it'd become a hell of a lot easier to create some gigantic kludge of effects routing and splitting. Your mixer would already be modular, and ideally would already have splitting/layering options up the wazoo, because MIDI processors would be plugins, too.
Exactly.

it should go
multi-channel master sequence
multi-channel sequencing plugins (arps, step sequencers, phrase sequencers, karma type stuff, etc--would be cool to 'send' a given sequence channel to another strip for crazy layering type things, or have a virtual jazz drummer feed off a piano, in real time.)
multi-channel sound generation (midi out via sound diver, soft synth frame)
multi-channel x-in y-out audio processing

what would be nice is instead of the soft synth piece, we use a midi out plugin (??? latency / jitter prone ???) to control a given hw box, which then could be attached to an audio input so the x-in y-out audio processors just plug right along on top of whatever comes in. no more audio / midi /soft synth track: it's just *track*. sends should also be plugins so that there is precise control over when data is sent. traditional send? plop it on after the volume. Maybe just after eq but before track compression? Plop it right there.

do that in real time w/high powered ultra realistic convolution models of pres, gain staging, pans, console summing, bussing etc and I dont see modern 8 core hw keeping up! but that would be some next gen magic bs
Old 10th June 2010
  #216
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetty View Post
Good luck when you have to choose sounds and effects between 150 synths, 247 compressors, 0 decent reverbs, 6434 different small effects and tools.
The paradox of choice! I think one or two good VSTs have their place, same as a different types of hard synth. I'd never want to go solely software (I'm lying, I did just that back in early 2000s for a year or two and I ended up going off music after that as it felt like 'everything' was possible, and 'anyone' could achieve it through software, purely a trick of the mind of course it does take talent... when I have my hands on the keys and feel hardware It keeps me sane). I play guitar as well though so I always had that lifeline back outside the box.

btw: Lexicon PCM software reverbs?

I can see why a nice simple VST setup works for some, it is very convenient that can't be denied, I worry however about the way VSTS can mush up all together and possible lack of depth compared to routing in real hardware, though some like to take VSTs out of the box and back in for that reason. Maybe one day we'll know conclusively (or not) if all sound sources in one box (VSTS only) dulls the overall sound and depth of a full mix.
Old 10th June 2010
  #217
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
ok as a dedicated hardware guy, i think i'm with the op.. i'm moving back to soft...

main reason? the name of the game in music is no longer the highest fidelity...

do u realize how really special your tracks (and more important, your marketing plan) would have to be to get the average music consumer to actually get a .wav (or cd) of one of your tunes?

even if you are a pretty heavy indie artist these days, the odds anyone is ever going to hear anything new from you in other than mp3 format are slim and none.

and, not only that, tracks simply do not have value anymore.

i mean, in the olden days, it made sense for pink floyd or led zeppelin or yes or whoever to record in a castle and spend 4 days setting up drum sounds etc etc, because they were hoping to sell 5 million lp's.

nowadays, the BEST we can hope for is that a few thousand people will RIP OFF your music via mp3, or access it on youtube or whatever, and that will increase your name recognition and you'll be able to go do live shows and sell t shirts with your logo on them.

since the tracks are free and basically business cards, and since mp3's compress the sound anyway, the name of the game is SPEED and i'm sorry, having a room full of hardware and an analog desk gets in the way of speed.

and the improvement in sound is really diminishing returns in this market. we have to adapt.
This is a very interesting, and probably fairly accurate post. From the POV of marketing reality and end listeners who will give the time of day to small time artists.

From the musicians point of view however (I.E mine) it's not always just about getting product to market asap, or pleasing 'fans'. Yes it's a part of it, especially if you are trying to build serious momentum. But is this why we got into *music*? My entire interest in music, recording, songwriting and releasing songs to the world came about due to my interest in keyboards (ergo synthesizers once I could afford them). Had I only had software and a computer back in the 80s as a kid, I feel for me to have been excited about music it would have been for possibly the wrong reasons. The 'idea of fame' or creating a product for a market, or even to get enough PR so I could earn a living from playing live shows after giving away my music for free...

... but music, to me at least, is a love and it's something I do regardless of anyone else (whether 1,000,000 listeners or 1 listener) and part of that love is being able to place my hands on an INSTRUMENT of some description from time to time. Guitars and a Keyboard. Sure.. OK a midi controller to a VST would suffice, as I said further up, I did spend a few years that way (1 controller and guitar + VSTs) and I did get some results, but it really did loose steam after a while, unlike hardware (especially constant buying/selling/inspiration loop of getting old 'dream' hardware and writing a handful of tracks with it).

You can do that with VSTs, I have been inspired by (a limited number of) VSTs, and even programmed patches for a couple (though far less than I do for my hard synths). And it's not even the hands off thing of software for me that stops me creating, it is the paradox of choice. It's just too easy to be swamped with new VST release news almost daily, new demos, new free vsts etc. VSTs have their place, but so does real hardware of some kind (that is, if you are a musician first rather than a producer first).

So it boils down to there being too many types of person involved in music to say 'this is the best way' and be 100% correct. The only thing we can debate is whether the sound quality of soft v hard is tangible, and whether all synths coming from the same box creates a lack of depth in a mix.

I'm more interested for example if a fully software mix tends to sound duller, flatter and lifeless compared to bringing in 'some' hardware to liven it up.

And some will always love to have real hardware around (even it sounds identical/worse than VST) while others much prefer the slick uncluttered feel of a laptop studio and no hardware... the paradox of choice that is very common in the software world is also possible when you surround yourself with too many synths, I've felt it from time to time even with my limited number of synths (and even less commonly used soft synths).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
I find it very telling that he is interested in making this type of "trance" and in particular the stuff played on ASOT. Most of the stuff played on that show tends to be very formulaic and bland.
Another good point (not having a dig at 'trance' even though it's one of my least favourite kinds of music). The blanket statement of hard vs soft rarely takes into account the TYPE of music someone is making. And yeah I probably agree that for the OP it's no big deal swapping all to software, it may up his productivity and get him 'closer to that ideal' sound without lots of messing around with things like 'learning to wire' *cough*.

If you are a more traditional rock/pop/electronic artist you do whatever FEELS good to do. Speed and return on investment are rarely your primary concern, we'd all love to knock out songs quicker but the process, attention and love that goes into writing/recording them is all part of the love of music and the quality of the end song. Have to agree with others who have said, there will never be a right way for everyone. Only your way. The rest comes down to a soft v hard synth sound quality AND importantly a mix depth/width/life comparison. For example, even if it was scientifically proven that every piece of classic hardware had now been 100% perfectly emulated in software, many of us would still choose the hardware because we spend ENOUGH time on the mouse/screen during editing/mixing (and 10000 things we do on computers daily).

it's 4am here, I'm tired and I can't even remember what I wrote 30 seconds ago so forgive me if any of this sounds like BS. It probably is.
Old 10th June 2010
  #218
Im gonna go ahead and say it



There is TODAY a direct INVERSE CORRELATION between sales and the quality of the music.

The more records sold: the ****ter the music. (correlation, so this is not true 100%)

People are stupid. People buy **** they are force-fed by the media.

Millions of a **** cds get sold every year while I am amazed by that one track an unknown guy puts up on the internet, and classical music sales are down the ****ing abyss.

MUSIC IS DYING!
THE INDUSTRY IS UGLY AND BAD

If you can ****ing find your music in a non-franchised store without a guy named steve who hasnt shaved in months or looks stoned then the music you buy is just plain bad!

So what does this have to do with software?

Intention

People go itb to be faster and make things easier

Others go otb to look for unique sounds, textures, timbres, feels, mixes and unheard combinations.
Old 10th June 2010
  #219
Lives for gear
 
OurDarkness's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
This is a very interesting, and probably fairly accurate post. From the POV of marketing reality and end listeners who will give the time of day to small time artists.

From the musicians point of view however (I.E mine) it's not always just about getting product to market asap, or pleasing 'fans'. Yes it's a part of it, especially if you are trying to build serious momentum. But is this why we got into *music*? My entire interest in music, recording, songwriting and releasing songs to the world came about due to my interest in keyboards (ergo synthesizers once I could afford them). Had I only had software and a computer back in the 80s as a kid, I feel for me to have been excited about music it would have been for possibly the wrong reasons. The 'idea of fame' or creating a product for a market, or even to get enough PR so I could earn a living from playing live shows after giving away my music for free...

