The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Da Funk Synth Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Nut

Da Funk Synth

Hello, having a question about Daft Punks song Da Funk. What synth are they using for the synthriff?

I'm not wondering cause I want to copy their sound, more because of couriosity as I've never found out.

If it's unknown what synth they were using, please drop your guess.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

you talkin bout the really vocal sounding synth? no idea. its a great sound.

there's defintely a 303 in that track though.
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
you talkin bout the really vocal sounding synth? no idea. its a great sound.

there's defintely a 303 in that track though.
Yea I know that the TB-303 comes in later, but I'm after this, which you call "vocal sounding" synth, the main riff going through all of the song... It sounds so amazing!
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Addict

a synth + a distortion pedal for sure
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

One of those sounds that could come from any synths via certain FX. I know for sure that they heavily used a 303, trident and MS20 throughout Homework so maybe one of those..? Either way amazing!
Old 19th March 2010
ValhallaDSP

I always thought it was an SH-101 through a distortion pedal, but it might have been a Juno-106. The key is to have a fairly resonant filter with env sweep, and run it through a fuzz. I remember that some people put the Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal to good use processing the output of synths.
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

i agree, post filter distortion

it gives it that wah sound while maintaining harmonics (thanks to the distortion)
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Nut

The only analog synth I own is a Juno 106.. I hooked it up to a 100 watt marshall half stack with a Boss metal zone. Lethal combination, instant death.
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Addict

check 5.50 into this video:

YouTube - Yamaha CS-15 Video Demo Part 1
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearteh View Post

That was pretty awesome.
Old 19th March 2010
Quote:

Holy crap heh Awesome.
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Addict

Daft Punk were big Nord Lead users, but I don't know if they used it specifically for that sound.
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

i read somewhere long ago that it was an overdriven ms20
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

I got pretty close with both a Juno-106 and a JX-3P. I know the 106 was used on Homework.
Old 20th March 2010
Quote:

yeah I was gonna say - seems like it was this CS-15 feedback trick...but it could be distortion I guess...difficult to know for sure...?
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

I talked to them about there music at a show in Chicago around 96ish. They told me they were using a 106 alot in that time period. That could be it. They used what everyone did back then, Roland gear and cheap compressors heh.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Though I'm only guessing, I reckon it could be a miniKorg 700s.
Korg MiniKorg 700s | Vintage Synth Explorer
a friend has one in his studio and it can make that sound perfectly. It has a highpass and lowpass filter and if you take off the knobs of the two sliders you can slide them past each other (the knobs deliberately prevent it) and you get this weird double peak resonance.
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:

Theres just hands coming in out of nowhere, and they are everywhere!
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Addict

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...daft_patch.jpg

here are the settings, just use the same thinking on any synth and you could probably come close.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

I'm going to answer the OP question:

On the TC Electronic Powercore card, there is a VSTi synth called the "TC Powercore 01".

That lead is found on the stock preset list, it's the FIRST patch, it sounds like they ran it through a tad of distortion. Blew my mind when I played it, I was like WHOA that's clearly the instrument used. Maybe ran thru another filter to get more of an envelope-follower sound.

LISTEN TO MY RECREATION, YOU BE THE JUDGE:
Attached Files

Da Funk PATCH DEMO.wav (4.48 MB, 5105 views)

Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

I really don't think that was even around when Homework was made.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...daft_patch.jpg

here are the settings, just use the same thinking on any synth and you could probably come close.

what soft synths have external feedback?
Old 21st March 2010
ValhallaDSP

The TC Powercore 01 is pretty clearly modeled on a blue SH-101.

I listened to Da Funk again, and the main synth line has a sub oscillator 2 octaves down. I'm gonna go with SH-101.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Addict

So I couldn't resist and make an attempt with my White Face Odyssey,at the end i got a little nutty, sorry.

I don't think they used software at all for the original and even if you make an exact A & B comparison with the CS-15 and the original it sounds close but not exact. I am pretty sure they used an analog synth using the sync trick to get the edgy sound and also used a bunch of outboard effects and pedals.

Let me know what you think?
attached is my file
Attached Files

Da Funk Ody.mp3 (2.47 MB, 4745 views)

Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

I stand by the Juno-106 =o]
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

MS20
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjc View Post

On the TC Electronic Powercore card, there is a VSTi synth called the "TC Powercore 01".

That lead is found on the stock preset list, it's the FIRST patch, it sounds like they ran it through a tad of distortion. Blew my mind when I played it, I was like WHOA that's clearly the instrument used. Maybe ran thru another filter to get more of an envelope-follower sound.

HAHA That sounds just like it
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBEQ View Post
So I couldn't resist and make an attempt with my White Face Odyssey,at the end i got a little nutty, sorry.

I don't think they used software at all for the original and even if you make an exact A & B comparison with the CS-15 and the original it sounds close but not exact. I am pretty sure they used an analog synth using the sync trick to get the edgy sound and also used a bunch of outboard effects and pedals.

attached is my file
sounds nothing like it

softsynths didn't exist back in the days

and they hate them. they only use analog stuff, which was cheap before they made it popular. no nord lead either.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBEQ View Post

attached is my file
for some reason that is really hard to listen to. Maybe Ill try to make one myself b4 I pass judgement
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjc View Post

are u serious!!??
Home work was made around 1996, which was was before that synth saw the light of day. Think u can rest assured there's no soft synths on that album.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search