The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Korg synth, the Monotron Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

1/4 to 1/8 adapters are like $1. A studio without adapters is like a toilet without water. They make 1/4 to 1/8 cables too. This is a clownish complaint.

Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
1/4 to 1/8 adapters are like $1. A studio without adapters is like a toilet without water. They make 1/4 to 1/8 cables too. This is a clownish complaint.
Hence the qualifier, "high-fidelity". Go price 1/4" to 1/8" Mogami cables and get back to me.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlshft View Post
Hence the qualifier, "high-fidelity". Go price 1/4" to 1/8" Mogami cables and get back to me.
Would you like some snake oil with that?
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would you like some snake oil with that?
I appreciate that you edited out the "you can buy specialty mogami cables for 5 bucks" comment, because that's BS, they cost more than that to make yourself.

So really your contention is that there is no differentiation between Mogami and Hosa/et al?

That's probably a BIG moanfest for another thread. I'll leave the opinion up to you. I've been there, done that with that...crap cables are crap. Unreliable (probably the biggest issue, **** connectors/cold solder joints,) noisier than they should be (picking up pat robertson or your local AM sports show,) sometimes even bandwidth sucking.

Now let's get back to digging an awesome new analog filter, which I give you, will probably sound grungy enough that the cables you use with it won't matter all that much.
Old 27th March 2010
Here for the gear

So the race is on !
Who's going to be the first to make a mod kit for these ?
I think gutting 2 or 3 for the OSC and Filter chip ( assuming A: the VCO is stable enough to really play with midi ,and B: it's not a synth on a chip at that ) would be worth it .

I'm with most of you with the "I think Korg is testing the waters thing " , but this design is real hit or miss and kind of a sideways way to do that .

All that said if they just re-released the MS20 VSTi as a hardware VA built in to the 1/3 replica Midi controller ... I'd snap it up for $500 or less even at 8 voices . I know purists it's not exactly/Same/Close/(place adjective here ) , but it's rude ,I dig the sound and like the layout and feel .

BTW : sorry to go off topic a bit , but didn't someone do this DIY ? Google is not my friend today. Hit me with a PM if you know where I can find info on that .
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlshft View Post
I appreciate that you edited out the "you can buy specialty mogami cables for 5 bucks" comment, because that's BS, they cost more than that to make yourself.
AnalogueHaven has them for $5.

I know, I know...but you didn't say 2524.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

it's not like that was ever outside my mind; you're telling me that 1/8-inch runs at -10 line level no diff than unbalanced 1/4-inch? there's no loss of quality whatsoever? if it does, then tell me, i dunno, i'd think there'd be issues with pro gear and 1/8-inch tho, i mean why isnt a whole lot more stuff 1/8-inch if it's exactly the same? why does every DJ mixer i've ever owned have 1/4-inch headphone in's if it's exactly the same as 1/8-inch? you'd think something like that would definitely be done different, if there was no diff b/w 1/8 and 1/4. if they are not the same tho, well then i guess that's you standin' in that pic there...
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

1/8" jacks
hmmm...Buchla 100/200, ARP 2500/2600, etc
Methinks it's a fuss about nothing.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by in a blue field View Post
it's not like that was ever outside my mind; you're telling me that 1/8-inch runs at -10 line level no diff than unbalanced 1/4-inch? there's no loss of quality whatsoever? if it does, then tell me, i dunno, i'd think there'd be issues with pro gear and 1/8-inch tho, i mean why isnt a whole lot more stuff 1/8-inch if it's exactly the same? why does every DJ mixer i've ever owned have 1/4-inch headphone in's if it's exactly the same as 1/8-inch? you'd think something like that would definitely be done different, if there was no diff b/w 1/8 and 1/4. if they are not the same tho, well then i guess that's you standin' in that pic there...
Use an 1/4 to 1/8 adapter?

So your telling me a 20ft run of 2524 with 1/4 ends is superior to 2524 20ft run with 1/8 ends????????????

I can't believe I'm responding to this nonsense.
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
i mean why isnt a whole lot more stuff 1/8-inch if it's exactly the same? why does every DJ mixer i've ever owned have 1/4-inch headphone in's if it's exactly the same as 1/8-inch?
1/4 inch is more sturdy.
Old 31st March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
or you could just get a frostwave resonator
they are 5 times more than the korg!
Old 31st March 2010
you guys complaining crack me up .. it's 55 euro's! who cares?
this will sit next to my kaos pad nicely ..

jeremy
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Nut

It's overpriced for what it is. Wait a sec, what is it actually???
Old 31st March 2010
Here for the gear

MonotronPro Real? Fake ?
YouTube - Korg Monotron PRO
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCOrhubarb View Post
It's overpriced for what it is. Wait a sec, what is it actually???
It's a very simple anal mono that fits into Korg's "great stuff in small boxes for VST-users"-strategy. Imagine, now you can have your very own secret weapon in addition to legacy cell and it's only around 60 euros!!!

On the other hand, they are demoing the fact that they can produce real cheap analog circuitry.

Gents, this box was released to scare the **** out of Roland.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by relativity View Post
MonotronPro Real? Fake ?
YouTube - Korg Monotron PRO
WTF!!!

Hope its real thumbsup
Old 31st March 2010
Quote:
it's not like that was ever outside my mind; you're telling me that 1/8-inch runs at -10 line level no diff than unbalanced 1/4-inch? there's no loss of quality whatsoever? if it does, then tell me, i dunno, i'd think there'd be issues with pro gear and 1/8-inch tho, i mean why isnt a whole lot more stuff 1/8-inch if it's exactly the same? why does every DJ mixer i've ever owned have 1/4-inch headphone in's if it's exactly the same as 1/8-inch? you'd think something like that would definitely be done different, if there was no diff b/w 1/8 and 1/4.
If there is a difference in audio quality it is probably negligible.
As someone else said, 1/4" jacks tend to be far more stable. The 1/8" jacks on my modular are prone to cutting out if I nudge them or wiggle the cable.

And let's not presume that 1/4" sets some kind of "audio standard". I've worked in many studios that used patch bays with TT (Bantam) jacks, and those are 4.4 mm. It's an in-between size, but it is closer to 1/8" (3.5 mm) than it is to 1/4" (6.35 mm). Yet no one was concerned that these smaller cables were connecting their $100,000 console to their $10,000 reverb.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

At US$50-60 street, this thing was made to be modded; give it 2 weeks after launch and the mod scene will be as big as that for the Valve Junior. Add CV/MIDI In, change the connectors to 1/4" and rebox it, and you'll have a neat little noisemaker for the studio. Will be interesting to see (hear) how it goes as a guitar effect too. I definitely see myself messing with one or two.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
I've worked in many studios that used patch bays with TT (Bantam) jacks, and those are 4.4 mm. It's an in-between size, but it is closer to 1/8" (3.5 mm) than it is to 1/4" (6.35 mm). Yet no one was concerned that these smaller cables were connecting their $100,000 console to their $10,000 reverb.
True - aren't they made of brass though, and have a more secure locking design?
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
I can dig it.

As long as there are English DIY tutorials for things like CV/Gate mods, I'll be buying one.
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

POLYTRON GO heh

Old 30th April 2010
Gear Nut

Way cool! I need to get one of those :D
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Head

Great video, I watched it like 10 times yesterday. I wonder if he made the kick with monotron though?
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck78 View Post
Great video, I watched it like 10 times yesterday. I wonder if he made the kick with monotron though?

RichF (korg usa rep) suspects effects etc used and it sounds like a seperate drum to me, but hey, it really does show what some one with talent can do and some of the sonic beauty in that toy. Toys are fun heh
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
They're not going to do an Alesis and release a big analog synth just like that.... they're just testing the market.... everyone says they would buy a new analog synth from Korg or Roland, so they're probably testing if people can put their money where their mouths are. It's a very interesting development.... if the price is right.
I don't know about that. That's like releasing a sub-compact to see if people would be up for a release of an SUV. I'm sure they share shared features, but while I'm scratching my head over this, I'd pee myself to get an MS20 MKII.
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

Here is the same Koishi chap using another korg (most likely source of those drums):

Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

it sounds gooooooooooooood!!!!

My friends are finding me stupid to buy a korg ms-20, because of korg's return in analog. So what do you guys thinks of the supposedly ms-20 filter on the monotron? It does sound like a ms-20 LP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
POLYTRON GO heh

Old 30th April 2010
Gear Head

Here's a video of a modified monotron:

Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
My quick detective work finds that it was a Korg employee who make that demo. A 'pro' in the works?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search