The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf - Largo vs Blofeld vs Microwave 1 vs Microwave XT
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
as if Access controller is the only possible hardware editing solution?? WTF?? tutt

anything, i repeat, ANYTHING with SYSEX support works with microwave. Any Novation REMOTE model, the original ones, the Remote SL, the SL mkI etc etc, the ultra-cheap Behringer BCR etc.. and many others. resorting to computer editor when it is so damn cheap to edit it via hardware is just plain lazy.
I knew that there were other options out there, but I did not want to invest more money in it & yeah I was lazy. I really thought it would have the controls like the Pulse or Microwave mkII which I had owned and used before. I have limited time & hate set-up.
It's my gear, I can be lazy. heh
Old 21st December 2009
but of course. in any case, if you liked the sound when u had one, im tellin' ya, u owe it to yourself to try playin MW when u have real-time control under your fingertips... wheeeew hiiiiii its a whole different ballgame..

love swithing the wavetables and filter/reso whilst performing... the grittines, the mayhem. or, classic stuff, like filter env instensity whilst it's doing a bass sequence a la XoX with its fast envelopes... deadly

@PeteJames: Remote SLmkII has the same SYSEX support as SL mkI had. as for setting up, its explained in the Novation manual. you setup a sysex string, and its min and max values per slider. ive read about it in SLmkI manual, but i haven't done it myself, as an Access programmer fell into my lap in the meantime, but its fairly known procedure on the Waldorf Users mailing list. many microwave users there. btw, if you have Waldorf synth, its not a bad place to be, for many reasons. great community.

what is also great about novations and other sysex-capable controllers, they double as programmers for any sysex-only old analogs too- like MKS80/MKS70/Matrix6/1000/MKS50 etc, if you happen to have one. so, for sdome of them, one can skip dropping cash for their respective (often costly) programmers like PG800, MPG80 etc..
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
what is also great about novations and other sysex-capable controllers, they double as programmers for any sysex-only old analogs too- like MKS80/MKS70/Matrix6/1000/MKS50 etc, if you happen to have one. so, for sdome of them, one can skip dropping cash for their respective (often costly) programmers like PG800, MPG80 etc..
A big +1 to that - they also rock for editing effects processors that have some sysex-only params - like tempo on a Lexicon PCM-8x!

Peavey PC1600x for me - oldschool now, but built like a brick and with CV ins - golden.

cheers,
Ian
Old 22nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Now that you mention it, I think this was discussed in another thread here.

How did you go replacing the transformer?

When those caps short, is there a fuse to blow? The whole thing sounds a bit catastrophic.
Found a suitable encapsulated PCB mount transformer at Farnell and re-drilled the back panel for the new pin configuration. Not a big deal. When the ceramics fail the regulator (5V) has enough current at it's output to cook the cap without drawing enough current to pop the fuse.
Old 22nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
... Btw, what do you guys think about the looks of the XTk, imo it is one of the best looking synths ever built.
She is very sexy, I wish I could sleep with her
Old 22nd December 2009
ummm.. i think XTk is a cross dresser.

inside is a manly, gritty, metallic sound, capable of agressive soundscapes.

yet, on the outside, its looks are feminine, perfect shapes, just beautiful.. heh
Old 19th May 2010
Here for the gear

XT knobs & MIDI

I don't think anyone has mentioned this:

EVERY one of those knobs writes MIDI data into you DAW!

So you can WRITE all those filter changes into the track - EVERYTHING!!!

Love the XT!!!

Last edited by rich kurtz; 19th May 2010 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 19th May 2010
Deleted 46dc28f
Microwave XT wins, IMO.
Old 19th May 2010
Lives for gear

On the digital side of my studio I have a JD-800, Pophet VS, Microwave XT, Wavestation, and a DX7-IIFD. If I could only keep one, it would be the XT.
Old 19th May 2010
Lives for gear

+1 vote for the XT

I've got an XT, but am actively hunting an XTk to buy or swaps.
Old 19th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
I was wondering if the blofled sounds exactly the same as largo - are the only differences user wave tables (blofeld) and sub osc (largo)?
imho, no. I used to have a Blofeld, now I have Largo. I think that the Blofeld sounded quite a bit brighter than Largo. Largo is awesome to program, but to me it sounds kind of muffled. I still think it´s a good softsynth, it just needs a bit of top end boost.
Old 19th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich kurtz View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned this:

EVERY one of those knobs writes MIDI data into you DAW!

So you can WRITE all those filter changes into the track - EVERYTHING!!!

Love the XT!!!
Can't the blofeld do this? I would have thought they all could actually?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syltagogotronix View Post
imho, no. I used to have a Blofeld, now I have Largo. I think that the Blofeld sounded quite a bit brighter than Largo. Largo is awesome to program, but to me it sounds kind of muffled. I still think it´s a good softsynth, it just needs a bit of top end boost.
From what I remember largo sounded to bright in the top end for me heh
Old 19th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
Can't the blofeld do this? I would have thought they all could actually?

