The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MKS80 rev 4 and 5
Old 21st July 2017 | Show parent
  #151
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Because an MKS-80 Rev5 with programmer came up for $2200CDN,
that explains why. I'll pass.
That is a pretty good deal
Old 21st July 2017 | Show parent
  #152
BM0
Lives for gear
 
BM0's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Because an MKS-80 Rev5 with programmer came up for $2200CDN,
that explains why. I'll pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
That is a pretty good deal
That does seem like a deal, but I can't speak for the Rev5 regarding sound. I imagine it is still worth it. I think the demos I've heard sounded good. I have a Rev4 and paid $1800 for it a few years ago w/o programmer. Those programmers now go for +$1000.
Old 21st July 2017 | Show parent
  #153
Deleted User
Guest
Turns out to be an M-80 programmer by Stereoping.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
That does seem like a deal, but I can't speak for the Rev5 regarding sound. I imagine it is still worth it. I think the demos I've heard sounded good. I have a Rev4 and paid $1800 for it a few years ago w/o programmer. Those programmers now go for +$1000.
Old 21st July 2017 | Show parent
  #154
BM0
Lives for gear
 
BM0's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Turns out to be an M-80 programmer by Stereoping.
That would certainly explain it. I would say that is a fair price, but if you really want the rev4, I would say pass on this deal. Rev5 seem to go only for slightly less than a rev4.
Old 21st July 2017 | Show parent
  #155
Deleted User
Guest
Here in Canada, a Rev4 will set you back $3500CDN.

I have to remember I am saving for a Quantum, so hands off the GAS(pedal).


Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
That would certainly explain it. I would say that is a fair price, but if you really want the rev4, I would say pass on this deal. Rev5 seem to go only for slightly less than a rev4.
Old 21st July 2017 | Show parent
  #156
Lives for gear
 
AnalogGuy's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I discovered something very intriguing in my MKS-80: The midi thru is actually "true bypass" that the midi is still going thru even thought the synth is turned off. I had to sell my unit some time ago but could you confirm it?

Damn handy feature if you are chaining a lot of midi synths together but so far this is the only synth I know of having this feature.
Old 22nd July 2017 | Show parent
  #157
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Because an MKS-80 Rev5 with programmer came up for $2200CDN,
that explains why. I'll pass.
The rev 4 doesn't either, even though the chip can, and neither does my Jp8, but it's still pretty nice


My Rev 5 died, never bothered to get it fixed, been like that for a few years, maybe I should sell my programmer....
Old 22nd July 2017 | Show parent
  #158
Deleted User
Guest
No self-resonance, even in the Jupiter 8? If its like the JX-3P and has IR3109
like this


I notice there is a Res trimpot, so maybe like the JX-3P this is dialed in "shy".
I took my 3P and increased the res on the trimpotsby 1/8 turn on on all VCFs.



Curious to what effect this would have on a Jup 8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
The rev 4 doesn't either, even though the chip can, and neither does my Jp8, but it's still pretty nice


My Rev 5 died, never bothered to get it fixed, been like that for a few years, maybe I should sell my programmer....
Old 22nd July 2017
  #159
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Well here is the JP8 at max res after when I got it recapped, it's almost self-oscillating, but not quite
Attached Files

CCJ_Jp8_MaxRes.mp3 (924.7 KB, 1327 views)

Old 22nd July 2017 | Show parent
  #160
Deleted User
Guest
Maximum Resonance on the trimpots, or just on the front panel control?

On a JX-3P, I still have lots more trimpot to play with. but if I went max
it would probably be a sea of mush! Will have to try it some day.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
Well here is the JP8 at max res after when I got it recapped, it's almost self-oscillating, but not quite
Old 22nd July 2017 | Show parent
  #161
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Maximum Resonance on the trimpots, or just on the front panel control?

On a JX-3P, I still have lots more trimpot to play with. but if I went max
it would probably be a sea of mush! Will have to try it some day.
Front panel. Not opening my JP8 to fiddle in there
Old 22nd July 2017 | Show parent
  #162
Deleted User
Guest
So, it is possible that a JP-8 CAN be put into self-oscillation.
The JX-3P ships from the factory, with a very modest trimpot setting.

I can understand with a classic like you have, not wanting to fiddle, but I
am curious if anyone else with a JP-8 has "goosed" the resonance trimpots?


Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
Front panel. Not opening my JP8 to fiddle in there
Old 23rd July 2017
  #163
Gear Nut
 
sunny pedaal's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I think the jp8 self oscillates quite fine and sufficient
Also too much stuff inside to tweak the inside and losing all my presets... no thanks
Old 23rd July 2017 | Show parent
  #164
Deleted User
Guest
Yes, it would effect the res settings of all patches.
On my JX-3P there was one preset that was affected by the resonance tweak.
so if you do do the tweak, it is at your own risk.
On a Jupiter 8, probably not wise, but on a JX-3P I took the hit but
I didn't mind!


Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny pedaal View Post
I think the jp8 self oscillates quite fine and sufficient
Also too much stuff inside to tweak the inside and losing all my presets... no thanks
Old 10th October 2018 | Show parent
  #165
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Here's info from my archive:
Juno 6, Juno 60
DCO: Standard Ic.
VCF: IR3109
VCA: BA662
ENV: IR3R01

JX-3P
DCO: Standard Ic.
VCF: IR3109
VCA: BA662
ENV: Software
Wouldn’t this mean that the J-6/60 and 3P would sound exactly the same, or does the env or something affect the sound in any other way?
Old 10th October 2018 | Show parent
  #166
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim_s View Post
Wouldn’t this mean that the J-6/60 and 3P would sound exactly the same, or does the env or something affect the sound in any other way?
no the filter circuits are different ... different input stage before the filter .. other resonance circuit
Do not forget that jx3p is a successor to junos .. evolving or something like that
Old 10th October 2018 | Show parent
  #167
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
no the filter circuits are different ... different input stage before the filter .. other resonance circuit
Do not forget that jx3p is a successor to junos .. evolving or something like that
Don’t understand this. Aren’t the filters the same, as written by Don Solaris?
Old 10th October 2018 | Show parent
  #168
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim_s View Post
Don’t understand this. Aren’t the filters the same, as written by Don Solaris?
the Filter Ic,s are the same. the environment but not .. quite simply another circuit with the same Ic.
Old 10th January 2020
  #169
Gear Maniac
 
Corrosive.Abuser's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Just adding my 2 pence, - I still have my REV-4 and Jupiter-6, and regularly used a friends Jupiter-8 for around 10yrs during the 90s. To my ears, my REV-4 sounds much more like the 8 than it does the 6, - and my friend preferred my Super-Jupiter/MPG-80 to his 8, and so did I. Still, looking at current prices, I should have swapped when I had the chance. Saying that though, the extra modulation options, - INV and dynamics, - really do add an extra dimension to the Super-Jupiter, that just isn't available with the 8, and personally I find the thinner, crazier sound of the 6 really sits well along side the thick, heavier sound of the REV4, - just a shame the programmer doesn't have an arpeggiator on it... Also, they gel really well with my DEP-5 and DEP-3 processors, like the units where made for the synths, - sublime, a little noisy sometimes, but sublime..

~ love to ALL, feel no hate ~
Old 10th January 2020 | Show parent
  #170
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive.Abuser View Post
Just adding my 2 pence, - I still have my REV-4 and Jupiter-6, and regularly used a friends Jupiter-8 for around 10yrs during the 90s. To my ears, my REV-4 sounds much more like the 8 than it does the 6, - and my friend preferred my Super-Jupiter/MPG-80 to his 8, and so did I. Still, looking at current prices, I should have swapped when I had the chance. Saying that though, the extra modulation options, - INV and dynamics, - really do add an extra dimension to the Super-Jupiter, that just isn't available with the 8, and personally I find the thinner, crazier sound of the 6 really sits well along side the thick, heavier sound of the REV4, - just a shame the programmer doesn't have an arpeggiator on it... Also, they gel really well with my DEP-5 and DEP-3 processors, like the units where made for the synths, - sublime, a little noisy sometimes, but sublime..

~ love to ALL, feel no hate ~
I have the MKS-80/MPG-80 REV-4 and a Jupiter 6 too, to me they sound very different.
Old 11th January 2020
  #171
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
My opinion as an owner of both revs of MKS80 and both revs of JP8 across some decades....

There's ZERO difference between the two MKS80 revisions.

There's ZERO difference between the two JP8 revisions.

There's all the difference in the world between any MKS80 and any JP8.

The MKS80 is a "keyboardist's" synthesizer whereas the JP8 is a "synthesist's" synthesizer.

One is not better than the other.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1387 views: 188078
Avatar for Squeegee 303
Squeegee 303 1 week ago
replies: 114 views: 16711
Avatar for Gnalvl
Gnalvl 1 day ago
replies: 570 views: 67728
Avatar for Stellaris
Stellaris 5 days ago
replies: 131 views: 25360
Avatar for lost_the_peace
lost_the_peace 14th January 2019
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump