The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Add artificial sub low end plugin suggestion?
Old 31st January 2010 | Show parent
  #31
Gear Maniac
 
leigh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonator View Post
Are you sure that is how the BBE Harmonic Maximizer works... it's just an EQ?
I'm not claiming that the Harmonic Maximizer is technically "just an EQ", but for low frequencies, it behaves like an EQ would. It can boost the lowest existing frequency, and likely integrates some compression/saturation as well. However, it cannot create new sub (meaning: lower-than-existing) frequencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonator View Post
I had the impression that it acts on a given frequency, and creates new frequencies based on that. (But if there is nothing in the range you specify, it has nothing to work on.)
Well, an exciter circuit creates new frequencies, but they are higher frequencies. The Harmonic Maximizer does this: as you turn the "Lo Mix" knob up from zero, at some point you see all those new higher peaks pop up on the frequency graph. But I am not seeing any new lower frequencies.

cheers,
Leigh
reFuse Software
Old 16th February 2010 | Show parent
  #32
Gear Addict
 

Just bought reFuse Lowender today. It sounds really good! I just wish it has better indication of each parameter (lists dB or %..etc).
Old 16th February 2010 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
mullet's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
I would like to clarify this comparison:

Lowender is a different effect altogether than Waves Rbass / MaxxBass. MaxxBass generates additional harmonics in the lower-midrange, to give the impression of louder bass (e.g. on small TV speakers not capable of low frequency reproduction). Lowender generates new subharmonics an octave down from the original signal, to actually generate deeper bass frequencies.

In this sense, Lowender and Rbass are opposites. Lowender is creating new frequencies lower than the existing ones, whereas Rbass creates new frequencies higher than the existing ones.

Note that I'm lumping RBass and MaxxBass together because, according to the Waves website, Rbass is just a simplied version of MaxBass: "Renaissance Bass delivers Waves patented MaxxBass® psycho-acoustic technology using simplified controls for quick, intuitive operation." (see: Waves | Plug-ins | Renaissance Bass )

Since that explanation doesn't tell you much, here is the MaxBass page: Waves | Plug-ins | MaxxBass

And the screenshot on that page actually provides a clear picture of which frequencies it is affecting. You see the original bass frequency range in blue, and the added lower-mids in yellow:



The Lowender, in contrast, takes bass frequencies from about 50 - 110 Hz (when set in "Classic" mode), and creates new subharmonics of that range, about 25 - 55 Hz. I should draw up a graph that illustrates this for the reFuse Software site...

cheers,
Leigh
Do you use MaxxBass on your sub? Also, for bass, what frequency do you set it at?
Old 18th February 2010 | Show parent
  #34
Gear Maniac
 
leigh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chao View Post
Just bought reFuse Lowender today. It sounds really good! I just wish it has better indication of each parameter (lists dB or %..etc).
hi Chao,

While it's true that the parameter values don't pop up on Lowender's faceplate, they are "published" to the DAW. So, in Pro Tools, when applying automation, you can work with the exact values. Or, say, in Ableton Live, those values appear along Live's generic-looking triangle sliders interface.

That may not be the easiest way for your workflow, I understand. But those values are at least made accessible if you need them.

cheers,
Leigh
reFuse Software
Old 18th February 2010 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Maniac
 
leigh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
Do you use MaxxBass on your sub? Also, for bass, what frequency do you set it at?
hi Mullet,

Are you asking me specifically? I do not use MaxxBass at all, so no...

The sub channel in a 5.1 arrangement is supposed to roll off by 80 or 120 Hz as per the Dolby spec for surround. Since MaxxBass mostly adds in frequencies higher than that, I don't think it would make sense to feed the output of MaxxBass into a sub channel... anyone here who mixes in surround want to verify or correct that idea?

cheers,
Leigh
Old 18th February 2010 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
mullet's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
hi Mullet,

Are you asking me specifically? I do not use MaxxBass at all, so no...

The sub channel in a 5.1 arrangement is supposed to roll off by 80 or 120 Hz as per the Dolby spec for surround. Since MaxxBass mostly adds in frequencies higher than that, I don't think it would make sense to feed the output of MaxxBass into a sub channel... anyone here who mixes in surround want to verify or correct that idea?

cheers,
Leigh
I high pass at about 60hz, so you're right, I guess theres no point in using maxxbass..
Old 24th February 2010 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
hi Chao,

While it's true that the parameter values don't pop up on Lowender's faceplate, they are "published" to the DAW. So, in Pro Tools, when applying automation, you can work with the exact values. Or, say, in Ableton Live, those values appear along Live's generic-looking triangle sliders interface.

That may not be the easiest way for your workflow, I understand. But those values are at least made accessible if you need them.

cheers,
Leigh
reFuse Software

Yes, that's how I work now (DP 6), but it's always better if the developers design an easier interface which provides a fast workflow. Hopefully we will see an update soon.

BTW, I like it very much. Please keep developing some interesting plug-ins (No me-too, boring analog simulators! Digital can go even further!).

Thanks!
Old 10th March 2010 | Show parent
  #38
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Is this plugin RTAS or in a RTAS wrapper - Lowender?
I just bought the LoAir which does the same thing but, don't really love it. Dope idea though.

Marc
Old 10th March 2010 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Maniac
 
leigh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Is this plugin RTAS or in a RTAS wrapper - Lowender?
I just bought the LoAir which does the same thing but, don't really love it. Dope idea though.

Marc
Lowender currently does RTAS with a wrapper (Pluggo, NOT Fxpansion, and Mac only).

