The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tinysizer from Anyware Instruments Consoles
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Nut

Tinysizer from Anyware Instruments

This was posted on matrixsynth. It is called the Tinysizer by Anyware instruments. Its a small format analog modular system that uses a breadboard style patch matrix.

2 VCOs
3 Sub OSC
3 LFOs
1 Multimode 12db filter
2 ADSR
PWM
Sample and Hold
White & Pink noise
DSP effects (delay & reverb)
Midi
Ext. Audio In
ect...

It says the filter is "Oberheim style".

This thing looks pretty cool and doesnt sound to bad either from the samples on sequencer.de. I also visited the Anyware Instruments site but they do not seem to have any info on the Tinysizer up yet. I am excited to see more info and a price for the thing.

Sequencer.de page

Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Looks yummy! thumbsup
Old 21st March 2010
it looks to me like the "SEM clone" variety, i.e. Telemark/SEMTEX/etc.. with the 12dB state variable filter etc.. and sounds like it too, and very nice if i might add at least judgin by the few clips they posted. that filter is smooooth. PWM as well.

my first thought was: this is incredible for live work, especially on that LCD-style stand.. small, portable, sounds good, and looks cool too. on the down side, it is probably too finnicky to do re-patching on the stage .. so it needs to be setup in advance. ahh i immediately started daydreaming if there was a version with moog ladder too, i could get both of these, and leave my big/heavy modular at home.

Old 21st March 2010
Gear Nut

Yeah trying to patch this thing in a live setting on a dark stage seems like a pain in the ass. I am a little up in the air about the stand. It really does seem like it would make this thing nice and desktop friendly but the way the stand looks does not appeal to me. Its to large and bulky and it makes the thing look too much like an lcd screen,ha. I think something a bit more "minimal" in design and possibly made of aluminum would better suite it. But the stand is the least of my concerns and,of course,would not deter me from buying it.This thing is just too cool.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Oh baby... where have you been all my life?

*synthsturbates*
Old 22nd March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoptosis View Post
Yeah trying to patch this thing in a live setting on a dark stage seems like a pain in the ass. I am a little up in the air about the stand. It really does seem like it would make this thing nice and desktop friendly but the way the stand looks does not appeal to me. Its to large and bulky and it makes the thing look too much like an lcd screen,ha. I think something a bit more "minimal" in design and possibly made of aluminum would better suite it. But the stand is the least of my concerns and,of course,would not deter me from buying it.This thing is just too cool.

don't see why you couldnt use it without the stand, as a desktop. too large? are you sure you understand how miniscule this whole thing really is? and yet it packs a synth power of a patchable SEM. whoooa.. take a look at Tom OBerheim's new SEM, Anyware's SEMtex and AS Telemark - they look like freakin tanks compared to this.

even with the limitation of pre-patching this prior to performance, i think i'm totally GASsing for this. my gaaawd hope it wont be too expensive. and that the patching system isnt subject to EMI RF and intermittent connections. in other words that its well done, and thoroughly tested.

Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Need a magnifying glass to patch it.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
*synthsturbates*

Too damn funny... disgusting and funny heh

-Andrews
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

This looks fun, but you can't really patch it into other modulars. Even patching it on your own at home will be like building a small model helicopter. On the up side it might be fun to play operation.

Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
This looks fun, but you can't really patch it into other modulars.
Wouldn't getting some cables with banana/minjack/etc. and their thing on the other work?
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

No, not with those little toothpicks
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
don't see why you couldnt use it without the stand, as a desktop. too large? are you sure you understand how miniscule this whole thing really is? and yet it packs a synth power of a patchable SEM. whoooa.. take a look at Tom OBerheim's new SEM, Anyware's SEMtex and AS Telemark - they look like freakin tanks compared to this.

Did you not read the last thing I said about the stand? That it is the least of my worries and would not have any bearing on whether or not I would buy it. Of course there is the option of just using it as a table top,I was just commenting on my opinion of the stand.

