The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ebay sellers on crack + Scammers list
Old 3rd July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
Poor guy!
Seriously.
I have a few things on the eblock right now, after reading that I'm thinking about taking them down. What a nightmare.
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Seriously.
I have a few things on the eblock right now, after reading that I'm thinking about taking them down. What a nightmare.
Likewise. I had a few things I was going to list; thinking twice now.
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

Damn.... I put up my ursa major space station a few days ago. Not really the experience I like reading about...

I also was hoping to not end up in this thread as a crazy seller, as I put the price a bit higher to cover the eBay fees to get what I really wanted for the unit.
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

Damn.... I put up my ursa major space station a few days ago. Not really the experience I like reading about...

I also was hoping to not end up in this thread as a crazy seller, as I put the price a bit higher to cover the eBay fees to get what I really wanted for the unit.
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

It made me sad. I really try to honestly represent what I'm selling, but since eBay personnel are not technical at all, you get these decisions that you can't argue with.

NB - eBay pulled the listing temporarily because I mentioned direct sales. Once I fix it, I'll re-list. Apparently this is not my first infraction in this area...

re-listed with some slightly changed text to pass the automated ebay software sensors.

In all seriousness, I'd contact eBay and complain, except that you can't easily contact eBay and complain. They took away the email option and if you call, you get routed through the automatons. If I can get up to a manager that can actually make a rational decision, I'll post how to do that.

As a seller, you're basically screwed. When you submit a listing, there is some small text at the bottom saying the buyer can still be eligible for a refund under certain conditions.

As a buyer - go ahead and pick up that JP-8 or CS-80 and play with it for a couple weeks, then return it. Maybe if enough gear brokers/high dollar sellers get burned, the system will change... or maybe not. I'm done ranting here about it (but probably not on eBay).

Last edited by oldgearguy; 4th July 2015 at 03:56 AM..
Old 9th July 2015
Gear Guru

bahahahah...wtf..??

Akai MPC2000XL | eBay

$2100 for an MPC 2000xl...please..
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Funny thing about the Akai MPC2000XL is he claims he bought it for $2700US!! Sure hope he bought it when the AUD was above parity and not in the last few months.

This orange one looks zazzy though: Akai MPC 2000XL SE Sampling Workstation Desktop Sampler MPC 2000 XL Orange | eBay
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Yamaha NS 10M Studio Monitor Speakers in NSW | eBay

Yamaha NS10's for $2,200.

From the ad:

"Rare as hens teeth"

No they're not, Yamaha sold around 250,000 pairs of these.

"You won't find better for the price"

Yes you will, with every other pair for sale.
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
From the ad:

"Rare as hens teeth"

That's mega rare in ebay terms. I mean, have you ever seen something sold as common on ebay? Even MicroKorgs standard 1st edition are probably listed as rare once in a while.
Old 21st July 2015
Old 21st July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Yamaha NS 10M Studio Monitor Speakers in NSW | eBay

Yamaha NS10's for $2,200.

From the ad:

"Rare as hens teeth"

"You won't find better for the price"

Yes you will, with every other pair for sale.
Well..by now those "Rare" NS10's need remagnetizing..new capacitors on the crossovers, and probably new surrounds. They were kind of mediocre in the first place, but became a defacto "standard". Every recording studio on the planet had a pair of NS10's (this was long before bedroom studios)....but now all of a sudden they are rare as Hen's teeth. He should have said "The Holy Grail of studio monitors" or some BS like that.

Last edited by Teknobeam; 21st July 2015 at 12:37 PM..
Old 25th July 2015
Old 25th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentjohn36 View Post
How do you figure that? A pair of these new are £7,000, a matched stereo pair are well over £8,000.
Old 25th July 2015
Gear Addict

There's a scammer out there who's based in Scotland and tried to sell me a Jomox Sunsyn. His ad was cut and pasted it. I think a few scammers do this because they don't know anything about synthesizers, a little google search and they're busted.
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyham View Post
There's a scammer out there who's based in Scotland and tried to sell me a Jomox Sunsyn. His ad was cut and pasted it. I think a few scammers do this because they don't know anything about synthesizers, a little google search and they're busted.
VSE is the well-spring of Craigslist ad text. Maybe that's why my stuff never sells--I actually put usable information on my ads.
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

I never paste any details about a synth or piece of gear in my ads. I put the make/model and condition and terms. No more. If the buyer can't google then it's probably better if we don't do business.
Old 26th July 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
VSE is the well-spring of Craigslist ad text. Maybe that's why my stuff never sells--I actually put usable information on my ads.
silly you!
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
It made me sad. I really try to honestly represent what I'm selling, but since eBay personnel are not technical at all, you get these decisions that you can't argue with.