... but music, to me at least, is a love and it's something I do regardless of anyone else (whether 1,000,000 listeners or 1 listener) and part of that love is being able to place my hands on an INSTRUMENT of some description from time to time. Guitars and a Keyboard. Sure.. OK a midi controller to a VST would suffice, as I said further up, I did spend a few years that way (1 controller and guitar + VSTs) and I did get some results, but it really did loose steam after a while, unlike hardware (especially constant buying/selling/inspiration loop of getting old 'dream' hardware and writing a handful of tracks with it).

You can do that with VSTs, I have been inspired by (a limited number of) VSTs, and even programmed patches for a couple (though far less than I do for my hard synths). And it's not even the hands off thing of software for me that stops me creating, it is the paradox of choice. It's just too easy to be swamped with new VST release news almost daily, new demos, new free vsts etc. VSTs have their place, but so does real hardware of some kind (that is, if you are a musician first rather than a producer first).

So it boils down to there being too many types of person involved in music to say 'this is the best way' and be 100% correct. The only thing we can debate is whether the sound quality of soft v hard is tangible, and whether all synths coming from the same box creates a lack of depth in a mix.

I'm more interested for example if a fully software mix tends to sound duller, flatter and lifeless compared to bringing in 'some' hardware to liven it up.

And some will always love to have real hardware around (even it sounds identical/worse than VST) while others much prefer the slick uncluttered feel of a laptop studio and no hardware... the paradox of choice that is very common in the software world is also possible when you surround yourself with too many synths, I've felt it from time to time even with my limited number of synths (and even less commonly used soft synths).



Another good point (not having a dig at 'trance' even though it's one of my least favourite kinds of music). The blanket statement of hard vs soft rarely takes into account the TYPE of music someone is making. And yeah I probably agree that for the OP it's no big deal swapping all to software, it may up his productivity and get him 'closer to that ideal' sound without lots of messing around with things like 'learning to wire' *cough*.

If you are a more traditional rock/pop/electronic artist you do whatever FEELS good to do. Speed and return on investment are rarely your primary concern, we'd all love to knock out songs quicker but the process, attention and love that goes into writing/recording them is all part of the love of music and the quality of the end song. Have to agree with others who have said, there will never be a right way for everyone. Only your way. The rest comes down to a soft v hard synth sound quality AND importantly a mix depth/width/life comparison. For example, even if it was scientifically proven that every piece of classic hardware had now been 100% perfectly emulated in software, many of us would still choose the hardware because we spend ENOUGH time on the mouse/screen during editing/mixing (and 10000 things we do on computers daily).

it's 4am here, I'm tired and I can't even remember what I wrote 30 seconds ago so forgive me if any of this sounds like BS. It probably is.
This is an excellent post. thumbsup
Old 10th June 2010
  #220
Lives for gear
 

I still don't understand why people think softsynths are not hands on. The first thing I did when I got a Virus keyboard was to make full CC maps of my 3 softsynths (including scripting of multi-function knobs/sliders/buttons in WSH with MIDI OX). I've recently tinkered with Bome's MIDI translator and you can do alot of that stuff much easier.

I also do this with my hardware whenever possible so I can do everything on the one keyboard and have access to everything I need within arms reach. You only need to do it once.

In fact, some hardware is way less hands on than most software synths because they don't respond to CC at all and/or can't be fully remotely controlled (i.e. Xpander).
Old 10th June 2010
  #221
Lives for gear
 
grumphh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans View Post
You can. You can also get unlucky of course. A sampler worth $3000 a few years ago now sells for $500. That's a $2500 loss. A write off you will never have to do with a $400 software sampler.
You have to look at the loss in percentages.

In that case hardware equipment bought, say ten years ago, can still fetch something like 15% of its original price (or more, depending on what it is, obviously) whereas you probably can't give software accquired ten years ago away for free.
100% loss vs. 85% loss.

