The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Going soft??????? Yep, finally seen the light. yippeeeeee! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 27th June 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
It was only when Living Sounds posted some of his tunes that I heard something special.
Do you still know the thread this happened in? I'd like to listen, too thumbsup
Old 27th June 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Do you still know the thread this happened in? I'd like to listen, too thumbsup
KVR: Vintage is overrated. Lesson learned(rant)

That discussion was actually what prompted me to finally "see what all the fuss was about with real analog" as well. He's a persuasive guy, LOL.
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Skin flute?
Otherwise know as a kunt trumpet.heh
Old 28th June 2010
Lives for gear

Exactly. Just like most of the "producers" here do not play any thing at all. I can not tell you how many tracks I have heard here that are three note repetitive bass lines on top of a 4 to the floor beat with a slow sweling pad based around the tonic. Oh yeah, better put the snare on the 2 and 4 just to be different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
Well, yeah ... Lady GaGa doesn't play guitar ...
Old 28th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone View Post
I will agree that this could be easily recreated in the box. It would not sound the same though. It is true that most listeners would not care, in fact most would probably prefer the crispness of an all soft synth mix. This is what they have been conditioned to find appealing. Sterile, precise sounds. It really is only us synth nerds who tend to prefer the slightly dull sound of analog that seem to have no outline to the sound, it is as if the analoge sound is feathered into the surrounding soundscape, where as a soft synth is inked in hard lines. I find that they both have their place, just as a fine point pen and a paint brush preform different functions. Neither are better, just different tools for different jobs. Mind you, I was not of this opinion a couple of years ago. It is easy to get caught up in synth snobbery, as I once did, it will however only impede your ability to make music without limitation, or preconceived methods that lead to redundant sounding tracks. In the end, it is all about the music, and wether or not it moves you. Give David Gilmore a 10 dollar guitar and a peavy amp and he will still stir your soul.
Give Lady GAGA a 1956 goldtop lespaul with a marshal stack and you will beg her to stop playing after 2 seconds. Paint, sound, clay, dance, it is all about the ability of the creator to emote with whatever tools available.

Scott
Nice post
Old 28th June 2010
Lives for gear

Thank you sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ101 View Post
Nice post
Scott
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

you hardware guys are going to love this... i've had Ableton crash on me three times since starting on this Saturday night. heh

f*cking Live 8 instability. each time i lost about an hour's worth of on and off work, which killed my enthusiasm and made me say "ok, i'm done with this for a bit". not giving up though, i was actually pretty happy with how it was progressing. what should have taken me just a few hours is now taking me a few days. not sure if i'll have time to get back into it tonight, but should have it wrapped up by tomorrow hopefully. i'll report back when it's done.
Old 29th June 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by in a blue field View Post
i'm just sayin', i could totally see how someone could buy a piece of gear kuz of what they read on sites like GS, and then they get home with it and it's like, "WTF, who set this thing to 'old' and then broke off the switch??"
Haha, that one had me literally laugh out loud. I hear you. I spent hours just going though most of the patches on TimewARP and making them sound like they hadn't been in a closet since 1976.
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
you hardware guys are going to love this... i've had Ableton crash on me three times since starting on this Saturday night. heh

f*cking Live 8 instability. each time i lost about an hour's worth of on and off work, which killed my enthusiasm and made me say "ok, i'm done with this for a bit". not giving up though, i was actually pretty happy with how it was progressing. what should have taken me just a few hours is now taking me a few days. not sure if i'll have time to get back into it tonight, but should have it wrapped up by tomorrow hopefully. i'll report back when it's done.
Is there something like an Auto-save?heh
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

That very exact reason was my original reason for moving to hardware years and years ago. A song that could have taken a day, took me 3 weeks to finish. At the time, hardware was as cheap as software in some instances.

It was reliable, fast, and i got alot done.

Have fun making that tune. just remind me in-case it does take weeks to finish.
Old 29th June 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:

im getting the feeling that ableton is becoming bloatware. they recommend freezing any third party plugins to trouble shoot. if the crashes stop then you now its not ableton and another plugin. i held off on updating to 8.1.3. from what i read it wasnt that stable. what version are you running? im running 8.1.1 btw
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

i think it wasnt just you, as the abletons pulled pr moves when live 8 was reportedy buggy as all get out.

still on live 7 and im doing fine. group tracks and groove engine seem like really nice features.

can you do automation curves yet?
Old 29th June 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
i think it wasnt just you, as the abletons pulled pr moves when live 8 was reportedy buggy as all get out.

still on live 7 and im doing fine. group tracks and groove engine seem like really nice features.

can you do automation curves yet?
not yet
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

