The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good Modern FM Hardware Synths Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

do the lcds on the mackie C4 show you the values of hardware parameters to if you have it hooked up that way? or only if you're using it through the DAW
Old 1st December 2009
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by axm311 View Post
do the lcds on the mackie C4 show you the values of hardware parameters to if you have it hooked up that way? or only if you're using it through the DAW
Communication is one-way with MIDI hardware so no LCD or encoder feedback if the FS1R is edited from the front panel. Not anything out of the ordinary, my Remote SL is one-way as well.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

yeah thought so, would be pretty nice
Old 1st December 2009
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by axm311 View Post
would be pretty nice
Indeed.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Would be fantastic if you could take a few minutes sometime to burn a file where you're realtime tweaking the FS with the Mackie.
Old 1st December 2009
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Would be fantastic if you could take a few minutes sometime to burn a file where you're realtime tweaking the FS with the Mackie.
Not implemented yet, but when it is...
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonlux View Post
The FS1R sounds incredible to my ear, and I am so glad I finally got one. The combo of FM with the filtering, formant control, and excellent effects means that this box can do many "classic" sounds as well as more modern timbres. One thing it won't do is sound just like an 80s FM synth, so if you are looking for that kind of character, then hang onto that TX802.
Agreed 100%. Although the FS1r doesn't quite capture the grittier nature of 80's FM synths, I love that it comes with nearly every Yamaha FM patch on internal memory. Deconstructing some of these old patches (especially with an editor) is about as good a way to learn FM synthesis as anything. I know I'm preaching to the choir in this particular thread but Yamaha's operator/algorithm FM architecture is still incredibly powerful and flexible, especially when coupled with a competent filter/effects engine as in the FS1r.
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Nut

Blofeld does FM also right?
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by choice_of_meat View Post
Blofeld does FM also right?

Yes, but it's a very different implementation from Yamaha's algorithm/operator system. I'm speaking out of school since I don't own a Blofeld, but I believe that each of the Blofeld's 3 oscillators can be frequency modulated by a variety of modulators including its LFOs, EGs, noise, and the other 3 oscillators. Again, I haven't programmed a Blofeld myself, but at least in theory that's a pretty flexible and powerful implementation of FM, albeit short of a full blown dedicated FM synth. For example, you could select a wavetable for one oscillator and then use that oscillator as a complex FM source for a second oscillator. You could also simulate a simple 3 operator stack from a DX7 by having osc 1 serve as FM source for osc 2 which would serve as FM source for osc 3. Of course, the Blofeld also comes with Waldorf wavetables and other goodies.

If you can't tell, I'm very interested in the Blofeld!
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I believe that each of the Blofeld's 3 oscillators can be frequency modulated by a variety of modulators including its LFOs, EGs, noise, and the other 3 oscillators
Correct. Not a full-blown 6 operator FM synth by any means, but capable (as I wrote above) of producing many characteristic FM timbres.
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Addict

Hello - I am trying to run that program on a Macbook Pro running OSX Tiger 10.4.11 - it won't load, just gives me the "Application has quit enexpectedly" message. Do you have any thoughts on why I can't get it to run? Also in Portland...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
there are free ones that work perfectly on mac and PC.

FS1R Editor English Version - Download -

i edit from the front panel at times and it's not that bad but i only do it when i'm tired of looking at the monitor.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I bought a Yamaha FS1r about a month ago and sold it very quickly!
Not sure why, but it was just way too clean and sterile sounding. Sat horribly in a mix as well! I can only put it down to the convertors, because I think the opposite of the old generation of DX synths i.e. TX81Z
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
The Fusion FM is much different than the Ion/Micron.
It's what you might consider 'advanced FM'.
Full fledged 6 operators, with unlimited algorithms. Any operator can modulate any other operator or feedback to itself.
There are 6 operator types to choose from. The display pages remind me a bit of FM8. One difference from traditional FM is that instead of setting 'ratios' between modulator/carrier, you're working with semitone intervals instead.
You'e got eight envelopes and eight lfo's that can be assigned to the usual destinations. It's pretty clean sounding, but can be pushed into the expected FM mayhem.
That sounds sick.

The Fusion also is a sampler, right? Can sampled sounds be used instead of a waveform? And are there any examples of this Fusion FM around? A quick trip to Youtube and google revealed nothing.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell View Post
I bought a Yamaha FS1r about a month ago and sold it very quickly!
Not sure why, but it was just way too clean and sterile sounding. Sat horribly in a mix as well! I can only put it down to the convertors, because I think the opposite of the old generation of DX synths i.e. TX81Z
You might be right, but i think that the criterion of how well a synth sits in a mix shouldn't be so strong when someone chooses a synth. FS1R is a very complex and modern sounding synthesizer with which some people can do miracles..its a matter of taste. I would love to have one if it had a better interface...even if it was hard to mix it with other instruments...

