The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Macbeth M5 in action Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Macbeth M5 in action

Came across this by accident, what a great jam!
What a lovely machine!

Now where did I put that winning lottery ticket......

Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Dunno...
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Soooo....that guy spend 8 zillion bucks on an M5 and a 909 and made that!? What a waste....
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolet View Post
Soooo....that guy spend 8 zillion bucks on an M5 and a 909 and made that!? What a waste....
He seemed to have had some fun in the process no?

Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolet View Post

Not everyone likes indie rock....

Im not into minimal either, but hes got one hell of a groove going on there. And hes having fun. Which at the end of the day is what matters.

alexP
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, i'd rather hear this than music for American Eagle.

The M5 is so big! And expensive.
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

So big and sooooo desirable!

Old 11th December 2009
Gear Nut

You have to get to the half-way point before it gets interesting. It is cool to see someone "play" a modular like that. On the other hand I think you could have gotten those sounds and similar results on <$500 worth of equipment... I'm not hating, just saying.

As an aside and not directly commenting on this video - I am frequently dissapointed when I watch modular videos. A fair amount of people spend a lot of money to make crappy sounds. Videos on the internets have saved me from going modular. What happened and what is wrong with making pleasing, musical sounds on a modular. I get that they are capable of going crazy but so is a $5 circuit bent toy or a WSG for that matter...
Old 11th December 2009
Deleted User
I'd hit it.
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
Not everyone likes indie rock....

Im not into minimal either, but hes got one hell of a groove going on there. And hes having fun. Which at the end of the day is what matters.

alexP
Sure, having fun matters a lot. I used to have a lot of fun with a 909 and a Macbeth M3X. But this video just doesn't really showoff the M5. It's sorta underwhelming.

Completely of topic: I knew "minimal" was back, but why did he have to bring his friends "boring" and "repetitive"?
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Maniac

his work with fever ray definitely shows his more than just minimal.
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

I love mine...

dB
Old 11th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto-bot View Post
You have to get to the half-way point before it gets interesting. It is cool to see someone "play" a modular like that. On the other hand I think you could have gotten those sounds and similar results on <$500 worth of equipment... I'm not hating, just saying.

As an aside and not directly commenting on this video - I am frequently dissapointed when I watch modular videos. A fair amount of people spend a lot of money to make crappy sounds. Videos on the internets have saved me from going modular. What happened and what is wrong with making pleasing, musical sounds on a modular. I get that they are capable of going crazy but so is a $5 circuit bent toy or a WSG for that matter...
I agree. And still keep on using my modular. heh
A number of ppl. like to make "noise" "drones" and "buchla-esk" weird noises.
It's taste, and it would be pointless to argue about it.
Plus, a lot of videos were made with crappy cams (using the audio of the built in mic).
So to conclude the machine in the video sounds like crap would be a mistake.
If you don't like crap quality, don't watch videos on youtube, buy the cd or album. thumbsup

Played with the M5 on the NAMM floor (a quiet moment thursdaymorning) and it's got a beautiful deep sound. If you know a thingy that I can get for 500 bucks that can make those sounds, please let me know ok? heh

Last edited by Reptil; 11th December 2009 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: removed video
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

How's the Macbeth Oscillator that's still on the market?
Old 11th December 2009
beautiful
the second part (called "backend") is also released soon.
a sort of turbo-charged minimoog with patchpoints. that's how it looks/sounds to me.
anyone here got one?
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

I had one... or was that in my dreams last night... Seriously awesome sounding, but killer dough. Wish there was a single Osc version.
Old 13th December 2009
Gear maniac

Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Most modular synths videos are indeed boring, but this Macbeth one has one nice groove going.
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Old 13th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekohler View Post
Most modular synths videos are indeed boring, but this Macbeth one has one nice groove going.
Agreed. I'm always amazed by just how unmusical a lot of modular synth videos are.

For another beautiful modular work out see here.
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Ken MacBeth about the M5(n):

Old 14th December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Played with the M5 on the NAMM floor (a quiet moment thursdaymorning) and it's got a beautiful deep sound. If you know a thingy that I can get for 500 bucks that can make those sounds, please let me know ok? heh
You missed my point. I imagine the M5 is a great synth, the sounds made and what was done in the video could have been done on much cheaper equipment IMHO...
Old 14th December 2009
Gear nut

Probably.. but he seems successful and getting his $6000 dollars worth of fun out of it... Hard for any of us to judge... but HE seems stoked on what he's doing.. good on him...

But yeah if you are only judging the sound... you could do it cheaper... but maybe the result would not be the same... if fact I don't think he could even recreate this without watching his video and practicing a bunch...

Having big CV faders to push and pull (non-midi) leads to different results de facto...
Old 15th December 2009
Quote:
You missed my point. I imagine the M5 is a great synth, the sounds made and what was done in the video could have been done on much cheaper equipment IMHO...
ok, probably, yes.
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

These sort of videos just fetishize the equipment, they don't really show what a synth like that is capable of. I think the vids of that guy with the electribes and evolver are far more impressive.
Old 21st March 2011
Gear nut

I think Ken Macbeth's closing comment on seen-da-sizer's link says it all really... "I think my instruments have caused a lot of people to become very happy with themselves". I think if I had one I would be very happy with myself from it as this guy is with his 909 and M5. Good on him, is the main point of making music not meant to be fun?
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

+1

I think I might call it Modular Mast***ation. The guy is grooving all over the place with to die for equipment and it sounds pretty bad. What groove too? Oh great I got the drum CV to trigger the filter or something - so what.

I have jumped on semi-modular (ARP 2600) and modular analog (Roland 700) with the clock ticking on studio time when it was much more expensive. I got interesting stuff down by doing patches in 10-15 minutes. I did not know the synths either. I then did my vocals from writing the whole song. Got it done in two takes because I had limited money. It is amazing what you can do on a limited budget and a lot of motivation. Just threw that in there because noodling does not impress me.

This guy can make low-end one or two VCO analogs sound fantastic which is far more interesting.

Realistic MG-1
YouTube - Moog Realistic MG 1

CZ-101
YouTube - Casio CZ 101
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
Beautiful!!
Yeah it's pretty good...I'd forgotten about it but I'll listen again when I get home.

I would LOVE an M5N. It is so badass. So monolithic and bright-white. I would buy it for its looks.

(whoops, not supposed to say that...)

but seriously. It looks like a giant futuristic industrial control panel and I would find that inspiring to use. Never mind that it's been shown you can get the equivalent, with modules, for slightly cheaper. Plus everything I've heard about the sound quality is that they're the tits...and I would love a big modular system. Someday.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search