Also there is the question of cost vs. lifespan.
Software - being dependent on commercial operating systems that force you to upgrade/buy new at least every 5 years - is not a really good long term investment. To say the least.
Unless you plan on having an assortment of more or less ancient computers running with different operating systems - you will over time spend quite a lot on upgrades/new versions - and of course the computers themselves...

The hardware sampler will presumably still be operational in 10 years time.
But where is your software sampler?
Old 10th June 2010
  #222
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ape View Post
There is TODAY a direct INVERSE CORRELATION between sales and the quality of the music.

The more records sold: the ****ter the music. (correlation, so this is not true 100%)

People are stupid. People buy **** they are force-fed by the media.
Old 10th June 2010
  #223
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ape View Post
MUSIC IS DYING!
Music's doing better than ever. Every time someone said "oh no, the sky is falling", they were wrong.

Music's not dying. Music is likened to a landscape for a good reason. It's a thin, petrified and worn layer on the top, with a boiling underground. It's always been that way, and once in a while a volcano erupts.

Quote:
THE INDUSTRY IS UGLY AND BAD
Yes.

Quote:
So what does this have to do with software?

Intention
Nothing.

Quote:
People go itb to be faster and make things easier

Others go otb to look for unique sounds, textures, timbres, feels, mixes and unheard combinations.
There's no virtue to be had in doing things the difficult way if this does not have a direct and noticeable effect on the quality of the music. There's no virtue to be had in doing things the difficult way if it doesn't make you feel better in the process. There's no guarantee whatsoever that whatever piece of gear makes things better simply because you're using it.

The uniqueness is in your head, because it depends on your imagination and skill. The problem right now is that you have lots of people copying eachother and doing their best to make least-effort-required tracks, and the listeners do not mind.

It's a people problem, not a technology problem.
Old 10th June 2010
  #224
Lives for gear
 
Spectral Climax's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arianclap View Post

Hardware can be more idiot-proof because its relative inflexibility promotes a much more disciplined approach to signal processing
Υou are so right with this. Many people buy hardware because it makes them work with a specific way, so they become more productive with an easier way. This doesn't mean that you can't achieve similar results with software though...it's just an approach.

The most stupid excuse i have heard for buying hardware, is "it sits well in the mix"...this shows how lazy and ignorant some people are...they want to hit a button and everything to be ready in minutes..Mixing is art. If somebody knows about mixing, then he/she can fit anything in the mix without trying so hard...
Old 10th June 2010
  #225
Lives for gear
 
Spectral Climax's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
Or you could ask, in a few years, do you want to hassle over what updates you need and ensure everything works properly, or do you want to flip the power switch and start playing?
I'm going to write it for another time...Steinberg Model-E, and so many other vsti synths i have, still work like a charm without updates for over 9 years! So, where is your point?

Updates are not necessary if you don't have problems with what you already have...I haven't got a vsti/vst plugin the last 10 years which had compatibility problems with newer systems...
Old 10th June 2010
  #226
Lives for gear
 
Tarkovsky's Avatar
 

As far as I am aware this is the "Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production" forum.

Not the "Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production on Hardware" Forum.
Old 10th June 2010
  #227
Lives for gear
 
wwjd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkovsky View Post
As far as I am aware this is the "Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production" forum.

Not the "Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production on Hardware" Forum.
Exactly. softsynths ARE on HARDWARE and make sound, same as external synths. How is a softsynth NOT "Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production"? I've always seen this forum as both hard and soft, and/or anything

Nuttin wrong with hardware, nuttin wrong with software. Maybe people could be more creative if they didn't limit themselves to only one platform
Old 10th June 2010
  #228
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
sw allows me to make crappy music faster then ever
hw allows me to make crappy music that can blow out speakers

either way its a loss for the world
Old 10th June 2010
  #229
Lives for gear
 
The Architecture's Avatar
to be honest. my synth of all time would have to be the Akai AX60. for years i couldnt make any usuable sound out of it, now with all the experience i have gained from using other synths, I can make sounds on it that sound like its coming out of a much more expensive poly synth of the same era.