DX era has gone and i wouldn't expect to see similar hardware converter designs in the future...
Old 2nd December 2009
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Wind View Post
Hello - I am trying to run that program on a Macbook Pro running OSX Tiger 10.4.11 - it won't load, just gives me the "Application has quit enexpectedly" message. Do you have any thoughts on why I can't get it to run? Also in Portland...
Do you have the FS1R connected when you launch the editor?
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Addict

Yes, I do. Without the FS hooked up, I get a message telling me to attach an FS1R and reload program. When I do so, I get the Application has Quit message. Program has never loaded. Have tried various cables, checked menus in FS for any possible clues. Very frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T71 View Post
Do you have the FS1R connected when you launch the editor?

Last edited by Crawling Wind; 2nd December 2009 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: .
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Lots of good suggestions here. I still am liking the idea of the Microwave XT but maybe I should look at this more for wavetable. FM is an added bonus with this synth maybe.

From what people have suggested it sounds like the FS1R would be the most powerfull FM synth. I really like the fact that the DX200 has knobs for editing though. One of the reasons I'm thinking of selling the TX-802 is because of the interface. Although the FS1R screen is a little bigger it doesn't seem like a big step forward in that area. I guess the editor would help with this. Has anyone compared the FS1R and DX200 side by side? How does the DX200 sound? Can it really do full on FM or is it just a YAMAHA PSR slammed into a groove box?

Also, what is a fair going rate for the TX-802, FS1R and TX200 used?
Old 2nd December 2009
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
How does the DX200 sound? Can it really do full on FM or is it just a YAMAHA PSR slammed into a groove box?
The DX200 is a PLG150-DX in a box. You could literally remove the PLG150-DX from a DX200 and slap it in a Yamaha S90(not that you would want to).

PLG150DX
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
Lots of good suggestions here. I still am liking the idea of the Microwave XT but maybe I should look at this more for wavetable. FM is an added bonus with this synth maybe.

From what people have suggested it sounds like the FS1R would be the most powerfull FM synth. I really like the fact that the DX200 has knobs for editing though. One of the reasons I'm thinking of selling the TX-802 is because of the interface. Although the FS1R screen is a little bigger it doesn't seem like a big step forward in that area. I guess the editor would help with this. Has anyone compared the FS1R and DX200 side by side? How does the DX200 sound? Can it really do full on FM or is it just a YAMAHA PSR slammed into a groove box?

Also, what is a fair going rate for the TX-802, FS1R and TX200 used?
The DX200 can do full on FM in that it is a standard 6-op FM synth (like your TX-802). Given that you already have TX802, I wouldn't mess with a DX200 unless you really wanted the sequencer/groovebox functions. Comparing the FS1r to the DX200 is a bit apples to oranges, because while similar, the FS1r basically has a completely rebuilt (IMO improved) synth engine: 8 vs. 6 operators, multiwaveform vs. sine wave operators, a formant filter engine, and a superior effects/filter engine. While limited, the FS1r has a decent screen and interface (it does have a few knobs) and it's about as logical and useable as could be expected for a 1r unit. Bottom line, you'll want to use an editor with any of these synths.

In terms of resale, I think the TX-802 will be pretty low, probably less than $100. The FS1r usually goes for around $400 (at least when I bought mine). I have no idea what the DX200 sells for.

If I was you, I would probably keep the TX-802 since you're not going to be able to sell it for much anyway, and try to find a software editor that you can use with it. Coupled with even a cheap external effects/filter unit, you can do a lot with it! You can always upgrade to an FS1r later if you really get into the FM sound. If not, you can put that money into something else (like a wavetable synth!)
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

yeah the tx802 is cheap as piss, i always am on the fence on grabbing one but i know ill never end up using it because of the interface
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
The FS1r usually goes for around $400 (at least when I bought mine). I have no idea what the DX200 sells for.
About $600-$700 currently for an FS1R.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

noisebug has a DX200 for $299 in the used section.

Noisebug
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Schiller View Post
That sounds sick.

The Fusion also is a sampler, right? Can sampled sounds be used instead of a waveform? And are there any examples of this Fusion FM around? A quick trip to Youtube and google revealed nothing.

In the actual FM section - your oscillator choices are: sine, sine square root, sine squared, sine warp, or white noise.

You can FM samples in the sample playback mode though. I think it's similar to the Yamaha SY series (not sure - never had an SY).

Anyways, you can select the source sample, and an amount. I've tried things like FM'ing strings with a flute with good results.
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

FM8?
Old 3rd December 2009
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
FM8?
There's a hardware version?!!
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Haha, no. I didn't see the "hardware" in the title at first =o]

I'd say the best option would be the SY-77/99. You have the ability to use the AWM Samples as modulators for the FM Engine.
Old 16th March 2010
Here for the gear

FS1R reads DX7

The FS1R can read DX7 sysex data. Don't know how this helps with a TX802 though.
Old 16th March 2010
Here for the gear

Alesis fusion

The Alesis fusion doesn't seem to have been that successful a synth yet on paper it has great specs. Anyone know why?
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Hey, I'd completely forgotten about that one. Is it any good? Seems there would be potential there.
it's fantastic. if you can program it. which is quite literally impossible without a computer. the knobs on the fornt are only half the interface
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Blofeld is not a pure FM synths. But it does not offer fm on its 3 oscilator, not all in both of tis filter but even its modulation because it can reach audio range it can be used for powerful fm.

So yes I would certainly recommend it. And passing wavetables through FM is always loads of fun.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search