The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akai S1000 S1100 questions
Old 18th February 2010
Lives for gear

Akai S1000 S1100 questions

Hi guys,

Blew the dust of my Akai. Im quite rusty. Im trying to assign one sampled phrase to a different key. So for EG

C0 - Bassline
D0 Arp
etc etc

Ive assigned samples into keygroups and selected the correct keys and adjusted the original key for each so they all play back at the correct speed.

Thing is I want to assign each phrase to a different output.

The only place I can find to do this is if I create a program.

IE You go EDIT PROG > MIDI > OUT and then assign MONO OUT.

Doest that mean you cant assign separate outs to key-groups and instead have to assign them to Programs?

So for 8 phrases/raw samples Id need 8 keygroups (each with only 1 sample in) and then need 8 programs to house the 8 keygroups that house the 8 samples????

****, I though a program would hold all of my keygroups but Id only need one Program for my 8 keygroups? Is this not right?

Any help appreciated.
Old 18th February 2010
go to edit prog mode then hit the hot key: SMP1 here you can turn off keyboard tracking so you don't need to correct for pitch,
second go to SMP2 where you can assign output per keygroup rather than program.

or to assign outputs on a program by program level go to MIX
Old 18th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

SMP2 doesn't assign output mate.
go Edit PROG then KGRP then SMP2. it's there.
what options do get on your SMP2 screen mate?
Lives for gear

yep, I hear you loud and clear and thank you for your time, but the function of that parameter is not to assign outputs.

From the manual. (haha, no one dare RTFM me)

The "out" parameter requires a little explanation. If a program is assigned to be played through one of the eight individual output channels, an "offset" can be added to each sample in the program which is added to the basic output channel to determine the output channel from which the sample will eventually be output. For example, if a program is assigned to be played through channel 3, and four sample "out"s are set in this page to be 0, +1, +1 and +2, these samples will be played through channels 3, 4, 4 and 5 respectively. If value of the basic output channel added to the offset here goes above 8, the number "wraps round". In this way, if the basic out channel is 6, and the offset value set here is 6, the total is 12. This will be automatically changed to 4 (12 - 8).
Lives for gear

^^^^^ Mind if you can make sense of that your better than me.

Cant see why anyone would need such a stupid function.
Lives for gear

you any other ideas buddy? Im stumped!
Lives for gear

oh mate, dont go. At least you had half a clue what im on about. No one else does.
Gear Addict

Well, I'm pretty rusty too, but iirc you have to assign the outs as a program. Here's the thing. You can use the offset function to do what you want. Make your program and have every keymap assigned to mono output 1, regardless of where you want it to go. Then, go into SMP2 and use the offset function to move the chosen keygroup over by X number of outputs. for instance, your C0 bassline offset is set to 0, and so it defaults to mono output 1 as you set up in PRGM. Your D0 Arp offset gets sets to 1, which then moves the specified output up by 1, making it appear on output 2.

Give it a whirl, that should work if I am remembering correctly, but it's been a long time since I've used a 1000. I have a 950 that's been on loan to a friend for ages, and I haven't fired up my 3200XL or my 5000 for a while (renovating the house).

Last edited by Konketsu; 18th February 2010 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: dur formatting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
oh mate, dont go. At least you had half a clue what im on about. No one else does.
calm down dear, i was putting my kid to bed. and now i'm making dinner...!
Lives for gear

hiya Kon,

That sounds great in theory. Ill give it a go and report back. Thanks mate.
yea the SMP2 out function is what you need. it offsets from the MIX value to be found in the SELECT PROG> MIX page. now i have to make din dins
Gear Addict

n/p. Hope it works for you, but like I said, this is from memory and the last time I used a 1000 was, well, last millennium.
Lives for gear

ok, in SELECT PROB > MIX I have set my program O/P to 1

I have drum loop as keygroup 1 set to out +0 (which im hoping will equate to physical output 1 of 8??)

I have then set my pad as keygroup 2 set to out +2 (hoping for physical output 2?)

......... Guys it works!!! Hey, thanks tons for both your input. Really helpful. Sending good karma yourway!
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Addict

AKAI S1000 mute group / effect loop question

Hi!