it all comes down to what your most confortable using, and what you know how to work. I still have yet to make anything that sounds decent in Reason 3.0, but then again we all know why that is. it just sounds bad period.
Old 10th June 2010
  #230
Lives for gear
 
in a blue field's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
sw allows me to make crappy music faster then ever
hw allows me to make crappy music that can blow out speakers

either way its a loss for the world

HAH! great thread btw guys; some may view the topic as cliche but we need to continue debates like these bekuz the landscape is always changing, and it is a landscape upon which we are at the forefront
Old 10th June 2010
  #231
Lives for gear
 
kilon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture View Post
I still have yet to make anything that sounds decent in Reason 3.0, but then again we all know why that is. it just sounds bad period.
Ok please people excuse once more shameless sefl promotion but I have two tracks for you here

Number 1 called "Envy and Hate (Will poison your mind)" , I mention the track name to emphasize my emotional goal . The goal is , thin sound, nasty, aggressive , annoying to an extend but still beautifull in its own nasty way.

SoundClick artist: Kilon - page with MP3 music downloads

The only excuse with this one , is that is made 5 years ago, but I still consider it one of my best tracks. Reason was used up to 90 % here , Reason 3, except some drums used from battery.

Number 2 "Solar Wind" spacy, warm, lusty , sweet , dreamy . I used 70% Reason 4 in this one and 30% Alesis Andromeda A6 .

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=8258513

I just don't get why people say Reason is bellow great. I find much easier to blame myself than Reason with those 2 tracks.

I never felt Reason stoping me from achieving exactly the type of sound I was aiming for. Quite the opossite, its by far the most easy to use soft , I have ever used.
Old 10th June 2010
  #232
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobaby View Post
I still don't understand why people think softsynths are not hands on. The first thing I did when I got a Virus keyboard was to make full CC maps of my 3 softsynths (including scripting of multi-function knobs/sliders/buttons in WSH with MIDI OX). I've recently tinkered with Bome's MIDI translator and you can do alot of that stuff much easier.
this sounds pretty difficult. did you do it in xml?

not all musicians and producers are computer programmers
Old 10th June 2010
  #233
Gear Addict
 
JBVries's Avatar
 

Re: Going soft??????? Yep, finally seen the light. yippeeeeee!

Awesome man. More power to you in finding the way you work most efficiently taking all factors economically, time management, and all others into consideration.

Sad that threads of personal preferance, opinion , and realization so often result in personal attacks more or less with people feeling the need to voice things that "suck" and such and such looks like a ******.

On these forums you trully have to deal with the entire gammut of people, including those that look at the glass half full vs half empty. Despite most everyone claiming they look at it half full, it is clear to me that through other peoples personal feelings of inadequacy and need to tear others down to make themselves feel better about their own lives shows quite the opposite.
Don't let any of the negativity phase you and become the Armin and incredible composer that we all have the potential to become. Cheers!
Old 10th June 2010
  #234
Lives for gear
 
The Architecture's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
Ok please people excuse once more shameless sefl promotion but I have two tracks for you here

Number 1 called "Envy and Hate (Will poison your mind)" , I mention the track name to emphasize my emotional goal . The goal is , thin sound, nasty, aggressive , annoying to an extend but still beautifull in its own nasty way.

SoundClick artist: Kilon - page with MP3 music downloads

The only excuse with this one , is that is made 5 years ago, but I still consider it one of my best tracks. Reason was used up to 90 % here , Reason 3, except some drums used from battery.

Number 2 "Solar Wind" spacy, warm, lusty , sweet , dreamy . I used 70% Reason 4 in this one and 30% Alesis Andromeda A6 .

SoundClick artist: Kilon - page with MP3 music downloads

I just don't get why people say Reason is bellow great. I find much easier to blame myself than Reason with those 2 tracks.

I never felt Reason stoping me from achieving exactly the type of sound I was aiming for. Quite the opossite, its by far the most easy to use soft , I have ever used.
I wish reasons sound matched its great workflow. I havent tried record/reason much, but it sounds promising compared to 3.0.

