The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akai S1000 S1100 questions
Old 13th April 2012 | Show parent
szf
Lives for gear

That's true, but haven't had any problem with that myself, I set the ID on my pcd to 5 .. that drive also needs the jumpers set to termination.. my 1100ex had problems before I did that.
Then set my SCSI cd rom ID to 6.. no worries.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szf View Post
That's true, but haven't had any problem with that myself, I set the ID on my pcd to 5 .. that drive also needs the jumpers set to termination.. my 1100ex had problems before I did that.
Then set my SCSI cd rom ID to 6.. no worries.
Yes, should be able to work around the fixed Akai ID really. What is your whole SCSI chain? S1100, S1100ex, PCD and CD-ROM all on the SCSI chain? I've got an MCDISK and a Toshiba 4x CD-ROM with my S1000 and I don't think they get on that well, they work okay on their own but I get corrupted samples loading in from the CD-ROM with both hooked up. The cables should be alright, they're chunky Lindy branded ones. CD-ROM drives that work well with the old Akais are quite hard to find now.
Gear Addict

Welcome to the club. Me too I love a hybrid studio setup.

Try to get a S-1100. It sounds little better and has normalize function. Great A/Ds And D/As. Very cool stereo delay function.

Buy an external SCSI Zip or Jaz Drives. They work fine.

Sudad G
szf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Yes, should be able to work around the fixed Akai ID really. What is your whole SCSI chain? S1100, S1100ex, PCD and CD-ROM all on the SCSI chain? I've got an MCDISK and a Toshiba 4x CD-ROM with my S1000 and I don't think they get on that well, they work okay on their own but I get corrupted samples loading in from the CD-ROM with both hooked up. The cables should be alright, they're chunky Lindy branded ones. CD-ROM drives that work well with the old Akais are quite hard to find now.
Yea, that's my chain, had to terminate the 1100ex with the jumpers on the back of it, and with those big scsi terminators. Only used the cd rom a few times, just to convert my fav akai programs to compact flash.
I actually got glitched/clicking samples also sometimes, didn't investigate it further.
Have 3 scsi cd roms, one is an apple that came with another akai, never worked for me.
The other 2 that work ok: one is an official akai approved unit (property of akai, not for sale msg on bottom?!) .. and a plextor I got with an mpc2kxl.
Gear Addict

Here they will help you in any questions of data storages with old samplers.

C-LAB Media Products GmbH

I got there drives for my AKAI S-1100, for my old Roland S-750 and for my Emu E6400 a cd-rom / zip combination.

Sudad G
Very good, so right now I could choose from two S1100's:

One with a broken display backlight, which I heard was easy and cheap to fix and installed OS 4.30

The other has a bright and working display backlight (probably changed) and ZIP drive, cable and three 100MB ZIPs but OS 2.0

So while the second means less hassle, it also means a more dated OS.
What else than the HD recording capabilities is offered by the 4.30 OS in comparison to the 2.0?

Anything important I'd miss out on with the 2.0?
Old 14th April 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Eproms here:

AKAI S1100 OS EPROMS V4.30 – Direct-to-Disk Recording

Google shows up a bunch of floppys too (be wary tho, the displays and floppy drives are usually the first to go). Hard drive recording is really the only update of note. You can save the OS to floppy from the sampler too, so anyone with latest OS/S1100 could send you a disk. Seems pretty frIendly on here :-)

Backlights are pretty easy to cone by too. Personally I would go with the latest OS/repairing the baclight version option.

To be honest, I used to be sponsered by Akai Uk - i have a rack of everything they released and haven't used any of it for years (it was totally awesome back in the day) I think you are overrating the Akai 'sound' on their legacy kit. It's real strength was in functions like timestretch which we take for granted now.
Old 10th June 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I just got one. I like the sound of it but it alters the samples when i rename them and some of the samples sound different when played into programs and that is by playing the root key. The OS version is 1.39.

So i guess there must be updates other than HD rec with v4.3 as in bug fixes
Gear Guru

Check your program settings. There'll be something affecting the filter making for the difference.
szf
Lives for gear

Exactly... the renaming is instant... no chance it could change the sample data that fast.
Old 22nd June 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Ok guyz thanks, i'm working on that.

Do u know what kind of floppies it works with? Just got a few samsungs to use until i fit a card reader in the sampler. They read "double sided high density" diskettes. They're brand new. But the s1100 cannot read/format them, it says unreadable format! or unformatted.

Anyone know?
Old 22nd June 2012 | Show parent
szf
Lives for gear

Double density and high should work.. at least on mine they did..
Brand new doesn't mean they're not corrupted.. Easist thing is to try the disks in another drive to make sure they work...
If your akai floppy drive turns out to work.. don't forget to sell it on ebay to cover some of the cost of the compact flash card drive
Old 23rd June 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Double density and high should work.. at least on mine they did..
Brand new doesn't mean they're not corrupted.. Easist thing is to try the disks in another drive to make sure they work...
If your akai floppy drive turns out to work.. don't forget to sell it on ebay to cover some of the cost of the compact flash card drive
Good tip about the floppy drive lol.

Anyway the point is i got a set of 10 disks. I unpacked them out of the box myself. They were never used. So i reckon they should've worked in the s1100. I tried more of them. The s1100 formats them but still unable to read them. I guess your point is even though i unpacked them brand new they still can be corrupt i get it.

About testing the disks, i don't quite have a computer with a floppy drive handy but i can get access to one. Untill then i'll buy other disks and try those, my feeling is the floppy drive runs properly.

