The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DX-7 or DX-7 II...???
Old 18th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

The DX7II uses the RAM 4 style cards. Same as used on the TX802.
The ROM cards are also out there but hard to find.
Old 18th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_ambi View Post
My Questions:
1. Unfortunately I came without a cartridge. I cant find any preset sounds on it, are these all on the cartridge or am just not looking for them in the right place?
You don't need the cartridge; it has two buttons saying "INTERNAL" and "CARTRIDGE".

If you have no sounds when you push the "INTERNAL" button something's wrong with the battery, memory, or it just might've been flushed of all presets. In the worst case they're all silent - all operators off.
Old 19th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Definitely the mk1. I don´t think mk2 sampling frequency goes higher than 44.1khz, whereas mk1´s SF goes to almost 60khz (according to Chowning). The mk1 has a circuit for the envelope generators alone, which I think it *might* affect the sound in some way. The 12 bit converters also affect the sound in a positive way.

Forget the specs, use your ears... mk2 sounds more like FM7/8, mk1 sounds more PPG, VS, etc. More crude.
Old 19th May 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thank you very much for your advice, I will see what I can do.

DION
Old 23rd May 2011 | Show parent
Out of interest, not seeing much love for the DX7S....... not quite a II/fd, but still pretty good imho.

Trying to find a Grey Matter board for mine..... rare as rocking-horse sh1t....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno6 View Post
Forget the specs, use your ears... mk2 sounds more like FM7/8, mk1 sounds more PPG, VS, etc. More crude.
So wrong...I have both...the sonic differences between them are negligible.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
I agree.
Lives for gear

depends on your ears I suppose, I can hear a difference

12 bit vs 16 bit, you can hear it in samplers
Old 24th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Yes, there is absolutely a difference in sound between the MkI and MkII...... but to me the MkII is far from clean sounding and not nearly as pristine as a softsynth such as Fm7. They're both pretty lo-fi (in a good way) to me!

It's funny, I couldn't get used to Fm7 due to it's lack of noise.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
I also have both, and to me the difference is huge. There´s a strange brightness and a hardness in the bass, that doesn´t compare. But that´s my opinion.
Lives for gear

Due to the aliasing and rounding errors of the 12 bit signal path

FM8 has this emulated digital noise, which you can set as high/low as you want, but it's not quite the same thing...
Lives for gear

I'm so happy my ears can't tell the difference! This way I can fully enjoy the updated functions of my TX-802 without missing the supposedly different sound of the mkI!

As for the DX7/FM7 comparison, there's certainly a huge difference...
Gear Nut

I'd hate to start a rumour, but do all original DX7 sound the same?

I've had two. My first had an early serial number and I remember it sounding nice and grungy but with a lot of background noise (very annoying).

My second, which I have now, has a much higher serial no, seems much cleaner and is a lot more punchy. It sounds really "3D" and I don't find background noise to be an issue at all with this one.

I didn't have them at the same time so couldn't directly compare. Could my memory be deceiving me or could my first have been faulty? Or could Yamaha have changed the convertors or something else?

I also used FM7 for a while which made some nice pads, but sounded flat compared to either of my hardware units. I've never used FM8 or a DX7II.
Lives for gear

maybe that DX7 had bad caps
Old 10th October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno6 View Post
Definitely the mk1. I don´t think mk2 sampling frequency goes higher than 44.1khz, whereas mk1´s SF goes to almost 60khz (according to Chowning).
False. Both run at 49096 Hz. Reading the official service manual for the DX7 mk1 family would have told you that. Chowning is not infallible.

Quote:
The mk1 has a circuit for the envelope generators alone, which I think it *might* affect the sound in some way.
What "circuit"? Due to IC constraints it needed separate chips for the EGs and the wave generators. Guess what? So did the mk II family, again.

Quote:
The 12 bit converters also affect the sound in a positive way.
In your opinion. Oh, also? They're 12-bit discrete DACs plus 2-bit analogue floating-point compander, so that's at least 14 bits (possibly more if the DACing is done per-note). The mk II family is 15-bit (discrete DAC with 16 bits of which 1 is tied to GND or +5 V). Again, all there in the service manuals.

Quote:
Don't forget specs because otherwise you'll be misled by people's subjective misconceptions and what they tell you to hear.
Old 2nd June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by g22 View Post
Agreed, It has such a unique tone due to the 12-bit convertors, if played among 16-bit equipment its a perfect contrast and shines.

Imo, if you get the DX7II your getting a similar tone to every other 16-bit digital sampler out there. It still sounds better than a lot of the new synths, imo, but it doesn't have that warm/fat tone that the original DX-7 has. Plus, the originals are cheaper heh, so its a win-win.

I paired the DX-7 with an MPC 2000. One of the best synths, with one of the best sampler/sequencers all for about $750 used. Thats less than what a used "Big 3" workstation would cost, with far superior sound, imo.
Exactly,

You get some extra goodies with the mrk 2, but the soul is GONE, you are playing every other late 80's early 90's black, plain soulless synth.