I used it for an entire industrial concept album. I know it inside out. I just grew to hate the sound.
Old 10th June 2010
  #235
Lives for gear
 
Odey's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
@ Jetty - I have nothing further to say to you so dont reply any further.

@ Kilon - Ah, another person with a brain offering intelligent conversation. Thank you.

Some great points also. I too have been 100% hardware for all of my life. However lately I have noticed that hardware gets in the way of my productivity.

As said, im not saying hardware sucks. Im more saying why I am going to give software a true go. The reason I posted here and not o the software forum is because there everyone would just agree and I wanted intelligent conversation.

Cant believe how many fools get on here though. Yourself not included.
I can't say that hardware gets in my way. No more than a guitar or any other instrument does. My chain is Analogue synth> preamp>DAW.. Couldn't be more straight forward.

And as for the sound difference between a prophet 5 and some Arturia plugin.. well need I say more?

But I probably make a different kind of music to you.
Old 10th June 2010
  #236
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odey View Post
I can't say that hardware gets in my way. No more than a guitar or any other instrument does. My chain is Analogue synth> preamp>DAW.. Couldn't be more straight forward.

And as for the sound difference between a prophet 5 and some Arturia plugin.. well need I say more?

But I probably make a different kind of music to you.
Which preamp are you using?

Have you tried running a software instrument through your preamp?
Old 10th June 2010
  #237
Lives for gear
 
Odey's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
Which preamp are you using?

Have you tried running a software instrument through your preamp?
Yes.. sometimes... I'm using a Chandler TG2. Although I use softs less and less nowadays. I still use them for some things though.. Just not synth parts!
Old 10th June 2010
  #238
Lives for gear
 
murphythecat87's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
Maybe one day we'll know conclusively (or not) if all sound sources in one box (VSTS only) dulls the overall sound and depth of a full mix.
NO! it don't. Kettel is the perfect example: YouTube - Kettel - Afwezig (2005) It definitely doesn't sound analog, but it sounds freakin good. Bluetech is another good example, wisp too. There is great music made in the ****in box, but music that doesn't sound analog, that's all. I don't want to listen to aphex twin all day long, do you? I could give you tons of example of music masde in the box that sounds good. In fact, the big majority of psytrance nowadays is in the box, and it sounds good. Scorb for example have made an incredible album in the box, strictly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bF8Y...eature=related
Another example of music created in the box :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9VNy...eature=related
what else do you guys need? It's good music. Good music doesn't need to sound analog either.



But no one can deny how good analog sounds, how alive, right out of the synth.
Old 11th June 2010
  #239
Lives for gear
 
Odey's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat87 View Post
NO! it don't. Kettel is the perfect example: YouTube - Kettel - Afwezig (2005) It definitely doesn't sound analog, but it sounds freakin good. Bluetech is another good example, wisp too. There is great music made in the ****in box, but music that doesn't sound analog, that's all. I don't want to listen to aphex twin all day long, do you? I could give you tons of example of music masde in the box that sounds good. In fact, the big majority of psytrance nowadays is in the box, and it sounds good. Scorb for example have made an incredible album in the box, strictly: YouTube - SCORB - IPSO-FVCTO - 2007 - 10 ANGLETERROR
Another example of music created in the box :YouTube - anahata - the unmade sound
what else do you guys need? It's good music. Good music doesn't need to sound analog either.



But no one can deny how good analog sounds, how alive, right out of the synth.
Don't be fooled into thinking that all of these artists are entirely in the box.

Most of them have high end outboard gear, summing mixers, high end monitoring and have their tracks professionally mastered if not mixed somewhere else too.
Old 11th June 2010
  #240
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Isn't it funny how in ANY software/hardware related thread, the software people feel compelled to jump in and shout the same old histrionics...


"Oh yeah, well great albums are made ITB too!"


Here's an insight, great albums are made with everything. Ok?


P.S. Odey is correct, and I know this for a fact because I've been a part of a few "ITB" albums... as I mixed them on an SSL with racks of outboard and mastered at Bernie Grundman... so yeah, I HOPE that "ITB" album sounds good!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
axtrak / Post Production forum
0
andychamp / So much gear, so little time
1
AlanTide / So much gear, so little time
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump