The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai Z8 Hard Disk Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 23rd February 2010
  #1
Gear interested
 

Akai Z8 Hard Disk

Hi, I´new here and I´ve just bought an Akai Z8 and the IBM HD stopped working after putting up 40GB of files throught USB...

I saw that in Ebay they sell even 250gb HD to put on the sampler, but I have some doubts, and ask you to please help me.

What I´ve found of information about accepted hd is:
  • It has to be an ATA Driver
  • Notebook size (is it really important to be that size or I can work with any?)
  • 7200 rpm minimum
  • Nowhere tells about the size limit, I´ve bought it with 60gb, but can I install a bigger hd in the 1.45 OS? Like 250GB?
And please, recommend me some brands... Seagate or any other?

This is my first sampler after 10 years on software... I don´t really like Kontakt anymore, every week there´s a new version out there.. lol...

Thank you in advance!
Old 24th February 2010
  #2
Gear interested
 

Well, the original one is IBM model IC35L060AVVA07-0

It´s ATA/IDE and it´s 7200 Rpm

Hitachi Deskstar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And it´s not a notebook size, it´s actually a 3,5 common hd size.

No Z8 or MPC 4000 owners here that tested any other HD?
Old 24th February 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
rokuez's Avatar
 

maybe try asking over at

mpc-forums.com

the mpc 4000 section.
Old 24th February 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Hello,

I've installed an 80GB Seagate IDE ATA100 7200 RPM Baraccuda drive (not notebook size) in the Z8 and it works perfectly. Just make sure the jumper is set to master. Seagate tends to be quiet and reliable so I just stick with that brand. A slower rpm drive would be even quieter, depends on what you want.

The mount for the HD in the Z8 is not for notebook size drives, but I'm sure it would not be very difficult to put one in there seeing as they are smaller, (but it may require some sort of cable adapter?).

I'm not aware of an upper size limit for the HD, none seems to be stated in the manual. It is FAT32 formatting, and I'm not aware of a size limit with that.

The ebay store selling the 250 GB drive does seem to know what they are talking about in general so I'd assume a drive of that size would work.

-Andrew
Old 16th March 2010
  #5
Gear interested
 

Akai Support has an answer:
support_akaipro
13:38 (2 minutos atrás)

Hello,

Any ATA/IDE 7200 RPM hard drive should work out well, such as the Seagate Barracuda ST3802110A 80GB 7200RPM replacement hard disk

Best Regards,

Technical Support
Numark | Alesis | Akai Pro | ION | Mixmeister

200 Scenic View Drive
Ste.201
Cumberland, RI 02864
401-658-4032

Old 3rd July 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Muser's Avatar
I just got a Z8 through today.

I just quick formatted my Z8 HD and it went a little flaky. so I full formatted it and it seems to be ok now.

I think maybe a build of of fragmentation or erroneous information on the Drive over time, might make them flaky. so a Full format might help there.

I think I will look to see if the OS can partition the Drive.

Edit: mm The drive is Flaky again. I will have to check if someone has replaced it and not put a jumper on the drive to set it to master. I'm also trying a full wipe now.

Google has this fragment of information cached.
There is a document there.

"Z8
Instructions for installing a hard drive and/or memory in a Z4/8 (*) (*) Whilst user installation of disk drives and/or memory is possible,"
www.akaipro.com/z8 - Cached
Old 3rd July 2010
  #7
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
I just got a Z8 through today.

I just quick formatted my Z8 HD and it went a little flaky. so I full formatted it and it seems to be ok now.

I think maybe a build of of fragmentation or erroneous information on the Drive over time, might make them flaky. so a Full format might help there.

I think I will look to see if the OS can partition the Drive.

Edit: mm The drive is Flaky again. I will have to check if someone has replaced it and not put a jumper on the drive to set it to master. I'm also trying a full wipe now.

Google has this fragment of information cached.
There is a document there.

"Z8
Instructions for installing a hard drive and/or memory in a Z4/8 (*) (*) Whilst user installation of disk drives and/or memory is possible,"
www.akaipro.com/z8 - Cached
Hi there, I´ve installed a 40gb Seagate HD with jumpers set to Master and full formatted it...

Fully functional... just have to transfer the samples via USB now.

This is what I´ve done: Removed the old HD, installed the new one, turned on, load menu, format... wait about 30min.
Old 4th July 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Muser's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deck-o View Post
Hi there, I´ve installed a 40gb Seagate HD with jumpers set to Master and full formatted it...

Fully functional... just have to transfer the samples via USB now.

This is what I´ve done: Removed the old HD, installed the new one, turned on, load menu, format... wait about 30min.
Hi.

Yes my drive turned out to be shot too. I also put in a 40GIG. The one I removed from the MV8000 on replacement.

The Z8 is OS V 1.45. both the Quick & full format both seemed to finish in a few minutes. not sure why yours took 30 mins.

it might be that over time, the Z8 may make drives fail for some reason.
The drive was operational when I got it but when I formatted the Drive it failed then. The Drive inside was a Western Digital WD800 Caviar SE 80GIG. model WD P/N: WD800JB-00JJA0

I might install a Dual Compact Flash unit in the Future. when CF memory is lower in price. partly to make the unit, silent / lighter & require less electrical load. but the front USB unit (should theoretically) be seen as a drive, so USB sticks are a CF equivalent.

anyhow, it sounds good and feels fast and expressive. faster & more responsive than software samplers. easier to program too. I'm also learning to appreciate the way Akai approach their Multi & program way of manipulating keymaps. though I would like to be able to merge keymaps into single porgram & keymaps. but maybe this is impossible because of the Keymaps only having a max 4 way switch.

we shall see.
Old 4th July 2010
  #9
In my Mpc4000 I put in a 120GB. I think formatting took something like 45 min... but it was so long ago I can't really remember.

Memory servers me as 120 GB or 160 GB is the max.
Old 6th July 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Muser's Avatar
My Z8 doesn't have a fan in it actually. not sure if this is by design.. it has the metalwork there ready, but I can't locate where it would plug in on the board.

the other day I switched it off and on again and it blew the internal fuse.

They are T2.5 A H 250 Volt ceramic fuses. I would get a supply of some of these if I were you. searching ebay is starting to turn out bad these days, because ebay is rejecting finds which do not include the (exact) terms used. so clever listers with high prices and (exact term matches) are getting the views. some prices are ridiculous. it works better to search google and include ebay in the search term.

make sure you get the right fuse. (T) stands for time delay. the ceramic have a high current surge capability and are filled with a quartz dust so that when they blow a metallic film can't form and make a possible circuit.

The Z8 gets warm I think, and when you switch it off and on, there is likely a latent charge in the caps. so if it's hot and you switch it off and on the aggregate conditions may blow the fuse.
so if it's warm and you turn it off, it might be a good idea not to turn it right back on.


I might actually put in an external fuse holder because getting inside can be a pain. anyhow, thought I'd fill any Z8 user in on this, so..

maybe it applies to a MPC4000 too.

also.. the 80GIG HD which failed had these specs.
5volt DC 0.35A
12Volt DC 0.50A

the 40GIG I replaced it with had these.
5volt DC 0.559A
12Volt DC 0.601A

an electronics technician I know said that the PSU units in hardware, often prove sensitive to alterations in the voltage specs. so basically, putting a drive in with higher voltages can push these specs over.

you can see this 40GIG drive uses somewhat more voltage.. especially in the 5Volt rail.
It's likely a better drive, but it maybe helped cause the fuse to blow.
Old 7th July 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
mamero's Avatar
Is it possible to put a solid state drive in the Z8? I have an s6000 I'm thinking of upgrading. For that matter... Is it possible to put a solid state drive in an s6000?
Old 8th July 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Muser's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
Is it possible to put a solid state drive in the Z8? I have an s6000 I'm thinking of upgrading. For that matter... Is it possible to put a solid state drive in an s6000?
SDD are mostly a waist of money in samplers. it's easier and cheaper to use CF cards.
they are the same technology (generally). SDDs are higher performance than CFs but a 150x or 300x is no slouch. a lot of the time the internal mechanism is pretty slow anyway.. It's basically a non issue in the round.. a 300X CF is going to be 5MEG a second at worst.

Most SDD drives are SATA. not IDE.
IDE is also known as PATA and ATA.
The most usefull CF cards are UDMA mode cards. but, in practice the normal ones all seem to work fine. I even boot three of my old laptops from 4GIG and 8GIG CF cards. These cards are nothing special. Try not to get a Microdrive by mistake though. These are actually Mini Hard Drives in a thicker CF Body. I think they are called Type II Cards.