However, the native versions of Lowender RTAS, for Mac and Win, are coming very soon!

cheers,
Leigh

reFuse Software
Old 11th March 2010 | Show parent
  #40
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
Lowender currently does RTAS with a wrapper (Pluggo, NOT Fxpansion, and Mac only).

However, the native versions of Lowender RTAS, for Mac and Win, are coming very soon!

cheers,
Leigh

reFuse Software
Sounds good. I'll wait on the RTAS version. Don't really want to mess with the wrapper stuff.

Thanx
Old 11th March 2010 | Show parent
  #41
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
Lowender currently does RTAS with a wrapper (Pluggo, NOT Fxpansion, and Mac only).

However, the native versions of Lowender RTAS, for Mac and Win, are coming very soon!

cheers,
Leigh

reFuse Software
By the way, how soon is soon? Are we talking in a few weeks soon or a few months soon. Also, if I buy this now, would I get the RTAS version for free? If so, I may purchase it....

Let me know....

Thanx

Marc
Old 11th March 2010 | Show parent
  #42
i usually just double my bass tracks with a sine wave whenever i want subs

lowender looks interesting though, i'll have to try it
Old 11th March 2010 | Show parent
  #43
Gear Maniac
 
leigh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
By the way, how soon is soon? Are we talking in a few weeks soon or a few months soon. Also, if I buy this now, would I get the RTAS version for free? If so, I may purchase it....
We are talking more like a few weeks.

And yes, current license holders will get the RTAS version without any upgrade fee. In fact, we will be increasing a price a bit with the release of RTAS, so it is to your advantage to buy now at the current price!

cheers,
Leigh

reFuse Software
Old 12th March 2010 | Show parent
  #44
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
We are talking more like a few weeks.

And yes, current license holders will get the RTAS version without any upgrade fee. In fact, we will be increasing a price a bit with the release of RTAS, so it is to your advantage to buy now at the current price!

cheers,
Leigh

reFuse Software
Thanx Leigh, I have purchased it and will patiently wait for the RTAS upgrade before getting this rocking in sessions.... Thanx
Old 15th March 2010 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
beingmf's Avatar
 

Late to the party, but just wanted to add several Nebula stock programs to the list! "Soft Subbass FX" and, above all "Tape & Bass", mixed in at about 50-70% is da shizzle! Much much much much better results than with the plugins I've tried before.
Old 15th March 2010 | Show parent
  #46
Gear Nut
 
Perj's Avatar
 

This thing actually is really strong and clean



I think it was made for Drums but works for Bass well also.
Old 16th March 2010 | Show parent
  #47
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perj View Post
This thing actually is really strong and clean



I think it was made for Drums but works for Bass well also.
I tried this one but, it didn't really do nothing to me. Was more like R-Bass from Waves.

Just my thoughts....

Marc
Old 16th March 2010 | Show parent
  #48
seriously, i find using a pitch shift vst the easiest way to do this.
  • send the signal in question to a new group
  • eq /low pass everything off from ~80hz up
  • pitch the result down 12notes.
job done.
Old 16th March 2010 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
seriously, i find using a pitch shift vst the easiest way to do this.
  • send the signal in question to a new group
  • eq /low pass everything off from ~80hz up
  • pitch the result down 12notes.
job done.

Indeed.. I use Microtonic from Sonic Charge, layered underneath the kick then tune to taste.
Old 10th November 2010 | Show parent
  #50
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Late to the party, but just wanted to add several Nebula stock programs to the list! "Soft Subbass FX" and, above all "Tape & Bass", mixed in at about 50-70% is da shizzle! Much much much much better results than with the plugins I've tried before.
Intresting! I use Nebula extensively, if you dont mind me asking,where do i find theses programs? and when you say,mixed in at about 50-70%, What do you mean by this? Thanx in advance.
Old 10th November 2010 | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
signal generator sine -6dbu 87hz
Old 6th November 2011 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
Hey guys...just bought LOWENDER......saved the day on a jazz quintet recording that had a bit weak bass.....it is a fantastic tool and for little money......thanks for the heads-up!!!
Old 6th November 2011 | Show parent
  #53
Gear Maniac
 
leigh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude G. View Post
Hey guys...just bought LOWENDER......saved the day on a jazz quintet recording that had a bit weak bass.....it is a fantastic tool and for little money......thanks for the heads-up!!!
Hey Claude,

Thank you for your support! I would love to hear a before and after comparison (i.e. without/with Lowender) in a jazz context. Drop me an email if you have a second!

[email protected]

cheers,
Leigh

reFuse Software
Old 27th November 2011
  #54
Lives for gear
 
B-San's Avatar
 

^ Is the Lowender 64bit compatible yet? I went to your site & was unable to find mention of this.. Thanks in advance!
Old 27th November 2011
  #55
Lives for gear
 

waves lo air, sonalksis DQ1 both do this really well
Old 28th November 2011 | Show parent
  #56
Gear Maniac
 
leigh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-San View Post
^ Is the Lowender 64bit compatible yet? I went to your site & was unable to find mention of this.. Thanks in advance!
Hi B-San,

While the current Lowender release is a 32-bit version, 64-bit operating systems can still run 32-bit software. There are no incompatibilities with Lowender and 64-bit systems that I am aware of.

That said, we are working on 64-bit versions of Lowender, which will be part of an upcoming update.

cheers,
Leigh
reFuse Software
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 19486
Avatar for The Tonic Room
The Tonic Room 18th July 2017
replies: 8 views: 3144
Avatar for Silver Sonya
Silver Sonya 23rd November 2010
replies: 25 views: 11317
Avatar for MogwaiBoy
MogwaiBoy 17th May 2020
replies: 26 views: 6142
Avatar for DrAudioBot
DrAudioBot 19th May 2018
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump