The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prophet 5 Rev.2 - As much trouble as they're made out to be? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
How do you manage to slip the words 'Jupiter 8' into every post you make...? You must say those same words 20 times a day at least.... heh
well i only have 3 VCO polys to compare tuning and i am comparing what i have...my prophet 5 rev3.3, mks-80 and jp8...so i don't think i'm too crazy here. what else do you expect me to do make comparisons without any basis? I have decent dco polys and monosynths too but i didn't mention them because they aren't really relevant to VCO poly tuning conversations.
Old 29th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Never had any problems like this. Do you get this problem on all voices? That would be first thing to test. Maybe it's just one CEM 3310 that have gone bad. Try it on all voices.

I will try your test tomorrow. I got some bushings to replace now, my Prophet is still open. Just finished washing mod and bender potentiometers. They are sealed so you must disassemble them, but it's worth the trouble. The mod wheel is finally precise in the low region, there are no jumping values or changes once you leave it alone. I can finally do proper vibrato without value going to too much depth. Also noticed. Seems like first 10% of mod potentiometer has no effect (unused area), so i decided to set the minimal position at 10% instead of 0. If your tech will do this, tell him to check the potentiometer and the unused area - that is: you set potentiometer to 10% and mod lever at 0% position. It isn't hard with necessary tools - the Prophet should be on and set to pitch mod while adjusting this (so that you can instantly hear the applied modulation). It's worth the effort!

Found something more interesting: theoretically if you could turn the mod wheel for the full turn (of the potentiometer), not just area within the lever limits, the modulation goes on an on. I made some sick modular style FM, that originally isn't possible due to restricted lever movement (thus limited FM modulation index). Can't decide should i remove those two pins of the lever or not. It's sorta "hardware protection" so that would mean some serious hardware abuse.

Damaged the wood panel today while pulling the keyboard out. About 5mm long and 15cm wide. Luckily it didn't cracked completely. More luckily i had some wood glue, and managed to fix it. There are no any traces left behind, you can't see where the damage was. Still i think i might call Wes and check for the new wood. This is a kind of instrument that deserves 100% perfect wood. Mine already has some bumps here and there.

Will let you know about the env release tomorrow. It was a long day here. Lot of work on the Prophet. But this instrument DESERVES it!
wow sounds like even rev3s can have issues eh? I've got my fingers crossed that mine stays as good as it is, but even so the keyboards on these things get so finnicky...im just glad you can get em midied, but even so if the keyboard is funky and a key is stuck, you're still screwed lol...gotta clean the damn things. I've yet to have to do it luckily but i've heard some stories...

good luck on the wood, there's some minor staining on mine from a sticker or something, i've been meaning to try a solution someone proposed to me on here but I've been too lazy...it looks so nice though even despite that so it's been fueling my laziness further...definitely one of the coolest looking synths imo...but i'm a sucker for the wood...
Old 29th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post
your tech said the release time is supposed to get progressively shorter due to heat and that's normal? this is what i mean by techs, get a different tech for your rev 2. find someone who can actually diagnose the issue and fix it, that's not what should be happening.

it sounds almost like you have a pot or resistor that is faulty but hard to pin down as the p5 envelopes are reliant on logic chips and analog circuits that have some support circuits for routing and power management in there beyond the actual env. and the actual pot for the realse time itself could be needing a replacement... but i can tell you the release time should not get noticably shorter after the unit's on for a while. it should stay really close (to be casually unnoticeable really) to first power on time lengths even when running after an hour.
Just wondering what you base this idea that it is not normal for a rev2 to do that on? ie what makes you think that a fully functional rev2 wouldn't do that.?

Just to clarify it is hardly noticable and has always done this in the 10 years I've had the unit

@don yes all voices
Old 29th July 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

So far envelopes work ok here. No change. You might want to ask Greg Montalbano. He is No1 for Prophets and other synths.

Greg Montalbano webpage

In worst case, you can remove the analog board and send it to him. Just tell him Don Solaris recommended you. I got recommended by Clusterchord. Just to keep tracks on trusted customers and helps with confidence.
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
Just wondering what you base this idea that it is not normal for a rev2 to do that on? ie what makes you think that a fully functional rev2 wouldn't do that.?

Just to clarify it is hardly noticable and has always done this in the 10 years I've had the unit

@don yes all voices
i base it on a rev 2 i had in the studio for 3 years with no such issues...

and hardly noticeable and you being concerned enough to ask don't go hand in hand...
it's gonna be a judgement call as to what you feel in your gut as to how much it's changing...
if you can tell as in at looooong release times the tails end a bit later when looking in your daw's audio track of it being recorded from one time and later that can happen. if at moderate relase times, inside 1/4 note beats it drifts over when you had it programmed to fade before no that needs looking after.
Old 30th July 2010
Quote:
hardly noticeable and you being concerned enough to ask don't go hand in hand....
haha you don't know me very well
Old 30th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
So far envelopes work ok here. No change. You might want to ask Greg Montalbano. He is No1 for Prophets and other synths.

Greg Montalbano webpage

In worst case, you can remove the analog board and send it to him. Just tell him Don Solaris recommended you. I got recommended by Clusterchord. Just to keep tracks on trusted customers and helps with confidence.
thanks don! i emailed the man and he got back to me with some ideas. he's a true gentleman.

after i described the issue in a little more detail than i have here, he told me that this didn't indicate a fault and it was probably the nature of my rev2. he also said that rev2's can differ from each other.

W-W-Int:
one thing he didn't do, funnily enough, was insult my tech. but that's just what polite people are like. why should he insult a man he's never met and knows nothing about?

i have also asked a fellow slut with a rev2 to test his for me. i will get back with the result, when he does.
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks don! i emailed the man and he got back to me with some ideas. he's a true gentleman.

after i described the issue in a little more detail than i have here, he told me that this didn't indicate a fault and it was probably the nature of my rev2. he also said that rev2's can differ from each other.

W-W-Int:
one thing he didn't do, funnily enough, was insult my tech. but that's just what polite people are like. why should he insult a man he's never met and knows nothing about?

i have also asked a fellow slut with a rev2 to test his for me. i will get back with the result, when he does.

yeah hillarious that he didn't say your current tech who's been nameless so far here might be spouting crap as the details are a bit sketchy but hey a laughs a laugh right? heh jk by the way...

i want to clear something up, not all techs are bad, i never meant to imply every single tech is crap etc... just that out of the ones i've run across damn few actually are really techs. phil c is a real tech, he just charges too much. if i had a harmonium or something super rare that i wanted totally restored he'd be the about the only real option, but only if i was super rich would that even be an option.

out of all the techs i've used / run across only about 3 are actually any good. and the only one still working is greg m. in oakland. he's a super rare example of someone who doesn't generate a horror story for someone looking to have something serviced. there are for sure more than the 3 i've had personal experience with, and yours may or may not be bad. based on what you said however i'm inclined to say a huge maybe in the bad direction. that's why i said here's an example, talk to someone else. greg is basically saying based on more info than i have that he doesn't feel it's an issue. you had originally made it sound like an issue then later like it might not be then now ... so who knows maybe your tech was right maybe he wasn't but if you say something like it does xxx and my tech says that's normal, when xxx isn't i'm gonna think bad tech. sorry but you led me to believe there was a large discrepency in timing of the release originally then later said it might just be you being a little over the top... so to your nameless faceless tech (who i suspect is posting in this thread) if i jumped the gun based on an incorrect assumption of info i apologize. and yeah greg's a good guy, just don't use him as a reference if you're trying to sell your item if he worked on it... he's a little peculiar in that he doesn't value your rev 2 so much as you or the buyer might and i'll leave it at that.
Old 31st July 2010
Quote:
you had originally made it sound like an issue .
originally i was curious to see if don's newly ultra stable R3 had the same problem as my R2, which i suggested was inherent and qualified that suggestion by saying my tech tells me it's the circuit [design]. the question was in other words:- my synth does this because it's a rev 2, does your rev 3 do this? at no point did i ask the question: is my rev2 faulty and does my tech know what he's talking about?.

then you come in with the face and tell me to sack my tech, implying that he's pulling the wool over my eyes.