I really hope the price is not outrageous. Anybody got any personal estimates or ideas on what you might think it would cost? I am gonna say between $1,200 and $1,700 would be reasonable,but the price for the SEMTEX xl is €1600 so the Tinysizer may be more than $1,700 but I would think it would be less than €1600.
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Maniac

wowzerz! love to check this out!

although yeah, part of the appeal of modular/semimodular (SEM, MFB zwerg-models) is the possibility of connecting it to other gears. but this really is too cool.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Cost.... I think american the Semtex XL was about $1999 originally, so I'm guessing this will probably hit your mark and being that the FR XS is a fantastic deal at $1300, I don't see why this wouldn't be less than $1500.
Old 22nd March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Cost.... I think american the Semtex XL was about $1999 originally, so I'm guessing this will probably hit your mark and being that the FR XS is a fantastic deal at $1300, I don't see why this wouldn't be less than $1500.
it will be interesting to see what price point will they decide for..

considerin the market with SEM or SEM-ish clones has changed significantly since the introduction of SEMtex cpl of years ago. now you can buy Tom Oberheim's new SEM in the range of $700 - 900 depending on the version. hypothetically, having to pay more than double to get another version of it, done by some other company more or less copying this design, sounds kinda pointless.

i hope tinyzer doesn't go for a lot more than Tom Oberheim's SEM. comparably, i am aware of some extras, like more LFOs and a lot more patch points, but also some minuses i.e. microscopic size patching instead of 1/8inch patch panel.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

European price will be 1600€
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
European price will be 1600€
That's $2160US. Plus import tax and shipping.

Let me know how it is gentlemen. I'm out.

Looking at the patch points... it looks awesome.
There's a lot more there besides the knobs.
4 VCAs, Pink Noise, White Noise.

The Mixer + Audio Out from only 1 VCA is rather limiting...
and how the hell can you convert that cable to 1/8"?
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
That's $2160US. Plus import tax and shipping.
Damn, I was getting all excited, but that seems excessive.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

The pots in there are high quality (and very pricey compared to those of the cheaper products)

Most vendors chose cheaper pots to meet a certain price point. Also the front plates are the best there is.

It deserves a lot of respect to release a product that uses highest quality components, no matter if everybody will complain about the price.

However - IMO the synth should cost even more -> the patch area should use high quality jacks. And no - I don´t need another monosynth at the moment
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
However - IMO the synth should cost even more -> the patch area should use high quality jacks. And no - I don´t need another monosynth at the moment
Agreed. The price would sky-rocket with ALL those patch points 1/8" to at least $4k.

But it'd be worth it. The bread board patch points make it appear lesser quality and cheaper than it is.

I'd rather spend $4k on something I'd enjoy using than $2k on something I can't see.

I hate that part when building my own computers... plugging in the LEDs. Pain in the ass.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

I'm not impressed by the quality off the Anyware Instruments products.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The pots in there are high quality (and very pricey compared to those of the cheaper products)

Most vendors chose cheaper pots to meet a certain price point. Also the front plates are the best there is.

It deserves a lot of respect to release a product that uses highest quality components, no matter if everybody will complain about the price.

You'd have thought something a bit sturdier than ribbon cable connectors might have been used for the patch points then. They were never designed for repeated use.
That aside, it seems pretty nice.
Old 22nd March 2010
Mmm seems like a bit of novelty. I guess if you have plenty of money but not much space...
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Also wish they'd ditched those DSP FX and used that space to have
knobs for the attenuators/other 2 VCAs.

I'm guessing you can use those Aux channels to interface with other
gear.
Old 22nd March 2010
Quote:

Quote:
Agreed. The price would sky-rocket with ALL those patch points 1/8" to at least $4k.

$2k ? $4k ?

xcuse me for being so blunt but.. i wanna smoke what you guys have been smoking.. heh

reality check: for arround $2k, you can buy a pre-build mid-sized MOTM system that equals or exceeds the Tinysizer with flexibility and power. uses "highest quality of components" & workmanship, has 1/4inch Switchcraft jacks with full patchability, and over-the-top quality Spectrol sealed pots.

and, for whopping $4k ? wow, u can get an even larger MOTM. with several different filters, vcas and modulators. or four SEMs, and build a new OB Four-Voice.

same goes for oakley, modcan etc .. there are several modular manufacturers that go out of their way with quality standards. Anyware certainly woudln't be the first to do so.

i mean, i get what your saying, and agree about quallity being recognized and supported, but still the 1600 eur price goes even beyond that reasoning.

guess we'll see two of these in Jarre's setup in 2011. in the meantime i can buy the original SEM and fit it with PSU, patch points, additional attenuators, and a coffe machine, for less that that asking price.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
reality check: for arround $2k, you can buy a pre-build mid-sized MOTM system that equals or exceeds the Tinysizer with flexibility and power
Now I want what you're smoking. Or to know where you're shopping.

There's 4 VCAs there, Ring Mod, Sample + Hold, 4 Channel Midi-CV convertor, White Noise and Pink Noise.

If everyone of those patch points exist in 1/4" MOTM, all those modules, case and power for $2K... please let me know the location of that truck. PM me even. I want in.

I'm just thinking of the cost of Macbeth M5, Serge Animal, Cwejman S1 new...

EDIT: And I'm not saying anything about quality being supported.
I'm saying this thing isn't working for me because I can't see
and wasn't born a watchmaker.
Old 22nd March 2010
Quote:

But it'd be worth it. The bread board patch points make it appear lesser quality and cheaper than it is.

I'd rather spend $4k on something I'd enjoy using than $2k on something I can't see.

I hate that part when building my own computers... plugging in the LEDs. Pain in the ass.
they're all standard PC sockets though no?
couldn't you just have some looms made up to a patchbay?
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm just thinking of the cost of Macbeth M5, Serge Animal, Cwejman S1 new...

Please don't compare that to the quality of Anyware-Instruments stuff.
The Semtex got some funky crosstalk and design flaws.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mono-poly View Post
Please don't compare that to the quality of Anyware-Instruments stuff.
The Semtex got some funky crosstalk and design flaws.
I'm not comparing it at all.

It's all a theoretical, pointless conversation of "what if".

I'd rather have any one of those before this thing.
In this order:

1. Animal
2. M5
3. S1
4. Creature
10. Tinysizer
Old 23rd March 2010
Quote:
Now I want what you're smoking. Or to know where you're shopping.

There's 4 VCAs there, Ring Mod, Sample + Hold, 4 Channel Midi-CV convertor, White Noise and Pink Noise.

If everyone of those patch points exist in 1/4" MOTM, all those modules, case and power for $2K... please let me know the location of that truck. PM me even. I want in.
hah guess i was smoking something too - it's been a while since i visited the MOTM site. seems he raised his prices significantly. i was able to construct only a similar configuration with $3k: 2vco+ladder+2vca+2lfo+2env+psu+s/h+kenton

so, perhaps going "strictly MOTM" was not a good choice for the point i was trying to make.

however, identical arhitecture to Tynisizer, for little over $2k is possible only if choice is widened to Oakley and other MOTM format modules, like ray wilson and yu synth that arent as expensive (even buying finished ones form Elby). for example, there are quad VCAs, Ring Mods, S/H circuits etc. and as i said previously, going this route, you would still get 1/4inch, luxurious UI, and higher quality and flexilbity of each indiv module. (one example: attenutators and lin/exp modes to VCAs)

i mean, if were talking discrete analog circuits, paired transistors in VCAs.. stuff like that, it is physically impossible to fit all that in a laptop sized box and retain the quality of a large system.

dont get me wrong, as i said previously, i still think the Tinysizer demos sound nice, i'm just thinking out loud whether they are "1600euro" nice..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search