The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice on electronic pop and hip hop music... Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 2nd March 2010
Gear Nut

Advice on electronic pop and hip hop music...

for the past 10 years or so, ive dedicated myself to learning the basic art of recording and mixing. i studied (both in and out of the classroom and/or studio) everything i could. i learned a seemingly endless array of subject matter. from corrective/creative eq to phase to masking. from mic placement technique to compression tricks... i feel like ive devoted myself to becoming a truly balanced engineer.

but lately ive decided to take on yet another task, i want to learn to make really good beats/electronic music. in the past ive been a "rock guy". but operating my own studio has brought me enough opportunity that i believe this is a necessary step for me.

so now i got a couple questions for you all:

what software would you guys recommend i do electronic sequencing in?
currently i run off a pc and already have cubase and reason. im happy to buy another program if necessary, but the key to the software im looking for is a speedy workflow. im not against using reason, but thus far it feels like no matter how much i learn it, i dont feel like i can "have my way with it" like i do cubase. it just seems hard to stay organized within the software i guess... i dont really like using rewire either, it works ok but i dont love it. i feel like running both programs side by side is awekward.

should i just get a bunch of refills or are there decent electronic sample libraries out there? if so, which ones do u recommend? im looking for elec, drum sounds as well as cool pop synths.

eventually, the plan is to make music ranging from postal service to brittany spears/ lady gaga to metro station to hip hop binstrumentals.

i have plenty more questions, but im pretty sure this is more than enough for now. as usual, thanks in advance. -Danny
Old 2nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Ableton Live DAW... Mind blowing flexibility, fast workflow.

FXPansion DCAM Synth Squad for synths... no other software synths come close.

Wave Alchemy drum sample libraries (Drum Machines, Drum Tools 1). Bad Ass.

If you have budget left over, Native Instruments Komplete.
... Particulary for Battery & FM8... but all the other stuff is amazing too.
Old 2nd March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyofmarge View Post
what software would you guys recommend i do electronic sequencing in?
currently i run off a pc and already have cubase and reason.
That should already be enough, really. Speedy workflow depends on your command of the software; do you know all the hotkeys? Do you have moments where you have to scratch your head because you forgot how to do X, or do you feel that you have to work against Cubase or Reason's "grain" to get something done you think should be obvious?

Quote:
should i just get a bunch of refills
Those don't teach you much.

Quote:
or are there decent electronic sample libraries out there?
Loopmasters has a bunch - but do you want to use these as scaffolding/support, or do you want to paint by numbers? The latter's a totally valid choice if you have clients breathing down your neck, but the first is cheaper.

I switched from Cubase to Live and was happy - but there's always a period of transition and Cubase does some particular things better than Live does. Download the 14-day fully functional demo and invest a few days in trying to get something done with it; if that's not the case, you didn't lose anything but time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonator View Post
FXPansion DCAM Synth Squad for synths... no other software synths come close.
One. Well, for Strobe/Cypher that is - and that's U-He ACE.
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
That should already be enough, really. Speedy workflow depends on your command of the software; do you know all the hotkeys? Do you have moments where you have to scratch your head because you forgot how to do X, or do you feel that you have to work against Cubase or Reason's "grain" to get something done you think should be obvious?
ive been using reason as an accessory to cubase for years... i know plenty of hot keys. and to be honest i never really have moments where i scratch my head to figure out how to do things. i feel like reason has a nice look to it, but when it comes to work flow it just hasnt really cut it for me.

also, im not sure what u mean by
"Loopmasters has a bunch - but do you want to use these as scaffolding/support, or do you want to paint by numbers?"
could you exlplain the whole "scaffolding/support vs. painting by numbers" thing further?

i want to be clear, i dont think that buying refills or sound libraries will make me any better at electronic music, i just want to make sure that ast an "artist" i have the right color of paints to paint with

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search