Quote:
maybe your tech was right maybe he wasn't
he was

Quote:
if you say something like it does xxx and my tech says that's normal, when xxx isn't i'm gonna think bad tech.
xxx is normal.

i see 2 main possibilities for you thinking otherwise:

1) as i've just learnt from greg, rev2's can differ from each other, yours didn't have this release shortening issue, which is why you so valiantly told me to sack my tech.

2) your rev2 was doing the exact same thing as mine and you never noticed

Quote:
sorry but you led me to believe there was a large discrepency in timing of the release originally then later said it might just be you being a little over the top...
it was never my intention to make anyone believe there was a large discrepancy in the timing. i never said there was. you just assumed that all by yourself.

I never said it might just be me being 'over the top' please don't put words in my mouth. if you're referring to my 'you don't know me very well' comment, i'll put in plain english: generally i'm a perfectionist and if i've had a synth for 10 years, i come to notice little things like the release getting shorter over time.

Quote:
so to your nameless faceless tech (who i suspect is posting in this thread) if i jumped the gun based on an incorrect assumption of info i apologize.
no he's not in this thread. i'll try to put a face on him, here's a broad description:

1) edit he's ****ing smarter than most humans on the planet
2) his only experience with servicing synthesisers is with my synths, which he does as a favour to me. no money changes hands, except for parts. he's a really nice guy.
3) he's a word class electronics expert, he used to be the MD of his own electronics company designing and building foil gages from the ground up using eddy currents to measure the thickness of aluminium foil. he refined the process to the point that one of his machines could continuously monitor the thickness of aluminium foil, which was speeding past the detector at ~50miles an hour, to an accuracy of half a molecule. his machines sold for ~£32,000 this was in the 1980s
4) since his retirement he's been concentrating on electronic art forms and has had many interesting commissions including the sensing and control for a major work in the london science musium, a private commision for a robot which balances a pencil on its 'finger' (a sharp pencil, tip down) , and he's also been approached by the director of the european space agency to design an experiment for orbit.

not your average tech.

btw yes you did jump the gun, apology accepted
Old 31st July 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:

1) he's a certified genius
Where does one get this certification? Is there a board of geniuses that take an annual vote on this?
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Where does one get this certification? Is there a board of geniuses that take an annual vote on this?
lol maybe he's a member of that laughable joke of a social club called mensa :P
Old 31st July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
actually he's not a member of mensa, but he could be as he scored above the genius threshold in an official IQ test he took. to be an official genius you just have to score above 140 in an IQ test.

edit: i'm sure there's plenty among us that would fall into this category if we took an official test..
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
actually he's not a member of mensa, but he could be as he scored above the genius threshold in an official IQ test he took. to be an official genius you just have to score above 140 in an IQ test.

edit: i'm sure there's plenty among us that would fall into this category if we took an official test..
there's multiple IQ tests with different scalings entirely, 140 on one test is like 160+ on the other....i've taken iq tests before and been ranked all kinds of things including in the so called "genius" range but those tests don't really make you a genius they just mean you fit into a particular societies standards at a particular level of competence....foreigners tend to score worse on IQ tests outside of their native countries, but that doesn't make those people any stupider...

In either case there's no genius certificate. it doesn't exist. These techs aren't super-human geniuses, they just are good at their particular fields of expertise. Let's be realistic here. You're looking for a skilled technician, if someone meets the job, perfect...i don't get what all this banter is about.

Yes, some people out there will try to rip you off, so will freakin' car mechanics among other types of jobs, isn't this crap common sense? So you search around for the best deal, duh. I just don't get it. there's too much technician-worship going on in here and not enough common sense...
Old 31st July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
there's multiple IQ tests with different scalings entirely, 140 on one test is like 160+ on the other....i've taken iq tests before and been ranked all kinds of things including in the so called "genius" range but those tests don't really make you a genius they just mean you fit into a particular societies standards at a particular level of competence....foreigners tend to score worse on IQ tests outside of their native countries, but that doesn't make those people any stupider...

In either case there's no genius certificate. it doesn't exist. These techs aren't super-human geniuses, they just are good at their particular fields of expertise. Let's be realistic here. You're looking for a skilled technician, if someone meets the job, perfect...i don't get what all this banter is about.

Yes, some people out there will try to rip you off, so will freakin' car mechanics among other types of jobs, isn't this crap common sense? So you search around for the best deal, duh. I just don't get it. there's too much technician-worship going on in here and not enough common sense...
well he took the test that if you score above 140 youre recongnised as a genius.

he has his score written down as a result for an officail test so he is certified. but if it makes you happer, i'll scrap point one and change it to: he's ****ing smarter than most humans on the planet.
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
well he took the test that if you score above 140 youre recongnised as a genius.

he has his score written down as a result for an officail test so he is certified. but if it makes you happer, i'll scrap point one and change it to: he's ****ing smarter than most humans on the planet.
Yeah, but I've taken that test (it's the one with the lower overall scores) and scored in the genius range as well but i don't go around advertising it like a mensa member would or what not, nor did i bother getting it "written down" I kind of feel that's a dick move, which is why i think mensa is laughable. Elitists and their societies are no better than anyone else and no certificate will convince me of that. If he does good work, fine, but having some certificate that says your a genius proves nothing to me quite honestly.

I didn't even take the test because I wanted to, some of the crappy schools I went through in childhood made me take them because I wasn't doing any work and they wanted to prove I was capable of doing the work so they could basically excuse themselves of any blame...it's kind of messed up actually, fact is these tests are not always used for the best purposes and I kind of have an issue with anyone taking their scores and using them as some sort of qualification, it's insulting quite honestly.

and most people I know who are "smarter than most humans" tend to be just as deficient in other areas as they are efficient in the ones you admire.
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby33 View Post
I dont understand why everyone wants . . . 3 LFOs . . .4 ADSR . . . 1,000 effects, 10million patch memory, 15 oscillators.

How about a nice simple good sounding instrument?

2Vco
1LFO
1 Low pass filter
1 ADSR
4-6 Poly
Portamento

And just make it sound sweet and nice. Just my opinion. I dont think all this crazy modulation and such is needed. If you want that, simply make a modular with the companies that are around today building the pieces. This would keep the cost down, and allow people without a science degree to program the synth.

My opinon! ;-)

Thoughts?
I agree, if I don't like the inherent tone of a synth it's useless to me so then I couldn't give a toss what features the synth has..
Old 1st August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
I agree, if I don't like the inherent tone of a synth it's useless to me so then I couldn't give a toss what features the synth has..
I'm an idiot, I posted this in the wrong thread.
Old 1st August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby33 View Post
I'm an idiot, I posted this in the wrong thread.

yeah quit hijacking the thread it's all about everyone hating me in this one go find your own... heh

anyway golden that's cool that you know someone who knows what he's doing, but ... ahh nevermind i'm really not trying to argue or anything just stating and re-stating a position i feel that a lot of guys doing advertising themselves as "techs" aint worth dick and shopper beware. how's that for a little more clarification. i guess i should have left it a bit more vague at first as going into details that i've run cross tons of fools with little background in the actual sciene of electrical engineering out there screwing crap up for folks seems to not be a popular subject...
Old 1st August 2010
mnm
Gear Head

Quote:
i do. i can fix a mixer, recap a psu, replace a dead chip, solder a new set of ic sockets to a motherboard, etc... i don't own a scope just a cheaper multimeter so the level of my diagnosing is limited.
Quote:
the rest was aimed at the armchair synth techs out there.
hahaha
Old 1st August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
Yeah, but I've taken that test (it's the one with the lower overall scores) and scored in the genius range as well but i don't go around advertising it like a mensa member would or what not, nor did i bother getting it "written down" I kind of feel that's a dick move, which is why i think mensa is laughable. Elitists and their societies are no better than anyone else and no certificate will convince me of that. If he does good work, fine, but having some certificate that says your a genius proves nothing to me quite honestly.

I didn't even take the test because I wanted to, some of the crappy schools I went through in childhood made me take them because I wasn't doing any work and they wanted to prove I was capable of doing the work so they could basically excuse themselves of any blame...it's kind of messed up actually, fact is these tests are not always used for the best purposes and I kind of have an issue with anyone taking their scores and using them as some sort of qualification, it's insulting quite honestly.

and most people I know who are "smarter than most humans" tend to be just as deficient in other areas as they are efficient in the ones you admire.
he's not advertising that fact. and he doesn't go around advertising it.
it came out one time in conversation is all. i'm guessing he holds similar views to your good self about the whole deal.

the only person who advertised it is me in this thread.
Old 1st August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
an hour later call up the patch and measure the release time again.?my release on the rev.2 gets progressively shorter overtime due to heat. my tech says that's just how the circuit is and there's nothing to be done about it.
I'm pretty sure this is normal though I have never owned or used a P5. I only bring it up because when I had a Sunsyn, voices 7 and 8 were on the same voice board and you had to recalibrate their envelope lengths alot more often than voices 1 to 6 because heat builds up alot more on one side of the unit than the other. The decay times were always shorter for those two voices.

To fix it I guess would require a redesign of the chasis and moving things around inside it. It would probably necessitate a redesign of the cooling system too so that heat could be dissipated more evenly across the length of the chasis.
Old 1st August 2010
Lives for gear

On a slightly related point - is it the prophet 5 rev 2 & 2 in particular that are problematic or is it the same with most ssm based synths like the korg monopoly & polysix?

I.e. Is it the prophet design that's problematic or the actually ssm chips?
Old 1st August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
On a slightly related point - is it the prophet 5 rev 2 & 2 in particular that are problematic or is it the same with most ssm based synths like the korg monopoly & polysix?

I.e. Is it the prophet design that's problematic or the actually ssm chips?
i've had a lot of problems with mine.
most were due to bad joints or connections.
never had a problem with a chip other than having to re-flow its pins.
for me the problem is nasty cheap trimmers, bad soldering and brittle ribbon cable.

mine does drift. but i imagine this would be vastly improved by replacing the right caps
Old 1st August 2010
Gear Addict

I want one.
Old 1st August 2010
Lives for gear

I'm interested by the whole chip thing and ways in which it partially determines the sound, but not completely - which I guess is particularly relevant to the rev 2 vs rev 3 debate.

For instance, from what I've heard of oberheim's they sound very warm to me and not brash. But my prophet 08 sounds exactly like all of these descriptions (and this isn't really to my taste)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
curtis (cem): direct, focused, ripping, sizzley/brassy in the highs, cutting resonance..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
curtis: mean, sharp, direct
I'm wondering whether ssm maybe more 'me'. Do I too need a rev 2? Want more soft, warm and beautiful than biting and brash

Also are all minimoogs discreet?
Old 2nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
I'm interested by the whole chip thing and ways in which it partially determines the sound, but not completely - which I guess is particularly relevant to the rev 2 vs rev 3 debate.

For instance, from what I've heard of oberheim's they sound very warm to me and not brash. But my prophet 08 sounds exactly like all of these descriptions (and this isn't really to my taste)

I'm wondering whether ssm maybe more 'me'. Do I too need a rev 2? Want more soft, warm and beautiful than biting and brash

Also are all minimoogs discreet?

mini's are all discreet.

the difference in sound of the 2 and 3 is minimal. by that i mean adjust the cutoff down a bit more on the 3 and it starts to have the deeper end the 2 does generally. the 3 is brighter with the cutoff all the way open. it's not really a more brassy or brash type thing as they can both get very brash and brassy using osc sync or lots of resonance etc...

if you want the more collectable version for collectibility sake get the 2, if you plan on using it to do music more get a 3.3 w/midi.

and the reliability thing is the design of the p5 being not so great using ssm chips, not the chips in it. the 1 is basically the same as the 2 only different design and layout and that thing is a nightmare.
Old 2nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
mini's are all discreet.

the difference in sound of the 2 and 3 is minimal. by that i mean adjust the cutoff down a bit more on the 3 and it starts to have the deeper end the 2 does generally. the 3 is brighter with the cutoff all the way open. it's not really a more brassy or brash type thing as they can both get very brash and brassy using osc sync or lots of resonance etc...

if you want the more collectable version for collectibility sake get the 2, if you plan on using it to do music more get a 3.3 w/midi.

and the reliability thing is the design of the p5 being not so great using ssm chips, not the chips in it. the 1 is basically the same as the 2 only different design and layout and that thing is a nightmare.
If the ssm and cem prophets sound so similar then do most of these chip synths not really have the same basic sound and only really subtle differences? I know design varies (I'm not sure how as I don't know much about it) but are these supposed massive differences between chip synths really only minuscule for very picky 'connoisseurs'?

I found this test http://prophet5.org/rev1vsrev3/
Anyone know of and tests between the prophet 5 vs prophet 08?
Old 2nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by triez View Post
I would rather be playing the rev 3 than repairing the rev 2 every few months. The Rev 3 sounds great, I would rather be happy with that and enjoying it rather than trying to keep a rev 2 going, even if it does supposedly sound better (whatever that means). .
I believe this is the truth; those rev 2s (and earlier revs of many classics) really weren't much in demand until relatively recently when sellers on ebay and elsewhere achieved their goal of making earlier revs of various synths seems far better than they were in order so as to be able to successfully jack up prices. Mission accomplished! Hence this thread and many others, since potential buyers for the most part really can't tell/aren't sure and there's enough uncertainty to generate sufficient intrigue/buzz to up prices on earlier problematic classics up and even beyon standard prices. Prior to this, earlier revs of various synth classics had no special cachet and fetched less actually.

A Prophet 5 rev 2 reminds me of an early Memorymoog-lotsa problems in return for quite debatable upside and now, high prices. Many luxury good manufacturers are very aware of this phenomena about the human psyche: up the price and thus up an item's perceived value.
Old 2nd August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbass View Post
I believe this is the truth; those rev 2s (and earlier revs of many classics) really weren't much in demand until relatively recently when sellers on ebay and elsewhere achieved their goal of making earlier revs of various synths seems far better than they were in order so as to be able to successfully jack up prices. Mission accomplished! Hence this thread and many others, since potential buyers for the most part really can't tell/aren't sure and there's enough uncertainty to generate sufficient intrigue/buzz to up prices on earlier problematic classics up and even beyon standard prices. Prior to this, earlier revs of various synth classics had no special cachet and fetched less actually.

A Prophet 5 rev 2 reminds me of an early Memorymoog-lotsa problems in return for quite debatable upside and now, high prices. Many luxury good manufacturers are very aware of this phenomena about the human psyche: up the price and thus up an item's perceived value.
first off, my pro2 works. i dont have to service it every 2 months. it just works. having said that it took me a long time and many trips to the doctors to get it in that state.

i got mine by chance. and i wouldve been happy with the rev3. however it has been said that the rev3 is alot closer to the pro1. and i can tell you that the rev2 is miles away from the pro1 in tone.

if i had got a rev3 i probably would've got rid of the pro1 a long time ago. but i get such a different tone from my 2 profits i cant replace one with the other. which is a good thing.!

secondly regarding rev2 vs rev3 hype.
well one thing leads to another. if there was no difference in sound then there would be little difference in price.

i know for a fact that the idea that the rev2 was the sonically superior version was not due to ebay: because i learnt that the rev2 was the older fatter brother back before ebay existed!
Old 6th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

i got mine by chance. and i wouldve been happy with the rev3.

secondly regarding rev2 vs rev3 hype.
well one thing leads to another. if there was no difference in sound then there would be little difference in price.

i know for a fact that the idea that the rev2 was the sonically superior version was not due to ebay: because i learnt that the rev2 was the older fatter brother back before ebay existed!
First of all, you're speculating as to why the prices are the same based entirely on opinion. What i'm saying, having watched prices since the 80s is that these more problematic rev 2s (and comparable earlier revs of other classics) weren't desirable back in the day-the resurgence is a recent phenomenom, and most of the interest is hearsay generated by some people. Within which are some who are sellers with vested interests. Most people don't really know if there's a considerable difference in sound, hence the constantly recycled online interest in trying to find out in lieu of direct experience.. Most read things somewhere and start fantasizing.

And the part about how different a rev 2 and 3 sound-find me an old school album on which there's a discernible difference. I lived that era and have hundreds of records that were slathered with analog. As a long time owner I can't hear any difference on records that used Prophets datinge back to the late 70s when they were first used. I would also suggest that most users if not you, don't find a huge difference. I don't see a lot of people online raving about the huge differences actually; most who are interested haven't heard both.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search