The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rhodes chroma value Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5th March 2010
Gear addict

Rhodes chroma value

does anyone know how much a rhodes chroma is worth ?
Old 5th March 2010
Lives for gear

Around the 3k mark.. They are well known for having a lot of issues though.
I think the main fault with the chroma is the PSU.. I don't have any first hand experience though.
Old 5th March 2010
Gear Addict

And one on eBay a year and a half ago, minimum bid $1500.00, went unsold.
Former owner here .... yes, lots of issues. I don't miss mine at all.
Old 6th March 2010
Lives for gear

They can be restored now to how they should have been new - new compact PSU, new enhanced CPU board, there is a lot of new bits out there and a lot of support now, a properly restored Chroma would be a great synth to play.
Old 6th March 2010
Lives for gear

Sure is!
Really funky expressive instrument one of my favourites..
Check out Herbie Hancock playing his Chroma:

YouTube - Herbie Hancock jams with his Fairlight CMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by triez View Post
a properly restored Chroma would be a great synth to play.
Old 19th March 2010
Gear interested

I maintain a price history for the Chroma and Polaris on my site.
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

mine ate itself :(

i miss it so bad its a completely awesome synth

one of the best

*sob*
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Addict

Hi, I will probably sell mine in great condition, MIDI CC+ MIDI interface, rock solid flight-case (original if my memory doesn't fail me), original double pedal. PM me if interested...
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachin boaz View Post
does anyone know how much a rhodes chroma is worth ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisryan View Post
I maintain a price history for the Chroma and Polaris on my site.
Man, Internet is just great at stuff like this:

One guy has an interest in buying some obscure piece of gear, and sure enough another guy has ALL the information about it, and then some.

Beautiful.

Was just amazed: that's all.
p.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
One guy has an interest in buying some obscure piece of gear, and sure enough another guy has ALL the information about it, and then some.
Then third guy steps in and sells his n

Great synth BTW
Old 20th March 2010
gdh
Gear Maniac

There are 3 for sale on the bay that I have been following, will be interesting to see what they go for.
Old 20th March 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdh View Post
There are 3 for sale on the bay that I have been following, will be interesting to see what they go for.
I don't see those. What are the item numbers?
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Chroma Polaris

Chroma Polaris is another great synth, literally like having a polyphonic Arp! (Well, because it is, I suppose heh)

-Andrews
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Maniac

The Chroma is FN awesome
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Addict

The Chroma is a strange beast when it comes to market value. You can still pick up a bargain if you get lucky. Mine cost £900GBP a few months ago in the UK - I got lucky with that! heh It was originally listed for £1.2k, but someone else beat me to it and went to try it out. Apparently it tuned 5 of the 8 voices, sounded great and then locked up and died after 45 mins of use. The other guy walked away and I was next in line. So we agreed on £300 off the price to cover the cost of replacing the PSU, I took a gamble on it and had it shipped to me in Ireland. The main reason I took a gamble was thanks to Chris Ryan's FANTASTIC support site - the best synth support site anywhere, hands down. Btw, hi Chris - Frank from Ireland here!

I personally think the Chroma is undervalued - mine is now working 100% and it sounds stunningly good, and lurking under the rather difficult user interface is basically a polyphonic modular. I read somewhere that ARP's vision for it was just that - an updated, polyphonic 2500. And also, there's talk of a comprehensive knob controller which will give full hands on control of the parameters.

It's up there with the best of them, and the combination of PSU upgrade, CC+ replacement CPU board with MIDI and the forthcoming poly pressure retrofit will put it up there with the VERY best...

Frank
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Maniac
I think 2500-3000 for a good one is around right, but i believe they will go up in value because of its historical value, rarity and mostly its unique sound quality. I always thought if it had a knobby panel it could have been the most sought after analog synth ever.
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Someone made a custom knob box for it (info on the Chroma User site) but they also said they are not interested in making more. Bummer.

But - I have a midi mod on my Chroma... anybody know if it would be possible to use something like a BCR2000 to control all the Chroma's parameters? If so, I'd pick up a midi knob box like this and dedicate it to just that one purpose.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
Someone made a custom knob box for it (info on the Chroma User site) but they also said they are not interested in making more. Bummer.

But - I have a midi mod on my Chroma... anybody know if it would be possible to use something like a BCR2000 to control all the Chroma's parameters? If so, I'd pick up a midi knob box like this and dedicate it to just that one purpose.
Short answer is yes if you have the MIDI CC+ CPU/MIDI board installed. Just for grins I started a control mapping for a Novation Remote Zero (since that's what I have) and it was pretty easy. If David Clarke and friends would simply add the code to drive a display, I'd be happy with that. Just enough to see the sources and stuff in the modulation and a few other params and that would be enough. The MIDI CC+ board already has a pin header on it to support hooking up a display.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Seeing as i own one of these i recon they must be worth at least $10000. LOL. Polyphonic modular ARP and all that.. Common guys, lets bump this synth up out of all proportion too heh
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
I have a midi mod on my Chroma... anybody know if it would be possible to use something like a BCR2000 to control all the Chroma's parameters? If so, I'd pick up a midi knob box like this and dedicate it to just that one purpose.
You should read this :
Rhodes Chroma · Chromatrol for Behringer B-Control
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutureboy View Post
Whoa. How did I miss that? Very cool. Although I don't have the CC+ upgrade in my Chroma, I do have the Syntech/Chroma Cult midi interface which I believe allows almost as much control of the Chroma's parameters from a midi knob box. I am so doing this....
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutureboy View Post
I'm waiting for this... heh

Frank

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search