It can but only through USB. As it has no midi out port.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
i have XT and MW1, and played Blofeld several times in the store. if you put a MW into a quality delay/reverb/fx it will sound equally "spatial" and stereo wide. probably even better, bcs onboard FX on Blofeld aint that great. i'd use em live, as its handy, but in the studio i'd sure defeat the FX and replace with Lexicon or something.
second, for starters, Blofeld sounds the smoothest of the three, and is arguably closest to the VSTi or "ITB sound". its the only one that does nice smooth creamy wide pads. this is not in the MW/XT job description. XT is digital, but as already mentioned, there's nothing in VSTi world that sounds like it. it can get harsh and whacky but i like that a lot - it has its own signature, depth in programming, and great digi filters. MW is the grittiest but with comparably warm analog filters. agreed they are not on the same level as analog filters on old polyanalogs, but the magic that was synonimous with old PPGs, when you run a gritty 8-bit wavetable into an analog VCF/VCA... stilll happens. so its the next best thing than actually having an old PPG.
this is weird, never heard of problems with Microwaves before. i had two, and several frineds colleuges have em. never heard anyone had any issues. it was made in 1989 - 1992. its not a "vintage" board in a sense that old 70s analogs are, where ocassional maintenance is part of their existance.
mods? never heard of mods on microwave? do tell, do tell
SSM2044 filters (which is a SSM integrated version of a 24dB "ladder" design) is only found in PPG Wave2.2 and Wave2.3 . the first one Wave2 had CEM3320 filters. so microwave sort-of sounds more like that one. tho later ver CEM "voice processors" (vcf/vca) found in MW are no match for 3320 and 3360s in Wave2.
Waldorf NW1 has the old and modern wavetable sound and classical and imported wavetables
And the Russian SM042 KOTELNIKOVSSSR Labs eurorack module has the PPG sound
some classic filter are available as eurorack VCFs
its mono, but in a euro rack with several good ADSRs, LFOs, and a mixer with pan its perfect for mono bass and lead sound
I use NW1, a MW2 for polyphonic (MW1 doesn't sound better for all sounds) and of course Largo/Nave (and many more WT VSTs)
More flexible, from gritty to clean
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
its the only one that does nice smooth creamy wide pads. this is not in the MW/XT job description
Are you saying the XT is no good for pads, or just no good for smooth creamy wide pads?

I have a Blofeld but have been seriously considering getting an XT, even if a few sound differences between the, for its hands-on knobs that the Blofeld lacks.

Do you have an example of what you consider a Blofeld's smooth wide creamy pads that the XT can't do?
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindin View Post
the blofeld lacks low end from what i hear
No there's plenty available, like all waldorfian playthings she has secrets.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

From what you hear from other people, or from what you hear when listening to it?

It's got plenty of low end.
I've got a Q and two Blofelds, and have tried (but haven't bought) Largo.
I like them all.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Guru

I’d buy Largo. Er... did buy Largo. Love the sound and extended feature range of the Blofeld, but too many issues with it have kept me away. XT? Too harsh sounding to me. Microwave 1? Hm... maybe I need that.
Old 7th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckan View Post
Waldorf NW1 has the old and modern wavetable sound and classical and imported wavetables
And the Russian SM042 KOTELNIKOVSSSR Labs eurorack module has the PPG sound
some classic filter are available as eurorack VCFs
its mono, but in a euro rack with several good ADSRs, LFOs, and a mixer with pan its perfect for mono bass and lead sound
I use NW1, a MW2 for polyphonic (MW1 doesn't sound better for all sounds) and of course Largo/Nave (and many more WT VSTs)
More flexible, from gritty to clean
on paper yes, but in reality NW1 does not sound like old Waldorfs at all. the technology for transposition and resampling is different, so the beautiful artifacts and trademark colour does not happen. that said, it sounds wonderful imo, and much better than wavetables on Blofeld, or Q for that matter.

otoh, i did some careful listening and to me Kotelnikov sound dead on like my PPG Wave 2 (not 22/23), which is not suprising as it used identical NOS converter from 1981.

for me this module represents the old ancient, elusive sound of wavetabling the best. even if the actual wavetables on it are different from PPGs, the general character is identical. i keep postponing it, as its somewhat overkill, but really need to buy this. a wavetable in modular context is a completely different animal (im a happy user of e350 and e370).

agreed MW1 isn't better for all sounds. i do love the traditional, old lofi hybrid sound of mw, ppg, vs etc, but at the same time orange bastard is my all time favorite digital synth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungbeans View Post
Are you saying the XT is no good for pads, or just no good for smooth creamy wide pads?

I have a Blofeld but have been seriously considering getting an XT, even if a few sound differences between the, for its hands-on knobs that the Blofeld lacks.

Do you have an example of what you consider a Blofeld's smooth wide creamy pads that the XT can't do?
wheew were commenting on a decade old post ...

no, XT can absolutely do wonderland of pads. evolving, digital, complex, harsh, eeire, ambient.. just not the extra lush, creamy, soft type. wide can be achieved with the right post processing. like an eventide reverb for example .

as for Blofeld, i am probably wrong person to ask, bcs i really not a big fan of its sound. i may have overstated its ability to do wide and creamy, more like smooth only. in digital realm, i prefer such on my Q, and on TI i had on loan.

bottom line XT is a phenomenal synthesizer, but its not one stop replacement for all the functionality of Blofeld (different tone, different wavetables selectable per oscillator, filters more in style of Q, the SL functionality etc)
Old 8th May 2019
Quote:
Then you've never actually heard a Blofeld. There is no lack of ANY frequency content in that thing.

I have an XT, MicroQ, Blofeld and Largo (and the PPGWave plugin as well heh). Between the XT and the Blofeld I don't know, if I could only keep one Id keep the XT because its the XT (there's a reason Ive had it almost 20 years now). Feature differences aside, the two can hit similar territory for sure, but the XT has that old school crappy digital sound to it. The MicroQ (like the Q) is a pristine clean machine compared to the Microwaves, and the Blofeld is like that type of flavor but on crack with the psychotic wavetable engine of the Microwave thrown in (you only get two teaser wavetables on the MicroQ). Oh yeah, the overdrive/distortion effects actually work on the Blofeld haha.

As for the Largo vs. Blofeld debate. First thing I did when I got my Blofeld was program one of the Largo presets in it, its called 'Atmorph T'. Right off the bat the one thing the Blofeld doesn't have is the EQ section Largo does. Easy enough to mimic with your DAWs eq anyways. I don't remember exactly which one but, there was ONE parameter in Largo, aside from the EQ, that isn't in the Blofeld and its one of the controls for LFO3. I could tell the sound was a little different, but it was only because of the LFO movement. That actual sound was like 99.99999% there. Im gonna guess that any minute differences in the two were down to the Largo coming from Logic and going through the MOTU 828mk2s converters, where the Blofeld was going straight through the line inputs and being monitored with the MOTU hardware. I didnt try doing anymore but Ill give it a go if I remember tomorrow since Ill be home.
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Nut

+1 for XT. It can do a huge breadth of sounds and contrary to some earlier posts here is not always "harsh". I've got some seriously sweet analog-y pads out of mine. YMMV
Old 19th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
Get an XT, it is a great synth and the prices are not high.
Ten years later and XT prices are ridiculous.
Old 19th September 2019
Lives for gear

Have you considered Nave, as well? It's pretty inexpensive on an iPad, and you'd get a taste of the Quantum.

Otherwise, Nave or Largo on PC is perfectly adequate; Blofeld's interface is no great shakes and, unless you're working with it in isolation, the increased number of wavetables in the Largo overrides the sonic grit you'd get with a Microwave XT (which will, by the way, still require some menu diving if you want to truly go deep).

I used the Microwave II as my _only_ module for a couple of years, so it's a perfectly acceptable option if you're short on rack space.
Old 19th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
Have you considered Nave, as well? It's pretty inexpensive on an iPad, and you'd get a taste of the Quantum.

Otherwise, Nave or Largo on PC is perfectly adequate; Blofeld's interface is no great shakes and, unless you're working with it in isolation, the increased number of wavetables in the Largo overrides the sonic grit you'd get with a Microwave XT (which will, by the way, still require some menu diving if you want to truly go deep).

I used the Microwave II as my _only_ module for a couple of years, so it's a perfectly acceptable option if you're short on rack space.
I use most of those, Nave, Largo, Microwave II, and NW1
I find the Waldorf plugins over rated relative all modern wave table plugins, for example Serum
I'll explore NW1 more and compare it to Kotelnikov, but the NW1 sound uninteresting to me, and the Kotelnikov can also load wavetables
Microwave II on the other hand has some unique features, so why did Waldorf cut the plugins' features? They were probably worried that their plugin sales would eat their hardware sales, but now instead all of Waldorf's plugins and hardware sales are eaten alive by modern plugin sales
The Microwave II's features are deeper, even Serum's creator agreed to that Microwave has more advanced than Serum in some areas
But some of those can be replicated more conveniently using midi plugins and LFO and pan audio plugins
Waldorf transcended out off its own little moon, and should return immediately and upgrade Largo and Nerve free of charge (important) and release all Waldorf's (Microwave II and more) powers and move on from there with the Kyra etc
📝 Reply