NB - eBay pulled the listing temporarily because I mentioned direct sales. Once I fix it, I'll re-list. Apparently this is not my first infraction in this area...

re-listed with some slightly changed text to pass the automated ebay software sensors.

In all seriousness, I'd contact eBay and complain, except that you can't easily contact eBay and complain. They took away the email option and if you call, you get routed through the automatons. If I can get up to a manager that can actually make a rational decision, I'll post how to do that.

As a seller, you're basically screwed. When you submit a listing, there is some small text at the bottom saying the buyer can still be eligible for a refund under certain conditions.

As a buyer - go ahead and pick up that JP-8 or CS-80 and play with it for a couple weeks, then return it. Maybe if enough gear brokers/high dollar sellers get burned, the system will change... or maybe not. I'm done ranting here about it (but probably not on eBay).

I discussed this kind of problem at length with Paypal, I was told that it is important to contact the buyer as soon as they receive the goods and ask if they were happy with the item and everything was OK.. If they confirm everything is OK in the ebay message system it then goes against them if suddenly a month later they change their minds... whilst of course this is far from being a water tight solution, it's definitely worth doing.

The seller terms and conditions on PayPal are beyond a joke..the contract is laughable, it's completely open to abuse..its worse than Elvis' contract with the Colonel. I actually don't know how they get away with it!
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
The seller terms and conditions on PayPal are beyond a joke..the contract is laughable, it's completely open to abuse..its worse than Elvis' contract with the Colonel. I actually don't know how they get away with it!
That part's no mystery. They have no serious competition. Years ago I thought maybe Yahoo would be able to unseat Ebay with their auction service but I should have known better. It's going to take someone with alot of capital to break the back of Ebay's virtual monopoly.
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhm1138 View Post
That part's no mystery. They have no serious competition. Years ago I thought maybe Yahoo would be able to unseat Ebay with their auction service but I should have known better. It's going to take someone with alot of capital to break the back of Ebay's virtual monopoly.
Yahoo still has no clue what it wants to be when it grows up...

Amazon just needs to add a Make an Offer button available to third party sellers of user goods and that would pretty much kill of any advantage eBay has. PayPal probably would go under, as well...
Old 30th July 2015
This guy is reselling stuff from Japan auctions that he buys and has them send to to recipient and then tries to pass off as actually having owned (check reverse image lookup) but he's most likely located in India (although it seems he did attend a UK college at one point or at least posted on their forum and does have a UK bank account).

Claims to be 'travelling' and then has a 'cousin in Japan' to explain why it's coming from out of country and with a delay.

Ebay sellers on crack + Scammers listeBay
Gumtree

Last edited by Jesse Skeens; 30th July 2015 at 06:47 PM..
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Guru

here is my monthly contribution to this thread...$1200 USD for this synth...BAHAHA..!!

Ebay sellers on crack + Scammers listRoland Juno 60 Synthesizer 9786138719588 | eBay
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Someone trying to push up JX10 prices here in the UK, somewhat ludicrously by well,over twice the price...£1495 / $2350 with a link to the Vercoven mod, it's not actually in there!

Ebay sellers on crack + Scammers list♚RARE♚ ROLAND Super JX-10 ♚12-Voice Analog MONSTER Synth ♚240v♚SERVICED♚AMAZING! | eBay

Or even without a flight case for a mere £1295 / $2000, sir?

Ebay sellers on crack + Scammers listhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Vinta...item2804fb10cd

Well, it is rare. It is! It's says it in the advert and adverts on eBay NEVER lie.....

Last edited by Gunark; 9th August 2015 at 08:52 AM..
Old 11th August 2015
Lives for gear

Roland System 1 for

US $3,389.00 or
$565 for 6 months

Umm does this come with a free toaster too?
Ebay sellers on crack + Scammers listRoland System 1 Plug Out Synthesizer | eBay
Old 11th August 2015
Lives for gear

Won an auction for a P12 keyboard at $1800. The seller immediately deletes their ebay account and refunds my money the next day, saying she is a first time seller and having trouble with her paypal account, and that her husband can invoice me if I still want the item. I say "yes" and pay the husband's invoice, only because it was such a good price...I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. I hear nothing back so I ask the seller the next day if she's selling and if I can get a tracking number. I get a very short "yes it's shipping today", so I ask again for the tracking number...nothing.

I wait a few days and ask again for a tracking number, figuring it's all shady enough that I need proof it's actually on the way. No reply so I try emailing the husband's address...nothing. Finally I tell them both if I don't hear back immediately with some proof of shipment I'll have to file a claim with Paypal. Nothing. So I file the claim, in which Paypal gives the seller a week to respond with some defense of their position. The week will be up tomorrow and they've made no attempt to defend themselves.

I imagine my money will inevitably be refunded through Paypal, but the whole thing is just odd. Why would you refund someone's money and give them a chance to pull out if you were trying to scam them? It seems like there are more efficient ways out there to scam people if that's what you're trying to do. I almost wonder if the seller literally died in a car crash en route to shipping the P12, but that's probably giving humanity too much credit.
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnalvl View Post
the whole thing is just odd. Why would you refund someone's money and give them a chance to pull out if you were trying to scam them? It seems like there are more efficient ways out there to scam people if that's what you're trying to do. I almost wonder if the seller literally died in a car crash en route to shipping the P12, but that's probably giving humanity too much credit.
Don't try to understand thieves. They can be dumb and they can be cunning, the moment when youre unprotected they may not be as dumb as you thought. Trust your instincts.
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Won an auction for a P12 keyboard at $1800. The seller immediately deletes their ebay account and refunds my money the next day, saying she is a first time seller and having trouble with her paypal account, and that her husband can invoice me if I still want the item.
How did he invoice you? If you did this transaction out of the eBay system, you are probably going to have a difficult time getting your money back since you aren't covered by the eBay buyer protection plan.

I've read about this scam before. The thief does the refund to entice you to complete the transaction outside of eBay so the usual protections don't apply.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

Ebay has significantly changed (not for the better) since just recently, PayPal and Ebay are two entirely different companies, and have noticed as of very recently, these people with ZERO feedback as a seller/buyer, listing something so ridiculously LOW with a "Stock Photo", but with very few details and the language missing enough to be a scam then take a look at the other items seller has listed and each of the few items look like they were opportunistic theft items, with the seller not answering any replies for more info.
There's a Prophet 08 Keyboard currently listed by such a person, listing it "as good as new in case"...ok, what case? Is it the PE Version? Sending it USPS, really? This person has it for a Buy It Now for $999., a Prophet 08 Keyboard. His other items look like a pair of ripped off headphones and a car GPS unit that looks freshly nabbed from somewhere.

Wouldn't it just be awful to purchase something like this thinking it was a great deal in which someone really needed the money, only to later find out the item(s) have been reported as stolen?

Has this actually happened to anyone here?
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post
How did he invoice you? If you did this transaction out of the eBay system, you are probably going to have a difficult time getting your money back since you aren't covered by the eBay buyer protection plan.
He invoiced through Paypal, so it seems I am still covered through Paypal's protection plan...it just takes a while. I definitely agree it would have been better to keep the transaction within Ebay as two entities looking out for you is better than one.

I am kinda curious how viable it is for scammers to run off with Paypal money though...you would think they'd be able to track him down through his bank account, but maybe not.
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
He invoiced through Paypal, so it seems I am still covered through Paypal's protection plan...it just takes a while. I definitely agree it would have been better to keep the transaction within Ebay as two entities looking out for you is better than one.

I am kinda curious how viable it is for scammers to run off with Paypal money though...you would think they'd be able to track him down through his bank account, but maybe not.
People send fake "invoices" that don't exist in Paypal. That's exactly how these off-ebay scams work, I've had people send me them before.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search