I've got two questions regarding for AKAI S1000 users:

a.) Is there a way to define mute groups in the S1000? (For ex. to make open and closed hihats mute each other.) I didn't find any clue to this in the OS or in the manual...

b.) Is it possible to send only a single selected sample of a program through the effect loop (for ex. just the snare of a drumkit)? The manual seems to imply this on page 22, but then doesn't detail how it can be done and I didn't find an option for this in the OS.
Of course I could create a separate single-sample program and then send this new program through the fx loop, but thought it could be done nicer.

Thanks for any input!

j
Old 4th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

To effect only a single sample, another option would be to send the selected sample(s) through an individual output, to the fx unit's input and then return the fx unit's output normally on the S1000's fx stereo return. Of course this way the fx unit should be set up to let through the dry sample too.
So my b.) question is more concerned with if it's possible to set up fx routing in the S1000's OS on a single sample basis or just for whole programs only?
Old 6th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Anyone?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith1261 View Post
Hi!

I've got two questions regarding for AKAI S1000 users:

a.) Is there a way to define mute groups in the S1000? (For ex. to make open and closed hihats mute each other.) I didn't find any clue to this in the OS or in the manual...
Still learning my Akais here. I think the 'Polyphony' param on the Edit Program->MIDI page might be the way to do this if you restrict it to 1. Looks like that is global for the Program, so you'd have to keep your hats on their own Program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith1261 View Post
b.) Is it possible to send only a single selected sample of a program through the effect loop (for ex. just the snare of a drumkit)? The manual seems to imply this on page 22, but then doesn't detail how it can be done and I didn't find an option for this in the OS.
Of course I could create a separate single-sample program and then send this new program through the fx loop, but thought it could be done nicer.
I've just had a look at my S1000 and S1100 and their manuals and despite what the rear-panel part of the manual says, it looks like it's only per Program. Maybe it was a planned feature that never appeared.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Still learning my Akais here. I think the 'Polyphony' param on the Edit Program->MIDI page might be the way to do this if you restrict it to 1. Looks like that is global for the Program, so you'd have to keep your hats on their own Program.
That's a possible solution, thanks for suggesting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
I've just had a look at my S1000 and S1100 and their manuals and despite what the rear-panel part of the manual says, it looks like it's only per Program. Maybe it was a planned feature that never appeared.
Yeah, most likely that was the case... would have been a nice feature though.
Old 10th April 2012
Akai S1000 / S1100 questions

Sorry if I opened up a new thread for something that might have been talked about a lot here, but I didn't really find all my questions answered, or have just been more confused after some reading.

Like many here I try to move slightly away from an all ITB studio and would love me a nice hybrid setting going on.

So my first steps are looking for hw samplers.
I haven't had any Akais in the 90s, but I heard the classical early S-sound over and over and played around with an S1000 at a friends place once and instantly fell in love with it. It is but so lovely!

I'd love to buy one, maybe even a combo. Something like S1000/1100 and a S950 or so, since they're so cheap.

Now I need some help understand how exactly I could integrate it the easiest into my setup. I don't necessarily think about signal chaining or DAW integration but more about how to put up with data storage etc.

Since most disk drives won't work anymore on the old samplers and they'd been a source of hassle anyway, I'd like to use hard disks or something to store my samples. I would be sampling some stuff direct into the Akai from vinyl but also need a way to transport already cut samples from my computer onto a hd or ZIP or whatever to get going in the sampler.

How do you guys do this? There was this cardreader thing I read about but it looks like the spare parts for this method are rare on the web too.

Do I really have to put up with ZIP drives and all that? Is there a way to fill a hd with samples and get this connected or installed to the Akai?

Thanks!
Old 10th April 2012 | Show parent
szf
Lives for gear

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...lutions-4.html

This has been covered above ^

S1100:
1) PCD50B (Multicard SCSI drive)
2) Acard 7720 /w Compact flash/SD drive

S950 - HxC
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7698735-post130.html
.... Link http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=42

Or get a S950 with SCSI.. then add a reader/external drive etc. but expect to pay 700+ for a SCSI 950!
Old 13th April 2012 | Show parent
Hi sfz,

thank you very much for that!
Looks like the SCM PCD-50B would be a good solution.
I still don't have the machine, but I might get an S1100 in a couple of days. And as I actually plan on just getting certain bass and drumsounds, maybe some loops into the sampler, I might also just sample these, as it all looks a little complicated to come by and get going, hw- and sw-wise.