About a CF reader, can u recomend where to get one? Apart from the guy who used to sell them on here (not anymore it seems). They're quite hard to find
szf
Lives for gear

NEW! PCD-47b + PCMCIA adapter + 2GB Used TRANSCEND CF KIT Pcd-47b Scsi card reader with Pcmcia adapter and 2GB used CF from Mechware [pcd47bPcmcia2GBcf] - $93.00 : /\/\ech\/\/are!, Products for your retro machine!

The pcmcia adapter isn't optional... you need that for it to work.... so id recommed the above kit.... unless you have a stack of compact flash cards. get the kit without then.

Here's the info from the reviews on there:
Quote:
Tested/confirmed working with the s1000hd & s1100 ..

Also it's hot swappable, only works with the pcmcia to cf adapter, set the scsi id to 5 via jumpers.

Note: only about 500mb can be used on any compact flash card.. this is a limit on the samplers, not the reader]

Tips mainly geared towards the s1100:

Get a female floppy style power connector to female molex 4 pin adapter and use the old floppy power connector on the motherboard to power it. The yellow wire is not req. [+12v] for the card reader .. and the akai doesn't output any voltage on that connector pin anyway.

SCSI:
Use a flat scsi 1-2 50pin cable, minimum 45cm/18" [this one from mechware should do the trick 'Scsi Cable Flat 18" 50Pin 2 Connectors -USED-']

I had to connect the cable the wrong way around onto the internal scsi connector in the s1100, i.e. so the plastic notch on the cable connector was facing the wrong way.. maybe my cable was just wired up backwards or something like that [was not sourced from mechware], however if you get a "Waiting for hard disk ready....SKIP" msg .. try what I suggested.

s1000hd users don't need any of these cables, just use the built in scsi cable attached to the hard drive and pertaining hd power connector.. The floppy and it's cables get taken out. Same as on s1100, Done
Gear Guru

Hey, will that work on a regular non SCSI S1000 (like I bought off you), or does it need to be an HD version or S1100?
szf
Lives for gear

You need the 1000hd/1100 as you said... or try to find a scsi card seperately to go into your 1000.
Can sell you my hd if you want it.. Also have a spare 1mb ram module that could go into your 1000.
Gear Guru

Quote:
You need the 1000hd/1100 as you said... or try to find a scsi card seperately to go into your 1000.
Can sell you my hd if you want it.. Also have a spare 1mb ram module that could go into your 1000.
Hmmm, might have a lead on an S1100.........could be that it makes sense to sell my 1000 and get that and put the reader in him....sampler jugglin
Lives for gear

szf hey man thanks for the info that really helps cheers!
Old 21st August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

i just got a s1000 and it is in **** condition except for the screen which funny enough is a bit brighter than on my 1100 which looks mint. do you know does the ram on the 1000 work on the 1100? the 1000 got scsi interface as well if anyone needs one
szf
Lives for gear

ram is interchangeable, get a new el backlight on ebay for the 1100, makes a big difference.
Lives for gear

the 2mb board as well? i can see it has a wire screwed on to something in the 1000. but it wont be possible on the 1100. its slot is already taken by the 2mb card inthere which is positioned the same as in the 1000.

bear in mind i'm no electrician

can i just remove it and fit it into the s1100 without screwing that little wire?

and about the front side? how do you remove the rec level and the main volume buttons so i can remove the front side? do you just pull them out? it seems like the only solution yet the are quite stiff
szf
Lives for gear

I wondered the same thing about that wire.... but turns out it doesn't matter.
Only some ram configs work, i.e. if a 2mb is in slot one, the rest also need to be 2mb.. or something along those lines
Info is in here somewhere 32 Megabyte Sampler Memory
... I just tested the ram in different slots to see what combo worked
Old 11th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

You re right i tried different combos for the ram myself but the point is it works.

Do you know, is the SCSI board from an s1100 going to work on the 1000? And vice versa
Old 11th October 2012 | Show parent
szf
Lives for gear

Yea the scsi cards are interchangeable... tested this myself... s1000hd scsi card in s1100
Old 28th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

AKAI S1000 Questions

How are sounds organized on the S1000? Can I create folders on it to keep all my piano sounds together and separate from organ sounds etc?

If it doesn't have the latest operating system (OS v.4.40) is it expensive or difficult to add that operating system in the future?

Same question for the RAM. If it has less than the maximum amount of RAM (32 Megs) is it hard to find more RAM and is it expensive?

What is the largest harddrive you can add? Any advice and tips on how to max out the S1000 in every aspect would be really helpful ie type of cdrom to add, harddrive or zip drive etc.

Thank you for any help!!!!
Old 28th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Can anyone help answer a few of those questions. thank you!
Old 29th October 2012 | Show parent
In order to store sounds you will need a bunch of floppy discs or a mass storage device like a scsi hard disc drive. Any mass storage device will be limited to 512mb of usable when it is formatted. you will want to make a few smaller partitions that you can use to seperate your files.

The O.S. can be via a floppy drive if you have no mass storage, if so just copy it to the mass storage and it will boot the latest O.S. You also can buy a EPROM with the latest os burnt and then you will always boot the latest.

Ram is a special type, better to buy one that was maxed out now and not worry about it.

Stay away from zip discs if you can, just not worth the hassle. There is a few options to get compact flash cards on the scsi bus or use the floppy emulation to SD card.
Gear Maniac

I gave away an s2000 a couple of years back.Took me a long time to save the monry for it..and then one day it was obselete. :(
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar2010 View Post
Can anyone help answer a few of those questions. thank you!
Akai S1000 S1100 questionsAkai S1000 v4.4 Operating System Chips - EPROM / ROM OS | eBay

📝 Reply