Best and safest sizes for samplers are 2GIG downwards in size.

I have an external Dual PCMCIA to CF card SCSI reader Writer. basically the MCDISK / spyrus Drive. scsiforsamplers do those too. they are external so obviously you can hook those in as silent Drives on a SCSI bus. these are Dual so take up 2 SCSI IDs. You need PCMCIA to CF or SD card adapters for these too.

Z8 Easy. just use a IDE to CF card adaptor. either internally.(inaccessible).

http://www.addonics.com/products/fla...ad44midecf.asp

or accessible.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...d=0CB8Q8wIwAA#

For the S6000 I think I would look at scsiforsamplers.com and replace the floppy with their SCSI CF reader.

There are some units you can get which convert scsi to ide and then you can connect that to an ide to CF card reader converter.. will it work ? no idea. if it works, will it work consistently under all conditions ? no idea.

It will also be messy to install and you won't have easy access to it.

If I used a S6000 I would get a dedicated SCSI unit and replace the Floppy Drive with it.. neat fit, accessible and the vendor knows their stuff.

I wouldn't mind an S6000 but I think the Z8 is more powerful actually.
appart from the fact that you can expand an S6K a lot, that is.
Old 8th July 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
mamero's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
SDD are mostly a waist of money in samplers. it's easier and cheaper to use CF cards.
they are the same technology (generally). SDDs are higher performance than CFs but a 150x or 300x is no slouch. a lot of the time the internal mechanism is pretty slow anyway.. It's basically a non issue in the round.. a 300X CF is going to be 5MEG a second at worst.

Most SDD drives are SATA. not IDE.
IDE is also known as PATA and ATA.
The most usefull CF cards are UDMA mode cards. but, in practice the normal ones all seem to work fine. I even boot three of my old laptops from 4GIG and 8GIG CF cards. These cards are nothing special. Try not to get a Microdrive by mistake though. These are actually Mini Hard Drives in a thicker CF Body. I think they are called Type II Cards.

Best and safest sizes for samplers are 2GIG downwards in size.

I have an external Dual PCMCIA to CF card SCSI reader Writer. basically the MCDISK / spyrus Drive. scsiforsamplers do those too. they are external so obviously you can hook those in as silent Drives on a SCSI bus. these are Dual so take up 2 SCSI IDs. You need PCMCIA to CF or SD card adapters for these too.

Z8 Easy. just use a IDE to CF card adaptor. either internally.(inaccessible).

CF Hard Drive Adapter from Addonics

or accessible.

StarTech.com 3.5in Drive Bay IDE to Single CF SSD Adapter Card Reader Card reader ( internal ) - IDE - CompactFlash Card type I, CompactFlash Card type II, Microdrive - PC

For the S6000 I think I would look at scsiforsamplers.com and replace the floppy with their SCSI CF reader.

There are some units you can get which convert scsi to ide and then you can connect that to an ide to CF card reader converter.. will it work ? no idea. if it works, will it work consistently under all conditions ? no idea.

It will also be messy to install and you won't have easy access to it.

If I used a S6000 I would get a dedicated SCSI unit and replace the Floppy Drive with it.. neat fit, accessible and the vendor knows their stuff.

I wouldn't mind an S6000 but I think the Z8 is more powerful actually.
appart from the fact that you can expand an S6K a lot, that is.
Wow. Some great information!

A couple questions. You mention CF. SD seems to be cheaper. Could SD be used in place of CF?

Also... What do you like about the Z8 over the s6000? I have a lead on a Z8 at the moment and I should be be able to break even if I sell my S6000. I think the Z8 has better midi implementation for CC which is a big draw for me.

Thanks!
Old 8th July 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Muser's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
Wow. Some great information!

A couple questions. You mention CF. SD seems to be cheaper. Could SD be used in place of CF?

Also... What do you like about the Z8 over the s6000? I have a lead on a Z8 at the moment and I should be be able to break even if I sell my S6000. I think the Z8 has better midi implementation for CC which is a big draw for me.

Thanks!
well, SD is fine. even if you use a SD to CF converter, because the Hardware card adapters are (generally) CF and not SD. I think the Z8 has better general USB implementations too. so you can put in a CD ROM USB (or) USB stick in the Front with no issues. it even takes a keyboard for naming. not that it's needed especially.

