The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dynaudio BM5a vs BM6a
Old 10th March 2010
Gear Head

Dynaudio BM5a vs BM6a

Hi,
I have a verry small room so i was wondering if it's usefull to buy a set of Dynaudio BM6a iso BM5a. Is it better to first buy BM5a and than later when i have some money to buy a Sub?
Thanx!
Old 10th March 2010
Gear Nut

I use BM5a's in a small room and they sound great. Never heard the BM6a. In a small room I don't think you'll need a sub.
Old 10th March 2010
Lives for gear

If you mean BM6a and not the BM6amkII, then yes, they are definitely better. The BM6a's have mosfet based amps and will have plenty of bass for a small ish room without a sub.
Old 10th March 2010
Gear Head

Thanks!

At this moment i have a pair of Dynaudio BM5P with a ****ty hifi Amp.
Is it wise to keep them and buy a Amp like a Alesis RA300 or a Samson Servo 200???
The man from the musicshop said that an amp is a wast of money and that active speakers are a lot better, but he is a salesman heh
Old 10th March 2010
Lives for gear

I just bought the bm6a mkII's on saturday and I love them.. Crystal Clear and I use them with a KRK sub! The mkII's have a smaller tweeter than original bm6a's, but I too am in a small studio and the volume levels are pretty low, so I didnt feel the need to spend more for the bm6a originals..

The sales rep was saying that the bm5a's are BY FAR the best monitors money can buy for that price. If you are set up in a small studio, and want to save a bit of dough, u probably wont be disappointed in the bm5a's, but if you want to turn things up now and again, consider the bm6a..
Old 10th March 2010
Gear Addict

IMO Dynaudio rocks. I did a lot of research before buying and when I listened and compared all the other brands at Sam Ash and Guitar center, I went with Dynaudio.
Old 10th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mameboy View Post
Thanks!

At this moment i have a pair of Dynaudio BM5P with a ****ty hifi Amp.
Is it wise to keep them and buy a Amp like a Alesis RA300 or a Samson Servo 200???
The man from the musicshop said that an amp is a wast of money and that active speakers are a lot better, but he is a salesman heh

he's also a fool.
avoid the alesis ra and samson crap. too noisy (used to have an ra-100 sold it at a loss just to get rid of it after 1 week)
just get a good quality stereo hi-fi amp without fans off ebay or craigslist.
carver
hafler
nad
adcom

all are fantastic amps with much better current and noise floors than the integrated crappy op amp designs in amplified monitors. those amps in even the high mid priced monitors like dynaudios are barely above the level of garbage. i refuse to buy active monitors because i have a good amp and don't want to step down in the amp circuit. passives have the same crossovers and driver components as the actives just without the baggage of crappy amplification circuits.
Old 10th March 2010
Gear Head

Is a Hafler P3000 ok for my BM5P? saw one on Ebay, is cheaper than 2 new active speakers hehheh
Old 10th March 2010
Lives for gear

By the way, does anyone know difference between BM5a and BM5? I've seen pairs on ebay going for much less than two BM5a... Have been thinking about getting a pair...
Old 11th March 2010
Gear Addict

The BM5 is the passive version (no amplifier in the monitor) of the BM5a.

@W-W-Int
Passives do not have the same crossovers as the actives. The actives are bi-amped, they have seperate amplifiers for both drivers. This also means that they have an active crossover circuit.
📝 Reply