So the next question would be about the ZIP-drives:

What actually can I save to ZIP from the sampler? Will the editing on the samples be saved as well (-loops, assignments etc.) and be recalled later?
The ZIP drive would have to be SCSI or is there another way to connect to the S1100?
Is there a handy option to connect a ZIP drive to a Computer (Mac) these days or do I have to get some kind of SCSI-USB/FW converter?
I would be kind of afraid of loosing my Data on the ZIPs, so I'd like to at least copy them (-I could actually just save the same sample to two different ZIPs, I guess?) or back them up. Are these things sturdy enough to live for some years?

Thank you very much!
szf
Lives for gear

I'd advise to forget zip disks/drives.. very unreliable.. If you follow my advise you will be using stable compact flash/cd cards, not zips

These akais don't save audio in wav format, also use custom file system... if you insert a compact flash card into your pc that has S1100 audio/programs on it, it will not recognize it. To convert audio over you need to use chicken sys translator or cd xtract.
Haven't tried this with the 950... as you loose sampler character this way.. without the output stage colouring.

Importing samples from your pc is also not straight forward for the 1100, it can be done with translator... but it's really buggy.
When I tested it, I had to first convert all my drum sounds into stereo, otherwise it crashed. For me I got nicer results recording PC out -> sampler input... after sampling > 40 drums you start to get really fast.. I prefer the sound this way also, as it gets nicely coloured, and you can overdrive the drums slightly.. which sounds much nicer on these older samplers than most new ones... esp. on the S950! .. That takes overdriving really well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekkobelli View Post
Will the editing on the samples be saved as well (-loops, assignments etc.) and be recalled later?
Yes!
Superb, I will get old fashioned and just sample the best bits of my library new!
Should be fun anyway!
I just remembered one more thing: If I get a sampler with an older OS, is it possible to somehow transfer a newer, downloaded one to the sampler via ZIP or CF-card?
Gear Addict

For the S1000/S1100 I used to boot with a floppy containing the latest OS. You couldn't 'flash' the latest OS onto the system from disk - Akai used to change the chips back at base for that. I'm not certain if you an boot an OS from an attached SCSI drive, but get an old floppy and leave it in the drive with the latest OS and you should be fine.
Gear Maniac

buy external scsi zip drive 250mb from ebay

buy usb zip drive for your laptop, pc, windows

buy chickensys translator for converting and saving to zip drive

download os 4 and save to floppy drive: Akai S1000 / S1100 | Martin78.com
Gear Guru

Consider the idea of using the sampler without saving. I don't really bother saving my S1000, but instead play the sound just made back into audio straight into the tune and done. Or put him over an insert in record mode with whatever gain setting that sounds how I want and bounce an audio track from it. Or sample drums into him and put them straight back in the computer sampler (whichever) to use. And then just switch him off. He's a processor to me. Might run some drums live up the desk at some point, but the main magic is importable like above (provided you have decent converters).
szf
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just remembered one more thing: If I get a sampler with an older OS, is it possible to somehow transfer a newer, downloaded one to the sampler via ZIP or CF-card?
Don't know if that works, but it's better to update the OS eproms.
Ebay, s1100 OS
I had to bend the pins on them til they fitted, also besides the hard disk recording option showing up, I noticed no difference.. 4.03 vs 4.30
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Software – the internal operating system (OS), also known as "firmware" – comes in two forms as far as the sampler is concerned. Firstly, it can be in two EPROM chips plugged into the motherboard. (EPROMs are chips which can be programmed with ones and zeroes, and then erased with ultraviolet light, to be programmed again.) Secondly the operating system can be on either floppy or hard-disk. With these, the sampler must have some version of the software in EPROM, and once it boots up and finds an operating system on a floppy or hard disk, it loads that in place of the version in the EPROM. The advantage of having it in EPROM is that there is no delay when turning the machine on. The advantage of it being on disc is that if your sampler has old versions in EPROM, you can use the latest version of software on disk without the need to reprogram or replace those EPROMs. If your sampler has a hard disk, you can boot the machine with the new OS on floppy, and write it to the hard disk.
From here

One gotcha with the EPROM route is I think the SCSI ID may be hard set to a certain ID and your drive or drives SCSI IDs have to be set to not clash with it. With a floppy or hard disk OS you can save the SCSI ID with the OS. Not 100% sure on this but it's been in the back of my mind. In theory it shouldn't matter as long as they don't clash but I've found some IDs work better than others!
πŸ“ Reply