Say what you want on this issue but Zeta+ has been marked down to $19.99 here: Z3TA+ Download

I mean theres really no excuse not to buy that. Thats a stupid amount of synth for that kind of money.
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
Is there something like an Auto-save?heh
yes and no. when it crashes, you can do a bit of a 'restore', but i've found that it doesn't always work as expected. all edits that i had made to a few different VSTs were wiped back to either the previous state or right back to the defaults. with synths and EQ plugs on each, this turned out to be a total buzz-kill. i still haven't gotten things back to how they were, and i'm not entirely sure i can. it saved my sequences (other than the ABL2 acid line), but all synths have to be reprogrammed. it's my fault for not saving periodically, but of course it happens at the least expected time. i'd work on it a bit, let it play, come back, change something or drop in a new plug and it would crash. and this is with version 8.0.9 (!), this rarely (if ever) happened with v7. i might just export a few things, fire up 7 and start fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture View Post
That very exact reason was my original reason for moving to hardware years and years ago.

Have fun making that tune. just remind me in-case it does take weeks to finish.
yep, and this is part of the reason why i haven't moved completely over to software (though this is a bit of a fluke, i don't think it'd be this bad if i weren't using Live 8). i also don't completely trust them live, which is one of the reasons that i just bought another Machinedrum. usually it's not a problem, but better safe than sorry. either way, i don't think i'd start buying up a bunch of hardware again. for most uses, software suits me just fine. i just thought it was completely ironic that when i 'need' it to work, it craps out left and right. heh had to mention it, i thought you guys would get a kick out of it.

Architecture - i actually have a few questions if it'd be ok to drop you a PM.
Old 29th June 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's not universal. I've been running Live since version 4 and I had more trouble with the move to 7 than anything. Once my problems with 7 were fixed, I made the move to 8 and it's been rock stable. I've had crashes, but I could trace the crash to a plug-in each time and there haven't been many. There are a lot of plug-ins like Jamstix (ironic, eh?) that don't like you messing with stuff while a sequence is playing. Others don't like to be added or removed while the sequencer is going.

My only issue with it now is that I can't make a sequence and export it as a midi file and then reimport it back into Jamstix or mDrummer. It used to work like a charm...
Old 29th June 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman View Post
KVR: Vintage is overrated. Lesson learned(rant)

That discussion was actually what prompted me to finally "see what all the fuss was about with real analog" as well. He's a persuasive guy, LOL.
Ya, das ist de ein. I'd already sorted out that the DSI synths had qualities that I wasn't able to get well out of my software, and that thread showed me that a good VCO based instrument went even further when looking for a very warm sweet tone. It wasn't long after that I picked up an ATC-1. I wish I could afford the X... maybe I should start saving.
Old 30th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Architecture - i actually have a few questions if it'd be ok to drop you a PM.
Sure. Just send and ill read.

To the person who said Zeta is 19.99. Thats more like it. I have a hard time justifying paying more than 100 dollars for a single plugin. I usually expect a bundle for more than that. Lets face it, its just code.

If they can make Korg DS10 for 29.99, which i totally think kicks ass for what it is. Its solid, reliable, FUN, and intuitive! then I dont see why some of these softsynths can cost so much. DCAM i could justify for the price, but thats an exception.

For some of the prices of this software, I can buy a solid bit of hardware thats rock solid. That was my rational 5 years ago when I went out of the software realm.

They still have a way to go with the software arena in so many critical areas for me personally.

oh and one last personal pet peeve.

Whenever your switching over to a new computer system, reauthorizing all of your software would be by far the biggest pain of all of it. They make it soo difficult sometimes its easier to install a warez of something YOU ACTUALLY OWN, since you dont have to hassle with re registering and blah blah blah. Sure you can get an ilok and all that stuff, but most of my stuff isnt ilok compatible, and they limit how many times you can install something.

At least I dont have to do that everytime i change something in my hardware setup.
Old 30th June 2010
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=Kola;5246578]Why I choose VSTs over hardware

1 – Face it, I love instant. Instant instant instant. What I cannot stand is learning curves. Each hardware synth requires a learning curve where if your all in the box you learn the DAW what you have to learn anyhow for the hardware and that’s it. You’re done. The technology never gets in the way.

I love Korg Legacy Digital Collection M1 & Wavestation with included ALL PCM ROM Cards

3 – No need to learn wires or MIDI or have them hanging everywhere.

That's actually part of the fun. MIDI cables ! Sentimental reasons for cables?

4 – Space saving. No need to fill up your room with huge hard synths.

A Macbook Pro owner will get jealous of an Elka Synthi or Oberheim Xa owner, not the other way round

2 – Hardware looks way cooler towards other geeks. Face it, no girls are exactly going to swoon over a guy with a large keyboard collection, infact quite the opposite. You may as well mention your into stamp collecting.
Guess im a geek as I think hardware looks superb. My wife and her friends see it all as irritating clutter.

No girls are gonna swoon over keyboardists :(

3 – ermm – ok scraping here, sentimental reasons. I grew up in the early 90’s and hardware was a big thing back then. Suppose you’re a product of you environment. This is hardly a plus but I cant think of anything else.
First synth I saw was a Korg M1 when I was a kid. Boy was I blown away

4 – Hardware sounds better.

Talking about DACs, I actually prefer the "harshness" of D50, the "lower quality" of 12-bit samples, than 48Khz 24bit samples from a computer.

Still, non-embedded OS gives me the creeps when playing live.

Oh, and Lady Gaga played the Yamaha CP70 wonderfully
Old 30th June 2010
Lives for gear

YouTube - Lady Gaga SUCKS (and here's why)

Not ot turn this into a Lady GaGa sucks thread but I found this amusing.
Old 1st May 2012
Gear Addict

i come from the soft world and went hardware crazy over the past couple years. i find the balance of both to be the greatest benefit to both workflow and musical results. i've ditched almost every soft synth except for spectrasonics stuff and NI komplete 8 material. omnisphere is arguably the greatest soft synth ever and it rivals a ton of hardware.

still, hardware is essential (unless you are doing mostly trance and dubstep.. even then it can be super useful). hard synths everyone should have are a nord lead or a virus ti as far as VAs go. digital synth/sampler stuff like kurzweil K series can go an infinitely long way and if you know how to program VAST you can achieve sounds still never heard before (even 20 years after). i think it's a bit erratic to think all ITB is "seeing the light". i use all my gear in harmony with Logic and all of my tracks have combinations of hard and soft synths. they both have pros to offer.
Old 1st May 2012
Ged
Lives for gear

I went the other way round...

been using vst synths since 2000 - loved the instant recall - preset saving etc...
then I kept wondering why they sounded so thin compared to the recordings and artists i was listening to - I didn't believe "Hardware sounded better", I loved the vst's
then you add in the compatibility issues - crashes in certain DAW's - bug's etc...

The last year or so I tried simply creating some good patches that would work in a mix on various vst's - some were ok but in general - they lacked presence/width

Then I stumbled across a wee interview with Stuart Price (remixer of various pseudonyms ) and all he used was a Casio CZ 101 and a Yamaha TX7, and I heard a few of his tracks and I was like..."wow"

So, then I bought myself a Korg Poly 800 / Korg DW 6000 and the DW 8000
needless to say I have not touched a soft synth since!! except the Ensoniq SQ8L for digital Basses
I very rarely have to EQ them - they don't need any special processing to "warm" them up - and they won't Crash my DAW! heh heh
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged View Post
I went the other way round...

been using vst synths since 2000 - loved the instant recall - preset saving etc...
then I kept wondering why they sounded so thin compared to the recordings and artists i was listening to
Me too, but I mostly went to hardware because I prefer the feel and instant musicality of it.

I feel like Im actually a musician again rather than an office drone working at an ableton live spreadsheet.
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

i like using both software and hardware synths, lots of pepole use both.

Quote:
a Korg Poly 800 / Korg DW 6000 and the DW 8000
these would not cause me to turn off my software synths.
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post

these would not cause me to turn off my software synths.
And strangely I have yet to find a soft synth that would make me turn off my ex8000.

Regards,
Frank
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

Wtf, why was my post deleted Don? It was bang on topic. Did you try to delete the Lady gaga post instead and miss or something?
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Fiction View Post
... still, hardware is essential.
essential for what?
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
And strangely I have yet to find a soft synth that would make me turn off my ex8000.
Yes Frank, thats exactly my point.Im not going to give up on hardware because of good softsynths AND im not going to give up on software because of good hardware synths.

Like i said , i use both, lots of people use both.

when your ex8000 can make these sounds please let me know

Old 1st May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgeno View Post
Wtf, why was my post deleted Don? It was bang on topic. Did you try to delete the Lady gaga post instead and miss or something?
This thread is 2 years old already and some troll called insect43 or something bumped a load of digital/analog threads with content-free ****posts.

Check the dates on this page.

My guess is that he wanted to delete your reply as well because that would've removed the thread from the front page. However, that seems to have backfired somewhat.

Quote:
essential for what?
GS street cred heh
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
When someone looks at a hardware va and says "it nothing more than a software in a box" they are like children looking at the sun and saying "look mom a ball of fire" .
Epic dude Sig worthy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search