I would get a DX7 mrk 2 if I really felt like I wanted to throw something synth-like off my balcony and watch it splatter, but for playing music it's the DX7 1 or bust, it has a soul like the analogs that came before it, it LIVES,

FM8? Don't make me laugh....total garbage, for people who don't know any better
Old 2nd June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
FM8? Don't make me laugh.
Agreed. Dexed is much closer and it's free.

Quote:
You get some extra goodies with the mrk 2, but the soul is GONE
DX7mkII + TX7 = best of both worlds.

The mkII layers two sounds, does unison, and offers two assignable sliders you can tweak while you play. Makes sounds no DX7 could ever hope to make.

TX7 gives you the same sound as the DX7 but you get 32 function assignments instead of the 1 on the DX7. So for example when you set up mod wheel and aftertouch routings on one DX7 patch, ALL patches have to use that same setup whereas on the TX7, each patch gets its own routing setup. Much better. And you can program the TX7 from the DX7mkII's front panel.

A bit more expensive than just a DX7 but the extra cash is more than worth it.

Best of both worlds.
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear
For Industrial?

Back in the day I bough a used DX-7 IIFD after hearing this album, and have never regretted it.

Old 9th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Another industrial band that used the DX7 II:

Lives for gear

The notion that the DX-7 somehow "lost its soul" with the DX-7II is humorous to me. I mean, did the DX-7 ever have a soul in the first place?

Seriously, though, the DX-7IId is a fantastic instrument--a huge improvement over the original DX-7.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
The notion that the DX-7 somehow "lost its soul" with the DX-7II is humorous to me. I mean, did the DX-7 ever have a soul in the first place?

Seriously, though, the DX-7IId is a fantastic instrument--a huge improvement over the original DX-7.
I can see/hear why someone would prefer older over newer or vice versa. I love 'em both.
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Head

I have a DX7 that I purchased new back in the 80's packed away in my closet. In it's day, it made great electric piano sounds as well as powerful metallic bass sounds.

After reading all of these post - I am going to pull it out and see how it sounds...
pg1
Here for the gear

Is it possible to send the dx7ii microtuning to other synths? The manual seems to say it can but i've never been able to get it working, maybe it's just to other yamaha synths that support microtuning?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
I can see/hear why someone would prefer older over newer or vice versa. I love 'em both.
Yes, the original DX-7 does admittedly have its charm. I honestly don't miss mine, though (which I bought new in 1984, just after it came on the market, and later sold to my younger brother). The differences in tone compared to the DX-7IId are negligible as far as I'm concerned--and purely subjective as to which sounds "better".
Old 6th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Have anyone ever compared DX7S to DX7IID/FD

I could sware they sound different
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Zombie thread reanimated...

I had an original DX7 I lent to a friend and it's now gone - she's not sure where it is (was in the middle of a divorce). She's willing to help out getting a replacement.

I know the sounds are different between the DX7 and DX7 II with 12 bit vs. 16 bit, but main concern is the keyboard - is the action the same between the two keyboards, or is one better? I'm definitely used to the DX7 key action, so want to ensure I get the same or better. Only other keyboard I have for comparison action wise is a Kurzweil K2000 61 key. Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Zombie thread reanimated...

I had an original DX7 I lent to a friend and it's now gone - she's not sure where it is (was in the middle of a divorce). She's willing to help out getting a replacement.

I know the sounds are different between the DX7 and DX7 II with 12 bit vs. 16 bit, but main concern is the keyboard - is the action the same between the two keyboards, or is one better? I'm definitely used to the DX7 key action, so want to ensure I get the same or better. Only other keyboard I have for comparison action wise is a Kurzweil K2000 61 key. Thanks.
The II has a great action, FS. Also it transmits the entire MIDI velocity range, unlike the I.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
I think the keybeds felt really similar. I had a IIFD and sold it when I moved, I then picked up a mint DX7. Honestly the character is very similar but they sounded different enough to me. From a purely aesthetic point of view the IIFD had more dimensionality and sparkle. It could do more. The Original is filthier and noisier and rougher. They both layer with analogs really nicely. I rather prefer the IIFD for that but the DX7 works slightly better for what I'm doing - which is basically house.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Thanks. I had all my original DX7 sounds backed up to Galaxy Plus Editors... back in 1999. Don't know where the floppy disks or files went, but was able to save 4 patches through sysex to Native Instruments FM8, which can import, but not export. So for sounds, I'm OK. Just trying to find either a DX7 or DX7II in the same condition as mine was (mint) as the friend is offering to cover costs, but as a controller/synth not looking to spend $1K. Not interested in buying from Japan due to hidden import taxes as well as most sellers then require you to pay shipping back...
📝 Reply