I'm not sure if the S6000 has Multi's . which are basically 128 multi program setups. other than that the hardware is more manageable size wise and the architecture may have more source and destination modulation routings..
also the Z8 has 8 assignable knobs and these are really really well implemented. the Z8 also has 32 filter types and a Triple Filter.

I haven't read the S6000 manual so I am not fully sure.

I wouldn't say make a switch.. you have to determine that for yourself but I think you'll find the Z8 a very good replacement if that's what you do.
Old 16th March 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
mamero's Avatar
I have been running an SSD drive in my z8 using an IDE to sata adapter for about 10 months with no issues. Out of no where the drive crapped out. It was replaced under warranty by OCZ with a newer version drive of the same size. Now no matter what I try I can not get the Z8 to recognize the new drive. It works fine in my PC. The adapter also works in my PC. Any ideas how I can get the Z8 to see the drive? It is formatted for fat32.
Old 16th March 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 

I don't know if this helps but I had a
Z-8 until about 5 or 6 months ago that I rarely used anymore so I sold it on CL to a working touring band that actually uses several Z-8s(6 or 8 if I remember correctly).
1/2 as dedicated backups,just in case.......
The person I sold it to called me a bit later as he was having a hard time getting the Z-8 to boot,just as he called me it finally booted after not booting on about 4 or 5 attempts.
I told him I honestly never had any problems with it but I hadn't been using it for a while.
He said ,it probably just needs a new hd,he told me he'd try putting in a new drive as he already had a few extra drives anyway.
He told me he'd let me know if the Z-8 had any issues after he put in a new hd,he also said this is very common.
I never heard back from him so I guess this solved the problem.
Remember these units are close to 10 years old,hard drives aren't designed for that kind of longevity & rarely last 10 years.
Good luck ;-)
Old 16th March 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Muser's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
I have been running an SSD drive in my z8 using an IDE to sata adapter for about 10 months with no issues. Out of no where the drive crapped out. It was replaced under warranty by OCZ with a newer version drive of the same size. Now no matter what I try I can not get the Z8 to recognize the new drive. It works fine in my PC. The adapter also works in my PC. Any ideas how I can get the Z8 to see the drive? It is formatted for fat32.
I'm not sure. It would be handy to determine the Z8 drive bus works with a different drive.
Old 11th May 2014
  #18
Gear interested
 

Mounting a Harddrive into Akai Z4

Hello All,

I recently acquired an Akai Z4 but it came without a harddrive and no cabling at all, it has the standard 16MB memory but that was easily upgraded with some old dimms I had lying around. For the harddrive I got myself an 80Gig Seagate, but that's when the mystery started, where do I connect the powersupply for the drive? I can't find any info in the manual I got from Akaipro.com

Can anyone walk me through it?

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 11th May 2014
  #19
Most of them have some molex type connector that you need to use. I would always use a dmm and check the voltages for your drive. you don't want to damage both devices.



best pictures and info was In German:


Fragen zum AKAI Z4/Z8
Old 11th May 2014
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Muser's Avatar
you can see here.

Old 18th July 2014
  #21
Gear interested
 

Hi, thanks for the link in german, the guy that solved it basically DIY'd a cable from a PC for the job.

I think this might work. Thank you very much for your help!
Old 4th May 2018
  #22
Here for the gear
 
NickLimegrove's Avatar
 

Quote:
Memory servers me as 120 GB or 160 GB is the max.
Just to update this thread regarding that question:

I successfully installed a Seagate Barracuda 7200, 500GB into my Z4. Formatting (full) took about two or three minutes. Everything went well except the disk was formatted to only 127GB. Looks like your memory was pretty much spot-on.
Old 4th May 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Seems like it works just as fast and efficiently with a usb pen drive sticking out the front.Useful also for just popping in and out your computer.

edit-and nice and quiet too....
Old 12th May 2018
  #24
Here for the gear
 
NickLimegrove's Avatar
 

There's a post somewhere on the MPC4000 forum saying that it *is* possible to use a 500GB HDD to its full capacity if you format it in a regular PC and then install it in a Z4/Z8/MPC4000. What I ended up doing though was simply use an old 80GB Barracuda instead of that big one -- which I found way too noisy.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
starscream2010 / Music Computers
15
gurubuzz / So much gear, so little time
28
firstclizzy / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
3
Beech / Low End Theory
5
cajonezzz / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump