The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Some Help With Choosing Effects / Dynamic Plugins... Sonnox, URS, others?
Old 9th December 2009
Here for the gear

Effects plugins help... Sonnox, URS, others?

So, I'm considering adding some high quality dynamic effect options to my plugin "rack" and I've done some research but I would like to see if there are any other apparent options that I'm missing.

I've kind of narrowed it down to either Sonnox Elite or the URS Classic Console Strip Pro. They're actually both about the same price considering the current Sonnox group buy going on @ dontcrack.com.

Now... am I right in thinking that URS CCSP is sort of an all in one combo of the URS products?

From my experience demoing there are some features that I like in the Sonnox bundle such as the warmth feature on the Dynamics plugin and the 'Enhance' feature on the Limiter, but over all I think the sound of the URS strip. It sounds pretty "warm" as is.

I would appreciate it very much if someone with more experience with these products could shed some light on their experience and recommendations. Also, if anyone could let me know of any other products I might not be aware of that you think stack up in quality? Basically I'm looking for the best native options that compare to hardware. I don't like hardware cards because I used to have a Powercore Element and it was rendered useless after PCIe slots took over. I don't want to ever deal with that again.

Mac / AU, preferably non-dongled options, but I just purchased an iLok to demo if it's a must. Anyone have experience with Focusrite Liquid Mix, how about that?

Again, any help / recommendations / knowledge on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 9th December 2009
Gear Addict

Sonnox stuff is THE STUDIO STANDART these days almost every producer/mixer have couple or more in his plug-in's arsenal cause you can't
find ANOTHER Inflator (for example)heh
Sonnox Dynamics, EQ, Inflator & Limiter is essential and very good plug-in's
URS Channel Strip PRO is very good too but for more colored stuff with all
these input stage models and the other stuff.
So for more CLEAN results Sonnox for more COLOR URS.
Old 9th December 2009
Gear Head

FORGET the liquidmix! tutt

I 've got one (LiquidMix 32). Totally disappointed about their support!
The EQs are not useable. Lowcuts doesn't work at all.
If you choose 50Hz Lowcut you get about 500Hz Lowcut.
(Every Emulation)

Every EQ-Emulation shows an odd behavior around 100-400Hz
(non symmertric, really strange frequency response).

Some Emulations are completly wrong at special settings.

The COMPs are useable and some of them really great.
For a handfull really good Compressors ok, for EQing unuseable.

regards. JayT.
PS.: I'm gonna write a detailed info about the bugs,
cause focusrite seems to ignore such requests.
If they have bugs in their frequency responses, i'm sure that their whole liquid-product line has these bugs. (Maybe not the preamp-Emus...).
Would be interesting, if there can be found some other testers....
Old 9th December 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies so far, and thanks for the heads up about the Liquid Mix, I'll stay clear of it.

Would you agree that I've narrowed it down to some good choices, any other recommendations? I would like to hear more opinions, personally I do prefer the colored options, but I do understand that's not ideal for 'mastering'.
Old 9th December 2009
What about Waves CLA bundle & H-Comp, UAD or Softube CL1b/FET?
Old 9th December 2009
Here for the gear

It looks like Classic Channel Strip Pro just went on a December sale for $399 and if you go through jrrshop.com you can get it for $359 with the forum discount. This makes it even harder to decide since both URS and Sonnox are on sale now!

I understand they're not entirely the same, because you get more specialized plugins with the Sonnox bundle. The oxford plugins sound very tight and focused, but the URS sounds warm and open....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search